• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, this thread has really gone places with completely insane and impossible Tflops number.

Let's calm down and lower our expectations, shall we??

I expect no less than ONE BILLION TERAFLOPS

giphy.gif
Why have one billion when you can have...

ONE MILLION
giphy.gif

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You missed my point completely. Sorry.
Still talking strict PC here.
a) I was not talking about the TDP in my response at all as you can't derive any clock speed from it or the resulting peak performance.
b) I never mentioned 2000Mhz, I mentioned 2280MHz. You seem to ignore that fact completely and make up a completely new context.
c) To me the 2280MHz is a crazy clock speed looking at the Radeon 7 that already is on a 7nm process and running at 1750Mhz boost clock.
d) Following your suggested math just for the first line already contradicted your idea how the performance column is to read by putting the most expensive card behind the 48CU GPU in peak performance.
e) The Xbox One X example was a general assessment that we instead looking just at the peak performance we should also look into it from an efficiency standpoint. We all know that Nvidia produces a better in-game performance with the same peak performance. I would assume that AMD has worked on that issue to close that gap to Nvidia with Navi. So instead to have to increase clock speeds which reduces yields why not just build a more efficient GPU and have some headroom to finally compete again with Nvidia at in-game performance and power-efficiency. I agree based on the table they will achieve the better power-efficiency target if those numbers are accurate.

I repeat: My point is that the performance column in the table we talk about is not referencing increases in peak performance (TFs) by percentages, it compares to expected in-game performance benchmarked for those existing GPUs and the mentioned percentages is how much we should expect as an increase. The only way you could derive the peak performance from that table would be if the table would contain the actual clock speeds for the Navi GPUs.

Maybe it would help you if you remake the diagram and put the clock speeds and the resulting peak performances of the Navi GPUs and the GPUs compared to into the new diagram. And then have fun to explain all the inconsistencies.

Edit:
This is not about what you think the peak performance of the PS5 or Anaconda are.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019
Colbert, you're gonna be shocked when your low ball estimates are going to be exceeded.

Heck, we already have a proven insider claim that both Sony and MS will exceed Stadia's 10.7 TF

You have gone to great lengths over the months setting the bar low.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Alright, finally unbanned from thanos's snap, i missed A LOT of excitement here, haha.
I did see some confusion about gonzalo and ariel, from my understanding gonzalo is the codename of the APU itself, while ariel is specifically the GPU part? I might be wrong but i think ariel is basically the navi 10 lite.

As to expectation, i now think PS5s gpu will be 1800mhz with 48 cu (basically the navi 10, as i think navi 10 lite is a navi 10 with different features for being semi custom).

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Colbert, you're gonna be shocked when your low ball estimates are going to be exceeded.

Heck, we already have a proven insider claim that both Sony and MS will exceed Stadia's 10.7 TF

To be fair Jason said that as far as he knows both Sony and Microsoft were aiming for specs above Stadia. He also clarified he doesn't know the actual specs.

Ah well, not much longer until Sonys fiscal year report. Let's see if anything of note comes from it as far as next gen tidbits.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair Jason said that as far as he knows both Sony and Microsoft were aiming for specs above Stadia. He also clarified he doesn't know the actual specs.

Ah well, not much longer until Sonys fiscal year report. Let's see if anything of note comes from it as far as next gen tidbits.
Probably nothing more than "we are planning to release the next generation of the PlayStation console in 2020"

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Probably nothing more than "we are planning to release the next generation of the PlayStation console in 2020"

Maybe. But maybe we'll get fiscal projections that could give us hints at what could come. Not expecting them to provide a teraflops number or anything, lol, but just some subtle clues here or there might be nice.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe. But maybe we'll get fiscal projections that could give us hints at what could come. Not expecting them to provide a teraflops number or anything, lol, but just some subtle clues here or there might be nice.
Aye, maybe.

A big drop in profit forecast for the next fiscal year might mean a $500 console?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

I only hope we will get some teases or confirmation of a super slim revision happening, i dont expect details about the PS5 unless it releases in spring this year, but after jason saying its fall 2020 i gave up that idea (he also reiterated that in his podcast yesterday)

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I only hope we will get some teases or confirmation of a super slim revision happening, i dont expect details about the PS5 unless it releases in spring this year, but after jason saying its fall 2020 i gave up that idea (he also reiterated that in his podcast yesterday)

