• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I reiterate on my expectation that some people might be massively disappointed in next-gen specs. I don't think we are looking at underperforming devices - SDD and CPU alone will grant a huge upgrade -, but man, some of the expectations I'm reading are just ... They are just not possible for a consumer device in the range of $300 - $500. Xbox One X and PS4 Pro may have spoiled people a bit here. We'll see I guess. Looking forward to some confirmed hard numbers myself.

People are dreaming they can cool these things and afford a GPU that is top of the line.

I'm not going to expect anything higher than 8-10TF.

But I do admit reading this topic looking for substantial information/leaks is fun.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Here is the image :
specs.jpg

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I reiterate on my expectation that some people might be massively disappointed in next-gen specs. I don't think we are looking at underperforming devices - SDD and CPU alone will grant a huge upgrade -, but man, some of the expectations I'm reading are just ... They are just not possible for a consumer device in the range of $300 - $500. Xbox One X and PS4 Pro may have spoiled people a bit here. We'll see I guess. Looking forward to some confirmed hard numbers myself.

You hit on this, but I feel like a lot of people are looking the at the mid gen consoles as the base consoles and expecting the next gen consoles to significantly outperform them. I often have to remind myself that's not the case lol. The x1x will only be three years old when the anaconda launches. There were eight years between the launch of the 360 and the x1.

Oct 27, 2017

I agree.

I think Anaconda tops out around here:
  • Anaconda - 11.3 TF - 60 CUs @ 1475 - 499
Let the performance leader back peddling begin - or has it already started?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I agree.

I think Anaconda tops out around here:
  • Anaconda - 11.3 TF - 60 CUs @ 1475 - 499
Let the performance leader back peddling begin - or has it already started?
Well performance leader could mean better cpu and not necessarily gpu

Btw u seem way too confident .do you know something ? Since u work in video game development business and all maybe u like to tell us what u know lol

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea of a next gen console not being at least double the 'power' of one in the previous gen is ... well, disappointing.
why are you looking at the one though? you should be setting expectations based on the base consoles that released in 2013. not the fancy $500 console released in 2017.

a 10+ tflops PS5 or Anaconda would be almost 8x the power of the base xbox one. the xbox one was only 5x more powerful than the xbox 360. the ps4 was 7.6x more powerful than the PS4. PS5 would be a 5.5x jump so similar to the xbox one jump, but with navi architectural improvements, there is a good chance the 10tflops navi gpu will perform like a 12.5 tflops Vega GPU. which brings us to a 6.7x jump.

Add in dedicated cores on the GPU for ray tracing, super fast SSDs that will allow for megatextures and super fast traversal across the world, and a CPU thats twice as fast with 16 threads and various other improvements that should allow for a massive 4x jump in CPU, and this will be an even bigger leap than previous gen.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think I saw a scribble next to the pisser in bar bathroom about nextgen that looked more credible than this.

You people may need to calm down with these... uh.............................. yeah.

Wait, so random 4chan and reddit leaks are credible???

If MS keeps up the performance leader talk and only has one or two components that are "performance leaders" which doesn't translate into better visuals...they will get eaten alive.

Feb 10, 2018
The post can't be legit because of all these ridiculous acquisitions alone. Isn't that ... Quite obvious? :P

The specs can still be in the correct range of course, but that's more of an educated guess I feel like.

It says those are the studios they have been negotiating with, not bought.

This leak is more legitimate then the other leaks thrown about, because with this leak Leadbetter from DF, seems to believe the lockhart 4tf info.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wait, so random 4chan and reddit leaks are credible???

If MS keeps up the performance leader talk and only has one or two components that are "performance leaders" which doesn't translate into better visuals...they will get eaten alive.
But if u noticed they never used the term most powerful console term like they did with x .they used the term performace leader .which could mean many things . But I understand backlash will be big if that happens

Oct 27, 2017

I think if you make a bold statement like "performance leader" then your potential customers are expecting you to be an outright winner.

No ifs, or buts.

If you don't achieve that, what is the reason for that SKU to exist any longer? Performance was the USP.

Then the message changes to "the best way to play MS exclusives for the power user" or some other snake oil.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think if you make a bold statement like "performance leader" then your potential customers are expecting you to be an outright winner.

No ifs, or buts.

If you don't achieve that, what is the reason for that SKU to exist any longer? Performance was the USP.

Then the message changes to "the best way to play MS exclusives for the power user" or some other snake oil.
Can you answer the next part that I added into my last post lol

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Something tells me that we are gonna be debating the specs, even after the specs come in.

I hope that we get a PS5 in a colour other than black initially.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stop looking at the mid gen refreshes as the baselines.

Exactly. I'll go ahead and quote myself.

You hit on this, but I feel like a lot of people are looking the at the mid gen consoles as the base consoles and expecting the next gen consoles to significantly outperform them. I often have to remind myself that's not the case lol. The x1x will only be three years old when the anaconda launches. There were eight years between the launch of the 360 and the x1.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
who writes 1 like a ^?

i really hope MS ditches the lockheart system for their own sake. a 5.5 tflops gpu in 2020 is not going to go down well with gamers. every tv i see sold nowadays is a 4k tv. even casuals can go out and buy a smart 4k tv for like $200. in 2020 and beyond, it will become even more standard. i just dont see casuals rushing to buy the 1080p version just because its a $100-150 cheaper.

