• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 36493

User requested account closure
Dec 19, 2017
I finally stumbled upon the interview with the Dark Souls 2 director about physics enhancements for next-gen consoles that I had been searching for. Even though he was originally speaking about this generation of consoles, its clear that the CPUs didn't see a large enough upgrade for this to happen.

Dark Souls 2 director Yui Tanimura would look to focus on physics rather than graphics for a next-gen Souls game, should that ever happen. Speaking to Joystiq at publisher Namco Bandai's Tokyo headquarters, Tanimura talked about potentially implementing a next-gen physics engine for a purely hypothetical Dark Souls game on Xbox One or PlayStation 4.

"In terms of graphics, all the consoles have already reached the maximum level. From [my] point of view, there's not that [much] difference among the consoles when it comes to graphics," Tanimura told us, when asked about what he'd want to do with a next-gen Dark Souls that wasn't Dark Souls 2 (the available translator referred to Tanimura in the third-person during our interview).

Tanimura would want to pay more attention to the physics engine: "In order to implement a physics engine, we'd need more machine power and more CPU power. That can only become possible if we were to create a game for the, for example, PlayStation 4 or Xbox One. So that's something [I'd] personally be paying attention to if [I was] to create another [Dark Souls] title for the PS4 or Xbox One."

Source: https://www.engadget.com/2013/09/18/dark-souls-2-director-tanimura-on-next-gen-physics-covenants-f/

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone reading this thread or with a passing knowledge of computer architecture and the upcoming and roadmap, could post plausible pastebins.

Which means for the moment I'm not really believing any of them, there would have to be some additional thing (like the Sony event pictures of the reddit leak for example) to corroborate them to give me reason to.

Yeah, im pretty certain that when the correct leak lands it will be corroborated by Jason, Dark or one of our other legit posters.

It'll be funny to look back if any of the ones we dismissed out of hand were the real thing.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
It'll be funny to look back if any of the ones we dismissed out of hand were the real thing.

It's fairly likely that some of the stuff is entirely correct that has been posted and "leaked". The issue is that there is no real way to corroborate them and distinguish between them and complete nonsense posted by some random dude. Nature of the speculation beast I suppose.

It is one of the reasons I thought the PS5 reddit leak was interesting though, because it had more proof than simply someone's word in those Sony event photos, with appropriate date meta-data.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All these pastebin leaks, they are anonymous and anyone can post anything so I wouldn't take anything from there very seriously. This is the best one I've seen from pastebin and even this one has some weird stuff in it, so I wouldn't take anything seriously:
That somehow sounds like it could be true. I'm not that interested in the numbers but this could work and I think if you consider all the talk how resolution is something people barely notice anyway nowadays, especially with all the new reconstruction methods which will only improve such a split console can work. I only wonder what will happen to the X, to be honest.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
That somehow sounds like it could be true. I'm not that interested in the numbers but this could work and I think if you consider all the talk how resolution is something people barely notice anyway nowadays, especially with all the new reconstruction methods which will only improve such a split console can work. I only wonder what will happen to the X, to be honest.
I think the X will die pretty fast. The X is meant for power users and people with too much money to waste. With BC and the power of Anaconda, probably no one will buy an X anymore. My guess is that the only options for customers in 2021 will be Xbox One S, Lockheart and Anaconda.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
GN saying to temper expectations regarding the kind of info we're getting tonight. Full blowout, including clocks, cache, etc. is coming at E3. Just popped up on my phone, so I'm just relaying what I've seen of the first couple minutes.

On god if they delay spec blowout until E3 imma be mad as hell. Why tf would you save that for E3, your at fucking COMPUTEX bruh.

E3 is where you show gaming benchmarks and shit like that.

Oct 25, 2017
On god if they delay spec blowout until E3 imma be mad as hell. Why tf would you save that for E3, your at fucking COMPUTEX bruh.

E3 is where you show gaming benchmarks and shit like that.

E3 offers way more exposure, I would assume. If they're happy with the specs, I say it's best to gloat about them in front of the biggest audience possible.
It's not like E3 is far off anyway.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
E3 offers way more exposure, I would assume. If they're happy with the specs, I say it's best to gloat about them in front of the biggest audience possible.
The same people going to be watching E3 is the same people watching this stream. It would make more sense to me if they were annoucing this at like the PC Gaming Show or something but they have their own independent conference. Exposure thing doesn't make sense to me.

I'm being salty though because I just want the fucking specs already, tired of the cock teases.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
cmon guys ... for decades we have (albeit i admit superficially) based on teraflops to quantify the power of a console ... the next generation will be the same.
I am still convinced that microsoft will release a console with the highest BOM of the 2 ... and that therefore Sony has a 399 console with some surprise attached to it. Honestly after Cerny's interview, I think that Sony will have the upper hand on the speed of the storage solution.
-14 days to go
im preparing bbq of crows!.:D:D

Well yeah, many fans use teraflops as the gold standard number to go by in measuring power, but until the specs for both consoles are released we have no way to know if that's what Microsoft is referring to or if they could be discussing other aspects of the console if they were to use the phrase "most powerful". All I'm suggesting is that even if Microsoft does use that phrasing or a variant of it, we should still wait for full spec reveals from both companies before having a serious discussion about which is the "most powerful"

Oct 25, 2017
The same people going to be watching E3 is the same people watching this stream. It would make more sense to me if they were annoucing this at like the PC Gaming Show or something but they have their own independent conference. Exposure thing doesn't make sense to me.

