• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
The newest PRO is quieter because they changed the fan curve, or maybe the fan itself, as shown by ~5* hotter temps. I don't think there was any design change. Hard to find much info about it because every single news source used the DF video as source.
They did use a different fan, and altering that, and possibly the fan's logic, is a design change. They made the device much quieter, is the point. A very quiet PS5 isn't unlikely. (Though to be fair, neither is a loud PS5.)

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think the idea is anyone who really cares about 4K 60 and beyond are not going to want an image compressed to hell and will put a console under their TV.

What if you aren't able to see the difference? There are plenty of reports online from people who got hands on with stadia and didn't notice a difference beetween playing on a xbox or a stream.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think we gonna have a full reveal from next xbox on E3 but lets see what happens
They mentioned next gen on stage last year and Bethesda announced two next gen exclusives. I feel like it would be really weird if Xbox didn't announce it. They announced X1X 18 months ahead so idk. Maybe you will be right tho but with no Sony show it seems like a great opportunity for Xbox

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Price points will maybe be worse than we expecting (at least in the US)

President Trump proposes import tax on gaming consoles due to China trade war
The trade war rages on.

What you need to know

• China and the United States are currently engaged in a trade war.
  • President Trump has proposed a 25 percent import tax on consoles.
  • The existing import tax is only 10 percent.
  • Discussions are still taking place to avoid this.

windowscentral.com

Last edited:

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
They mentioned next gen on stage last year and Bethesda announced two next gen exclusives. I feel like it would be really weird if Xbox didn't announce it. They announced X1X 18 months ahead so idk. Maybe you will be right tho but with no Sony show it seems like a great opportunity for Xbox
I think Xbox will have a fantastic E3 I just don't believe in a full reveal of next-gen with specs and everything so early.

Oct 27, 2017
I think Xbox will have a fantastic E3 I just don't believe in a full reveal of next-gen with specs and everything so early.
I got to wonder what they will show then?

Gears 5 and maybe Halo Infinite but the rumored Fable game is surely next gen. Any projects from their recently bought studios are likely next gen. Maybe cross gen idk. Just would be weird for them to mention it in 2018, say nothing in 2019, and wait until 2020 for a reveal imo but we will see

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Lads...

The timeline is;

- Trailer for MW4 in early June.

- Nothing about it during E3 (Activision doesn't have a booth)

- Playable at Sony's event.

The PS5 reveal is most probably after E3.

Wait, wait. Did I miss something?.

Not only does Sony has an "event" during E3 season now, but they are also potentially announcing PS5 during E3?.

Last I heard Sony was doing another State of Play in the future but no more than that. Is this newly released info?

Oct 27, 2017
Got to admit it's an interesting strategy:

• Sony withdrawl from E3 - "We've nothing to report"
  • MS plan to give third parties a platform at E3 to show off their wares - Sony isn't there, so why not bask in the glow of the games?
  • Sony pre-announces PS5 a week before E3 - boom!
  • MS E3 turns into a damp squib

Last edited:

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
What if you aren't able to see the difference? There are plenty of reports online from people who got hands on with stadia and didn't notice a difference beetween playing on a xbox or a stream.
Those reports are based on 1080p 30fps SDR (8 bit colour), with the expectation for parity being 4K 60fps HDR (10 or even 12 bit color). The resolution and frame rate alone would require 8x the bandwidth of people's hands on with Stadia. HDR ads another roughly 15-20% from what I've read, making it roughly 10x required bandwidth compared to stadia's beta.

If you look at youtube's recommended bit rates for vide uploads, it's 8Mbps for 1080p 30 fps, and 70Mbps for 4K 60fps videos in SDR.

All that being said, if they are able to deliver the video quality, a very small percentage of the US will be able to to have a non-compromised experience.

Munki

Apr 30, 2019
Would it make sense with all the Ps5 "leaks" that it's actually closer to launch than the NextBox? There seems to be a crap load of info on the PS5 where there is almost ZERO for NextBox. Or MS has really got its shit on lock at the moment... I want leaks damnit!!

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I honestly wouldn't mind seeing an official Cerny presentation in the next couple of months... but having to wait until November 2020 for a product seems like a bit much to me.

It was already hard when in Feb 2013 they announced the PS4 and we had to wait until November for the console, let alone waiting more than one year.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
Lads...

The timeline is;

- Trailer for MW4 in early June.

- Nothing about it during E3 (Activision doesn't have a booth)

- Playable at Sony's event.

The PS5 reveal is most probably after E3.

