• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Many people in here hoping for a 14TF Playstation 5 and I am hoping for a 500$ discrete AMD GPU that comes close to 14TF and doesn't consume 300W on Navi lol

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
It's kind of funny how it's always just this small part of the "Epsilon" document that's being posted. Probably because the full document doesn't look so good:

project_epsilon_premi5ok4j.jpg

project_epsilon_premi8zjbg.jpg

project_epsilon_premis8jk8.jpg

project_epsilon_premi1bjfw.jpg

project_epsilon_premi18jg1.jpg

project_epsilon_premi7skkb.jpg

"gaming plataform"

"High Dinamic Range"

"Stably rotating games at 60 frames per second"

Idk, looks a bit fishy.

You don't say...LOL

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
If we discount whatever cost sony may eat releasing a machine with those specs, how much would it cost the consumer?

Because those specs wont come cheap. If those are right, and lets pretend they are.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of funny how it's always just this small part of the "Epsilon" document that's being posted. Probably because the full document doesn't look so good:

"gaming plataform"

"High Dinamic Range"

Idk, looks a bit fishy.
If these are the actual PS5 specs I'll eat my hat.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny thing about the 8TF rumor, the exact thing that created the rumor was then conveniently ignored when it changed to suggest a different power margin.

Anyways I still think its no going to be 14TF. As there is only one GPU from the GPU leak so far that will allow that and there is too much about it that means it can't go into a console. I think it could be 12TF though. If they use a Navi 10 CE clocked at around 1680Mhz,which by all indications will be them downclocking it. I can even see MS going with a 60CU variant of the card, basically the 64CU variant and disabling 4CU and landing at around 13TF.
60CU @ 1.85Ghz gives you 14.2 Tflops. ;p
So the PS5 is going to have the full Navi 20 GPU? This console is going to cost an arm and a leg if that's the case. Maybe that's why Microsoft are so dedicated to releasing a second cheaper console.
Even if its cut down from the full Navi 20 GPU slightly, just going off that AdortedTV source still shows it's going to be really expensive, for Sony anyway.

Nope, not the full Navi 20 one. An RX 3080 is 15% faster that a Vega 64 which is a 12.6tflops GPU. That gives us a 14 tflops GPU.

If you dont want to treat the 15% extra performance as an increase to tflops, you can go to the next GPU on the list; The Navi 10 SE. With 8 additional CUs, you should get the 14+ tflops figure at 180W. The 6 Tflops RX 580 was also 180W and yet MS managed to put a 6 tflops APU in the X1X anyway.

The GPUs listed below are not APUs but Desktop GPUs. Their TDPs tend to be much higher than the APUs in console since they include the power usage by VRAM (for all we know these GPUs can have 12GB of GDDR6) and other parts on the card.
LhqKmZ6.jpg

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
This is how companies figure out who is the leaker. They don't use identifiers because anyone could shop them out. No one is going to shop out common spelling errors. With spelling errors you can have essentially unlimited number of unique identifiers in your information without doing much work.

That's actually not a bad theory. Seems weird how some parts are perfectly fine, and then someone made these mistakes which could have been prevented by running spell check once.

And companies are really doing stuff like this:

This here also seems interesting. The guy who took this picture put a piece of paper on the QR (?) code. But... what if those lines on the left side are not random?

xdkd5j2e.jpg

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
the only rumor that pointed to 8tflops was the first Gonzolo benchmark which was running at 1Ghz. It has since seen an upgrade to 1.8Ghz which could point to 14 tflops if they kept the CUs the same.

There is nothing else that points to 8 tflops. Even Jason Schrier said both consoles are aiming to be more powerful than 10.7 Tflops Google Stadia.

oh and Albert Panello thinks the PS5 might be 8 tflops, but he seems to be the only insider who believes this.

Interesting.

Maybe it was originally 8TF but Sony changed it to 14TF because of the controversy that 8TF had circling it, I mean let's be real, ever since the original Gonzalo leak revealing the 8TF most fellow speculators all over the internet hated the idea of the next generation PlayStation console only having just double the TF of the Pro, hell even users on ERA have expressed their distaste of 8TF (like you and me) and with even google themselves boasting how their 10.7TF horsepower dwarfs the current gen consoles and even taunts the 8TF rumour, it's a marketing embarrassment, in fact when the PS5's TF are eventually revealed people will judge it harshly if it's 8TF after all.

Maybe Sony asked AMD to beaf up the Gonzalo's clock speeds to achieve a more desirable number that fans will be happy for, to prevent that marketing nightmare that could potentially ensue.

NotUS

Oct 27, 2017
Hi all,
Something that has been playing in my mind regarding the various power targets, and thought I would get your perspective, as I am not as tech savvy as many here.

I understand the benefits the stronger CPU will bring, however from a developers point of you, what would be the better outcome, more Tflops, or more RAM?

E.g
10Tf console, with 32GB RAM with SSD
or
14Tf console with 16GB RAM with SSD

If I were to look at a city in an open world game, would it be better to have 32gb, have much higher res textures loaded and much more of the city and map loaded to eliminate LOD and streaming of assets, and the fake fog in the distance hiding low res textures.

