• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
So Benji, north America sales insider, now has xbox insider information? Or do you actually think he's only hyping since we know the length of the show? (Which is what I think)

I don't like that many of these insiders, once they have an audience, start doing this and everybody thinks everything from them is inside news. It gets ridiculous
Hyping the length of the show would be odd as last year MS had a 2hr slot as well. And I'm sure he knows it too.

Oct 25, 2017
If at this e3 Ms go out saying they will have the most powerful console it will be 100% this time.....if they say nothing ...ps5 will be more powerful that's for sure
I don't think them not saying anything will mean they don't have the most powerful console. It is just that they can't say it with certainty just yet. I've always been of the mind that those type of statements will come out once all the specs from both MS and Sony have been revealed and confirmed. Neither MS or Sony can say without a doubt they have the stronger console right now. Especially considering smaller changes can happen from now all the way to Nov 2020.

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
What are you talking about the x is out there and is the most powerful console in the market......last e3 was the first time Spencer talked about next generation and how they want be the most powerful again

E3 2016: Scorpio is coming, so please wait
E3 2017: The X is coming, so please wait
E3 2018: Next-gen is coming, so please wait
E3 2019 (?): Anaconda is coming, so please wait

To me, constantly talking about hardware coming soon, shows little confidence in what you are selling right now.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
If at this e3 Ms go out saying they will have the most powerful console it will be 100% this time.....if they say nothing ...ps5 will be more powerful that's for sure

Could you please define "most powerful"? I've mentioned before but it's a pretty ambiguous statement. For example, would they have the most powerful console in terms of CPU, GPU, RAM amount and/or speed, SSD tech, raytracing implementation, something else? Some of those things? All of those things? So even if MS were to make that statement, how do we know what aspects they're referring to until we get specs for both consoles?

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, pastebin and 4chan anonymous is better.
LMAO
It's really not much of a leap to assume Benji knows some developers and/or has some non-sales industry contacts.

Both Jason Schreier and Benji have been pretty reasonable over the last year or so, yet seem to attract a bizarre undercurrent of real hostility in here.

Last edited:

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think them not saying anything will mean they don't have the most powerful console. It is just that they can't say it with certainty just yet. I've always been of the mind that those type of statements will come out once all the specs from both MS and Sony have been revealed and confirmed. Neither MS or Sony can say without a doubt they have the stronger console right now.

Agree, except that the words they use at E3 are definitely of interest.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
E3 2016: Scorpio is coming, so please wait
E3 2017: The X is coming, so please wait
E3 2018: Next-gen is coming, so please wait
E3 2019 (?): Anaconda is coming, so please wait

To me, constantly talking about hardware coming soon, shows little confidence in what you are selling right now.

Whatever you're up to here, it would be nice if you'd stop.

It's really not much of leap to assume Benji knows some developers and/or has some non-sales industry contacts.

Both Jason Schreier and Benji have been pretty reasonable over the last year or so, yet seem to attract a bizarre undercurrent of real hostility in here.

I've no idea where you're seeing hostility, is it not okay to question these statements?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
They will just say the same statement they did before of "setting the benchmark" or whatever that is not explicit about its meaning.
And in general you put way too much faith into PR that can be interpreted in multiple ways (what does most powerful mean? Highest TF? Best effective performance in game? Fastest CPU? Fastest memory?)
Could you please define "most powerful"? I've mentioned before but it's a pretty ambiguous statement. For example, would they have the most powerful console in terms of CPU, GPU, RAM amount and/or speed, SSD tech, raytracing implementation, something else? Some of those things? All of those things? So even if MS were to make that statement, how do we know what aspects they're referring to until we get specs for both consoles?
Seems like both of us had the same thought haha. There are just too many ways to spin "most powerful" that the statement is meaningless.
You know what statement cannot be spinned in comparision? What cerny said in the wired article "higher bandwidth than any ssd on the market right now", that is a clear goal that is measurable, and why i found it easier to instantly take than MS's.

Oct 25, 2017
X is the strongest and they have made those statements, but they have never really gone into the specifics that make it the case (i.e, "our TF number is the highest"). They'll probably just keep it vague. I think keeping it simple works well with the broader audience.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
I would keep hype in check. Gears 5 + Ori 2 + Halo: Infinite + FH4 DLC + Ninja Theory's new IP + 3rd Party announcements like From Software and Rocksteady would already make for a hell of a conference. And possibly MS's best of this gen.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
X is the strongest and they have made those statements, but they have never really gone into the specifics that make it the case (i.e, "our TF number is the highest"). They'll probably just keep it vague.

Well that's my point. My guess has always been that Anaconda will have some aspects in which it's superior to the PS5, and the PS5 will have some aspects in which it's superior to Anaconda. That's why declaring "most powerful console" is ambiguous because we won't know in what way it will be the most powerful.

