• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Who would be in a position to know all of that? The people who are making up these leaks always screw it up by pretending to know the launch window release plans of multiple AAA publishers in addition to the specs. If you want to make the leak look realistic just ask yourself, would a dev working on the current version of the devkit know about this? If the answer is no just don't include it in your bullshit leak.

There is no single person on this planet with that level of insight into Sony's first party developement plans and Square -Enix's as well as Rockstar's next gen release plans. Not even high ranking Playstation executives, who would not be able to just spit out the specs right on the spot since they are executives, not developers.

Just put some effort into these leaks ffs.

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
I think marketing wise the LockHart has two major hurdles to overcome.
1) The marketing focus on Anaconda is inevitably going to make it less attractive. You can't place "it's a monster" next to "it's affordable I guess" and not expect people to feel like it's just a worse deal.
Most "budget conscious gamers" don't buy consoles at launch, so they'll just wait for Anaconda to get cheap, or go for PS5 (which just has to market itself)
2) People that worry over console budget probably don't want to buy all those games again by switching to Xbox.
GP can ameliorate this, but it's hardly a perfect fix

Oct 27, 2017
LOL, leave for a while and come back to talk about how the PC target may hold back Xbox next gen games compared to Sony. I don't think many people understand the reality that developers target high to start and tailor down as necessary for other platforms, which is what the Xbox One X dev kit and no doubt the next gen Scarlett dev kit will enable too. Gears of War 4 and the Forza games are amazing on PC and certainly didn't impact the Xbox versions in any negative manner.

I love Gears as much as the next guy, but we all know what it takes to make a game like that work, (slow walking sections, elevators, areas where you have to lift up something and it crumbles behind you, one way doors, one way jumps etc etc) we see these in a lot of other great games as well because that's what the hardware needs to make the game feasible.

Gears of War and Forza aren't designed around a requirement of a top speed SSD. But they do need to be designed in a way that they can be read off 5400rpm drives with certain read speeds. All games are designed like that this gen and that's fine. But mine & Fruity 's discussion isn't about how games are designed this gen, but the hypothetical floors / ceilings of games that can be designed around very high speed storage systems next-gen — and what can happen when you only need to design to account for one (Sony), vs what might happen if you need to account for multiple targets. If MS needs to make their games for Xboxes AND PC's then they can run into the same balancing decisions 3rd party developers will have to make. We won't see the impact of that during the cross-gen phase, but it can be an issue later in the gen. Sony and it's high floor one spec target can push further than MS would be able to if they still want to run on PCs that don't match Lock/Ana's read speeds. They might still need to use methods like Gears (and others games) uses today.

They can get around that by either asking for a higher base spec in PCs (which I stated), or maybe restricting the higher demand games to streaming (in which case I guess they wouldn't be running on the PC anyway). That's what we were talking about.

Last edited:

loicperrin31

Oct 12, 2018
France
New Redit Leak

PS5 Details and Launch
  • $449/€449/£399.
  • ~12-13TF.
  • 24GB RAM.
  • 2TB storage (SSD + custom).
  • BC with all previous Playstations.
  • Minor changes to DS5, also has IR camera.
  • Launches worldwide September 2020.
  • PSVR2 coming later.

• Big first party year 1 games are Gran Turismo and Horizon 2. GT will launch with the console. There's other titles for year 1, but these are the two "big" ones at the reveal event.
  • Japan Studio will be at launch with a new IP, will also be shown off at event, but they have begun work on a AAA title too.
  • San Diego is the only other first party studio planned to appear at the event.

• No plans for any upcoming PS4 first party titles to be cross gen at release.
  • All of Ghost, TLOU2, and Death Stranding are planned to release by mid-2020 as PS4 games.
  • TLOU2 late 2019, Ghost early 2020, and Death Stranding after that, barring any delays.
  • No PS5 versions are decided at the moment. Focus is on delivering the PS4 versions. Discussions about how to proceed with hypothetical PS5 versions - if you launch a significantly upgraded PS5 game for retail/digital in year 1, then letting PS4 owners pay a small upgrade fee since the PS4 disc is usable and playable on PS5 anyway seems to be favored route. Alternatively, you just play the normal PS4 disc on the PS5.