With SSD's being as fast as Cerny claims in the next console, loading the highly detailed area could be quite fast to get the game started, and then in the background the rest of the game map, or as much as needs to be is loaded over the next 20-30 secs, or whatever that takes. Would this would get rid of load times entering/exiting buildings and many other streaming and pop-in issues we currently see?

This is probably not how game development works, but what would be the benefit for the extra teraflops versus the extra ram, outside of ray tracing and post processing?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting.

Maybe it was originally 8TF but Sony changed it to 14TF because of the controversy that 8TF had circling it, I mean let's be real, ever since the original Gonzalo leak revealing the 8TF most fellow speculators all over the internet hated the idea of the next generation PlayStation console only having just double the TF of the Pro, hell even users on ERA have expressed their distaste of 8TF (like you and me) and with even google themselves boasting how their 10.7TF horsepower dwarfs the current gen consoles and even taunts the 8TF rumour, it's a marketing embarrassment, in fact when the PS5's TF are eventually revealed people will judge it harshly if it's 8TF after all.

Maybe Sony asked AMD to beaf up the Gonzalo's clock speeds to achieve a more desirable number that fans will be happy for, to prevent that marketing nightmare that could potentially ensue.
You're right, Sony begged AMD for a clock speed increase after reading some video game forums. It couldn't possibly be because Gonzalo was still in heavy development and prototyping stage.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting.

Or the first Gonzolo benchmark was for the 8 tflops Lockheart and not the PS5 like we all originally thought.

Hi all,
Something that has been playing in my mind regarding the various power targets, and thought I would get your perspective, as I am not as tech savvy as many here.

I understand the benefits the stronger CPU will bring, however from a developers point of you, what would be the better outcome, more Tflops, or more RAM?

E.g
10Tf console, with 32GB RAM with SSD
or
14Tf console with 16GB RAM with SSD

If I were to look at a city in an open world game, would it be better to have 32gb, have much higher res textures loaded and much more of the city and map loaded to eliminate LOD and streaming of assets, and the fake fog in the distance hiding low res textures.

With SSD's being as fast as Cerny claims in the next console, loading the highly detailed area could be quite fast to get the game started, and then in the background the rest of the game map, or as much as needs to be is loaded over the next 20-30 secs, or whatever that takes. Would this would get rid of load times entering/exiting buildings and many other streaming and pop-in issues we currently see?

This is probably not how game development works, but what would be the benefit for the extra teraflops versus the extra ram, outside of ray tracing and post processing?

14 tflops with 16GB and SSD should be fine.

If the SSD speed rumors are true, they will have speeds of 8 GB/s. You can fill up 16GB of RAM in 2 seconds. thats more than enough even for an open world next gen game.

Also means they are using a 64CU GPU which probably isn't much bigger in size than the 56CU GPU which will no doubt be a 60CU GPU with 4 CUs disabled. The issue with that though is the power draw, only way I see them getting it down to any acceptable levels by downclocking it from 1.8Ghz to around 1680Mhz. Which brings it down to around 13TF. The all round cheaper option will be going with the 56CU GPU and downclocking that to 1680Mhz and ending with 12TF.

I am fine 12 tflops if they use the extra space on the die to add RTX cores.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

"gaming plataform"

"High Dinamic Range"

Idk, looks a bit fishy.

Bad spelling aside, a lot of it is actually accurate lol, but most of that could be guessed by anyone here.

But still, a lot of it is accurate. lol

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
60CU @ 1.85Ghz gives you 14.2 Tflops. ;p

Nope, not the full Navi 20 one. An RX 3080 is 15% faster that a Vega 64 which is a 12.6tflops GPU. That gives us a 14 tflops GPU.

If you dont want to treat the 15% extra performance as an increase to tflops, you can go to the next GPU on the list; The Navi 10 SE. With 8 additional CUs, you should get the 14+ tflops figure at 180W. The 6 Tflops RX 580 was also 180W and yet MS managed to put a 6 tflops APU in the X1X anyway.

The GPUs listed below are not APUs but Desktop GPUs. Their TDPs tend to be much higher than the APUs in console since they include the power usage by VRAM (for all we know these GPUs can have 12GB of GDDR6) and other parts on the card.
LhqKmZ6.jpg
Also means they are using a 64CU GPU which probably isn't much bigger in size than the 56CU GPU which will no doubt be a 60CU GPU with 4 CUs disabled. The issue with that though is the power draw, only way I see them getting it down to any acceptable levels by downclocking it from 1.8Ghz to around 1680Mhz. Which brings it down to around 13TF. The all round cheaper option will be going with the 56CU GPU and downclocking that to 1680Mhz and ending with 12TF.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Welp, we've fully returned to the 14TF part of the circle of life.

I'll be over here in the 10TF camp.

