• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Florida
No he has good source on CPU side not GPU side of AMD.

He's historically been spot on with Zen

AdoredTV has been weak the past month. He spends 90% of his video explaining how he had info 6 months so but he didn't share it or why he got the info wrong in his previous videos.

tenor.gif

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Data rate on a per-chip basis has to do with the clock rate of each chip used. That 8 times discrepancy you see is reflected in the base clock that each memory format runs at. so something like 500mhz frHBM but 4000Mhz for GDDR6. That is also why GDDR6 needs more power to drive it.

Why you end up with a lot more bandwidth with HBM is because the interface bus is much much bigger. Each HBM chip has 2 x 128bit channels. Each chip of GDDR6 has the only 32bit. So with a 4hi stack of HBM you are looking at 256bit x 4 = 1024bit bus pr stack and thee are typically at least 2 stacks.

For GDDR6, the more chips that make up the configuration, the higher your bs width becomes. So just multiply the number of chips used by 32 and you get your bus size. With HBM, first find out the number of chips in a stack (usually there are 4) then multiply that by 256bit to get the bus width of each stack, then multiply that by the number of stacks present to get total bus width.
Sorry it's been a few days to catch up again.

Gotcha. Thank you for the clarification. It's an excellent post because it all makes sense now.

New Redit Leak

PS5 Details and Launch
  • $449/€449/£399.
  • ~12-13TF.
  • 24GB RAM.
  • 2TB storage (SSD + custom).
  • BC with all previous Playstations.
  • Minor changes to DS5, also has IR camera.
  • Launches worldwide September 2020.
  • PSVR2 coming later.

• Big first party year 1 games are Gran Turismo and Horizon 2. GT will launch with the console. There's other titles for year 1, but these are the two "big" ones at the reveal event.
  • Japan Studio will be at launch with a new IP, will also be shown off at event, but they have begun work on a AAA title too.
  • San Diego is the only other first party studio planned to appear at the event.

• No plans for any upcoming PS4 first party titles to be cross gen at release.
  • All of Ghost, TLOU2, and Death Stranding are planned to release by mid-2020 as PS4 games.
  • TLOU2 late 2019, Ghost early 2020, and Death Stranding after that, barring any delays.
  • No PS5 versions are decided at the moment. Focus is on delivering the PS4 versions. Discussions about how to proceed with hypothetical PS5 versions - if you launch a significantly upgraded PS5 game for retail/digital in year 1, then letting PS4 owners pay a small upgrade fee since the PS4 disc is usable and playable on PS5 anyway seems to be favored route. Alternatively, you just play the normal PS4 disc on the PS5.

• Square Enix will be at reveal event with Luminous Production new IP (RPG) and Final Fantasy 16.
  • FF16 was originally planned as a current gen title but due to the screw up with FF7 Remake which delayed it from the planned release of 2018, it was moved to next gen.
  • FF7 Remake is not a PS5 release. Current gen only and no plans for a PS5 version right now.
  • LP is also making a FF15 PS5 Edition for launch.
  • DQXI with added content will be on PS5.
  • Capcom, Warner Bros, and Rockstar (RDR2 next gen) will be at the reveal event.

Those are the only things confirmed for now as planning is underway.
Considering they name Gran Turismo as a year one title, I'd call this one 'hard to believe'.

Gran Turismo is known for pushing technology but it's not known for being 'to market' in reasonable time. Having a Gran Turismo made available as soon as possible makes sense because it'll showcase PlayStation 5 but I can't see it happening...unless what this leak actually means is a 'slice' of the full game, a bit of a taster with all the technology in place.

Navi will be more efficient, giving more graphical power for the same number of watts. But Vega will apparently continue as AMD's flagship gaming card, with Navi launching as a medium tier. (I don't know specifically why that is, but multiple sources say so.) Microsoft want to be undisputed performance leader, so that might make Vega attractive to them. Also, Vega features effectual FP64 calculation, which is rare for gaming but useful for machine learning AI and other advanced tasks. And Microsoft have officially said they want to use the same hardware in the next Xbox and their gaming servers.

It's important to note that this imagined scenario where Sony use Navi and Microsoft use Vega wouldn't have an inevitable winner. It could go all sorts of ways. Maybe Microsoft does get the highest TF card, and their Xbox One X experience lets them cool it effectively without much extra cost. There's rumors that Navi isn't as effective or power-thrifty as meant to be, and maybe PS5 could end up needing extra cooling redesign and downclocks at the last minute, which make it just as expensive as Xbox but notably less powerful.