• Square Enix will be at reveal event with Luminous Production new IP (RPG) and Final Fantasy 16.
  • FF16 was originally planned as a current gen title but due to the screw up with FF7 Remake which delayed it from the planned release of 2018, it was moved to next gen.
  • FF7 Remake is not a PS5 release. Current gen only and no plans for a PS5 version right now.
  • LP is also making a FF15 PS5 Edition for launch.
  • DQXI with added content will be on PS5.
  • Capcom, Warner Bros, and Rockstar (RDR2 next gen) will be at the reveal event.

Those are the only things confirmed for now as planning is underway.
So fake I will take any 4chan leak over this

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
guys keep in mind that any leak is not 100% accurate. so there might be 4 5 lines of actual leak in there and rest could be BS to cover up traces

Jan 21, 2019
So fake I will take any 4chan leak over this

This guy knows so much, he probably also knows what TV I have in my room and how often I dust the TV stand.
At least try to sound realistic captain know-it-all. The account is also a throw away unlike ruthenicCookie, so I believe it even less.

Checked RuthenicCookies account again. He is suggesting that the PS5 will be 500-600$.

Last edited:

plow

Oct 28, 2017
New Redit Leak

PS5 Details and Launch
  • $449/€449/£399.
  • ~12-13TF.
  • 24GB RAM.
  • PSVR2 coming later.

• Big first party year 1 games are Gran Turismo and Horizon 2. GT will launch with the console. There's other titles for year 1, but these are the two "big" ones at the reveal event.
  • Japan Studio will be at launch with a new IP, will also be shown off at event, but they have begun work on a AAA title too.
  • San Diego is the only other first party studio planned to appear at the event.

• All of Ghost, TLOU2, and Death Stranding are planned to release by mid-2020 as PS4 games.
  • TLOU2 late 2019, Ghost early 2020, and Death Stranding after that, barring any delays.
  • No PS5 versions are decided at the moment. Focus is on delivering the PS4 versions. Discussions about how to proceed with hypothetical PS5 versions - if you launch a significantly upgraded PS5 game for retail/digital in year 1, then letting PS4 owners pay a small upgrade fee since the PS4 disc is usable and playable on PS5 anyway seems to be favored route. Alternatively, you just play the normal PS4 disc on the PS5.

• Square Enix will be at reveal event with Luminous Production new IP (RPG) and Final Fantasy 16.
  • FF16 was originally planned as a current gen title but due to the screw up with FF7 Remake which delayed it from the planned release of 2018, it was moved to next gen.
  • FF7 Remake is not a PS5 release. Current gen only and no plans for a PS5 version right now.
  • Capcom, Warner Bros, and Rockstar (RDR2 next gen) will be at the reveal event.

Eh i thought Luminous is pretty much done with Tabata leaving?

Oct 27, 2017
Funnily enough, as fake as the leak sounds, Squeenix repackaging FFXV for yet another version to resell sounds super believable to me lol.
RDR2 "double dip edition" also sounds believable given how R* played the GTAV releases. Much more beliable to me than GTAVI launching next-gen only at console launch.

Probably, but having full BC with everything WOULD mean that Sony would no longer need to make PS3 chipsets for their PS Now servers - the server racks could just be nothing but PS5 hardware from here on out. That would be fantastic for them.
This was the only reason I'm still willing to believe that PS5 will be capable of PS3 BC. Those existing blades have to EoL at som Epping and Sony must have a plan to replace them. They won't want to be making PS3 hardware forever.

Eh i thought Luminous is pretty much done with Tabata leaving?
The announcement was that they are done with FFXV not in general.

Jan 21, 2019
Funnily enough, as fake as the leak sounds, Squeenix repackaging FFXV for yet another version to resell sounds super believable to me lol.
RDR2 "double dip edition" also sounds believable given how R* played the GTAV releases. Much more beliable to me than GTAVI launching next-gen only at console launch.

Yeah, these are things that are supposed to make it sound more believable.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
he even knows exactly who will be at the reveal event which probably even sony doesn't know yet.

Feb 26, 2018
New Redit Leak

PS5 Details and Launch
  • $449/€449/£399.
  • ~12-13TF.
  • 24GB RAM.
  • PSVR2 coming later.

Too good to be true. Just to much info for a leak

BC part is kinda hmmm. Paying for ps5 patches is a bad idea. I hope this is not something Sony mandates

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
New Redit Leak

PS5 Details and Launch
  • $449/€449/£399.
  • ~12-13TF.
  • 24GB RAM.
  • PSVR2 coming later.

I believe that even Shu doesn't know this much about the PS5.