Link to podcast please? I'll listen to it tomorrow

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You missed my point completely. Sorry.
Still talking strict PC here.
a) I was not talking about the TDP in my response at all as you can't derive any clock speed from it or the resulting peak performance.
b) I never mentioned 2000Mhz, I mentioned 2280MHz. You seem to ignore that fact completely and make up a completely new context.
c) To me the 2280MHz is a crazy clock speed looking at the Radeon 7 that already is on a 7nm process and running at 1750Mhz boost clock.
d) Following your suggested math just for the first line already contradicted your idea how the performance column is to read by putting the most expensive card behind the 48CU GPU in peak performance.
e) The Xbox One X example was a general assessment that we instead looking just at the peak performance we should also look into it from an efficiency standpoint. We all know that Nvidia produces a better in-game performance with the same peak performance. I would assume that AMD has worked on that issue to close that gap to Nvidia with Navi. So instead to have to increase clock speeds which reduces yields why not just build a more efficient GPU and have some headroom to finally compete again with Nvidia at in-game performance and power-efficiency. I agree based on the table they will achieve the better power-efficiency target if those numbers are accurate.

I repeat: My point is that the performance column in the table we talk about is not referencing increases in peak performance (TFs) by percentages, it compares to expected in-game performance benchmarked for those existing GPUs and the mentioned percentages is how much we should expect as an increase. The only way you could derive the peak performance from that table would be if the table would contain the actual clock speeds for the Navi GPUs.

Maybe it would help you if you remake the diagram and put the clock speeds and the resulting peak performances of the Navi GPUs and the GPUs compared to into the new diagram. And then have fun to explain all the inconsistencies.

Edit:
This is not about what you think the peak performance of the PS5 or Anaconda are.
i choose an even 2000 mhz to prove that you can hit 14 tflops on a Navi 10 SE without going up to 2280 like you did.

You and i both have been in these threads long enough to know vega 7 comparisons are simply not valid for so many reasons.

Again, i asked you specifically to ignore the nvidia comparison because we all know nvidia tflops cannot be compared to amds. At least not yet.

What do you think the overall tflops is then? For the rx 3080. Or the Navi 10 SE?

You are making assumptions about Navi matching nvidia tflops performance due to architectural gains and yet completely ignoring the physical gains of going to a 7nm die. This is pc gpus we are talking about here. Why would they settle for a sub 2.0 ghz clockspeed on a 48 or 56 or 64 CU gpu? What's stopping them?

If the navi architectural improvements are really that amazing, they come on top of the clockspeed and cu improvements. Not at their expense.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
i choose an even 2000 mhz to prove that you can hit 14 tflops on a Navi 10 SE without going up to 2280 like you did.

You and i both have been in these threads long enough to know vega 7 comparisons are simply not valid for so many reasons.

Again, i asked you specifically to ignore the nvidia comparison because we all know nvidia tflops cannot be compared to amds. At least not yet.

What do you think the overall tflops is then? For the rx 3080. Or the Navi 10 SE?

You are making assumptions about Navi matching nvidia tflops performance due to architectural gains and yet completely ignoring the physical gains of going to a 7nm die. This is pc gpus we are talking about here. Why would they settle for a sub 2.0 ghz clockspeed on a 48 or 56 or 64 CU gpu? What's stopping them?

If the navi architectural improvements are really that amazing, they come on top of the clockspeed and cu improvements. Not at their expense.
How I think about CUs and clock speeds you can derive from my baseline prediction that is on the most recent state.The prediction is threadmarked on the first page of this thread. Please keep in mind that I think it can end up 10% higher if they "go for it". Please also keep in mind that my prediction is based on my educated guesses and information that is available to me. As we can see, other educated guesses can be quite different but I looked into it from several angles (cost, power draw, common technology patterns. current GPU market and available peak performances).

Last edited:

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why people dislike Colbert's estimates lol. Like he said, it's based on what we know.

I want a 12tf console myself, but there's a lot of things that have to go right for it to happen. That 1800mhz gonzalo for instance has to take a battering from tests and still be in working order. What type of cooling do you need for that to happen?

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Christ what a last ten pages! To repeat myself, PS5 will not be 8tf...Im comfortable with my 12tf prediction, with Anaconda within 10% +/-. Just keep telling yourselves the tf number is not even half the story! We have all fancy new architecture in these things! Can you imagine some of the games we are going to be seeing?!

