• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I'd imagine things are still undecided on price at MS after the performance wake up call.

If MS have now realised they can't compete on power at the top end, the only other lever they can pull on is price. Exclusives are too far out to try and lure people in with and MS does not have a history of delivering on their promises in that regard.

Can you imagine going in with lower specs and being more expensive, again?!

I think this is where it gets really interesting.

MS will not want to cut the price too deeply. But PlayStation is a huge part of their business and Sony won't just roll over on price (I already assume Sony will go 399).

High specs, price wars. Either way it should be great for consumers...

And that's why your posts are a joke and laughable.

Where did you see MS claim performance leader and where did you see backtracking on that statement with a wake up call?

Again, you deliver. A main reason to read this thread.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I'd imagine things are still undecided on price at MS after the performance wake up call.

If MS have now realised they can't compete on power at the top end, the only other lever they can pull on is price. Exclusives are too far out to try and lure people in with and MS does not have a history of delivering on their promises in that regard.

What are you even talking about? MS hasn't said anything about the performance level on anaconda lately. No one knows if the ps5 or anaconda will be more powerful, but there certainly hasn't been anything that suggest the ps5 is for sure more powerful and now ms is scrabbling trying to figure out how to spin their weaker console. Come on man...

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling the Tflop war is going to mislead people into trying to figure out what is best. Both sides are going to tweak the silicon and TFLOPs will likely not be the end all be all of what can be pumped out of each.

MS views the Xbox platform as one of their biggest drivers of services and right now services has made MS the most valuable company in the world. I expect them to be incredibly aggressive on price with a push to game pass. Wouldn't be surprised to see them pack in a 1 - 3 month game pass card and to activate it you just need to enter in CC. You will immediately boost users in the service and there is likely to be a large number who stick in once they are in because they will lose access to their games.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

MS will not want to cut the price too deeply. But PlayStation is a huge part of their business and Sony won't just roll over on price (I already assume Sony will go 399).

Lol:) thread just keeps giving

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Silly question, but what are the other benefits of SSDs in next-gen consoles other than super fast load times? I ask because I've heard some say that this and the new CPUs are the most important things about next-gen console specs.
Disk read speeds is a major bottleneck. There is only so much force you can use to spin a disc before it shatters.
More power in a console just means doing things faster. And using an SSD is currently the easiest way to dramatically improve true performance with proven existing technology.

Fast = power.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
I'm not sure consoles would ever get that low again but I quite fancy the idea of an Xbox Two / PS5 digital edition whereby the Blu-ray is removed and $50-$100 knocked off or bigger SSD included. Yes, ditch the Blu-ray and go for 2TB SSD is my preference.

They're not lowering console price by $50-$100 due to removing a ~$20 part

Nothing about that leak looks credible to me at least.

I stopped reading when I saw "gran turismo launch title". I've been following GT and Yamauchi long enough to know the game will be delayed 3 times and launch 2-3 years after originally scheduled.

Last edited:

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I reiterate on my expectation that some people might be massively disappointed in next-gen specs. I don't think we are looking at underperforming devices - SDD and CPU alone will grant a huge upgrade -, but man, some of the expectations I'm reading are just ... They are just not possible for a consumer device in the range of $300 - $500. Xbox One X and PS4 Pro may have spoiled people a bit here. We'll see I guess. Looking forward to some confirmed hard numbers myself.

the 18/20 Tflops defense force will be dissapointed for sure...

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling other members over a series of posts
I think we should get the astroturfers to wear name tags and sandwich boards so that some of you guys can keep up with how the agenda is changing.

If you can't see the sands shifting under your feet already, I don't know what to tell you.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think we should get the astroturfers to wear name tags and sandwich boards so that some of you guys can keep up with how the agenda is changing.

If you can't see the sands shifting under your feet already, I don't know what to tell you.

Please explain how the sands are shifting. It's very possible that I have missed statements made by the execs at sony and ms.