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
he even knows exactly who will be at the reveal event which probably even sony doesn't know yet.

I feel that a rep for a company would be told who else is on stage with them, and he doesn't mention their games, which adds up.

What doesn't is that he has no actual date or timeframe for the reveal itself, or that he would know specific TF details (Era bait), without any other marketing strategy (the widely reported "no loading times")

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
one thing this leaker did right, which is something that you dont often see in these leaks, is giving a performance range rather than a specific numbers, because sony doesnt even know the exact number right now as it depends on prices, tdp etc. i dont expect them to have a specific performance number until... december.

anyway it is still 90% chance of fake because of the way it is written.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
i dont think that "full BC" is as impossible as you think.
if sony gives up on giving trophies for every PS2 and PS1 free game and just emulates those two, and modify RPCS3 it should be possible.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i dont think that "full BC" is as impossible as you think.
if sony gives up on giving trophies for every PS2 and PS1 free game and just emulates those two, and modify RPCS3 it should be possible.
imagine how much money they would make selling all those PS1 and PS2 and PS3 again digitally

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
imagine how much money they would make selling all those PS1 and PS2 and PS3 again digitally
selling them all diigitally would have issues with licensing as was mentioned in the previous page.
its more likely that they will enable physical BC for those games and sony will slowly add them to the digital store after licensing stuff again.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
one thing this leaker did right, which is something that you dont often see in these leaks, is giving a performance range rather than a specific numbers, because sony doesnt even know the exact number right now as it depends on prices, tdp etc. i dont expect them to have a specific performance number until... december.

anyway it is still 90% chance of fake because of the way it is written.
I disagree. Devs with dev-kits should know the exact Tflops number of the machine they have on hands. But of course it won't necessarily be the performance of the retail units.

But that leak is obviously fake. BC will all previous Playstations ? LOL. They have no incentive doing that for free (except for PS4 BC because they want PS4 owners to enter into the PS5 ecosystem).

But free PS1, PS2 and PS3 BC ? They'll do when Xbox will outsell them worldwide...

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I disagree. Devs with dev-kits should know the exact Tflops number of the machine they have on hands. But of course it won't necessarily be the performance of the retail units.

But that leak is obviously fake. BC will all previous Playstations ? LOL. They have no incentive doing that for free (except for PS4 BC because they want PS4 owners to enter into the PS5 ecosystem).

But free PS1, PS2 and PS3 BC ? They'll do when Xbox will outsell them worldwide...
why would they leak the devkit instead of the specsheet?

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I don't believe any rumors with a SSD + HDD. It is a bad idea from a cost perspective. NAND flah cost is falling from a cliff. QLC SSD are currently available at 107 euros without IVA(company don't pay IVA in Europe), if you took the price for some of the logistic*, retailer profit and the packaging for a mass order the cost is probably 50 euros or dollars and SSD are cheaper in US.

https://www.pccomponentes.com/cruci...MI96qqvJGe4gIVSUHTCh0JhwEmEAQYASABEgLE7_D_BwE

For a 512Gb SSD the cost is half the price 25 dollars but you need to add the price of the HDD, HDD have incompressible cost because of mechanical element, an internal 2To HDD cost 70 dollars in retail probably 35 dollars of cost in a console with mass order. The cost of the two elements combined is more expensive than the SSD alone. If you take a 256 Gb SSD the cost is only 12,5 but it is only a few dollars(2,5) under the cost of a SSD 1tb Nvme alone.

The other problem is this incompressible 35 dollars cost for the HDD at the end of the gen. Price of 128 Gb SSD are very low much more than a HDD.

We can imagine a console at less than 199 dollars/euros using only a 1Tb SSD and probably less than 149 euros/dollars at the end of the generation(sure at 100% for a console without bluray).

https://www.pccomponentes.com/kings...MIyfC98MWf4gIVaijTCh05HQahEAQYAyABEgIskvD_BwE

The price is 17 euros without taxes, and without all the element I talked about before I doubt the cost is more than 75% of the final price or maybe 50% of the final price.

NAND flash are supposed to continue to drop a bit until end of the year.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ssd-prices-drop-2019-prediction,37982.html

* some part are for all the console not only the SSD

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe that rumor (September 2020 launch....nah).

I very much so like the sound of that PS5 BC though! I'd say it is possible. It could be one of Sony's bomb drops if they did all they could to make it happen.

