• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you think the PS5 reveal will take place?

• January

Votes: 6 0.3%
  • February

Votes: 1,172 65.7%
  • March

Votes: 273 15.3%
  • April

Votes: 81 4.5%
  • May

Votes: 116 6.5%
  • June

Votes: 48 2.7%
  • Later

Votes: 89 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Lol, no man. The Github leak is absolutely nothing to Sony as far as it being something they would be forced to respond to. Now if Jim Ryan ran around town with no pants on and the PS5 specs tattooed to his asscheeks, that they'd have to respond to. The Github leak has done nothing more than put MORE attention on the PS5, which is exactly what they want. More people are talking about it
Matt didn't want people to look at the GitHub as 100% what the final hardware is, not that it "isn't relavant to final hardware". It's a piece of the puzzle and not the entire picture, it was lacking some context but is still a partial snapshot of where things were at last June (which is the same time or after many "insiders" info is from).

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
Matt didn't want people to look at the GitHub as 100% what the final hardware is, not that it "isn't relavant to final hardware". It's a piece of the puzzle and not the entire picture, it was lacking some context but is still a partial snapshot of where things were at last June (which is the same time or after many "insiders" info is from).
You honestly don't know if its a piece of sony's puzzle tho, your just assuming

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
You've worked in some of these companies in what capacity?

In what way is the 'narrative' getting away from Sony?

Why are you not bothering to engage with anyone's actual points being raised about Sony's general approach to PR?

Speaking as someone who worked in marketing for several of the worlds largest companies, and who has extensive experience in liaising with their PR companies, while there will have been emails and probably a meeting to discuss the github leaks, knowing Sony's approach to their PR - which is 'we talk when we want to talk, we don't respond to rumours' - their silence over this is entirely what I would expect, and says nothing about the validity of the Github in any way, shape or form.

Also - I would take issue with your claim that product releases require an iron fist on controlling narrative. That may have been true prior to the rise of social media, but these days its a largely impossible dream, especially in the pre-reveal phase where we are now.

Sony's real crisis will be losing control of the narrative after they've done the full announcement/reveal etc the way it did MS after TVTVTV, because MS didn't just have to roll back their messaging, they had to rework the console OS.
I'm not sure when you were in marketing last, but I can tell you what we did to control the narrative on it. We employed companies that specialized in putting information and feedback that we isolated as preferable. These companies had thousands of Twitter, FB and Instagram profiles controlled by them. They could start what ever they wanted to trend. They could give your company thousands of positive FB reviews for a fee.
People have no idea the lengths that companies go to.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Haha, we shall see. I'm not bothered if the PS5 is a 64 CU, 15tflop beast. Not going to hurt me personally. But this is a speculation thread, and we all have ideas about what the system may or may not be. My speculation is based on what I see as the best evidence. Nothing more, nothing less. And if I'm wrong, shit I'm wrong. Life will go on, and I wont lose an second of sleep. But, if the PS5 isn't the 13tflop machine that people like Klee promised you it was...well I think hours of sleep will be lost, but not by me lol.
You reeeeeeeeally want the PS5 to be weaker than the XSX, dang lol

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
Not trying to start any rum...Well.

Could this be why Shawn Layden is in the "witness protection program" and Shuhei Yoshida is chasing indie developers in their Mom's basement?

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
Man, less than a week registered and you know about klee, etc...
I have been reading Era for years. I followed it and I know what was going on well before I registered. It not often new consoles come out, and the speculation is fun. The reveals are fun, and the meltdowns are even funnier.
Thought I might join in.

Pantato

Nov 5, 2019
It's incredible how tight the Sony ship has become after Jim Ryan took over. I barely knew his face when he was in charge of Playstation Europe (even his name is so generic) and yet he managed to make it the most successful market for PS, despite being arguably the most difficult. Ryan is working from the shadows and probably has an army of ninjas under his command :)
Seriously, the reason for the lack of PS5 leaks is probably due to the restructurating of the company, they are less likely to happen with a centralized leadership, as opposed to 3 in the past.

ForgedByGeeks

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Woodinville, WA
I wish they released a special edition. Is it better than the DS4?

It was better than any of the Dual-Shocks for me. Felt about on part with 360, but a very different hand feel. I really appreciated that my pinky fingers were not hanging off the bottom of the handles and could really grip as well.

Only issue I remember was the cheap plastic feel, but all DS controllers till the 4 had that feel to me.

I would say the boomerang was better than DS4 overall, but I would prefer the DS4 anyways due to the plastic material change on the grips.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha, we shall see. I'm not bothered if the PS5 is a 64 CU, 15tflop beast. Not going to hurt me personally. But this is a speculation thread, and we all have ideas about what the system may or may not be. My speculation is based on what I see as the best evidence. Nothing more, nothing less. And if I'm wrong, shit I'm wrong. Life will go on, and I wont lose an second of sleep. But, if the PS5 isn't the 13tflop machine that people like Klee promised you it was...well I think hours of sleep will be lost, but not by me lol.
Ehm perhaps it's better to make a point without lying and twisting words............
This thread is a mess. What are we even talking about anymore?
SeX.....See below.
It was better than any of the Dual-Shocks for me. Felt about on part with 360, but a very different hand feel. I really appreciated that my pinky fingers were not hanging off the bottom of the handles and could really grip as well.

