• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I assume the decision to rework the PS5 was years ago when the decided to delay the PS5 from 2019 to 2020. That decision could have been decided back in 2017 or something.
Bingo. They said the game is being revealed soon and that it was initially delayed, so any changes were done some time ago by implication.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
LOL yep

I can't even begin to come up with a solid PS5 prediction at this point since rumors have contradicted each other so much. I think it's also why people are so antsy for that reveal. We have a good idea of what MS is doing with their platform goals and games, even have a reliable spec leak. With PS5 it feels like it could end up anywhere.
Which is why I want the full specs. I don't need to see games. Just give me the hard facts, cause I can't take this insane rollercoaster of unpredictability much longer.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which is why I want the full specs. I don't need to see games. Just give me the hard facts, cause I can't take this insane rollercoaster of unpredictability much longer.
Here's a thought and I don't mean it as a personal insult but really something to get your mind off this. Find what's important in your life and cherish it, spend time with it/them. At the end of the day, what's inside a damn piece of plastic isn't going to dictate your life

Justsomeguy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
A 4K machine probably does, but it's hard to estimate now that they have an SSD. It's an uncharted territory.

In theory, it would explain a lot. It would explain why there are both Ariel and Oberon, why the Flute and Github leaks contradict the insiders and why we've heard about both 12GB and 16GB. So if there was a 9.2Ghz PS5 and a 12TF+ PS5 that will be very interesting. Thing is, both the Github leak and the Flute leak implies 16GB, so it still doesn't add up, even if there were 2 SKUs.
that would be pointless. Everyone says 9.2tf and 12tf are exactly the same and an unnoticeable difference.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's not a V shape. it's a pyramid shape. it's the Patriots. they have taken over Sony and they are reworking everything.
Goddamn it, I knew Kojima was behind the PS5 development somehow. Watch as Death Stranding 2 is the only game to achieve The Lion King 2019 graphics while every other game looks like Finding Nemo because Kojima is the only one who can use the secret sauce

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
On giantbombs latest demo derby there's a bit they are watching sims 2 PSP videos and Brad sarcastically jokes "just think soon you can play this on a ps5"

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
My favourite part of today's development; well, whole month's actually; PS5 is back to 8TF but still costs $499, but somehow Lockheart is 7TF and still remains at $299. It's just magic...love it all.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Random neutral post comprising of creation leveraging 8C/8T 1.6Ghz Jaguar and 1.84T GCN 1.0 Radeon GPU equivalent to something between Radeon 7850 and 7870, to cool our antsy jets down:

Y113y1l.jpg

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Thank you.... Couple of things first....Was Shawn Layden really presenting e3 2014? I forgot.

Second, that was at the very beginning when the hardcore buy those systems. So of course 95% would be connected. Also don't forget the staggered release of PS4. I wonder what the number is now at when the price conscience consumer is included.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
my theory is that PS5 GPU is a chiplet and the test so far are just stress tests on a single chiplet. my theory is the final PS5 could have 2 chiplets.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the reason chiplets work in CPUs is that the cache is there to alleviate some of the latency issues caused by the multi chip design. With GPU chiplets, how would that work? We've got several years of multi GPU systems showing the inefficiencies of such design. This sounds like it would be a nightmare for devs.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the texture filtering and draw distances were better, this game would easily pass off as an early PS5 game. PC version, save us!

Oh, ambient occlusion also felt somewhat lacking. HBAO+, where art thou?
even if the PS5's RT support is lacking, things like AO and shadows should be more than doable

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
even if the PS5's RT support is lacking, things like AO and shadows should be more than doable

I'm personally hoping for ray traced global illumination, but even if PS5 lacks the capabilities to pull it off, I'd be satisfied with ray traced shadows and ambient occlusion. Would go a long way in making a scene look more grounded and physically accurate.

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
I assume the decision to rework the PS5 was years ago when the decided to delay the PS5 from 2019 to 2020. That decision could have been decided back in 2017 or something.
6 months ago AMD was still testing the 36CU PS5 chip. If it had of reworked it to a 52CU or similar GGPUthey wouldnt be messing around with the old defunct chip. Sonys silence, to me, points towards them not ready to announce the specs as they are still working on the final clocks etc. Like I said before, I think they got caught out spec wise and have been spending alot of time trying to up the specs via clock increases. I think the may run with the full 40CU at this point, run the clocks to 2ghz, and take the L on cost with binning more dies that don't have full working CUs.
So I expect to see a 40 CU GPU running to as close to 2ghz as they can get it. A 10tflop machine.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I'm personally hoping for ray traced global illumination, but even if PS5 lacks the capabilities to pull it off, I'd be satisfied with ray traced shadows and ambient occlusion. Would go a long way in making a scene look more grounded and physically accurate.
I think RT shadows and AO combined with something like SVOGI would be appropriate for a console power envelope and would look really good.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I'm confused, when did we go from 9.2TF to 8TF?
8TF is the part of the 9.2TF rumor that gets swept under the rug.