Oct 27, 2017

Btw u seem way too confident .do you know something ? Since u work in video game development business and all maybe u like to tell us what u know lol

I haven't worked in video games for a long time.

But just like everyone else, I have common sense and can draw my own conclusions rather than relying on being spoon fed information.

I sign posted this would happen a week ago but people were too busy shit posting to take any notice:

Morning ladies and gents.

So on one hand we have the tuned PS5 pumping out 12.9 TF and the other the Anaconda with it's "go wider(assume 60CUs) and slower(assume ~1500 clock)" at 11.5TF because it's higher spec vanilla components lumped together with less finesse.

Where does this leave the MS marketing strategy? It has the cheapest weakest box (Lockhart) and also the most expensive weaker box (Anaconda). So the corporate aspirational 'halo effect' they were gunning for is tarnished. A key marketing pillar would be crumbling.

Is this where we see MS pivot away from performance leader statements? Or will they continue with the same strategy and hope that Sony ultimately reveal a weaker box than them? Which could blow up in their face.

I think we'll see MS shift the narrative away from TF and power, they can't take the risk that they unveil a dud. Edit: So if the focus isn't power, it must be content(games), right? Where they will struggle. Or will they push strong on services angle? But who cares about the services when the games are lacking?

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
The post can't be legit because of all these ridiculous acquisitions alone. Isn't that ... Quite obvious? :P

The specs can still be in the correct range of course, but that's more of an educated guess I feel like.
So in your opinion do you think there's no way they've been in some form of talks with the studios listed even if most of the talks ended up going nowhere?

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think the next batch of ray tracing demos will be painful to look at, knowing it would probably run at 15fps on next gen consoles.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

Not really. The 'crazy' theories expect the PS5 to have about 2-2.3x the GPU power of the X at the same BoM, vs the PS4 having like 7x the GPU power at what I think was a smaller BoM (not counting inflation).

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I have updated my prediction. Changed it from baseline to ballpark and updated the specs of all consoles based on some discussions and information available. Variance reduced to +/- 5%.
Prediction
I personally expect the prices to be $299 (or $349) - $399 - $499. I don't know this. It's my prediction though.

The reasoning is rather simple: after PS4, I can't see Sony aiming for anything else than $399. Since Lockhart wants to be the cheapest option for entering next-gen gaming, it will be below that. And since Anaconda aims to be the "undisputed performance leader", it needs to be higher than that.

Last edited:

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Silly question, but what are the other benefits of SSDs in next-gen consoles other than super fast load times? I ask because I've heard some say that this and the new CPUs are the most important things about next-gen console specs.

Oct 27, 2017
Prices are the weak point of my prediction as they are not only decided on cost but other factors too. $399 and $499 are Safe Points.

Yes, I'd imagine things are still undecided on price at MS after the performance wake up call.

If MS have now realised they can't compete on power at the top end, the only other lever they can pull on is price. Exclusives are too far out to try and lure people in with and MS does not have a history of delivering on their promises in that regard.

Can you imagine going in with lower specs and being more expensive, again?!

I think this is where it gets really interesting.

MS will not want to cut the price too deeply. But PlayStation is a huge part of their business and Sony won't just roll over on price (I already assume Sony will go 399).

High specs, price wars. Either way it should be great for consumers...

Feb 10, 2018

No ifs, or buts.

You could say the same about the rather lofty expectations cerny has made for the PS5.

Yes, I'd imagine things are still undecided on price at MS after the performance wake up call.

If MS have now realised they can't compete on power at the top end, the only other lever they can pull on is price. Exclusives are too far out to try and lure people in with and MS does not have a history of delivering on their promises in that regard.

MS will not want to cut the price too deeply. But PlayStation is a huge part of their business and Sony won't just roll over on price (I already assume Sony will go 399).

But can you imagine if ps5 is $499 and anaconda is $399 but more powerful, Sony would be a laughing stock.

😜

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

MS will not want to cut the price too deeply. But PlayStation is a huge part of their business and won't just roll over on price (I already assume Sony will go 399).

This is some fanboy level of commitment. You really think you have it all figured out huh?

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
PSVR 2 measuring brain waves?

Besides, researches are being conducted on technologies for identifying a position inside a display screen to which the line-of-sight of a user is directed by measuring the brain waves (Electroencephalogram: EEG) of the user. With such technologies, the screen is divided into two or more areas, for example, so as to display a video that changes with a different pattern for each of the divided areas. The pattern different for each area denotes a video that blinks with a frequency and a phase different for each area, for example. A reaction for the blinking of light at a position focused by a user appears in the results of the measurement of the brain waves of the user. Hence, analyzing the brain-wave measurement results provides the identification of an area in screen to which the user is directing the line-of-sight.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2019/0146584.html

Status
Not open for further replies.