Only issue I remember was the cheap plastic feel, but all DS controllers till the 4 had that feel to me.

I would say the boomerang was better than DS4 overall, but I would prefer the DS4 anyways due to the plastic material change on the grips.
That sounds so awesome.... So only the build quality needed to be changed. Why, oh why did they not release one......

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
Lol, no man. The Github leak is absolutely nothing to Sony as far as it being something they would be forced to respond to. Now if Jim Ryan ran around town with no pants on and the PS5 specs tattooed to his asscheeks, that they'd have to respond to. The Github leak has done nothing more than put MORE attention on the PS5, which is exactly what they want. More people are talking about it
Sure. And Intel just love all these articles that come out about how AMD has stolen their wind and is putting out better products at a better price. I mean, it's giving Intel attention. I see what you mean.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Fuck off with this bullshit lying.

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018

hehe i do understand you want the ps5 to be weaker than xbox SX , it is ok.

From your replies and non stop downplay shows even superior SSD speed will make you go sleepless for days.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Yup there are any number of explanations, I posted one just a little earlier. I'm still waiting for someone to explain why the Github device couldn't have just been a separate 5700 and ZEN 2 chip using AMDs Smartshift tech to mimic an APU. We know early low speed devkits that look like silver PC towers existed and were in use in April 2019, meaning it was almost certainly designed in 2018 because we know the V shaped devkits went out around GDC. It makes sense that early 5700 and ZEN 2 hardware might have been the most powerful hardware available for AMD to stuff in a box back in 2018

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One would hope this whole "delay" thing can be put to bed. Both Sony and Microsoft are always looking at each year and seeing what can they design and be released in said year. They will weigh the cost to make and if it is significant improvement to warrant going through with. They most likely also looked at 2018 and 2017 years before it came to launch a successor.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
You are certainly speculating about what matt said but the rest didn't seem to be speculation but instead you saying that the github leaks was an accurate picture of where sony was at in june, if not then i apologize
It seems like the best indication of where testing was for the potentially 3 next gen consoles as of that time, without full context and missing some pieces such as where sony's RT'ing solution is.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
It seems like the best indication of where testing was for the potentially 3 next gen consoles as of that time, without full context and missing some pieces such as where sony's RT'ing solution is.
My point is that you saying its connected to sony is speculation that is all, we have no evidence that links then besides what people assume based on the data set

褲蓋Calo

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 1, 2020
Shenzhen, China
What if Oberon is a separated APU Sony included in the PS5 for backward compatibility reason? They did just that with the fat PS3 by including full PS2 hardware (EE+GS). This also explains why the GitHub leak contains no ray tracing test because PS4 and Pro didn't have it.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if Oberon is a separated APU Sony included in the PS5 for backward compatibility reason? They did just that with the fat PS3 by including full PS2 hardware (EE+GS). This also explains why the GitHub leak contains no ray tracing test because PS4 and Pro didn't have it.
That would make for one very expensive console.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

That'd be an unnecessary cost that would drive up the BOM when they don't need it to provide PS4 BC on PS5.

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
You reeeeeeeeally want the PS5 to be weaker than the XSX, dang lol
Not at all. I hope both are pretty much the same. If they were both exactly the same CPU speeds, and identical tflops, then that would be A OK.
If the AMD benchmarks showed PS5 had a 64CU GPU clocked at 1.8ghz, and the XSX as a 44CU GPU at 1.5ghz, I would be here saying that I think the PS5 will be more powerful.
Why would I say that I think one will be stronger than the other if I didn't think so? My opinion, no matter how many times I say it, wont change what either company will put out. All it would do is give everyone the ability to say I was wrong.
I'm not sure why people get so worked up over someones opinion of what specs a console will be.
I read other people's post where they think the PS5 will have a 13.5 tflops GPU. I really couldn't be assed to post a reply telling them that they are wrong.

Pantato

Nov 5, 2019
Sure. And Intel just love all these articles that come out about how AMD has stolen their wind and is putting out better products at a better price. I mean, it's giving Intel attention. I see what you mean.
You don't make any sense.
Intel now has an inferior product than AMD and they feel threatened. They reply by providing biased benchmark in their favor.
Sony has a less powerful box than their competitor according to some rumors. Sony doesn't reply.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA

This would make Sony the laughing stock of the computing industry, if they can't get BC working when moving from AMD X86 to AMD X86 and AMD GPU to AMD GPU.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
It's incredible how tight the Sony ship has become after Jim Ryan took over. I barely knew his face when he was in charge of Playstation Europe (even his name is so generic) and yet he managed to make it the most successful market for PS, despite being arguably the most difficult. Ryan is working from the shadows and probably has an army of ninjas under his command :)
Seriously, the reason for the lack of PS5 leaks is probably due to the restructurating of the company, they are less likely to happen with a centralized leadership, as opposed to 3 in the past.