10TF is such a boring prediction though. It's bang in the middle of the Flat Earth <-> Jesus Planet spectrum. :P

In fact 10TF is less than Stadia. Sorry my dude but I'm not joining your team! :p

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom

Xostas

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so let's take a look at this. On the PS2 Sony took a $188 loss. On the PS3 they took a $400 loss. On the PS4 they took a $60 loss. This tells us historically when Sony is doing very well that they're willing to take large losses on their consoles. Even when Sony wasn't doing well they were still willing to take a loss on the PS4. Considering how well they're doing now I think just based on historical precident, how much more important PlayStation is to them now than ever, and the amount of ways they have to make back money on losses I think it's more than reasonable to expect them to take a large loss on the PS5. I'm now guessing up to a $200 loss per console.

So if we wind up getting a $399 PS5 then it might actually be up to a $599 console. If it's a $499 PS5 then it might be a $699 console. Based on the wide array of leaks we've gotten so far and based on the fact that we know they're going with an ultra fast SSD option and the high probability of hardware raytracing I am feeling more confident than ever we're looking at a heavily subsidized, and very powerful PS5.

This is how I see it too. Subscription services are the real money maker now. XBOX Live/Gamepass and PS+/PSNow gives a large incentive to build and maintain their respective audiences. Then on top of that throw in the 30% cut off of Digital sales/DLC/Lootcrate/Battlepasses.

Fortnite revenue alone in 2018 was 2.4 billion. How much was generated on the PS4 or Xbox platforms? Lets make up some numbers and say 1/4 of the revenue was from the PS4. That's potentially $600 million and Sony took their 30%(maybe less if they have a deal with Epic) which would be potentially $180 million. (feel free to punch holes in my numbers). Maybe Sony takes only 15-20% or they are 1/3 of the revenue userbase. Either way it's another revenue stream to help offset the hardware loss. And sony doesn't even charge for online in this scenario.

Both Manufacturer have taken a large loss on hardware in the past and it's important for them from a console launch perspective to build a userbase quickly and more importantly momentum.

Also, Sony and to a lesser extent Microsoft, have not have the same price drops they have had in the past. Sony has maintained their PS4 pricing and has only offered the PS4 for $199 during the last 2 Black Fridays. For the next gen systems, It may take a while to get to hardware profitability but once they do, they won't be passing the saving to customers quickly.

Lastly, users subscribe to Sony or MS represent other potential avenues to generate revenue. Because they have a captive audience, they can continue to explore other services like Sony's PSVue or the Movie sales. This potential is why I believe Microsoft continues the Xbox brand. Apple, Spotify, Netflix, Hulu, Google, etc all have their own version of a walled garden and these companies are always looking to expand. Given the amount of Console warring/evangelizing gamers do, they know they have a captive audience that is willing to listen to when a new service is brought forth.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Wtf is Xbox SNEK from the OP? Is that like the SNES and SNK being combined for some reason?

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Honestly as long as it's more than Stadia then I'm more than satisfied and consider it a generational leap, anything more is icing to an already delicious cake.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
  • The AdoredTv leaked Navi GPU performance chart from last week also gives us 14 tflops for RX 3080 which is something we can expect in a console APU. Vega 64 is a 12.5 tflops console. An Additional 15% would give us 14 tflops. The Special Edition Navi 10 gives us 14 tflops too if you dont want to include the +15% performance improvements directly to the Tflops number.

LhqKmZ6.jpg
Let us pretend for a moment your interpretation of the performance column of the above table made by AdoredTV is right - just to make the case. You would need 2280 Mhz clock speed to reach those 14TF (or Vega 64 + 15%) with the 48CUs in the table. Is this really sounding realistic to you? I am talking just PC now not even console!

Some already tried to tell you that you misinterpreting that column completely. Those performance numbers don't reference the synthetic peak performance in TF. That column references to the expected performance in games compared to a current GPU's performance profile.

And if that crazy clock doesn't convince you then it should be the fact that they compare Navi 20, which is a 4096 stream processors GPU, to the RTX 2080, which is a 2944 stream processor GPU. The RTX 2080 runs at 1710 MHz that is 10TF of synthetic peak performance. Navi 20 would end up 20% higher which is 12TF. So you want to tell us the top of the line Navi card is 12TF but the 48CU part is 14TF ???? Does that makes sense? No, it doesn't.

Navi is made to perform better in games with the same or less synthetic peak performance and a lower power consumption than its current AMD counterparts. Expect a 6TF Navi would beat a 6TF Polaris by about 10% to 15% at the same peak performance (at the same teraflops).

In theory this means to reach the levels of performance in games of a Xbox One X you actually would need just over 5TF with a NAVI GPU in it. Or in the sense of my prediction, you will get >10TF todays performance by a Navi GPU with 9TF performance. It would also fit to what Jason Schreier expected if we change the subject away from the raw TF number to the actual game performance.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
10TF is such a boring prediction though. It's bang in the middle of the Flat Earth <-> Jesus Planet spectrum. :P

In fact 10TF is less than Stadia. Sorry my dude but I'm not joining your team! :p
A Navi GPU with 10TF will be better than a Vega GPU with 10.7TF in game performance judging from the AdoredTV table. So yes, 10TF could be exactly that what Jason Schreier was told to expect. The only thing you need to do to change subject from a synthetical peak performance number to the expected performance profile in games.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Why not leak everything if you're doing it? Only highlighting things that Sony talked about makes it fishy.

Status
Not open for further replies.