• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
I check this thread so many times a day, always hoping for some new leak or rumour. It's been a wild 400 pages of (mostly) baseless speculation and it's been fun to sit back and enjoy the ride. But I'm ready for some concrete facts now, please. :)

Oct 26, 2017
I check this thread so many times a day, always hoping for some new leak or rumour. It's been a wild 400 pages of (mostly) baseless speculation and it's been fun to sit back and enjoy the ride. But I'm ready for some concrete facts now, please. :)

The newest concrete facts I can give are that the new Xbox
is coming at some date after today.

And that the new PlayStation
is made by Sony.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Take Metro Exodus on PC for example.

Metro Exodus PC specs
OS: Windows 7 (SP1 or newer) | 8 (9200 or newer) | 8.1 (9600 or newer) | 10.
CPU: Intel Core I5-4440 or equivalent.
RAM: 8GB.
GPU: GeForce GTX 670 | GeForce GTX 1050 | AMD Radeon HD 7870.
VRAM: 2 GB.

Yet those base specs didn't stop them from creating a game that punishes even a 2080ti at max settings with RT on. The lower spec machines will just have scaled back visuals. Won't hurt the high end machines.
Except that the ostensible range for Microsoft would be much bigger from minimum to maximum specs. From GTX 670 to GTX 2080Ti is about 5x the TF, plus architectural advantages. If Xbox Two is ~11 TF then from Xbox One S to that is about 8x the TF, plus architectural advantages.

And that's also ignoring just how big the performance gap is for Metro Exodus, even across that smaller range. I couldn't find any benchmarks for the minimum setup, but using a more powerful 1050 Ti results in 720p with locked 30fps. Any higher res introduces unstable fps, and the game can't reach 1080p while maintaining 30fps, even with all settings as low as they can go. And this is a card slightly better than those "minimum requirements".

This all indicates that if Anaconda hosts games that max out its GPU, then Xbox One S would be closer to SD resolution than HD, and possibly with ragged framerate as well. Conversely, if games were actually fit for purpose on One S, then Anaconda's GPU power would be heavily constrained.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Vr was and still his in it's very early infancy ...I think he did the right choice .

I think it was the right choice for the Xbox One seeing how underpowered that system is but I'll be disappointed if VR doesn't become a part of Microsoft's next gen plans. Have you seen the Sony patents for PSVR 2? They are really insane and awesome if they actually happen of course. I think VR will be a big deal eventually and I think Microsoft will need to jump in eventually before they fall way behind and can never catch up. Even Nintendo is doing VR these days (cardboard).

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it was the right choice for the Xbox One seeing how underpowered that system is but I'll be disappointed if VR doesn't become a part of Microsoft's next gen plans. Have you seen the Sony patents for PSVR 2? They are really insane and awesome if they actually happen of course. I think VR will be a big deal eventually and I think Microsoft will need to jump in eventually before they fall way behind and can never catch up. Even Nintendo is doing VR these days (cardboard).
Think it was the right thing to do, they need to get their enthusiast fans excited about the Xbox brand again.

Sony could focus on VR because they already have plenty of established first party studios making AAA non-VR games. Microsoft needed a rebuild.

Feb 10, 2018
Microsoft won't "fall way behind" with VR because they are already doing VR work with WMR.
From a business perspective its a better idea to wait until 3rd parties are fully on board with VR, when at least 1/2 of the major publishers release at least 1 AAA game per year on VR.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
So if Navi is a 7tf GPU and has been confirmed built with PS5 in mind then why do so many of you think the PS5 will be higher then 7tf? I imagine I am missing a crucial detail so that is why I am asking.

We're down to 7TF now?

I wonder if we can get get to 6 or below in this thread so the PS5 has a less powerful GPU than the Xbox One X. We can do it. We have the lack of technology!

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm hoping they allow you to install to HDD from disc, I like having physical but the convenience of digital is so much better.
It's already like that today, disc install stuff then is only used as a dongle at launch. You meant to not have to put it in the console each time ? Sony has a patent for digital license exchange, but I will believe when I could use it.