Same guy said MW4 reveal will be on May 30th, not June... so we'll be finding out the truth soon enough.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Price points will maybe be worse than we expecting (at least in the US)

President Trump proposes import tax on gaming consoles due to China trade war
The trade war rages on.

What you need to know

• China and the United States are currently engaged in a trade war.
  • President Trump has proposed a 25 percent import tax on consoles.
  • The existing import tax is only 10 percent.
  • Discussions are still taking place to avoid this.

windowscentral.com
Alt right anti SJWers be like

giphy.gif

Feb 10, 2018
Got to admit it's an interesting strategy:

• Sony withdrawl from E3 - "We've nothing to report"
  • MS plan to give third parties a platform at E3 to show of their wares - Sony isn't there, so why not bask in the glow of the games?
  • Sony pre-announces PS5 a week before E3 - boom!
  • MS E3 turns into damp squip

If Sony did announce PS5 a week before E3, MS would just announce at E3 and steal there thunder.
But I don't think we will hear anything about PS5 for a while otherwise they would not of done the wired interview.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Per the recent investor meeting, Sony are targeting 1080p60 for Now on the new gen, not 4K. I don't think this is really a technical issue, but strategic. Unlike Google, they'll also be selling local hardware, and a differentiation between offering tiers is a benefit. PS5 for core, Now for casual.

No Sony said they were implementing 1080p and beyond, they never said they were limiting themselves to only 1080p. Also there was no indication that they were going to have to wait until the next gen hardware became available to implement a resolution boost, that could very well come before next gen hits.

That will be okay I guess but in the future they'll have to keep updating the service. Google is already promising 8K 120 FPS later after the service goes live.

The PS5 hardware will be capable of 8K resolutions and since it'll be HDMI 2.1 compliant it'll also be capable of doing 120 FPS if they want it to (not necessarily together). My guess is we'll get 8K games that're upscaled using a variant of checkerboard rendering.

As for Stadia, there's no timeframe on that at all, it's just a bullet point until Google decides to give more info.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
No Sony said they were implementing 1080p and beyond, they never said they were limiting themselves to only 1080p. Also there was no indication that they were going to have to wait until the next gen hardware became available to implement a resolution boost, that could very well come before next gen hits.

The PS5 hardware will be capable of 8K resolutions and since it'll be HDMI 2.1 compliant it'll also be capable of doing 120 FPS if they want it to (not necessarily together). My guess is we'll get 8K games that're upscaled using a variant of checkerboard rendering.

As for Stadia, there's no timeframe on that at all, it's just a bullet point until Google decides to give more info.
8K why, there are barely no screen at that definition and it won't change before mid next gen. The PS 5 pro will be the 8K console.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no legit pastebin leaks.

Only ones we chose to believe.

It's like choosing a god and at this moment im fucking agnostic over everything.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
8K why, there are barely no screen at that definition and it won't change before mid next gen. The PS 5 pro will be the 8K console.

Sony has already mentioned 8K, we just don't know how extensive it will be. Keep in mind the PS5 will be on the market for 6 or 7 years and Sony have 8K TVs to sell, it makes sense that they'll want the PS5 to be as cqpable of 8K as possible to give buyers a reason to get a new TV

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Sony has already mentioned 8K, we just don't know how extensive it will be. Keep in mind the PS5 will be on the market for 6 or 7 years and Sony have 8K TVs to sell, it makes sense that they'll want the PS5 to be as cqpable of 8K as possible to give buyers a reason to get a new TV
The 8K output is included with the HDMI 2.1 specification. I wouldn't put too much weight into this, really. It is just a marketing checkbox checked.

Oct 25, 2017

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
Just took a look at the new 'who replied' feature for this thread... can't say I'm surprised by the results lol.

Jun 18, 2018
Am I hallucinating or does that preview thumbnail really say PS5 Pro Navi 9

It's poorly explained, but check out the comment at the end of that PS5 'Pro' line and the author says they expect the GPU in the PS5 to get up to a 20% boost over current dev kit performance levels. Labelling it a "Pro" PS5 was a bad choice.

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt they'll be revealing the ps5 so soon. Remember they confirmed the console is at least a year away.

What I think is happening is: COD insider hears the info that Modern Warfare is getting a trailer May 30th and will be playable later in a June Sony event, along with other Sony exclusives. I think hes assuming those 3 big Sony exclusives are next gen and thats where the official PS5 announcement will take place.

I believe its just a behind doors closed preview event for the media as Sony has done this before many times. The new COD will probably be huge for Playstation and If the rumours are true, TLOU2 is suposed to be out this fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.