• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't [Mark Cerny] come up with checker-boarded 4K?
No. The first studio to implement CBR was Ubisoft Montreal, for Rainbow 6 Siege. It was inspired by Guerrilla's TIR from Killzone: Shadowfall. Which was in turn an extension of previous accumulation techniques for things like shadows, etc.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is it too early to nominate "throwing dog shit on screen and telling us it's chocolate" for the next thread title?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Yes, but not confirmed whether HW or SW RT.

Not including a HW RT (especially after both using the same techs: NAVI, Zen 2 , SSD, 8K support, 120 FPS etc..) will be more surprising than including it.

I am curious as to why Sony and MS are quiet on the RT stuff. Maybe as a favor to AMD so they can sell some 5000 series cards?

We have a wise man here.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
They keep GCN around because they think of it as an ISA, not as an architecture (or not only an architecture).

That being said, console GPUs bring future GPU features forward all the time. This would be no different.
They bring something small normally, HW RT will take an extra 10% die space & raise the costs, it's not something they can just add.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Anandtech's Editor in chief Ryan Smith on B3D just answered this:

"Is RDNA 2 the arc that will be featured in consoles?"

"My understanding (emphasis on that term) is that the consoles are Navi + some custom extras. Mainly, the RT hardware. I do not know if it'll be the same RT hardware as in RDNA 2. AMD doesn't talk about future products and they definitely don't talk about customers' semi-custom silicon."

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
That "The Most Powerfull Console Ever" talk from Microsoft really fucked with the conversations about console hardwares. Any news suggesting that something better might appear on a non-Microsoft console seems to create a new reality where that simply could't happen.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Sure there would, especially if they knew that the competition was going to make a big deal about Ray tracing.
Read below.

"My understanding (emphasis on that term) is that the consoles are Navi + some custom extras. Mainly, the RT hardware. I do not know if it'll be the same RT hardware as in RDNA 2. AMD doesn't talk about future products and they definitely don't talk about customers' semi-custom silicon."

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Maybe, maybe not. Seems odd that they wouldn't have specified that in the wired article though.

They didn't give specifics because it is not final yet. HW RT is not something you can add later on, it has to be planned. Obviously there is something up as to why either hasn't committed if its SW or HW based. Much different than something like SSD in-house tech which both of them have allegedly figured out.

I expect neither to budge when it comes to CPU/GPU specs until early 2020 so debate on this thread will be rather thin on facts.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Look. The PS5 will have HW RT by 99.999999999%. We are just having an infertile discussion for nothing due to unnecessary FUD. I just left you an infinitesimal percentage of uncertainty.
And you came to this percentage based on?
They didn't give specifics because it is not final yet. HW RT is not something you can add later on, it has to be planned. Obviously there is something up as to why either hasn't committed if its SW or HW based. Much different than something like SSD in-house tech which both of them have allegedly figured out.

I expect neither to budge when it comes to CPU/GPU specs until early 2020 so debate on this thread will be rather thin on facts.
MS confirmed HW accelerated Ray Tracing though.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I am curious as to why Sony and MS are quiet on the RT stuff. Maybe as a favor to AMD so they can sell some 5000 series cards?
I don't think Ms is that quiet, they said that they will have next gen raytracing (the wording picked my eye, but after today, perhaps they were alluding to next gen RDNA), in real time because it's hardware accelerated, and then showed a demo that was pretty much a ray tracing showcase.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Direct link to this conversation please?

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
And you came to this percentage based on?

MS confirmed HW accelerated Ray Tracing though.

I must've missed it, in that scenario there's absolutely no reason to believe that Sony are going to ship PS5 with a GPU which won't provide HW RT. Unless, you're trying to insinuate that it's really difficult to achieve and MS engineers have it figured out and Sonys' haven't?

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Maybe calling it brute force was wrong in hindsight lol..... I get what you are saying and you are right.

The basis of my point, however, is that essential RAM hierarchy aside any modern game today is storing a chunk of non-essential data in RAM. Maybe non-essential is not the right term, so I guess we can just call it not immediately needed but "may be needed soon" data. Having a fast SSD is not to replace RAM, its to negate the need to store that non-essential data in RAM. Needing more RAM was necessary because as games get bigger and their asset pool gets bigger, that non-essential cache gets bigger too. So much so that it's better to store as much of it in RAM as possible than try stream it in.