Last edited:

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft won't "fall way behind" with VR because they are already doing VR work with WMR.
From a business perspective its a better idea to wait until 3rd parties are fully on board with VR, when at least 1/2 of the major publishers release at least 1 AAA game per year on VR.

That doesn't really make sense. If others companies didn't embrace VR, then a business case would never develop. MS just hasn't pursued that direction yet. I am not sure how you can really read that as a good or bad strategy. It is just the way they have done it.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Engine displacement might be a better analogy. Just a simple calculation for the volume of the cylinders. Likewise, TFs are a simple calculation for the "capacity" of the GPU to do compute tasks. But how much power you get out of those cylinders and the GPU is going to depend on other factors like how much air you can squeeze into the cylinder (turbo/supercharged), and how well you can feed those stream processors data.

Perfect analogy.

As a poker player and car enthusiast, these past few pages have been pretty solid, lol.

Feb 10, 2018
That doesn't really make sense. If others companies didn't embrace VR, then a business case would never develop. MS just hasn't pursued that direction yet. I am not sure how you can really read that as a good or bad strategy. It is just the way they have done it.

It makes perfect sense.
Starting an unproven platform is risky.
It remains to be seen if the extra experience psvr devs will get is worth the risk.

Oct 27, 2017
This thread has been I ride, I'll say that.

Some good some bad, but I'm glad I was in it from (almost) the beginning. Hope the next thread starts off on a good foot and we get some concrete details sooner rather than later.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
What is the poin of the Lockhart if you are going to continuing release the titles on current generation? Makes zero sense.

Because they can just drop the resolution to 1080p and everything will be alright... /s

(Am I doing it right?)

I've been driving an electric vehicle for more than six years, and that's all we own now. If you're paying attention you can learn a whole lot more about the physics of driving when your car captures extensive efficiency statistics! It's also why I'm thoroughly amused when there are statements here like "give two engineers the same challenge and they'll come up with roughly equivalent designs." Tell that to the folks I worked with who bought a Fisker when I bought a Tesla. Good engineering is often obvious in hindsight, but opinions can vary wildly during design and even in the early stages of consumer adoption.

Can you believe we'll have some actual news to discuss in about a week and a half? Whether Microsoft goes all out and gives us details or just drops a few hints, it's going to be an eventful E3.

Pretty cool. I kinda really want an electric car now.

I agree on the engineering design point too.

Dec 31, 2017
It's already like that today, disc install stuff then is only used as a dongle at launch. You meant to not have to put it in the console each time ? Sony has a patent for digital license exchange, but I will believe when I could use it.

I want to put the disc in once and install then not have to worry about the disc again, I have two PS4s so it's annoying.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
i am sure this was posted already but whatever
255mm^2, RTX 2070 performance (RTX 2070 die size is 445mm^2)
also its 23mm^2 larger than a RX 480/580 which is the equvialent to the GPU in the X1X, so i guess its possible to fit that in a console?

It's highly possible indeed. What I wonder about is the clockspeed. I'm not sure they'll be able to reach full clocks in a console form factor.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
They are already way behind. If they only want to provide a headset for third parties, they'll still need easy to use tools and APIs. But If they want to create compelling content for VR, they'll need games and gaming tools they don't have.

Since he is boss at Xbox (5 years ago), Spencer is trying to build first party studios at the level of Sony First party studios. That's great and I can't wait to see the next Halo. But has he succeeded yet ? It will take more years for that. It's not only about money and will. You need years to build coherent teams, trust, ideas and hardware. You need experience.