Or, maybe Vega has higher TF but a lack of efficiency, and the usage of chip space for new server-specific features makes the next Xbox less performant than expected. Meanwhile, a careful Navi design with smartly customized gaming-relevant features allows PS5 to produce graphics basically indistinguishable from Anaconda, but at a much lower price.

In other words, neither choice is necessarily bad. Both have potential drawbacks, but both also have potential advantages for what the different platforms hope to accomplish. And no matter what they design for, some tech bets simply don't pan out.
Another 'Thanks' for the explanation.

A simply clean overview of what the differences could be.

Silenti

May 29, 2018
I dont have it on me right now but its basically a memory setup of 8gb of hbm and 16gb of ddr4, 4gb of the ddr4 is used for the OS. The remaining memory is shared between the CPU and GPU and with the use of HBCC it appears to the devs as 20gb of memory. There are a couple of advantages to this, the first is that the ps4 had the issue where the CPU took a disproportionate chunk of the bandwidth, and this split memory setup. Second the HBM will use significantly less TDP than what a GDDR6 would, meaning you can push higher GPU clock speed. Another point is the HBM prices are expected to go down faster than GDDR6 so it would be more cost efficient in the future.

Wouldn't this leak and the specific RAM leak conflict with each other? This leak says 4GB reserved for OS. The remaining 20 seen as a single pool for game use. But there was another leak that was broken down to mean that the SSD tables would be stored in main memory rather than using an expensive existing NVME controller? Which alone would take up 3 GB at a minimum. I may be getting the specific leaks confused.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't the devkit leak on reddit correlate with the one in 4chan?

Reddit:
  • monolithic die ~22.4mm by ~14.1mm
  • 16 Samsung K4ZAF325BM-HC18 in clamshell configuration
  • memory vrm seems like overkill with multiple Fairchild/ON Semiconductor FDMF3170 power stages controlled by an MP2888 from MPS
  • 3 Samsung K4AAG085WB-MCRC, 2 of those close to the NAND acting as DRAM cache (unusual 2GB DRAM per 1 TB NAND)
  • 4 NAND packages soldered to the PCB which are TH58LJT2T24BAEG from Toshiba
  • PS5016-E16 from Phison

4chan:
Hmm, noticed on the Beyond3D forums that there's a newer 4Chan "leak" about the PS5 devkit. Anyone care to give it a quick look to see if it's even remotely plausible?

Big PC towers.
Pretty loud, fans seem to be running at max rpm all the time. Bug?
GPU dump has memory at 18432mb, bandwidth 733GB/s, core clock at 1850mhz.
CPU shows up as Zen 7. According to docs only the GPU on the SOC is being used in this iteration of the devkit.
64GB of system ram.
4TB SSD

Source

Yeah, dunno what to make of that "Zen 7" bit, it seems to be the most glaring oddity

16GB GDDR6 RAM + 2GB DDR4 (the other 4GB is used as DRAM cache)

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
If the guys answer positively. It will not be estimation but some realworld value...
It would be nice if he can check GDDR6 vs the same setup GDRR5 with the same clock speed. I have a pretty shitty motherboard and no diagnostic tools but I do have a 2080RTX so if you know of any way for me to check the isolated power draw of the memory alone then I can do that.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
With that new thread about SSD, I wondered, what does Sony want to make with their ultra reduced load times, it's something which works with every device with a SSD or it's something achievable thanks to their custom SSD/architecture ?

Deleted member 56784

Banned
May 16, 2019
Random question: Does the superfast SSD solution have any impact on the perception of speed in an new gran turismo, like seen in the spiderman demo? Or is this something which is determined by other factors. Framerate, graphic effects, general speed of cars?
I mean Gran Turismo 7 with 4k/60fps RT reflections and a new kind of speed perception thanks to the ssd would be a killer showcase.
And what would it mean in comparison to Forza if playground also need to consider a pc version? Could we see some drastic differences?

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
So 40cu x1850 = 9.47tf
where are you getting 40U from?
Random question: Does the superfast SSD solution have any impact on the perception of speed in an new gran turismo, like seen in the spiderman demo? Or is this something which is determined by other factors. Framerate, graphic effects, general speed of cars?
I mean Gran Turismo 7 with 4k/60fps RT reflections and a new kind of speed perception thanks to the ssd would be a killer showcase.
And what would it mean in comparison to Forza if playground also need to consider a pc version? Could we see some drastic differences?
Its stuff like that that represents one of the benefits to having an SSD set up like that. So yes. There is a but though, but let's just leave it as yes for simplicity sake.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Probably just way better, that's all.
Ok thanks !

