• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
China has historically been a huge market for PC, not really consoles.

Which, with Sony allegedly bringing more of their FP games to PC actually makes me wonder whether their intent there is to try and push to increase the popularity of their FP gaming IP in territories like China; in a bid to try and deepen the Playstation business's overall penetration into the Chinese market.

It's worth keeping in mind that Sony's also making inroads with Chinese devs to bring their games to their platform.The Chinajoy event was a nice start, and I expect that to continue to grow going forward. It might not happen anytime soon, but sometime next gen I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony either open a studio in China or acquire a dev over there if that market starts to take to their product.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Correction for you. The memory controllers that you show and give size for is actually 64 bit. (2 x 32)
Though I show a pair, the size given is for a single 32-bit PHY and relevant portion of the memory controller. (That is, the pair shown is 18 mm^2.) It's why the text says "...pairs (shown above)". But I see it'd be clearer to just show the unit the size is for. I'll make the revision tomorrow.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Am I wrong to not want bluepoints "remake" to be demon's souls? Like we have so many games like that already and with BC we can still play the more recent iterations of such games.

Is it wrong for me to wish for a PS5 Bluepoint Remake of Vanquish instead?

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Am I wrong to not want bluepoints "remake" to be demon's souls? Like we have so many games like that already and with BC we can still play the more recent iterations of such games.

I'd rather they tackle KZ2. That game could benefit a lot from PS5.
Demon's Souls I know is a fan favorite and they can capitalize on the Soulsborne sales, but I personally probably won't get it.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

What about the theory that it's a re-envisioning of MGS1?

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
It's worth keeping in mind that Sony's also making inroads with Chinese devs to bring their games to their platform.The Chinajoy event was a nice start, and I expect that to continue to grow going forward. It might not happen anytime soon, but sometime next gen I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony either open a studio in China or acquire a dev over there if that market starts to take to their product.

Welp whether they succeed or not is not up to Sony, China is different.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Welp whether they succeed or not is not up to Sony, China is different.

Yup, we'll see how that plays out.

Regardless, the PS5 being available in China from the very start will be another factor in why I strongly believe Sony will aim to have more units available in the first year than the PS4.

I'd like to think they're going to begin manufacturing earlier in the year to stockpile more units for the launch in an attempt to be less supply constrained, but I don't think there's any way to prevent it. In an ideal world we won't have videos of people trampling one another to try and grab a PS5 at launch and there would be enough units to go around. Unfortunately I think that'll happen anyways.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What about the theory that it's a re-envisioning of MGS1?
II saw OsirisBlack on the other place mention Konami vs Capcom and asked "whose games do you prefer more?" or something... that could mean anything honestly, but it brought back the whole MGS 1 remake stuff to mind.

At this point, anything is possible. It wouldnt even surprise me if Sony buys the Metal Gear I.P (allowing Konami to still make their pachinko machines) I dont know what Konami can do with Metal Gear i.p outside of that.

Frankly.. I dont know how much Demon Souls can be reimagined that much, we did see what Deep Down was supposed to look like, I imagine they could re-imagine it that way, but I remember that one poster saying with surety it was a reboot of MGS...

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

No, they should remake Jak & Daxter TPL instead.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather they tackle KZ2. That game could benefit a lot from PS5.
Demon's Souls I know is a fan favorite and they can capitalize on the Soulsborne sales, but I personally probably won't get it.
Well, imagine if it's a soft reboot of the Killzone franchise. That'd be a Day 1 from me. I love Killzone as a whole, but Shadowfall lost the plot. The franchise needs a reboot because it's been written against the wall at this point.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sony on some Nintendo levels of secrecy.
we laughed at them during the PS3 gen on how everything leaked (some PS3 E3s)

we laughed and laughed
giphy.gif

Sony changed after that, ever since the PS4 meeting

it's our fault

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Been thinking about Sony and their hundreds of fan-centric events this year...

Personally I think the way this will go down is the PS Meeting in Feb and a month of PlayStation Experience in June or July kickstarted by a massive stage show like they would normally do at E3. For that month there will be hundreds of manned kiosks for the PS5 setup around the world where people can go in and get a bit of hands-on time with a DS5 and a few minutes to try one of several games. It's not unlike what they did with the PSVR where you could go into a store and had a few minutes to experience it.