OriginalPug

Nov 5, 2017
As I'm on the wrong side 50 these days, don't get to post much. But having seen the lead up to a new generation of consoles from NES onwards (oh and the arguments between Commodore 64, Spectrum and BBC micro owners), the narrative never changes. It's more fun these days mind as we get a hourly commentary of rumours on this fandango technology you call social media, whereas back in the day, it was the letter sections of monthly magazines or Journalists in the know and you needed to wait a month to read the next set of crackpot instalments. Just change TF for 8 bit/16 bit and away we go. All I know is prepare to be underwhelmed somewhat; it's always the case the PR will oversell the technology, that's a given. As always its the software content on each machine that will ultimately drive sales, something that MS has it seems just figured out. Now they need to produce more games that more people want. TF will not do that. Anyway looking forward to both consoles.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
By the way, so I take it that the idea of a two stage storage set up is not favourable as opposed to a single one. I don't know how Sony or MS would like to pull off 1 or 2TB NVMe soldered onto the board without driving up the price as opposed to a 240/480GB NAND cache + 1 TB SATA 3 SSD set up (then again, I am unsure of that latter's pricing conditions as well).

And that begs the question, WHAT kind of size are we looking at on AVERAGE for AAA games and whether it means we are going to see multiple BDs (unless both consoles will support 4 layer BD player).
Buying a 256GB NVMe and a 2TB HDD in retail will cost you ~ the same as buying a single 1TB NVMe SSD. Buying a 2TB NVMe is so expensive right now (the cheapest I've found was 210$) that I don't see platform holders using it unless there is some kind of "elite" SKU. A 1TB NVMe makes sense cost-wise, but it's too small IMO. X allows users to use 780GB out of 1TB, with next gen games being bigger than current gen games, it sounds just too small. It also prevents replacing your storage solution or using an external HDD.

Using a cache SSD makes more sense if we look at the customer's perspective. It will allow 2TB storage for the same cost as a 1TB full SSD, it will allow replacing the HDD with whatever drive the customer wishes and it will allow external HDDs. On the other hand it will require a more sophisticated OS or some more attention from developers.

There are some lazy ways to do it. For instance developers will choose what must be on the ssd and what doesn't (FMVs or sound for instance don't need the SSD) and the OS will try to keep just the most recently played games on the SSD.

There are some more sophisticated ways to do it, for instance Microsoft's Fast Start project uses ML to understand what data blocks a game needs for its's initial launch so only these blocks are downloaded first. As a result the game can launch after only a small portion was downloaded while the developer doesn't have to fo anything. They can do the same with the SSD cache where the ML system understand what blocks the player needs in his specific location in the game and keep only that data on the SSD while blocks keep being swapped on and off the SSD as required. There is no reason to keep the final level of Uncharted 5 on the SSD while the player is still in the second level, right? When the player gets to the level before last, only then the OS will swap in the final level data into the SSD.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Here is something real that could be discussed by those that care - https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directx-12-boosts-performance-of-hitman-2/. IO Interactive had major FPS gains in performance when going to DirectX 12. This is due to multithread rendering pipeline support in the API to take advantage of better CPUs, so this type of thing should really help on next gen games using DirectX 12. I don't have much doubt that Microsoft will have some special silicon to get as much performance as possible out of DirectX 12 games too.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I think Anaconda will be 12 Tflops, I think PS5 will be 1.8 Ghz because of AMD Gonzalo leak Qualification sample but it can be the case with a low number of CU. Like Richard Leabetter did it can be a very low level of CU 36 like PS4 Pro, 40 like Xbox One x. 44 or 48... It doesn't means PS5 can't be 8 or 9 Tflops.

I only believe plausible leak... I believe PS5 will have two type of memory with HBCC for example.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
But just like everyone else, I have common sense and can draw my own conclusions rather than relying on being spoon fed information.

I sign posted this would happen a week ago but people were too busy shit posting to take any notice:

You're post from that time only shows your prediction/expectation. There hasn't been any recent news or developments to corroborate any of the content you've put forward.

Please reference what you're referring to - "performance wake up call" there has been no valid rumors or leaks to confirm or corroborate anything regarding the potential power of either box.

You have your predictions of a high cost, lower powered Anaconda going against a lower cost, higher powered PS5. I continue to think this is an unreasonable expectation. I know you've attempted to justify your position in the past, but I don't think those justifications are reasonable either. I can see same price with PS5 more powerful, or less probably, the same power with PS5 being cheaper, but not both.

MS is **aiming** to have Anaconda be the "undisputed performance leader" it would be detrimental if this was their target and they failed to meet it. They had a misstep with the Xbox one - pure gaming wasn't the target, and they included Kinect which inflated the price. With X1X, they've shown a full turn around, and what can be done with a targeted design process - this is the team designing Anaconda. And this shows what can be done with a $100 price difference: RAM, Bandwidth, Clockspeed.

