• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2017
All I know is during any reveal I will be spamming Amazon looking for the pre order button.

Its so nice to know you have one at your door release day.

But damn i looked at Amazon every day and my status order bar took a long time to fill up.

OP
OP
Phoenix Splash
Mar 23, 2018
Moore's Law is Dead posted another vid. some speculation about roadmaps and ps5 Pro
https://youtu.be/ZlWMUUPVdCw

dSYtfOI.jpg

Aaaaw no. I refuse to do this. I'm refusing.

'nothing is true, everything is permitted' should be the next thread sub title.
Hey Phoenix Splash ,
you see the quote above (bolded)? The Endless Cycle Committee recommends something similar as our next thread title, maybe "permitted" replaced by "confirmed". It really fits if we look back into this thread and the inflation of pastebin/insane rumors. KTHXBAI

Brought to you by Pastebin, the leaking platform of choice™️

10 out of 14 would recommend it!

Hmmmmm

HMMMMMMMMMM

You know... I'd like to see it happening because this is gonna be really spicy if we're getting Xbox and PS5 news during the same week. It makes no sense whatsoever to me, but I'll gladly be wrong on this one

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
From the Call of Duty thread:

OP, please add this to the front post or add as threadmark:

•4 Player Co-Op Campaign Spec Ops is Back
•Mixture of MW2/MW3 Maps
•No Exclusive Marketing This Year
•Reveal in a week or two followed by live gameplay at E3

Source

Obviously this is a rumor as its unconfirmed and is not verified, but the poster in question has a good track record of having accurate information.

"No exclusive marketing this year"

Interesting. But why?

Maybe because it will be released on a next-gen platform this year?

- If company A releases a next-gen platform, they don't need exclusive marketing, because everybody knows it will be the best version.

- And company B wouldn't want exclusive marketing, because it won't matter much.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it ok if I paste another baseless speculation on Era here? Can I get confirmation that I wont get murdered?

eh fuck it you guys know where to find the rumors.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

Interesting. But why?

- If company A releases a next-gen platform, they don't need exclusive marketing, because everybody knows it will be the best version.

- And company B wouldn't want exclusive marketing, because it won't matter much.

Hmmmm...

cc: BitsandBytes

Nov 12, 2017
You could hear a pin drop in here.

This is why both Sony/MS camps are watching the news flow so closely to see what's happening with the competition.

Both sides have no idea what the competition is cooking up and where they are on the performance curves and how that stacks up with their own offerings.

It's obvious.
No no no and no and no no no this is not absolutely how it work ..you think that Spencer or Cerny get their info from tweeter and era? They have a very good idea on what their competitor can cook up and very likely have insider (not official) info years before we even know ....of what they have behind the scene
You think that Mercedes don't know what BMW is going to launch and with what "specs" ? Cmon
The fact is that some think theres a "war" but the reality so just that they have their plans and they stick with it

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
It will be. They already shown a ratio of 10, it is just the beginning.
I mean, 10x improvement is always impressive, but that just brings a 60 second load down to 6 seconds, and that's not instant. It is a game changer though.

Was talking with friends, chewing through the idea that each Playstation has had ~16x the memory of the previous one, which would have put this coming gen at 128GB, which is crazy, as that's an entire optical disc in memory. But what would that enable? The whole map at every detail level instantly available to the GPU? So anyway, that was one end, shitty HDD is the other, and SSD gets us to a point inbetween.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't even imagine there being a ps5 pro to Microsoft's anaconda. It's too much for my brain.

As far as COD not having an exclusive marketing deal, I don't think that means anything at all. Are there any numbers that show exclusive marketing deals actually work?

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Interesting. But why?

Well Sony does have a lock on the CoD franchise right?

New Battlefield will probably be advertised heavily by MS.

Munki

Apr 30, 2019
Jun 18, 2018
8K why, there are barely no screen at that definition and it won't change before mid next gen. The PS 5 pro will be the 8K console.

It's been reported in the past that big Japanese display manufacturers focused on developing 8K over 4K due to S Korean manufacturers being able to compete quickly and easy in the 4K market. Sony actually use LG panels in their 4K tvs.

To further that, Japan will also be broadcasting the 2020 Olympics in 8K.

So, Sony want hardware to encourage people to move to 8K. It doesn't matter if consoles are native 8K or not, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see some early titles with resolutions between 4K & 8K to help push this.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
*shrugs* I ain't got a clue if this means anything. Could just be COD is losing its grip as a big TP game?

I also don't know what to make of this,frankly.I wonder how much "partnership" with COD costed Sony...i bet it was very expensive and maybe they decided to invest that money elsewhere...or they are just keeping powder dry for next gen COD in 2020.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Price points will maybe be worse than we expecting (at least in the US)

President Trump proposes import tax on gaming consoles due to China trade war
The trade war rages on.