Sony has been very unpredictable under Jim Ryan, and I kinda love it lol.

Let's just hope the cards they've been holding make the wait worthwhile.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
I'm not sure when you were in marketing last, but I can tell you what we did to control the narrative on it. We employed companies that specialized in putting information and feedback that we isolated as preferable. These companies had thousands of Twitter, FB and Instagram profiles controlled by them. They could start what ever they wanted to trend. They could give your company thousands of positive FB reviews for a fee.
People have no idea the lengths that companies go to.

Employing community astroturfers & botnets isn't exactly new or original, and you still haven't answered why Sony would suddenly deviate from their established PR model of only speaking when they choose to.

Companies do things differently, and your extrapolation that the Github leak is most likely true bc Sony haven't responded to it has no basis whatsoever.

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling / Antagonizing other members over a series of posts
Employing community astroturfers & botnets isn't exactly new or original, and you still haven't answered why Sony would suddenly deviate from their established PR model of only speaking when they choose to.

Companies do things differently, and your extrapolation that the Github leak is most likely true bc Sony haven't responded to it has no basis whatsoever.
Do you have a copy of Sony's PR model? You sound as if you know what it is as a fact?
I would be interested in reading it.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
How long do you consider launch window? They may have XSX exclusives out by Sept or Oct of 2021. I honestly don't think anyone will remember this whole "controversy" by the end of next gen. It all adds up to "what if Ryse and Infamous SS had also had last gen ports??", i.e. meaningless.
I consider launch window the first 6 months.

If you see how some insiders get treated. Would you really want to leak some things and get chased around and get vitriol your way? Of course not. It's not worth it and in time these companies will release information. Why do you think Matt, Jason keep as far away from it? Because people are childish as fuck!
Its sad but we've got to do without insiders...
Or, making claims about specs this close to their official reveal is a dangerous game to play when you can quickly be proven wrong.

Albert Penello

Verified
Nov 2, 2017
Redmond, WA
Could you answer this for me.
When you were working on the one X, and it was 12 months before release, if Bill Gates walked in and said " Hey guys, I want you to wack on 4 more compute units", just how much time and cost are we talking about to just chuck on some more Cu's? Would you have plenty of time to make the launch date? What sort of things would you need to crash test the GPU for by adding said Cu's?
Thanks muchly.

It would be impossible. You'd either delay the program, try and see what you could get done within the chip you had (enable redundant CU's or upclock) or ship what you have.

I'm not a silicon engineer. Someone who is may be able to speak in more depth. My experience would say that "adding CU's" to a chip that doesn't have them is no longer that chip, it's a new program.

What I can tell you is that 12 months before release, you're actually manufacturing consoles. Not final consoles, but you have production lines going and are manufacturing units for validation and testing.

Phil tweeted in December that the team had takeome units. Those are pre-production units but "pre-production" is still made on a production line. It may not be using all the final parts, but the process is designed to work out manufacturing kinks.

To ship for the end of the year, manufacturing is likely starting in late summer which at this point is only 4 - 5 months away.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I consider launch window the first 6 months.

Or, making claims about specs this close to their official reveal is a dangerous game to play when you can quickly be proven wrong.
We all know about your issues with Klee. So stop pretending. Second was he wrong or do we still need to wait and see? Or you just mad because he said something......

UnsungKing

Dec 31, 2019
Where are all these fanboys leaking from? Both sides are awful in here. Everyone needs to chill on which piece of plastic they prefer.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
We all know about your issues with Klee. So stop pretending.
What am I pretending? I think I made my point very clear.

Saying this console is more powerful than this console in mid 2019 is one thing. If you're wrong it's just "well, plans change".

Saying this console is more powerful than this console, and then being confirmed wrong weeks later. You look like a fool.

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
It would be impossible. You'd either delay the program, try and see what you could get done within the chip you had (enable redundant CU's or upclock) or ship what you have.

I'm not a silicon engineer. Someone who is may be able to speak in more depth. My experience would say that "adding CU's" to a chip that doesn't have them is no longer that chip, it's a new program.

What I can tell you is that 12 months before release, you're actually manufacturing consoles. Not final consoles, but you have production lines going and are manufacturing units for validation and testing.

Phil tweeted in December that the team had takeome units. Those are pre-production units but "pre-production" is still made on a production line. It may not be using all the final parts, but the process is designed to work out manufacturing kinks.

To ship for the end of the year, manufacturing is likely starting in late summer which at this point is only 4 - 5 months away.
Many thanks for that. Wow, that's actually tighter than I thought it would be. Very informative.

Status
Not open for further replies.