I'm being salty though because I just want the fucking specs already, tired of the cock teases.

I don't believe Computex delivers nearly the same exposure as E3. If AMD waits for the latter, there's a good reason for it.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
Xbox digital was probably a dry run then (as an easy production change) to see how it sticks. I'd definitely go discless next gen, I'm pretty much there now
Yeah I can see a lot of people already having completely digital libraries nowadays. PC gaming is completely digital now (GTA 5 is the only game I can remember which had disks on PC but it was something like 7 disks).

It'll be sad to see collectors editions, steel books and all that going in the future though because there would be no need for them once everything goes digital.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe Computex delivers nearly the same exposure as E3. If AMD waits for the latter, there's a good reason for it.
Computex is literally majority if not all the enthusiast PC crowd.

E3 may offer more casual gamers but most of those people are either strictly console gamers or the people to buy OEM's and shit like that. I just don't see the overlap but maybe I'm not seeing what AMD is seeing idk. Like I said before I'm just being kinda salty.

Oct 25, 2017
Computex is literally majority if not all the enthusiast PC crowd.

E3 may offer more casual gamers but most of those people are either strictly console gamers or the people to buy OEM's and shit like that. I just don't see the overlap but maybe I'm not seeing what AMD is seeing idk. Like I said before I'm just being kinda salty.

The point is that you can expose yourself to an audience that won't even know what Computex is and get more coverage, especially if MS spends any amount of time talking about AMD.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've no idea where you're seeing hostility, is it not okay to question these statements?
Multiple speculation threads back a poster effectively said we need to go after these so called "insiders" with pitchforks and torches springs to mind, and the general sentiment of "you're a liar and a fake" that pops up more often than not with certain posters does feel a bit hostile.

It's totally fine to question a rumor or an insider, even strongly disagree, but we could build a post that actually logically explores that rather than a one-off sentence that basically equates to "You don't know what you're talking about" to people we half the time beg to give us information.

Oct 25, 2017
I just want something discussion worthy to come from tonight. That is it. They can show the rest at E3 if they can do at least that much.

Oct 25, 2017
I was an avid physical only type person at the beginning of the gen, but I am now going full digital. The shift started last year and now I am all the way digital. It is mostly because Amazon gave up on the price reductions through Prime and the convenience of digital is rather nice.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I can see a lot of people already having completely digital libraries nowadays. PC gaming is completely digital now (GTA 5 is the only game I can remember which had disks on PC but it was something like 7 disks).

It'll be sad to see collectors editions, steel books and all that going in the future though because there would be no need for them once everything goes digital.
I don't think they'll go, or anytime soon.

IIRC, A God of War digital version came with a statue and some other stuff.

OP
OP
Phoenix Splash
Mar 23, 2018

I was hoping for rough info on Zen 2 and perhaps a bit on Navi at Computex with a more in detail presentation at E3, because it'd be divided over two presentations. Now, it feels like even at E3 we won't really be getting all nor even most of that information and that we'll have to wait until the review embargo is over by July 7th.

Also, the talk about the R5 models still being 6C CPUs doesn't really give me amazing vibes. Hopefully, the improvements are noticeable and pretty much on par with intel CPUs without the extra cost of an Intel CPU.

RE: next-gen, at this point, I don't think Microsoft will be stating something like the TFlops like they actually did with Scorpio, when they even revealed the bandwidth, etc

Feels like I typed down a biiiiit too much of a pessimistic post right? hahaha

Cthulhu_Steev

Oct 27, 2017
Multiple speculation threads back a poster effectively said we need to go after these so called "insiders" with pitchforks and torches springs to mind, and the general sentiment of "you're a liar and a fake" that pops up more often than not with certain posters does feel a bit hostile.

It's totally fine to question a rumor or an insider, even strongly disagree, but we could build a post that actually logically explores that rather than a one-off sentence that basically equates to "You don't know what you're talking about" to people we half the time beg to give us information.

I thought you meant inside this thread!

For the record, I like Benji i bear no Ill will- I empathise with him, he wears his heart on his sleeve even if it causes him pain. I can relate with the struggle.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't bought a physical game in about 5 years now but I still don't really like the idea of a console without a disc drive. I suppose I just still appreciate having the option.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I only buy physical simply for the fact that it is MUCH CHEAPER (for me) and I have more control over what happens with those discs.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't bought a physical game in about 5 years now but I still don't really like the idea of a console without a disc drive. I suppose I just still appreciate having the option.
I just want it there for the backwards compatibility, new games are all bought digitally but the 360/PS3 and older games are all physical.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I only buy physical simply for the fact that it is MUCH CHEAPER (for me) and I have more control over what happens with those discs.
You have control now but what will happen if the PS6 launches without a disk drive? All your games will be lost while digital games will transfer to the next platform seamlessly.