The thing is for the 9,2TF rumor to exist, you have to clock a 36CU GPU at 2Ghz. Problem with that is that clocking a GPU that high would reduce your yields as most of your chips can't be locked at that clock as would typically be the case in consoles (making your chips more expensive) and the cooling solution you would need for that would also cost more.

Basically, if we are to take that leak seriously, then that must be the dev kit, and the console would be clocked at around 1.8Ghz, so you end up around 8.4TF.

Now the real crazy thing about that is that for that to happen(the 9.2TF thing), it would probably end up costing more building a console like that out than just putting in a bigger chip and using standard cooling.

But there is at least a silver lining, this could just mean Sony is aiming for a $399 box, or that for some reason sony lacks the funds to get a bigger chip instead. See? it makes sense in the end.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GI is gonna be one of those things that might be too much for console hardware, although companies already have tricks up their sleeve, like Control's solution, or Unity's

Jan 20, 2019
6 months ago AMD was still testing the 36CU PS5 chip. If it had of reworked it to a 52CU or similar GGPUthey wouldnt be messing around with the old defunct chip. Sonys silence, to me, points towards them not ready to announce the specs as they are still working on the final clocks etc. Like I said before, I think they got caught out spec wise and have been spending alot of time trying to up the specs via clock increases. I think the may run with the full 40CU at this point, run the clocks to 2ghz, and take the L on cost with binning more dies that don't have full working CUs.
So I expect to see a 40 CU GPU running to as close to 2ghz as they can get it. A 10tflop machine.

No, im prety sure it is cheaper in the long run to build a new gpu that to go for hail marie atemp like that.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
No, im prety sure it is cheaper in the long run to build a new gpu that to go for hail marie atemp like that.
maybe Albert Penello would be able to at least shed some knowledge on this hypothetical. which would be less expensive?

Swadedtx

Banned
Dec 21, 2019
Easy.. GDC is a developer conference and the PS5 is a consumer product. Devs already know everything they need to know about it barring some surprises (such as Cerny's late announcement of extra RAM back in PS4 days). Need more to completely demolish your point?
We only have 2 weeks to find out whose right and whose wrong. Invitations would be released by now if it's early Feb.

Deleted member 10747

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow....what did i step into... So much pessimism without practically knowing anything.....

It's time for some of you to go outside and see some sunshine

Last edited:

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
When MS was working on Scorpio, they had a 2016 version and a 2017 version. They ended up going for the 2017 in the end for the extra power. I would imagine Sony did the same for the PS5, have a 2019 plan and a 2020 plan, look at the what level of power and jump each console would provide and eventually decide.

Swadedtx

Banned
Dec 21, 2019
The beauty of competition is that Microsoft is doing the pressure.

What pressure??? All MS did was post a vid of their console giving people answers to their console and gave free promo to Sony. Now everyone is asking questions on a daily basis about the PS Xbox is mentioned to be skeptical about the PS's power but Sony is the mysterious one. I hear more speculations on PS games and dont hear crud about MS.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
GI is gonna be one of those things that might be too much for console hardware, although companies already have tricks up their sleeve, like Control's solution, or Unity's

"Brute forces" GI, probably not. But a mixed of improvement on low level hardware API, software optimisation and tricks, will allow GI at some point throught console lifetime. And of course first party games.
Shadows are a minimum and just that will be such an improvement over this gen.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
Am I the only one who thinks that MS supporting their old consoles for a year or two after launching XSX makes the launch of Lockhart unlikely in 2020?

Like, they already have cheaper alternatives on the market

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who thinks that MS supporting their old consoles for a year or two after launching XSX makes the launch of Lockhart unlikely in 2020?

Lockhart is for people who don't want to spend so much, but also want to keep getting games after the first couple of years. it's the futureproof option

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019

That's a very good question.

The more I think about it the more I hate their strategy of all first party games being cross gen. The expensive Series X and affordable Series S concept is great, but it's completely upended by the continued support of the XB1 consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.