• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
Of course take all of these rumors with a grain of salt, but the talk about Sony reworking the PS5 is at least somewhat interesting given what appears to be what could be considered a large number of steppings for the possible PS5 chips in other leaks. We don't know what that really means anyway at this point in terms of the retail PS5.

This is whats interesting. IF Sony is reworking the PS5 to increase its power level, which is what I personally think is the case as I stated here, then how can these early claims of PS5 having more power than the XSX, or even an equal level of power be at all correct. Going back to Jan last year the Reddit leak showing a 12 tflops Ananconda was correct as it was mirrored by Windows Central and Phil's claim of twice the power levels of the X. So to me the early claims by people saying PS5 is more power just isn't plausible at that stage.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
This is whats interesting. IF Sony is reworking the PS5 to increase its power level, which is what I personally think is the case as I stated here, then how can these early claims of PS5 having more power than the XSX, or even an equal level of power be at all correct. Going back to Jan last year the Reddit leak showing a 12 tflops Ananconda was correct as it was mirrored by Windows Central and Phil's claim of twice the power levels of the X. So to me the early claims by people saying PS5 is more power just isn't plausible at that stage.
Nowhere does it say it was reworked to increase power. Could be any number of things.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017

I assume the decision to rework the PS5 was years ago when the decided to delay the PS5 from 2019 to 2020. That decision could have been decided back in 2017 or something.

Jun 23, 2019
I just had a shower thought. What if everything we saw from GitHub up until this point was Sony's version of a Lockhart? That's why the specs didn't match Klee's spec sheet and all the insiders said they heard higher. Everyone knows the PS5 Pro specs, but Sony's been testing the lower version and seeing if it could run BC.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I just had a shower thought. What if everything we saw from GitHub up until this point was Sony's version of a Lockhart? That's why the specs didn't match Klee's spec sheet and all the insiders said they heard higher. Everyone knows the PS5 Pro specs, but Sony's been testing the lower version and seeing if it could run BC.
The PS5 Pro rumor is much less corroborated. Either Github is the PS5, or it's an old version.

Matt came out and said that that info was outdated. I trust him more than anyone at this point.

Jan 20, 2019

Because they didnt rework the console in 6 months, ot most likely started in 2018 since the delayed the console in 2017.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't the more likely case, we have no idea and everything is going according to plan?

Also, maybe AMD hit a milestone and new stuff was on offer instead and Sony went sure, that's better and again all is fine.

Munki

Apr 30, 2019
Isn't the more likely case, we have no idea and everything is going according to plan?

Also, maybe AMD hit a milestone and new stuff was on offer instead and Sony went sure, that's better and again all is fine.
If that was the case, the "new stuff" would also be available to MS wouldn't it?

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I just called Jim through my banana phone.
Unfortunately PS5 has been cancelled for the Sony Vision car.

Screen-Shot-2020-01-06-at-5.28.28-PM.png

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If that was the case, the "new stuff" would also be available to MS wouldn't it?

Yeah but Microsoft may have been aiming for that stuff from the start whereas Sony were looking at earlier stuff. All depending what the design goals, price and timing of launch were. Must be quite fluid to a point and a gamble.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020

Doesn't seem hugely likely that two console manufacturers are working on two SKUs each and only one out of the four doesn't leak in some way, shape or form.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020

my theory is that PS5 GPU is a chiplet and the test so far are just stress tests on a single chiplet. my theory is the final PS5 could have 2 chiplets.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
When it became clear that there was a 2019 plan and that got shelved, and the noise about two consoles from MS, my immediate feeling was that the switch was to go 2-pronged as well. But there's been no noise about it, so I'm not convinced at this stage.

I'm not deeply technical, but I would assume that it would be difficult to pull of an 'it just works' scenario for developers. By which I mean if all devs know is the PS5 Pro (and therefore insiders telling us XSX and PS5 are close in power etc), you'd think devs would need to know about the 'low powered' Github version and make their game accordingly.

The only way that surely would come to pass would be if 'it just works', and the scaling is handled automatically. But I can't see that being a thing - therefore I don't see 2 PS5 consoles.

Jan 20, 2019

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
The timelines kind of makes sense and the last part about the claims isn't quite correct from what I remember. First time we saw this information was in January sure. Cerny revealed in April PS5 that also described a low speced dev kit tower and also confirmed HW accelerated RT which the leak was uncertain about. We only started hearing rumors about PS5 around June when Reiner mentioned it. Klee came after around August and we know between the time April - October, dev kits changed given we see a different dev kit than what was described by Cerny in April.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tinfoil hat time! The V shaped dev kits were the new "reworked" PS5 that most here are now believing to be more powerful than the Oberon we know of from Github.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
You're only starting to realize that now? This thread has been a source of entertainment for me for months now because it really shows we know almost nothing besides official info
LOL yep

I can't even begin to come up with a solid PS5 prediction at this point since rumors have contradicted each other so much. I think it's also why people are so antsy for that reveal. We have a good idea of what MS is doing with their platform goals and games, even have a reliable spec leak. With PS5 it feels like it could end up anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.