I know we don't know anything yet but just for an example of what we could expect from this, if we took the example of Spider-Man :
- PS4 : 8 sec
- PS5 : 0.8 sec
- Device with a SSD natively : 3-4 sec ?

With a device including a SSD in this example, we can expect 3-4 sec load times or less than that (or more) ?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Random question: Does the superfast SSD solution have any impact on the perception of speed in an new gran turismo, like seen in the spiderman demo?

The "perception of speed" in the Spiderman demo is more about being able to load assets so fast that you can actually travel at much higher speeds, streaming new areas in, without hiccups. AFAIK, that's not how closed circuit games usually do it - they usually load entire levels to memory, what isn't possible with open world games.

That said, if GT where to implement streaming, they'd be able to have much richer, densely packed tracks, with a huge variety of assets, as they wouldn't be limited to what they can fit into the memory.

Nivek

Banned
Apr 24, 2019
For a huge
Ok thanks !

I know we don't know anything yet but just for an example of what we could expect from this, if we took the example of Spider-Man :
- PS4 : 8 sec
- PS5 : 0.8 sec
- Device with a SSD natively : 3-4 sec ?

With a device including a SSD in this example, we can expect 3-4 sec load times or less than that (or more) ?
For a 200GB PS5 open world i dont see load times greater than 5-6 seconds.
And thats to boot up the game. Fast travelling at most around 3-4 seconds, depends on how much they pushing the graphics.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
It won't help to speed cars up because GT is very realistic so cars go the speed they supposed to go, but the world can be much more detailed with next to no pop-in as long as the CPU and GPU can handle the detail.

FSavage

Oct 30, 2017
Considering they name Gran Turismo as a year one title, I'd call this one 'hard to believe'.

Gran Turismo is known for pushing technology but it's not known for being 'to market' in reasonable time. Having a Gran Turismo made available as soon as possible makes sense because it'll showcase PlayStation 5 but I can't see it happening...unless what this leak actually means is a 'slice' of the full game, a bit of a taster with all the technology in place.

A new GT for PS5 launch is like the easiest bet to make. GT Sport + all free car DLC released after GTS launch + traditional campaign and a bunch of yet to release cars = GT7.

GTS took so long to release because Polyphony took a lot of time developing a new, super scalable engine for current gen and beyond, they even made an 8K/60fps + RT demo last year for GTS to show off the new engine's flexibility and scalability. 3 years (GTS released oct 2017, PS5 will release late 2020) is more than enough time to make a ton of single player content to throw on top of the foundation made in GTS.

Edit- actually that GTS presentation was at 8K/120fps + RT... even more ridiculous.

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
No interest of HBM 2 and why people keep saying HBM2 is more interesting than GDDR6? Is the Rambus engineer nuts? For low level HBM2 they have less perfomance per watts than GDDR6.

RAMBUS works on the PHYS interfaces for memory. They know what they're talking about. The problem is that we're not comparing apples to apples, and bus width is extremely important.

I'm not trying to resolve the GDDR6 vs HBM2 war here. I'm trying to show the estimates that 384 bit GDDR6 busses eating 100W are bogus. That would mean 36% of the RTX Titan's TDP is memory!

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm having a hard time trying to understand why SSD tech is so important to Sony. Sure it will make a huge improvement in the overall user experience but, the competition will also have SSD tech for sure, even if it ends not being faster. If the Xbox takes 4 or 5 seconds more to load games/levels at the end of the day the experience will also be better for Xbox users when compared to current-gen and I think it will make little to no difference - unless ofc the SSD MS is using is trash and some games take around 10-15 seconds to load, which I highly doubt.

On the other hand GPU power could also impact the user experience and if there is a huge different between the two machines Sony will be losing in that department, at least according to MS insiders.

What do you guys think it's more important the SSD tech or GPU? The PS5 seems to be a really well balanced machine while from rumors the Xbox seems to be a monster in GPU performance but I'm not sure by how much.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I'm having a hard time trying to understand why SSD tech is so important to Sony. Sure it will make a huge improvement in the overall user experience but, the competition will also have SSD tech for sure, even if it ends not being faster. If the Xbox takes 4 or 5 seconds more to load games/levels at the end of the day the experience will also be better for Xbox users when compared to current-gen and I think it will make little to no difference - unless ofc the SSD MS is using is trash and some games take around 10-15 seconds to load, which I highly doubt.

On the other hand GPU power could also impact the user experience and if there is a huge different between the two machines Sony will be losing in that department, at least according to MS insiders.