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
okay reading through the financial report, it sounds like the next gen console will still be in development this fiscal year for all those that hoped a march launch.
also sony will drop the price of the playstation 4 which indicates a super slim revision might be releasing this year.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Guys, dev kits from both Sony and MS are now out in the wild with third party studios. It is only a matter of time before someone hits up Jason Schirer or Eurogamer/DigitalFoundry. Sony's "Hey, the PS5 exists and this is what we're aiming for" interview with Wired was just them heading off the inevitable leaks in the coming weeks. We'll know a lot more pretty soon.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Guys, dev kits from both Sony and MS are not out in the wild with third party studios. It is only a matter of time before someone hits up Jason Schirer or Eurogamer/DigitalFoundry. Sony's "Hey, the PS5 exists and this is what we're aiming for" interview with Wired was just them heading off the inevitable leaks in the coming weeks. We'll know a lot more pretty soon.
rumors is they have, they just need to confirm it.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
okay reading through the financial report, it sounds like the next gen console will still be in development this fiscal year for all those that hoped a march launch.
also sony will drop the price of the playstation 4 which indicates a super slim revision might be releasing this year.

Top loader or GTFO.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I meant to say dev kits ARE out in the wild right now. Typo on my part.
Yeah I know, no worries

Still hoping for that HBM + DDR4 rumor to be true though.

giphy.gif

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Either Sony is betting a lot on TLoU 2 and Death Stranding to push PS4s next FY or they are planning for deep price cuts for the PS4, which means a super slim is in the works? Have there been any rumors about 7nm PS4 revisions? I think there was.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Christ what a last ten pages! To repeat myself, PS5 will not be 8tf...Im comfortable with my 12tf prediction, with Anaconda within 10% +/-. Just keep telling yourselves the tf number is not even half the story! We have all fancy new architecture in these things! Can you imagine some of the games we are going to be seeing?!
Already plead guilty that your studio already has a dev kit ;) Don't be so shy ... ;)

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Either Sony is betting a lot on TLoU 2 and Death Stranding to push PS4s next FY or they are planning for deep price cuts for the PS4, which means a super slim is in the works? Have there been any rumors about 7nm PS4 revisions? I think there was.
Yeah, probably a super-slim

FY2019 Forecast (year-on-year)

Sales: Essentially flat year-on-year
  • - Decrease in PS4 hardware unit sales
  • - Impact of foreign exchange rates
  • + Increase in game software sales

OI: 31.1 bln yen decrease
  • - Increase in development expenses for the next generation console
  • - Decrease in contribution from highly-profitable first-party software titles
  • - Negative impact of foreign exchange rates
  • + PS4 hardware cost reduction

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
having a 7nm revision of the PS4 at 199$ will do wonders for them IMO, both in terms of PS4 adoption and i assume it will help lower production costs once the PS5 launches.

Nov 12, 2017
After Klobrille answer to my question about RT .....and naughty dog artist tweet..I think that PS5 could have hw RT but less flops....and Ana used all the space to go for flops

Did we heard in past someone saying that Anaconda could have a physics processor? Or something like that?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017

Yes. This fall, $199 was the leak

That would be fantastic tbh...you thinking $499 for the PS5 though?

I'm still on the $399 camp, 10-12TF, 16-20 RAM, with Anaconda being 20% more of those and 25% more expensive.

I think, as Jez said, both Sony and MS know what the other guys are doing so thats why they're confident in being most powerful, and Cerny's comments about price were just a bit of misdirection.

$399 is to good of a price to pass up, the"sweet spot" of power/price some have alluded too.

Alright, finally unbanned from thanos's snap, i missed A LOT of excitement here, haha.
I did see some confusion about gonzalo and ariel, from my understanding gonzalo is the codename of the APU itself, while ariel is specifically the GPU part? I might be wrong but i think ariel is basically the navi 10 lite.

As to expectation, i now think PS5s gpu will be 1800mhz with 48 cu (basically the navi 10, as i think navi 10 lite is a navi 10 with different features for being semi custom).

Welcome back mate!

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Regardless of actual TF numbers, having a new generation with new CPU's and SDD's will be a massive leap for the industry. Feels like we have been held back by poor performing CPU's for years now, even if they did make some cool stuff with it. Looking forward to a new generation that does not have to worry as much about the CPU being the weak link.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much of these specs (specifically the CPU and SSD) are in part driven by Rockstar for GTA6?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

for a watts limited, die space limited APU approach in a closed box - I think actual RT cores is a terrible use of precious real estate. Especially with XB1X and ps pro making it more difficult to impress with pure TF next gen, you'd potentially lose too much in regular rendering performance for the sake of bragging rights for a nascent feature. And risk that not being fully leveraged if it isn't adopted widely

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, this generation is really much more predictable. Back then, until the rumors started coming in, nobody knew if Sony and MS will continue going with exotic IBM sourced architecture for CPUs and/or GPUs or not. Then the rumors started pouring in about the clear arhitecture convergence where it was obvious that both will be going the AMD route due to cost reduction from APU design. So in reality, things were much harder to predict.

