• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn II and GTS 2/GT7 may most likely be announced. Besides that, presumably next gen "ports" current gen flagships like TLoU Pt 2 and GoT may be shown off.

I can't really think of any other games that would be up and ready for launch window Sony.

Wouldnt the whole idea be there are games... you don't actually know anything about... being announced for this?

Like for instance Japan Studio has been -really- quiet for a while now.

Knack 3

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Wouldnt the whole idea be there are games... you don't actually know anything about... being announced for this?

Like for instance Japan Studio has been -really- quiet for a while now.

Knack 3

Blesseth are those that lay their eyes upon the holiness of Knack 3.

And yea, you're right but looking at the release schedule of Sony's FP titles, unless there are internally two or teams per studio who have been working for over a couple of years now on PS5 titles, I can't fathom new games being released (aside from the ones I mentioned) at launch. Come 2021, I expect releases major releases from SSM.

Maybe Ratchet and Clank, if that's even a thing

If the scope of the resembles that of the one released for PS4, then perhaps (given Spidey launched Sep 2018 and then portion of studio was still developing DLCs). I still remember the franchise being leveraged to show off the capability of PS3 back in the day.

the cat is an insider?

Digital Foundry follows that user and so....

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
EDIT: A new detailed Navi photo became available soon after I posted this, making the measurements here obsolete. I've left them alone here, but revised versions of both images can be found in this later post by me.

Here's stuff I've been working on. The first image is a revised version of something I posted previously. New images of Navi 10, plus of Navi 14, have slightly changed the size estimates. This can serve as a guide for anyone who wants to "assemble" any arbitrary nextgen APU for fun.

The second image is my own current predictions, as well as alternate configurations, for both PS5 and XSX. Some of it may seem arbitrary, but I assure you there's some reasoning--specious as it may be--behind all of it. I hope it at least serves as a good jumping-off point.

naviblocksizes2gjb7.png

nextgenpredictbkkar.png

Even if you ignore my choices among these options, I think there's some takeaways that should apply in general:

* Bad news for Team 14TF...it's possible, but really unlikely as it'd require so many specifics.
* Even containing much the same CPU and GPU, there are still choices that could be made to differentiate the platforms
* 8 TF is still technically on the table, even if it seems very implausible to me (and many others)

Last edited:

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Talking with my friends about PS5 is just...
FamiliarEnchantedHorsechestnutleafminer-small.gif

They are convinced Sony is buying Bethesda, has either 8 or 14 TFs (schrodinger's TFs) and that everything is exclusive. I was told new Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell will be exclusives for PS5, this is what reading Twitter or reddit 24/7 does to you.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Here's stuff I've been working on. The first image is a revised version of something I posted previously. New images of Navi 10, plus of Navi 14, have slightly changed the size estimates. This can serve as a guide for anyone who wants to "assemble" any arbitrary nextgen APU for fun.

The second image is my own current predictions, as well as alternate configurations, for both PS5 and XSX. Some of it may seem arbitrary, but I assure you there's some reasoning--specious as it may be--behind all of it. I hope it at least serves as a good jumping-off point.

naviblocksizes2gjb7.png

nextgenpredictbkkar.png

Even if you ignore my choices among these options, I think there's some takeaways that should apply in general:

* Bad news for Team 14TF...it's possible, but really unlikely as it'd require so many specifics.
* Even containing much the same CPU and GPU, there are still choices that could be made to differentiate the platforms
* 8 TF is still technically on the table, even if it seems very implausible to me (and many others)
Good work!

cc: Colbert

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

naviblocksizes2gjb7.png

nextgenpredictbkkar.png

Thanks 🙏 always appreciate your well thought out and researched posts.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

They are convinced Sony is buying Bethesda, has either 8 or 14 TFs (schrodinger's TFs) and that everything is exclusive. I was told new Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell will be exclusives for PS5, this is what reading Twitter or reddit 24/7 does to you.

Prince of Persia hahaha do they know what year it is?