And VR gaming is much harder than traditionnal AAA gaming. Sony has being doing AR and VR games respectively since 15 and 8 years ago. For instance some from the Astro bot team have being doing AR gaming since Eye pet, in 2004. Astro bot concept has being created in Playroom, which development started in 2011. And the hardware has being designed also because of the games they were developing. The idea of the social screen came from the development team while they were making Playroom.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It's highly possible indeed. What I wonder about is the clockspeed. I'm not sure they'll be able to reach full clocks in a console form factor.
with the x1x they had more CUs but a lower clocks and ended up very close performance wise to the consumer card boost performance, so i think its possible we will get that performance level.
all in all RTX 2070 performance level in a console is pretty good IMO, couple that with 5x the CPU and the really fast SSD and i am excited.
also remember that the ps4, which was the more powerful of the 2 had a GTX 660 equvialent GPU basically, so the next gen consoles will be comparable to one rank above at the current NVidia cards.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
If the rumour of them mandating cross-gen titles for the coming 2 years is true, then it makes the two console launch strategy seem even more nonsensical.

You'd be able to play 'next-gen' for a ~150 dollar Xbox One S or a cheap One X without having to buy any of the nextgen hardware. Defeats the purpose of the lockhart unit for sure.

It'll remain my opinion that they will not go for a two console launch after all. Maybe they'll position the One X as the 'lockhart' unit.

Turkey

Oct 27, 2017
If Anaconda is targeting a $500 price point and PS5 is also targeting $500 in what way does having a lower end SKU ensure Anaconda is more powerful?
Nothing and you can look at it in many ways, one would be a low volume console could be sold on lower margins or greater loss if they have a high volume no loss or small profit SKU out. I.e subsidise Anaconda with Lockhart

The interesting question is how do you make the most powerful console if you have placed a lower specced baseline marker in the sand.
If they manage better paper specs will they result in the best version of the game.
What 's the chance of the Xbox 2 getting released in 2019 with Vega "Custom AMD GPU" inside? Is there any hard evidence that rules out 2019 launch of the new Xbox? It will be the most powerful game console, at least in 2019, so there's no contradiction.
Sorry missed this, no hard evidence on a release date.
The X had a year build up but the original One did not, it's hard to say but I am not sure Microsoft wants to race to next gen. They have the X and they have just released the value digital One S so I would assume that 2019 is unlikely.

The initial console launches were tied to AMD roadmap to make them really viable power consumption wise, now that is not the case.

We don't know at this time what IP AMD has for Navi and beyond ready and what Microsoft would select. The PS4 Pro had a real mix of GPU features that spanned 3 AMD gpu all they way to Vega so any possible mix of technology is possible.

What old IP will be required to make BC possible / easier?

If they release close I doubt much will be different from an AMD IP standpoint. The RT differences will be interesting given the revealed Navi GPUs do not have specific RT acceleration and we assume both will have it

Feb 10, 2018
They are already way behind. If they only want to provide a headset for third parties, they'll still need easy to use tools and APIs. But If they want to create compelling content for VR, they'll need games and gaming tools they don't have.

Since he is boss at Xbox (5 years ago), Spencer is trying to build first party studios at the level of Sony First party studios. That's great and I can't wait to see the next Halo. But has he succeeded yet ? It will take more years for that. It's not only about money and will. You need years to build coherent teams, trust, ideas and hardware. You need experience.

And VR gaming is much harder than traditionnal AAA gaming. Sony has being doing AR and VR games respectively since 15 and 8 years ago. For instance some from the Astro bot team have being doing AR gaming since Eye pet, in 2004. Astro bot concept has being created in Playroom, which development started in 2011. And the hardware has being designed also because of the games they were developing. The idea of the social screen came from the development team while they were making Playroom.

Ok
1. They have WMR, with tools and some of the best headsets on th market.
2. Ninja Theory have experience making a VR game, rare have expirenced with kinect, so they have some good and relevant experience.
3. Will sony's devs have more experience? Yes they will, but this does not necessarily mean xbox devs won't be able to make VR games as good as.
4. Sony have likely lost money on PSVR overall. Sothere devs will gain expirence, but while losing money.
Like I've already said we don't know if Sony launching VR first will be worth it.
Both approaches have there pros and cons.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018

VR is such a niche product......I honestly struggle to see why anyone would put so much emphasis on it at current moment in time.

Oct 27, 2017
Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread | Vega(ly) Navi(gating) Next-gen's Hori(Zen), it's in RDNA

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.