I imagine a kiosk booth with 4 PS5's and 4 displays setup in a square pattern so 4 people could try it out at a time. The employees working the booth are there to also clean the hardware after each use. You also get to put on a pair of headphones to experience the 3D sound as you play.

I think what they did with the PSVR was perfect and was just a prelude to what they could potentially do with the PS5.

EDIT.

This will be extremely useful for anyone who's on the fence and asking themselves whether they should stay with their current system or make the jump to next gen. They'll get to experience the haptics and resistive triggers of the DS5, they'll get to experience the 3D audio, they'l get to experience the FAR faster loading times, better graphics and overall more impressive games that next gen can provide. Give that to them in a 5 minute experience and that'll help them make up their mind.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019
I just said it in another thread, but I hope Sony comes out with enough exclusives to make jumping over make sense. I don't want to drop $5-600 on a new system to play updated PS4 games unless the jump is so mind boggling, you have to get it.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
My thinking is that they're going to be firing on all cylinders with the first years lineup. Between Horizon, Spider-Man and God of War I'm certain we'll get sequels to 2 of those before January 2022 and they'll be PS5 exclusive. Each of those sold well above 10 million units so anyone who wants to play the sequel has to make the leap to next gen. Beyond just that I'm anticipating a FAR stronger first year library than the PS4 ever had full of new and old IP, and that's just the exclusive stuff. Toss in the third party content and indie stuff and I think it'll be a very enticing package.

I also strongly believe once they show off just how much of an improvement the gaming experience is with the FAR faster speeds of the SSD that a lot of people will look at their current consoles and say fuckit, they want that new shit.

One other massive factor that wasn't around when the PS4 launched was China. The PS4 didn't launch in China until 2015, and the PS5 in going to be able to launch there day 1. That's another huge market that could bump their overall sales number up even higher.

Agreed, especially on the first-party thing. The last big AAA PS4 game announcement was over two years ago, which makes me think Sony at some point decided that they would kick off next-gen development earlier (and maybe even move some unannounced PS4 games to PS5 only). They want PS5 to hit the ground running.

It's not "wrong", but it's as close as you can get.😁

Seriously though - Vanquish still looks and plays great and can be played on PC at 4k and 120fps (maybe not at the same time, admittedly). Demon's Souls is a great game that's not really available anymore, stuck on the PS3 at 30fps and with a core multiplayer aspect that's no longer functional, and could absolutely benefit a lot from such a huge visual and performance update. Also I think it's more unique than you're giving it credit for (it's quite different to the following Souls games in a few aspects that make it a lot of people's favourite instalment to this day), and it deserves more widespread recognition for inventing the Soulslike genre.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I just said it in another thread, but I hope Sony comes out with enough exclusives to make jumping over make sense. I don't want to drop $5-600 on a new system to play updated PS4 games unless the jump is so mind boggling, you have to get it.

I can't wait to see what the jump to PS5 will be like for PSVR owners! I have to think the PS5 has enough raw power to output every single current PSVR game at full resolution 120 FPS. It'll be a great taste of what's to come with PSVR2

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Imagine a RE2 level of remake for both Dino Crisis and Onimusha. At launch

I believe.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure a foreign company is allowed to own a video game studio in China.

Hmm, yeah that could throw a wrench into that idea. I wonder if they could establish a company in China that's its own entity. At the very least I could see them contracting more Chinese devs to make games for the PS platform.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Hmm, yeah that could throw a wrench into that idea. I wonder if they could establish a company in China that's its own entity. At the very least I could see them contracting more Chinese devs to make games for the PS platform.

Foreign companies can co-own Chinese companies, in more of a joint venture arrangement.

So I could see Sony buying a <=50% stake in a Chinese games studio.

Realistically, it's more likely they'll just sign publishing contracts with fully Chinese independent dev houses.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
At this point I honestly wish neither Sony or Microsoft talked about their consoles at all. The wait is infuriating. For some reason I can't stop thinking about it. I just want it to end.