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point I'd be surprised if he is verified. He's already contradicting Klee with his comments that Xbox is sub 12 (Klee said it was greater than 12 actually).
He is also saying one is software RT which has been confirmed wrong by both Sony and MS who have stated Hardware RT on multiple occasions at this point.

White paper VS current dev kit though... who knows who knows which?

Dev kits for ps4 had Steamroller CPUs vs Retail Jaguars..

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

naviblocksizes2gjb7.png

nextgenpredictbkkar.png

Threadmark Mecha Meister

I think the bigger issue is that the memory bandwidth is insufficient in the 14TF case.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
White paper VS current dev kit though... who knows who knows which?

Dev kits for ps4 had Steamroller CPUs vs Retail Jaguars..

PS4 devkits never had Steamroller cores. If they did, the retail units would have. Steamroller simply wasn't ready in time to be used for PS4, hence why Sony never never went with them despite that being the original plan. So there was no way they could have appeared in PS4 devkits.

IIRC, the early PS4 devkits had 4x Bulldozer cores.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Liabe Brave Excellent work on rendering those probable scenarios.

I surmise that the 347mm2 PS5 APU rendition is still supported by 3 - SEs, albeit supporting 48CUs instead of the peak 60CUs. Given that you wrote that increasing WGPs will be detrimental to the efficiency, I take it that 3 - SEs for ~24WGP is a power/performance sweet spot.

Now, I have been told on multiple occasions here that unlike Xbox One X's dev kit which has 6.6TF power (courtesy of extra active CUs), PS4/PS4 Pro's dev kits are computationally same as retail units. Now, if that practice remains true for PS5 as well, then your estimation with blue outline may very well be on the money with less than 5% margin of error.

You, stop that. It's-dead-jim-it's-dead.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

naviblocksizes2gjb7.png

nextgenpredictbkkar.png

This is what awesomeness look like people.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Brilliant. Unlike the Drunk Cat itself, which seems to be slurring purrs again. The only way we get a release date and price at the reveal is if it happens in May or later - and I think Sony will opt for a slow, progressive reveal instead.
To me, it depends on what they think they are going to be best at. If they know they aren't going to compete on performance, you might get the lower price out there early for the positive buzz. If you come out first with worse performance and don't give a price... yikes. If you come out with price and talk up SSD and other features without going to specific on performance, you still come out of that event in a positive light.

I think it depends if Sony is going to have a comparable performative box on what they will reveal. We'll have a much clearer picture of who is going to come out on top, regardless, imo, given what I've said above.

If they granna name the price they better show speccs to so they can justify it.
Or, they give the price specifically because of the specs. The only way I see them giving us a price is if the box is not as powerful and the price is $400, undercutting the XSX.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ya I have to pretend to be dumb talking games to with coworkers. The shit they come up with is ridiculous.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
I really don't think the Sony reveal is going to be in February. I think they would have announced it when they announced they weren't going to E3. It must be further out and note entirely locked down at this point. With them not going to E3, they have unlimited options. If I were them, I'd opt for a multi-day PSX in early July with a State of Plays to begin each day and a series of interviews and gameplay demos, but that seems very unlikely. We'll probably get a traditional Playstation Meeting in May and a couple State of Plays to iron out the details as we approach the console's launch and show off some games.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
I surmise that the 347mm2 PS5 APU rendition is still supported by 3 - SEs, albeit supporting 48CUs instead of the peak 60CUs. Given that you wrote that increasing WGPs will be detrimental to the efficiency, I take it that 3 - SEs for ~24WGP is a power/performance sweet spot.
No, both flavors of PS5 and the "max Navi" version of XSX are only 2 SEs each. The PS5 prediction layout is over 10 WGPs per SE, which is why it also says "efficiency may be reduced". The biggest XSX variant has 16 WGPs per SE, which is why it says "at low efficiency". That is, its TF rating might be overstating how powerful it is in real application.

Of course, there are ways to mitigate this by increasing cache sizes, etc., as seen in the Navi 5500 variant. If there's enough demand maybe I'll throw together another XSX variant showing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.