Your prediction includes a much higher clocked PS5 (over Anaconda). Currently, even Xbox 1S has a higher clocked GPU than the PS4 Pro (914 vs 911) - Sony has been very conservative with clockspeed this gen. Whereas Xbox has pushed this from the start, and currently has the most advanced cooling system ever used in a console - this is engineering work they've already done which can be iterated upon for their next consoles. Sony can do this too of course, but they'll be starting at the begining.

Nothing has changed. There's been no new info. Rumors and leaks should have some corroboration/confirmation before we begin to consider them for speculation. Picking and choosing rumors that match your expectations doesn't make them any more correct.

You are firm in your predictions, and that's fine. But it's not appropriate to push forward that speculation as if it were fact, when there has been no corroboration.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Where can I find that "leak"?
Gamer17 already posted it earlier ...
Here is the image :
specs.jpg

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here is something real that could be discussed by those that care - https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/directx-12-boosts-performance-of-hitman-2/. IO Interactive had major FPS gains in performance when going to DirectX 12. This is due to multithread rendering pipeline support in the API to take advantage of better CPUs, so this type of thing should really help on next gen games using DirectX 12. I don't have much doubt that Microsoft will have some special silicon to get as much performance as possible out of DirectX 12 games too.
That's a given. I've thought the same; MS will make a GPU can work with DirectX 12 really, really well.

What I want to know is, if they future proof it so it can work with Direct X 13 in the future. That's never been done from what I know.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
The reason I didn't post the specific specs is because I can't verify that part and I don't want to post stuff I can't validate for myself :) It's not based on that Reddit post though. Different numbers.

The stuff I can validate was the stuff I posted already (differentiation between the two SKU).

The specs on the one hand and the marketing differentiation on the other come from two completely different documents independent from each other.

There's no chance that loackhart and anaconda have different launch windows, right? Both are supposed to launch at the same time?

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
That's a given. I've thought the same; MS will make a GPU can work with DirectX 12 really, really well.

What I want to know is, if they future proof it so it can work with Direct X 13 in the future. That's never been done from what I know.
Well, Xbox One launched with DX 11, and was updated to DX 12 in 2015. So there's past precedence.

hmqgg has suggested that leading into next gen, the Direct X team is doing a massive overall on the backend:
I don't know much about Slipspace Engine, but actually, DirectX team is working on a whole new backend, which is especially targeting next gen Xbox.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/mi...-sold-off-by-now.75600/page-217#post-15418682

Yep. Although the reconstruction of Xbox DirectX Backend is not included.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/xb...plays-we-all-win.94058/page-307#post-19895816

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I would fully expect that they would include anything silicon wise that may help with future iterations of DirectX as they obviously know what that roadmap/plan would be :)

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
The one thing I can't wait to see is how next gen gonna look. Design, color, controller.

As some have stated already , mid gen have spoiled us.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I think Anaconda will be 12 Tflops, I think PS5 will be 1.8 Ghz because of AMD Gonzalo leak Qualification sample but it can be the case with a low number of CU. Like Richard Leabetter did it can be a very low level of CU 36 like PS4 Pro, 40 like Xbox One x. 44 or 48... It doesn't means PS5 can't be 8 or 9 Tflops.

I only believe plausible leak... I believe PS5 will have two type of memory with HBCC for example.
Well, we are all entitled whatever we want to think. I think you are wrong.

I think there will be no more than an 8CU difference between the two consoles and no more than a 10% power gap. But that's just what I think though.
The one thing I can't wait to see is how next gen gonna look. Design, color, controller.

As some have stated already , mid gen have spoiled us.
Same here, If I could do all that CAD stuff I have one helluva idea for how a next-gen console could be designed. I wonder if someone hee wats to help feed into my pet project.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think expectations are crazy here, quite the contrary. I think they're on point.

Most expect 56-60 CU, clocked at 1400-1800, and I'm sure PS5/Anaconda will fall exactly into that. (10-13.8 TF).

If you wanna be more specific we could get the middle number for the clock speed:

56 at 1600 = 11.5
60 at 1600 = 12.3

And add a +-10% deviation.

That's what we should expect, and we wont be wrong I think

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Something tells me that we are gonna be debating the specs, even after the specs come in.

I hope that we get a PS5 in a colour other than black initially.