Oct 25, 2017
Well that's my point. My guess has always been that Anaconda will have some aspects in which it's superior to the PS5, and the PS5 will have some aspects in which it's superior to Anaconda. That's why declaring "most powerful console" is ambiguous because we won't know in what way it will be the most powerful.
Right, that is what I was saying with the X/Pro. What specifically gives MS the ability to call it the strongest? It has never been examined. We just roll with it.

It'll be more of the same next gen.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
6.65tf lockhart and 10tf anaconda sounds possible but 32gb gddr6 not so much

Agreed that the clocks speeds and CU counts look saner than usual for rumors, but the Anaconda 3DMark score being more than double the Lockhart score? With less than double the theoretical peak performance and the same type of RAM? I don't think so. Not to mention doubling down on the power of the cloud to help boost local performance, which would rightfully draw immediate mockery. There may yet be some value out of server-side assistance but I don't think we'll see some buzzword branded pitch day one after what we saw this generation unless their marketing folks are utterly tone deaf.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017

and whatever each consoles secret sauce is will be proclaimed as the BIG DEAL for each side in the great console war of next gen. its already begun by the way!

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
EDIT: As much as I hate pastebin rumours (I feel dirty admitting that I even checked)... I don't think anyone has added this yet.

Microsoft Next Generation Systems
  1. SDK
  2. CPU: 3.3 GHz
  3. GPU: 1550 MHz / 64
  4. Ram: 64GB DDR4
  5. Storage: 2TB SSD
  6. HDMI: 2 x Spec 2.1

7. XB Entry Model
  8. CPU: 3.3 GHz
  9. GPU: 1300 MHz 40a (2nd generation Scorpio Engine)
  10. Ram: 16GB GDDR6
  11. Storage: 1TB SSD
  12. Disc: UHD (spec 1)
  13. HDMI: Spec 2.1
  14. Audio: AMD TA/TAN
  15. CAFÉ: Cloud assisted ray-tracing, physics, pre-compute mesh and LOD asset assist.
  16. 3DM Score: 7376
  17. 3DM Score: (CAFÉ enabled): 9744

18. XB Premium Model
  19. CPU: 3.3 GHz
  20. GPU: 1400 MHz 56a (2nd generation Scorpio Engine)
  21. Ram: 32GB GDDR6
  22. Storage: 1TB SSD
  23. Disc: UHD (spec 1)
  24. HDMI: Spec 2.1
  25. Audio: AMD TA/TAN
  26. CAFÉ: Cloud assisted ray-tracing, physics, pre-compute mesh and LOD asset assist.
  27. 3DM Score: 18226
  28. 3DM Score: (CAFÉ enabled): 21277
All these pastebin leaks, they are anonymous and anyone can post anything so I wouldn't take anything from there very seriously. This is the best one I've seen from pastebin and even this one has some weird stuff in it, so I wouldn't take anything seriously:
Xbox Infinite (Anaconda)

Die - 352mm^2

GPU - 11.1TFLOP/s
Details: 64 CU, 8 disabled, 56 active, 1548MHz.

CPU - 8 cores, 16 threads, 3.3GHz.
Details: Zen 2.

Memory - 24GB GDDR6, 4GB DDR4.
Details: Samsung's K4ZAF325BM-HC14 clocked at 3300MHz, 13.2Gb/s, 12 chips, 384-bit, 634GB/s. 24GB GDDR6 is available for developers, 3GB DDR4 dedicated to the OS, 1GB DDR4 dedicated to the SSD.

Storage - 256GB NVMe SSD, 2TB HDD
Details: Players don't have access to the SSD, the 2TB drive is replaceable, an external drive works too. The OS manages the SSD for caching, Microsoft is using machine learning algorithms for analyzing games while they are being played on the development kit, the algorithm keeps track of what blocks are being used and what blocks are most likely to be used next while developers are playing the games for thousands of hours. The OS keeps on the SSD only relevant blocks to the last known player position in the game. For example, if the player is in level 3, the OS won't load level 6 to the SSD until the player reaches level 5. The SSD also keeps a compressed memory snapshot when a game is closed for fast launching the game to the spot the player had left it. Developers have some control over what is stored on the SSD by marking a block's priority level if they wish to do so. If a player hasn't touched a game for a while, if necessary its' memory snapshot and or data will get dumped from the SSD.

Cooling - vapor chamber

External media drive - Blu-ray optical drive

Price - 499$

------------------------------------------------------------------

Xbox Infinite Value (Lockhart)

Die - 288mm^2

GPU - 4.98TFLOP/s
Detail: 40CU, 4 disabled, 36 active, 1081MHz.

CPU - 8 cores, 16 threads, 3.3GHz.