Going forward, even a few years back, it was clear as daylight that the next ones will be pure AMD again. When we got first Zen numbers (1xxx series), CPU predictions became relatively straightforward. We're still waiting for Navi, but again, we can predict more or less the general performance capacity.

Also, back last gen, Sony wasn't in a really good financial shape and everybody thought they'll play safe. Which they did in the end.

I'm just thinking back to last gen teraflop predictions I saw on places like B3D, even after the XBO's 1.3 teraflop number leaked, almost nobody believed it until the very end, there was still quite a few 2.5 and 3 teraflops predictions.

If we have a proven insider telling us that some people are going to be disappointed, that pretty strongly implies we might want lower our expectations just a smidge.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
for a watts limited, die space limited APU approach in a closed box - I think actual RT cores is a terrible use of precious real estate. Especially with XB1X and ps pro making it more difficult to impress with pure TF next gen, you'd potentially lose too much in regular rendering performance for the sake of bragging rights for a nascent feature. And risk that not being fully leveraged if it isn't adopted widely

So let's say there's a trade off based on die space for hardware RT vs extra GPU CUs - with the extra TF being used for software RT in the latter, what sort difference in results would you get?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
O, I know which one it was. It had lots of details about RAM.
Thanks for your answer and have a nice day:) Hopefully, this Day will be Gone before you know it;)

Well thanks a lot and a nice day to you too, always nice to wake up to kind words like yours. :)

This weekend is certainly shaping up to be full of excitement ;)

Mac Dalton

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Question

Is It possible to use hardware RT cores for something different than pure ray, tracing ?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't believe Mark Cerny would have been careless in his assertion that PS4 graphics at native 4K would require an 8TF GPU. He had to know that delivering the same visual quality as this generation, but at 4K would be considered a disappointment for the PS5. This would set 8TF as a rock bottom for performance going forward. With all the talk in the Wired article about a true next generation jump I can't see that fitting together at all as a PR strategy. I'd have to go back and dig up my original forward-looking estimates, but I believe they were for an 8-9TF console in 2019 or 9-12TF in 2020. The latter still feels realistic, if conservative on the low end.

This... this is where I am.

Well put, Lady Gaia.

Right on the mark. Our only real example of gaming raytracing "specific" hardware are the RT cores on the Geforce RTX cards. Even those aren't truly "fixed function", at least in the sense that we might consider ROPs or TMUs, geometry draw, or transform and lighting hardware in old pre-programmable shader GPU designs as fixed function. Raytracing is just a function of compute power, and having hardware that's just optimized to do the primary SIMD calculations needed for RT technically is hardware support, even if you've not cordoned off a chunk of silicon to do RT and nothing else.

RTX cores provide major benefits in accelerating BVH intersection tests, i.e. a part of the RT algorithm that the rest of the GPU isn't well suited to do.

So on that basis, while I agree with your general point that RT on the whole is primarily a general compute function, there may yet be other interesting areas that can be accelerated with fixed function hardware.

The 60 CUs Vega VII is 331mm2.

That 331mm² is for the whole GPU, including caches, i/o, FP64 gubbinz and HBM memory interfaces.

Tbf, however, if we compare PS4 to Pitcairn (HD 8870 with 20CUs), you're looking at a die size of 348mm² vs. 212mm² -- both on 28nm. I think Sony's 8 Jaguar cores at 28nm was around < 70mm², so that still leaves around 66mm² for all the uncore IO and interconnect gubbinz.

As such, I'd be surprised to see as much as 64CUs in PS5 or Anaconda's APUs, provided they stick with a max die area of < 360mm².

If they go with a chiplet design, however, it's a totally different story. Die-size limits on the more complex 7nm process may mean that both PS5 and Anaconda are going with a chiplet design.

The reddit rumour that talked about HBM for PS5 mentioned a 7nm PS4 made by Samsung.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Hey, that is my job LOL.

No seriously, as I said earlier, I expect Navi to more efficient in games than their current GCN counterparts by around +10% to +15%, hence a Navi 9TF would perform like a 10.7TF AMD Vega 56. And if my estimation is too low, who cares, all will be happy it is better including me. Also: I expect a variance on my prediction, so I absolutely can see if somebody "goes for it" it can 10% higher for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.