I'm already putting pennies aside for a DBrand skin. Not perfect but they make a nice change.

I don't believe anything has been confirmed about that.

What are the chances anaconda really is using zen 3/smt3or4/navi7nm+ but is actually a later release/mid gen refresh? Probably slim to none but thought I'd muse myself.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I don't think expectations are crazy here, quite the contrary. I think they're on point.

Most expect 56-60 CU, clocked at 1400-1800, and I'm sure PS5/Anaconda will fall exactly into that. (10-13.8 TF).

If you wanna be more specific we could get the middle number for the clock speed:

56 at 1600 = 11.5
60 at 1600 = 12.3

100% this.

Feb 8, 2018
I would bet anything neither PS5 or Anaconda are <10TF. PR nightmare.
It's not a nightmare when you don't focus on it. If they focused on what is viewed as weak CPU when they started talking about current-gen instead of focusing on its strenght it wouldn't have been a smart decision. The strong features will once again overshadow the weaknesses.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think once raytracing comes to consoles we will start seeing very creative ways of implementing it. Like running it at quarter rez and upscaling the results onto a 4k frame....

I think it will simply be optimization, no need to find workarounds. IIRC, DICE was able to double the performance of their ray traced reflections within a few weeks after launching by optimizing.

Most next gen games will run at 30 fps anyway. PC gamers almost never settle for 60 fps, but i think even a rtx 2060 can do ray tracing rather well at 30 fps at 1080p.

besides, DICE and other devs have simply shoehorned in the ray tracing support. games designed from the ground up will use it better. after playing metro, i hope they all go for global illumnation instead of reflections or even worse but i would love to see reflections at least on spiderman 2's skyscrapers. BF has only one level where reflections are something you notice. looking at all the games released this year, i dont see which game would need ray traced reflections. GI though would help every single game.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Well, we are all entitled whatever we want to think. I think you are wrong.

I think there will be no more than an 8CU difference between the two consoles and no more than a 10% power gap. But that's just what I think though.

Same here, If I could do all that CAD stuff I have one helluva idea for how a next-gen console could be designed. I wonder if someone hee wats to help feed into my pet project.

Where did I say I think than PS5 will be 8/9 TFlops. I don't know but it is a possibility.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Xbox One S and All Digital Edition say "Er... hello!"

Err, one s launched in 2016 at $300. Your argument is that ~3 years later the $50 decrease of SAD is strictly due to removal of BD drive? If the SAD never came to be, a normal one s with a BD drive would also cost $250 msrp. I can walk into BB, walmart or look on amazon and newegg to get a regular one s for ~$200.

Nov 11, 2017
The more I think about it the more I'm full on with Sony going 399 it's the better spot if you plan on consoles being your main business driver. At 499 that's for the hardcore which anaconda will be marketed too. Lockhart and ps5 will be majority of the sales for consoles

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel

56 at 1600 = 11.5
60 at 1600 = 12.3

I still think that 1800MHz is crazy high for a GCN GPU. Radeon VII is having a hard time hitting 1800MHz and it's a 700$ high end part on 7nm. If Gonzalo really is 1800MHz, the CU count is probably pretty low, somewhere in the 40s'.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017

56 at 1600 = 11.5
60 at 1600 = 12.3

This is pretty close to what I'm expecting as well. Maybe a little higher actually.

They're going to talk less about visual improvements this gen (of course games will look noticeably better) and focus on SSD speed for minimized loading, CPU allowing for more interaction and better performance, and expanding the ecosystem.

Apr 4, 2019

That's already something that devs are doing on console because of the console-specific APIs.

The issue on PC is that AMD's DX11 drivers aren't as magical as nVidia's (which have some workaround to do multithreading), so Radeons can end up seeing more gains (usually) than nVidia in this context (of dx12 renderers). You might notice certain disparities between the two IHVs are less egregious with games that support DX12 or Vulkan.

The pseudo-DX12 support on Win7 that was introduced with World of Warcraft a little earlier in the year is a bit of a hack to get multithreaded rendering on DX11.

Last edited:

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
What is the highest clock speed a console has ever run? Because unless people think the form factor of a console will change dramatically, I think there is a bit of wishful thinking on these clock speeds when you take into consideration a thin, small console form factor.

It's not always a question of what the chip is capable of - sometimes it's a question of what can be run at nearly 100% for 5 years with very low defect rates.

Not saying it's impossible - but seems very unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.