Memory - 18GB GDDR6, 4GB DDR4.
Details: 2600Hz, 10.4Gb/s, 9 chips, 288-bit, 374GB/s.

Storage - 120GB NVMe SSD, 1TB HDD

Cooling - Blower fan

External media drive - None

Price - 299$

------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of the recommendations from Microsoft to developers:
- Develop your game to the Xbox Infinite as a lead platform.
- Xbox Infinite Value was built to run even sub-4K Xbox Infinite games in Full HD.
- Xbox Infinite Value version is allowed to run above 1080p, but it isn't allowed to have better graphical features, higher fidelity or frame-rate than the Xbox Infinite.
- Microsoft recommends using any leftover headroom on the Xbox Infinite Value GPU to increase resolution.

OP
OP
Phoenix Splash
Mar 23, 2018

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
Whatever you're up to here, it would be nice if you'd stop.

That MS has recently mostly talked about hardware it will release rather than what it has released shouldn't be a surprise.

It doesn't even need to be a negative!
It shows they're forward-thinking and committed to the console business, at a time when some where doubting that commitment.

However, speaking strictly as an OG Xbox One owner, and as someone who hasn't bought much into their ecosystem, it's been a bit frustrating.

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Lol I mean full specs

That's not how this works lol

Can't blame me for trying!

That MS has recently mostly talked about hardware it will release rather than what it has released shouldn't be a surprise.

It doesn't even need to be a negative!
It shows they're forward-thinking and committed to the console business, at a time when some where doubting that commitment.

However, speaking strictly as an OG Xbox One owner, and as someone who hasn't bought much into their ecosystem, it's been a bit frustrating.

Apologies. I thought you were being disingenuous and trying to stir the thread up

Nov 12, 2017
They will just say the same statement they did before of "setting the benchmark" or whatever that is not explicit about its meaning.
And in general you put way too much faith into PR that can be interpreted in multiple ways (what does most powerful mean? Highest TF? Best effective performance in game? Fastest CPU? Fastest memory?)

Seems like both of us had the same thought haha. There are just too many ways to spin "most powerful" that the statement is meaningless.
You know what statement cannot be spinned in comparision? What cerny said in the wired article "higher bandwidth than any ssd on the market right now", that is a clear goal that is measurable, and why i found it easier to instantly take than MS's.
cmon guys ... for decades we have (albeit i admit superficially) based on teraflops to quantify the power of a console ... the next generation will be the same.
I am still convinced that microsoft will release a console with the highest BOM of the 2 ... and that therefore Sony has a 399 console with some surprise attached to it. Honestly after Cerny's interview, I think that Sony will have the upper hand on the speed of the storage solution.
-14 days to go
im preparing bbq of crows!.:D:D

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Oct 27, 2017
All these pastebin leaks, they are anonymous and anyone can post anything so I wouldn't take anything from there very seriously. This is the best one I've seen from pastebin and even this one has some weird stuff in it, so I wouldn't take anything seriously:
I know exactly what you mean... but I hadn't seen anyone post anything and it seemed to have more to it than the comedy ones people were posting so I thought it might be worth bringing up. as for your one they seem interesting. a bit too detailed... but interesting. I did think MS will go with the SSD cache + HDD split and then use the tech they talked about for download prioritisation as the basis for managing what gets moved from HDD to SSD for play.

Also Xbox Infinite & Infinite Value do seem like the kind of zany PR names MS would come up with...

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017

Hmm. Was gonna call fake because of the storage setups but then the details does seems like something MS would do 🤔. Would be very smart if it works as intended.

Oct 25, 2017
cmon guys ... for decades we have (albeit i admit superficially) based on teraflops to quantify the power of a console ... the next generation will be the same.
I am still convinced that microsoft will release a console with the highest BOM of the 2 ... and that therefore Sony has a 399 console with some surprise attached to it. Honestly after Cerny's interview, I think that Sony will have the upper hand on the speed of the storage solution.
-14 days to go
im preparing bbq of crows!.:D:D
We were talking about what MS/Sony use. They have never really been specific though. They only just say "strongest".

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
Personally, I think Xbox will have a Sku with a power advantage over PS5, but I wouldn't read too much into any statement they make about power at E3.

Sony was still selling the Pro recently as
"the world's most powerful console*"
"*as of 2016"
There doesn't seem to be much of a downside in claiming you have the most powerful hardware, regardless whether that's sure to be the case.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
That set of specs is completely reasonable. If it's fake, it's probably someone who reads threads like these for realistic expectations.

Anyone reading this thread or with a passing knowledge of computer architecture and the upcoming and roadmap, could post plausible pastebins.

Which means for the moment I'm not really believing any of them, there would have to be some additional thing (like the Sony event pictures of the reddit leak for example) to corroborate them to give me reason to.

Status
Not open for further replies.