Deleted member 38397

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Eugh, if there's any trace of a mechanical HDD in the next-gen consoles, I will feel unclean. Ideally, I'd ditch the disc drive too and have the cooling fan as the only moving part.

the_fastbuck

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it would be shitty to pay for rez and performance boosts. But if they went in and actually added a lot of stuff, 5 bucks wouldn't be bad for that.

in the ps4 launch window there was a similar thing were you could buy the ps3 version of assassins creed black flag and battlefield 4 and get the ps4 version for 10$. i thought it was a good deal at that time.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Eugh, if there's any trace of a mechanical HDD in the next-gen consoles, I will feel unclean. Ideally, I'd ditch the disc drive too and have the cooling fan as the only moving part.

HDD are the reason we never have console under 199 dollard/euros MSRP since the PS2. I think the more resonnable PS4 and Xbox One can reach a price under 199 dollars but bigger than 149 dollars without SSD we have no hope to reach 149 dollars or even better sub 149 dollars price.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Man full BC would be crazy, there are so many PS3 games that I'd like to play again.

If you were Sony do you announce that with the Wired article or wait for the full reveal?

Deleted member 38397

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 15, 2018
HDD are the reason we never have console under 199 dollard/euros MSRP since the PS2. I think the more resonnable PS4 and Xbox One can reach a price under 199 dollars but bigger than 149 dollars without SSD we have no hope to reach 149 dollars or even better sub 149 dollars price.

I'm not sure consoles would ever get that low again but I quite fancy the idea of an Xbox Two / PS5 digital edition whereby the Blu-ray is removed and $50-$100 knocked off or bigger SSD included. Yes, ditch the Blu-ray and go for 2TB SSD is my preference.

Oct 25, 2017
Man full BC would be crazy, there are so many PS3 games that I'd like to play again.

If you were Sony do you announce that with the Wired article or wait for the full reveal?
Wait for the full reveal.

Giving Wired the basic BC announcement added to the hype for the official reveal. Now Sony can benefit from getting into the specifics.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I'm not sure consoles would ever get that low again but I quite fancy the idea of an Xbox Two / PS5 digital edition whereby the Blu-ray is removed and $50-$100 knocked off or bigger SSD included. Yes, ditch the Blu-ray and go for 2TB SSD is my preference.

Or have a version staying at 1Tb and sold it at very low price. One day 1Tb SSD will cost the same price than 128 Gb SSD now.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

PS3 BC specifically makes a lot of sense because sony will probably want to replace their psnow servers from ps3 hardware to new hardware.

And no, ps3 bc is something that you wait for maximum effect. Ps4 bc was only said to lower worries for fans.
Ps3 bc will be revealed in either the psmeeting or in the next e3.

Apr 4, 2019

Just to add to this, the overhead costs include the baseline set of components in powering or cooling the device, which hasn't gotten anywhere near a PS2 slim ( apt comparison), meanwhile having to adjust for inflation.

The number of RAM chips is hard to get around as well; XO requires 16xDDR3-2133 chips, while PS4 cant really go below 8xGDDR5 chips for the consumer kit. PS2 may have had to deal with Rambus, but at the end of the day, it came down to two DRAM chips, which has further implications to the motherboard.

Die sizes are also still north of 200mm^2, so that'll have an impact on chips per wafer even if we assumed a normalized wafer & fab cost.

Last edited:

Nivek

Banned
Apr 24, 2019
Is Nvme more efficient power wise than HDD?
And since there is no spinning parts in SSD, does it create less heat?
If so then those savings can go toward gpu clocks.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Just to add to this, the overhead costs include the baseline set of components in powering or cooling the device, which hasn't gotten anywhere near a PS2 slim ( apt comparison), meanwhile having to adjust for inflation.

The number of RAM chips is hard to get around as well; XO requires 16xDDR3-2133 chips, while PS4 cant really go below 8xGDDR5 chips for the consumer kit. PS2 may have had to deal with Rambus, but at the end of the day, it came down to two DRAM chips, which has further implications to the motherboard.

I don't think we will reach 99 euros even without a BR but maybe a little bit under 149 dollars, why not. But I am sure with SSD only we can probably reach sub 199 dollars MSRP and I am sure with a combo SSD + HDD we will not reach it.

Last edited:
If I were to believe this leak, I'd say it comes from Squeenix marketing team. Somebody doing the slides for the presentation or something. Detailed inner info, vague external info, no deep technical data. At the same time, taking in account the idea of masking the source, it can be somebody else with no connection at all, and all the FF info is guesswork and bullshit.