Oct 27, 2017
its discounted popup cards + digital purchases for me.

I was done with trying to find places to store all my dvds & games from the last few gens. The option should still be there for those who want it though. (I know I've definitely benefited from a few games that bomba'd and had their prices cut much more quickly than expected).

I can't believe they wouldn't at least offer a external disc drive.
It could be part of how they get the price down to 299 — they know they don't have to pay a retailer fee for their own games in stores, and they can encourage more people to get on to game pass + xbl subs — which suits their plans long term.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Doesn't make sense to me to be honest. Computex is for PC hardware. And at the end of the day, the people looking at Computex are the people that will be buying that PC hardware.
I haven't bought a physical since 2012. I would take a console without a dis drive in a heartbeat. I would even pay more for it if it meant I got more storage.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
They double as DVD, Blu Ray players for me. Less clutter in rooms.

Don't care about UHD too much, but at least give me Blu Ray.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
You have control now but what will happen if the PS6 launches without a disk drive? All your games will be lost while digital games will transfer to the next platform seamlessly.
Sony would absolutely never do that. As long as playstation consoles keep on coming out, physical media would still exist, because you dont realize physical market is still huge and much larger than digital in many places in the world.

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't make sense to me to be honest. Computex is for PC hardware. And at the end of the day, the people looking at Computex are the people that will be buying that PC hardware.

If true, it's definitely disappointing, but there has to be a reason for it and the quoted is what I came up with. Right or not, it's not that much more of a wait anyway. Can't say I'm terribly bothered.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I can't believe they wouldn't at least offer a external disc drive.

At some point optical disc drives will cease to be offered, even as an option, and I'd wager that we're not very far from that moment. It might even happen with the next (next) generation. And even if physical media continues to have a future for games, future formats might not be compatible with today's discs.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Sony would absolutely never do that. As long as playstation consoles keep on coming out, physical media would still exist, because you dont realize physical market is still huge and much larger than digital in many places in the world.
At some point the disk drive will go away. It's the biggest component in a console, it costs around 35$ and it makes it heavier, larger and harder to cool. Your laptop doesn't have a disk drive, your phone doesn't have a disk drive and in few years you console won't have one too.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017

Same. I rarely buy games on release day and those that I do I'm usually hyped about and want them ASAP. That's what digital is for. Games I'm just looking forward to or have interest in, I can snag physical copies on ebay day 1 for ~$45 or on newegg a month later for <$40.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
At some point the disk drive will go away. It's the biggest component in the console, it costs around 35$ and it makes it heavier, larger and harder to cool. Your laptop doesn't have a disk drive, your phone doesn't have a disk drive and in few years you console won't have one too.

The biggest question becomes preservation of games when they are taken offline by the service provider due to licensing and/or legal issues.

One could hypothetically use external storage to archive but should those games require licensing check via online connection and are no longer valid then SOL. Of course, the same is true for physical media now.

We pay for the license to use not to own. Unlike the days of PS2 or Xbox (even 3 and 360, respectively), the manufacturers/storefront operators can, given the proliferation of online requirements, enact the purpose of said license.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I hope the PS5 offers a disk-less option that's smaller and runs cooler. Started the PS4 gen as digital only and plan to keep it that way on PS5.

Pre-load and auto updates have been a nice feature this gen- especially when bigger games unlock at 9pm pst when est hits 12am. Nice added benefit of feeling like I'm getting a game a little earlier.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
At some point the disk drive will go away. It's the biggest component in a console, it costs around 35$ and it makes it heavier, larger and harder to cool. Your laptop doesn't have a disk drive, your phone doesn't have a disk drive and in few years you console won't have one too.
If i were them, I would make two skus of the console. On without a disc drive for $399 and the other with a disc drive and double the storage for $499 and also have a disc drive + 1 TB SSD expansion unit (basically the two things in one box) as an add on that connects via USB C for $100. Let those people that want a disc drive buy one.

My money will be on the cheaper disc driveless SKU selling better

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
The biggest question becomes preservation of games when they are taken offline by the service provider due to licensing and/or legal issues.

One could hypothetically use external storage to archive but should those games require licensing check via online connection and are no longer valid then SOL. Of course, the same is true for physical media now.

We pay for the license to use not to own. Unlike the days of PS2 or Xbox (even 3 and 360, respectively), the manufacturers/storefront operators can, given the proliferation of online requirements, enact the purpose of said license.
You are right but physical media won't remedy the problem :/

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Perhaps when 5G is readily and easily available, the disk drive will not be needed? since high speed internet would be available for instant streaming playing at high quality.

i think the next-next gen console release will revolve around 5G. it's already been mentioned by MS, so it's definitely in their plans for the long term.

Feb 10, 2018
So Benji, north America sales insider, now has xbox insider information? Or do you actually think he's only hyping since we know the length of the show? (Which is what I think)

I don't like that many of these insiders, once they have an audience, start doing this and everybody thinks everything from them is inside news. It gets ridiculous

I agree, I see no reason to think what Benji says about anything other then sales is just his speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.