What do you guys think it's more important the SSD tech or GPU? The PS5 seems to be a really well balanced machine while from rumors the Xbox seems to be a monster in GPU performance but I'm not sure by how much.
A big part of modern game development bottlenecks is data read speed. It's important for Sony and probably Microsoft too because developers want it. It's a big game changer as long as both have it as a baseline.

Sony made a big deal out of it because they had announced it first :)

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
RAMBUS works on the PHYS interfaces for memory. They know what they're talking about. The problem is that we're not comparing apples to apples, and bus width is extremely important.

I'm not trying to resolve the GDDR6 vs HBM2 war here. I'm trying to show the estimates that 384 bit GDDR6 busses eating 100W are bogus. That would mean 36% of the RTX Titan's TDP is memory!

When I speak about HBM2 against GDDR6, I speak about all the setup. RAM + memory controller .

I want to know how 8Gb of HBM2 + controller and 16 Gb of 3200 DDR4 + controller goes against 16 Gb GDDR6 14 Gbps 256 bits + memory controller and against 24 Gb GDDR6 14 Gbps bus 384 bits + controller. When I said 100 watts it is for the complete setup the 24 Gb of GDDR6 I use one estimation done by DrKeo

This is the only things I am interested in...

Feb 10, 2018
The PS4 actually had a weaker GPU than the 1.97TF 260X which came out 3 months before the PS4 and was 115W TDP, priced 139$ at launch. We also have to remember that this price represents a profit margin, the whole PCB and 2GB of GDDR5.

I think you are taking the NVIDIA paper a bit out of context, they are talking about GPUs with orders of magnitude the bandwidth of the next-gen consoles.
The amd 7870 came out March 2012 and cost $350, ps4 GPU was a bit weaker, it was somewhere in between a $250 7850 and the $350 7870, hence my $300 mark.
Navi is coming just a few months later then the 7870 did.
While I don't expect others to believe this, I am pretty sure the $300-350 Navi gpu will have very similar performance to the PS5's.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's one of those things I trust Cerny with. He's probably doing it because of how much it can help with first party devs, who is very much close with. NVMe SSD should have been good enough (duh)

Cerny had the PS4 have more async compute threads which he predicted would be a gamechanger for game development a few years after the console is released. He was right.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
When I speak about HBM2 against GDDR6, I speak about all the setup. RAM + memory controller .

I want to know how 8Gb of HBM2 + controller and 16 Gb of 3200 DDR4 + controller goes against 16 Gb GDDR6 14 Gbps 256 bits + memory controller and against 24 Gb GDDR6 14 Gbps bus 384 bits + controller. When I said 100 watts for one complete setup the 24 Gb of GDDR6 I use one estimation done by DrKeo

This is the only things I am interested in...
I think that direct GDDR5 vs GDDR6 power draw numbers are important too. If 24GB of GDDR6 with 652.8 GB/s does draw 15% less that the X's setup, it means that it's a pretty great setup for a next gen console considering that the CPU will have a similar size and draw.

msia2k75

Nov 1, 2017
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13832/amd-radeon-vii-high-end-7nm-february-7th-for-699

AMD are the stupidiest people in the world paid 320 dollars for HBM2 16 GBits GDDR6 with bus 256 bits or a custom bus would have done better.... Only a40 Gbit/s between the two solutions and 5 watts... So stupid...

Radeon VII is just a quick cash grab...

It's a customized Navi 10 lite. They could frankly call it anything .doesn't necessarily mean the cu count is identical

Hell we don't even know if it's PS5 related...

Feb 10, 2018
Different context. Besides the fact that this price was revealed in the wake of the $499 Xbox One (and, in a sense, the $599 PS3), not the $399 PS4, it's also during a full reveal, as opposed the the nextgen system being talked about in a very limited fashion. The PS4 price reveal taking about value makes sense in that light. What struck me about Cerny's statement is that despite being in a super-early interview where most of the details were being kept close to the chest with only very specific facts being revealed, when directly asked about the price, he chooses to focus on and promise a vaguely-defined 'advanced feature set' despite the question not even being about that. He could've just said that PlayStation would be 'continuing the value-oriented approach that was so successful for us in the current generation' (which Andrew House couldn't have said in 2013, hence my point about situational context), or something similar, but he didn't.

And remember, the interviewer immediately interpreted his statement as pointing to a higher price made up for by advanced tech, and Cerny didn't dispute that. That's hardly proof or anything, but it does bring up the question of why you think you have a better grasp of Cerny's meaning from reading a transcript than the guy who was actually speaking to him in person.

It shows however that Cernys words can mean $399.
As sony have described a console like cerny did for $399.
The context is not that different Andrew House is just explaining the price, like cerny was, house would of said those words regardless of what xbox xbox was doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.