What you need to know

• China and the United States are currently engaged in a trade war.
  • President Trump has proposed a 25 percent import tax on consoles.
  • The existing import tax is only 10 percent.
  • Discussions are still taking place to avoid this.

windowscentral.com

This isn't good.

The orange man strikes again..

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Sony announcing the PS5 a week before E3 sounds like some sort of fan fiction, not a sane business strategy. You generally want to control the news cycle for as long as possible, so the only way you announce before a big event is if you're 100% confident you aren't going to be pushed out of the spotlight immediately. It just doesn't sound plausible. The week before E3 is also Apple's annual developer conference, so that will tie up a good chunk of attention from the technology press.

Could there be a current generation State of Play? Sure. Something low key to keep a steady trickle of information going and be slotted into E3 coverage. Why not. Major news, though, would be far better positioned after E3 to take back the conversation. Even then, this strikes me as pretty early to be covering much in depth. I'd expect a steady drip of Wired-style articles leading up to the main event instead.

Oct 27, 2017
I also don't know what to make of this,frankly.I wonder how much "partnership" with COD costed Sony...i bet it was very expensive and maybe they decided to invest that money elsewhere...or they are just keeping powder dry for next gen COD in 2020.
You have to wonder how much value it is for Sony/MS at the tail end of a gen vs at the beginning of one. If the numbers were closer maybe it might be worth something PR wise, but even then at the end of a gen I just don't think it has the same value.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Price points will maybe be worse than we expecting (at least in the US)

President Trump proposes import tax on gaming consoles due to China trade war
The trade war rages on.

What you need to know

• China and the United States are currently engaged in a trade war.
  • President Trump has proposed a 25 percent import tax on consoles.
  • The existing import tax is only 10 percent.
  • Discussions are still taking place to avoid this.

windowscentral.com

And now $499 is a lock no matter what specs we're talking about.

Jun 18, 2018
I can't even imagine there being a ps5 pro to Microsoft's anaconda. It's too much for my brain.

Thankfully there isn't (that we know of), it's a poorly worded table. Head further right to the description and you see that the writer predicts that there will be a newer revision of the PS5 devkit with a faster GPU that should more closely resemble final release hardware. They called it the "Pro" to be clever, but it's caused confusion and put people off of their leak.

Oct 27, 2017
Let's say the tariffs stay, that's a 15% increase over the present day 10% tariff. So theoretically, a $430 console sold at a $30 loss for $400 would turn into a $494 console? Am I doing this right? Or would the tax only apply to the finished product when it ships from factories to other countries? Either way, that's 15% less on each unit console makers will get and 15% of $400 is $60. Not a small sum by any means.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
Sony announcing the PS5 a week before E3 sounds like some sort of fan fiction, not a sane business strategy. You generally want to control the news cycle for as long as possible, so the only way you announce before a big event is if you're 100% confident you aren't going to be pushed out of the spotlight immediately. It just doesn't sound plausible. The week before E3 is also Apple's annual developer conference, so that will tie up a good chunk of attention from the technology press.

Could there be a current generation State of Play? Sure. Something low key to keep a steady trickle of information going and be slotted into E3 coverage. Why not. Major news, though, would be far better positioned after E3 to take back the conversation. Even then, this strikes me as pretty early to be covering much in depth. I'd expect a steady drip of Wired-style articles leading up to the main event instead.
Agreed. Only reason I can see them deciding to reveal it that close to E3, if they are certain their final hardware trumps Microsofts Final hardware so the narrative around next box is it's disadvantaged the moment it's revealed, and if these consoles are launching Fall 2020, it would be hard to be certain about that.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
In the latest Remastered podcast, Shahid Ahmad, ex of Playstation, talks about how fluid console plans are, even late in the process (he's referring to PS4 here). There are no major revelations, but it's fascinating to hear how open to change the whole console plan is, specific hardware like GPU notwithstanding.

He talks about it from 41:00 to 44:00:

Thanks! I love this kind of inside look

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
What I am fearing is tht Sony may release a 500 GB SSD only PS5 at launch to cut launch price. They may release a 1TB PS5 later when prices get more stable just like what happened with PS4.
No way I am going to get any machine that has 500 GB storage only even if it has the fastest SSD. 1 TB isn't even enough, even 2TB isn't enough, let alone for heavier next-gen games.
I would be willing to pay the extra 50 bucks if they opt for 500 GB more.
In that case, they should release 2 models at launch.
My advice and suggestion would be: a 449 $ PS5 with 500 GB and a 499 $ model with 1TB. That would be the best solution. They don't have to wait years to release a 1TB model with a original price like with PS4. they can launch 2 models then cut prices later.

Status
Not open for further replies.