The info was hype at the time, but now it's just brutal :(

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I know people are thinking Tuesday for an invite for some reason - but 2013 invite was sent in a Thursday (31) for the event on the 20th. So 20 days in advance. Not that it is 'tradition' but I'd they use the same measure then invites for the 12th would go out this Thursday

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I know people are thinking Tuesday for an invite for some reason - but 2013 invite was sent in a Thursday (31) for the event on the 20th. So 20 days in advance. Not that it is 'tradition' but I'd they use the same measure then invites for the 12th would go out this Thursday
I doubt they even think about it much. They're probably just like: "Is this day far enough in advance to send invites out?"

They're not like: "We should send them out on the same day of the week as last time!" or "It must be 20 days beforehand!"

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Foreign companies can co-own Chinese companies, in more of a joint venture arrangement.

So I could see Sony buying a <=50% stake in a Chinese games studio.

Realistically, it's more likely they'll just sign publishing contracts with fully Chinese independent dev houses.

I do wonder if Sony will try to partner more with Tencent going forward or try to do their own thing. Maybe both so they can make bigger inroads but not be reliant on Tencent?

BTW, anyone have any figures on PS4 console sales figures in China since 2015? I don't imagine it's making huge splashes but still curious to see where it's at.

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
Yup, we'll see how that plays out.

Regardless, the PS5 being available in China from the very start will be another factor in why I strongly believe Sony will aim to have more units available in the first year than the PS4.

I'd like to think they're going to begin manufacturing earlier in the year to stockpile more units for the launch in an attempt to be less supply constrained, but I don't think there's any way to prevent it. In an ideal world we won't have videos of people trampling one another to try and grab a PS5 at launch and there would be enough units to go around. Unfortunately I think that'll happen anyways.

Here consoles sold officially are all partially region locked, some can't read international discs, some can't access foreign store or login foreign PSN/Xbox Live/Nintendo account, and are usually priced higher than in anywhere else. Unless someone is clueless, they'll pick up a contraband unit, it'll be cheaper and more capable.

So no, it doesn't really matter whether it's available officially from the get go.

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
New OT, and it was so close to have my suggested titled, maybe next time :D

I've got one question for Liabe Brave and his predictions on the next console chips, I thought Scarlett's chip was supposed to have 56 CUs, not 54? Maybe 56 is for the Devkit and the final product was downsized to 54?

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Here consoles sold officially are all partially region locked, some can't read international discs, some can't access foreign store or login foreign PSN/Xbox Live/Nintendo account, and are usually priced higher than in anywhere else. Unless someone is clueless, they'll pick up a contraband unit, it'll be cheaper and more capable.

So no, it doesn't really matter whether it's available officially from the get go.

Interesting, thanks for the info. Do you see those restrictions changing anytime soon or is that pretty much how it's going to be for the foreseeable future?

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
Interesting, thanks for the info. Do you see those restrictions changing anytime soon or is that pretty much how it's going to be for the foreseeable future?

Unfortunately I don't see it lifting anytime soon, and why that is will be in the realm of politics. Generally speaking, video games and consoles are product of culture, and the government enjoys imposing control over anything cultural.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Going back to some of the really early rumors, they mentioned the DS5 will have a camera on it. We haven't heard much on that in the more recent rumors and the devkit controllers don't seem to have a camera. Do y'all think a camera is still coming on the controller? If so, what do you think its various uses will be?

Unfortunately I don't see it lifting anytime soon, and why that is will be in the realm of politics. Generally speaking, video games and consoles are product of culture, and the government enjoys imposing control over anything cultural.

Ahh, understood. Thank you for your insights :)

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Well, imagine if it's a soft reboot of the Killzone franchise. That'd be a Day 1 from me. I love Killzone as a whole, but Shadowfall lost the plot. The franchise needs a reboot because it's been written against the wall at this point.
I agree, but the reboot should be done by GG. Bluepoint is for remasters/remakes until they get the skill set for making proper A/AAA titles.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

Agreed. Well said.

A KZ soft reboot, with Campaign and MP closer to KZ2, would be my dream FPS for PS5.

I fucking loved KZ2. Was the first competitive MP FPS game to ever hold my attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.