Having a very fast SSD circumvents the need to have a lot of RAM basically. To a point. Having a fast SSD doesn't mean they can make do with only 8GB. Bt more like it means they can make do with 16GB where they may have needed 24GB. Case in point, you will probably notice that once these next gen consoles come along, minimum RAM requirements will go through the roof on PC games, especially if you intend on not using an NVMe SSD.
I 100% agree that SSD saves on RAM, but an SSD is more like a modifier for the RAM. If developers would be able to get 64GB of RAM, they would love it. So yeah, with an SSD 16GB will act closer to 24GB but it doesn't mean that 16GB is "enough". It's never enough and we are not even close to being at the "enough" point. The more the merrier and an SSD is an awesome way to save on RAM and make whatever the given amount of RAM next gen will have to "act bigger" :)

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
By user ToTTenTranz:
"Ryan's piece on Navi cards:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14528/amd-announces-radeon-rx-5700-xt-rx-5700-series

Turns out it's 251mm^2. The packaging might be adding a couple of mm in each direction."

Thanks.

Now this is the first time I heard there is a game clock for a GPU. Is this just a RDNA feature? It seems the Tflop count is calculated based on the highest boost clock speed. Why can't get games get access to boost clock speeds and stop at this game clock speed?

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Yes, but I don't see where people are upset.

In comments below that:

"Wow... these are some terrible numbers for 7nm. It's a good thing Nvidia likes its high margin business and both Sony and MS want backwards compatibility.

Severely disappointed in AMD is an understatement. They had all the opportunity in the world with Turing offering so little in terms of price vs performance and performance per mm. And this is all they deliver?"

"By far my biggest disappointment is price a 250mm die with 8gb memory , last time AMD had one of those it sold for $240 USD."

These are mostly price/performance complaints i guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if PS5 is 12.9 teraflops Navi without HW RT.
But Anaconda is ~10 teraflops Navi with HW RT.

The battles would be biblical.

Given Sony have explicitly mentioned it - I doubt it's the software only RT devs are already able to do, and has been used in a handful of titles this gen.

Hardware Accelerated Ray Tracing is not a fixed/defined thing though. It's entirely possible and likely that AMDs implementation will differ from nVidia's. And it's also possible that MS and Sony have each implemented their own HW system/s to accelerate Ray Tracing functions completely separate to AMDs planned implementation.

We may end up comparing HW Ray Tracing implementations/results in next gen. I think Digital Foundry is gonna be busy.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Now this is the first time I heard there is a game clock for a GPU. Is this just a RDNA feature? It seems the Tflop count is calculated based on the highest boost clock speed. Why can't get games get access to boost clock speeds and stop at this game clock speed?
AMD's "boost clock" is maximum achievable clock, NV's "boost clock" is typical gaming clock. AMD's "gaming clock" = NV's "boost clock". They are just somewhat bridging the terminology here and manage our expectations as thinking that 5700 will run at its rated boost clock is unrealistic.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Thanks.

Game clock="typical clocks" when gaming. Base clocks are basically "stress test, heavy load" clocks. GPU is under a lot more stress when running benchmarks than when you're gaming. And boost clock is max "short burst" achievable clocks.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
"Game clock" is just the usual clock you'll get when playing, which is why it's between base and max boost clock. It's like listing average fps alongside min or max.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
AMD's "boost clock" is maximum achievable clock, NV's "boost clock" is typical gaming clock. AMD's "gaming clock" = NV's "boost clock". They are just somewhat bridging the terminology here and manage our expectations as thinking that 5700 will run at its rated boost clock is unrealistic.

Game clock="typical clocks" when gaming. Base clocks are basically "stress test, heavy load" clocks. GPU is under a lot more stress when running benchmarks than when you're gaming. And boost clock is max "short burst" achievable clocks.

"Game clock" is just the usual clock you'll get when playing, which is why it's between base and max boost clock. It's like listing average fps alongside min or max.

Thanks for the explanations.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
In comments below that:

"Wow... these are some terrible numbers for 7nm. It's a good thing Nvidia likes its high margin business and both Sony and MS want backwards compatibility.

Severely disappointed in AMD is an understatement. They had all the opportunity in the world with Turing offering so little in terms of price vs performance and performance per mm. And this is all they deliver?"

"By far my biggest disappointment is price a 250mm die with 8gb memory , last time AMD had one of those it sold for $240 USD."

These are mostly price/performance complaints i guess.
I think people are reasonably upset about the cost, but that's how this market works.

For those worried about VRS, MS has a patent on it from 2016 with their lead GPU architect on it. I would bet Scarlett has it.

Status
Not open for further replies.