In other words - leak doesn't need to come from the developer, it can be effing janitor who happens to be interested in the subject and is able to listen to cooler talk.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Leak is obviously fake, but on the BC thing...

Just because it it's potentially full BC doesn't mean it'll work like how Xbox will do it.

I will not be surprised if only PS4 games are disc and default enabled , and PS1/2/3 games have caveats attached ( digital only, gotta rebuy games you already owned because of reasons, etc etc )

Supporting PS4 library by default is the bare minimum concession that I see Sony has to do to keep the library migration seamless. If they have BC for older platforms, I can easily see a spin where you gotta rebuy them as part of some Digital Classic Programme or whatever

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I don't believe any rumors with a SSD + HDD. It is a bad idea from a cost perspective. NAND flah cost is falling. QLC SSD are currently available at 107 euros without IVA, if you took the price for some of the logistic*, retailer profit and the packaging for a mass order the cost is probably 50 euros or dollars and SSD are cheaper in US.

https://www.pccomponentes.com/cruci...MI96qqvJGe4gIVSUHTCh0JhwEmEAQYASABEgLE7_D_BwE

For a 512Gb SSD the cost is half the price 25 dollars but you need to add the price of the HDD, HDD have incompressible cost because of mechanical element, an internal 2To HDD cost 70 dollars in retail probably 35 dollars of cost in a console with mass order. The cost of the two elements combined is more expensive than the SSD alone. If you take a 256 Gb SSD the cost is only 12,5 but you are only a few dollars(2,5) under the cost of a SSD 1tb Nvme alone.

The other problem is this incompressible 35 dollars cost for the HDD at the end of the gen. Price of 128 Gb SSD are very low much lower than a HDD.

We can imagine a console at less than 199 dollars/euros using only a 1Tb SSD and probably less than 149 euros/dollars at the end of the generation(sure at 100% for a console without bluray).

https://www.pccomponentes.com/kings...MIyfC98MWf4gIVaijTCh05HQahEAQYAyABEgIskvD_BwE

The price is 17 euros without taxes, and without all the element I talke about before I doubt the cost is more than 75% of the final price or maybe 50% of the final price.

NAND flash are supposed to contnue to drop until end of the year.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/ssd-prices-drop-2019-prediction,37982.html

* some part are for all the console not only the SSD
You don't need to play the long game cost-wise regarding storage, it's not a CPU or GPU which needs to stay more or less the same the whole generation. You will have model refreshes and different storage solutions over the generation, just like any other generation. If starting the generation with a 256GB SSD + 2TB HDD makes sense cost-wise, if 3 years later a 2TB SSD will make more sense than the "S" or "slim" will have a 2TB SSD instead. As long as you upgrade over the years instead of downgrade, it will be fine. Right now 2TB SSD is way too expensive, 4 times more expensive than the 500GB HDD the PS4 and XBO had in 2013 so 1TB is probably the only option for a full SSD storage solution. Right now the retail cost of a 1TB SSD VS a 256GB SSD + 2TB HDD is the same. Will it stay cost the same in 18 months? I don't know, but right now going full SSD with just 1TB storage, that's pretty small and limiting for the end user, it might even create a media backlash.

Right now the X has only 780GB available for games and apps out of its' 1TB drive. Games that are X Enhanced are ~100GB so a lot of next-gen games will probably be bigger than that. We are pretty sure that Halo Infinite and Forza 8 will be launch titles, installing Forza 7 and Halo 5 will take up to 200GB of your X HDD and that is before DLC, so I'm pretty confident that Forza 8 and Halo Infinite will take more than ~1/3 of your HDD on launch day. Do you remember all the stories about "XBO-X HDD is too small"? Like this one, this one or this one? If next-gen launches with 1TB SSD it will be even worse.

Cache drive is the most logical option. Microsoft is already halfway there with their DL project Fast Start which uses DL to prioritize game blocks for early download in order for games to launch faster while downloading. That kind of project is perfectly suited for a DL system that smartly caches partial game data on the SSD from your main 2TB HDD or external drive. It also allows for the use of external drives and cheap HDD upgrades.

And just one remark regarding SSD price drops, we've already seen the lion's share of their price drop. The biggest factor in that trend was oversupply so don't expect SSD prices to drop much lower than 10c per GB, a price they are pretty close to right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.