• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
User banned (4 days): mod-whining + doubling down on warned behaviour over a series of posts in the thread.
lol I actually got a warning for calling out fake insiders. Okay then, tell me how that makes sense, Morrigan

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
The only ones who know what's in the PS5 is Sony and AMD, just like how the only ones that knows what's in Scarlett is MS and AMD. Beyond alpha dev kits that's floating around that doesn't indicate final hardware, the only way to know what's in both the PS5 and Scarlett is to get Lisa Su to tell you. Even the AMD teams working on Scarlett and the PS5 are likely well separated to prevent leaks.
Agreed. Even if he knows some stuff, he likely doesn't know what their ultimate target is and vice versa, just like he's saying.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
lol I actually got a warning for calling out fake insiders. Okay then, tell me how that makes sense, moderators.
I think it is more how you did it. You can question someones legitimacy but you still gotta keep it respectful.

"I don't think "insert user" should be considered a trusted insider. The information provided by this person has not aligned with the new info we have now at all."

vs

"Go sit yo astroturfing ass down somewhere"

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
As i said before i think hmqgg has MS info .
When it comes to Sony take what he says with a grain of salt , same thing with his opinion on what they doing .

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
I think it is more how you did it. You can question someones legitimacy but you still gotta keep it respectful.

"I don't think "insert user" should be considered a trusted insider. The information provided by this person has not aligned with the new info we have now at all."

vs

"Go sit yo astroturfing ass down somewhere"

Considering that user injected pages upon pages of discussion and debate with false information, I don't see what there is to respect.

That person literally came here, made false claims about something he later admitted he has no knowledge about just to make a Microsoft product look and seem superior, for whatever reason. I can't respect that.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Ok so based on what info we've learned today, here's what i think the current roadmap for Xbox Scarlett is.

- More info at X019, don't know what else they can say about the hardware to reveal unless they're finally ready to give us that long waited teraflop number, so my guess is that We'll get at least 10 mins of Halo: Infinite footage running directly on the Scarlett in 4K @ 60fps and a ton of RT features and advanced physics and AI being shown in the demo

- Further talk about the specs of the Scarlett along with a few more gameplay demo's shown at a MS panel at GDC 2020 and a bunch of their 1st party and 3rd party studios showing what their new game engines can do on the Scarlett.

- Full price and launch reveal and the name reveal at E3 2020 similar to what happened to the Xbox One at E3 2013 (but better obviously) and 2 hours of their entire Scarlett 1st and 3rd part games portfolio for the next few years.

- Final discussions about Scarlett at Gamescom 2020 and more plans of when they're release the scarlett in the rest of the European market.

- Maybe even a presence at TGS 2020 to further attempt to penetrate the Japanese games market with Xbox, something that Xbox has struggled to do since the OG Xbox.

- And finally, the Scarlett will launch the same day as X020 in November in a giant global fan event celebrating the launch of the Scarlett.

Do you guys think that this is a realistic roadmap that MS might be doing?

Phil did say on the Giant Bomb show that unlike previous generations he and MS are going to be more open about their plans on Next Gen.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
40X over HDD is possible with Virtual Ram?

Yes before ram cache :

After RAM cache same HDD:

SOurce : https://www.overclock.net/forum/320...using-your-extra-ram-cache-your-ssd-hdds.html

Conclusion : when Microsoft said 40x faster. They don't tell you it's 40x faster for loading screen. But it 40x faster in benchmark. That's all...

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hmqgg did provide Zhuge with some information behind closed doors that seemed to be satisfactory proof that he does have some inside connection. Right?

Apparently he has inside info on MS stuff. I'm not even debating/arguing that, but making false claims about the competition. that smells a bit like astroturfing to me.

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
Oh man, it's so hard to keep up with this thread during E3 AND AMD's full Navi reveal :)

I'm not sure if it was brought up, but I'm pretty sure both Flight Simulator and Halo Infinite used ray tracing in their trailers.
* A very noisy reflection on a curvy surface:
WYt2kkO.jpg

I'm seriously impressed by the lighting in that Flight Sim trailer and my first thought was "is that RT"? Though I would've expected MS to mention it if it was.

It might be worth mentioning that distinctively noisy reflections aren't exclusive to RT; check out the SSR in Resident Evil II on the Xbox One OG/S, PS4 & PS4 Pro..

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Let's speculate on the 2019 Jaguar based PS5 🤔

-3.0Ghz Jaguar CPU?
-Downclocked version of the Radeon VII with less CUs?
-12-16GB GDDR6? 8GB HBM2?
-1TB SSD?

This part is completely false because when talking to some friends it was implied that jaguars were disspaointing even to Sony. They were expecting much more out of it

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of which does anyone know if either the Xbox One or the PS4 before launch has any sort of presence at GDC 2013 or the Xbox One at TGS?

PS4 was publicly announced before GDC 2013, so yes it had a big presence at the following GDC a month later. That's when most devs started receiving dev kits I think.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hmqgg did provide Zhuge with some information behind closed doors that seemed to be satisfactory proof that he does have some inside connection. Right?

This is what ZhugeEX posted recently:

Just to clarify. hmqgg was only verified for having access to Microsoft's GDC plans prior to the event and nothing else.

It's best to assume everything they post is based on that info or speculation. If they want to verify they have access to other information they can PM me.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018

For ms stuff, as far as I know, but not Sony stuff. I mean...to play with fire here...it may have been the same day or day after the wired interview and all the hubub of the ssd that he came in and said Sony is using GPU compression that Ms is also

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
This is what ZhugeEX posted recently:

Boy, context really is king, isn't it? I knew about only being verified about ms but no idea about the time sensitive nature of what he knew. Someone mentioned it earlier, but his info may actually be out of date, and with how fast things move that could be quite a bit out of date

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Is the ps5 being developed in North America or Japan? The ps4 team physically working on things was actually in Japan as far as I recall.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Very Interesting. Basically Phil now say that he can't affirm that scarlett wil be the best console over there because he don't have ps5 dev kit. One of the main Focuses however will be on power.
Most importantly he says they focus on what will be a transformative experience. X1X being able to reach 4K30 in a lot of games was that threshold. I'm curious what their magic threshold is this time.

Is the ps5 being developed in North America or Japan? The ps4 team physically working on things was actually in Japan as far as I recall.

I think they're primarily in Japan. They proudly touted the enclosure as being developed by a Japanese employee, and their mechanical enclosure/heatsink patents are all pretty much Japanese in origin. I'd say they probably have a limited set of electronics engineers in the US to engage with AMD.

The_hypocrite

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Flyover State
One of my favorite talking points was about MS trillion dollars market cap. How can Phil not deliver to them the strongest console ever with access to the unlimited 💰 that MS has?

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Ok so based on what info we've learned today, here's what i think the current roadmap for Xbox Scarlett is.

- More info at X019, don't know what else they can say about the hardware to reveal unless they're finally ready to give us that long waited teraflop number, so my guess is that We'll get at least 10 mins of Halo: Infinite footage running directly on the Scarlett in 4K @ 60fps and a ton of RT features and advanced physics and AI being shown in the demo

- Further talk about the specs of the Scarlett along with a few more gameplay demo's shown at a MS panel at GDC 2020 and a bunch of their 1st party and 3rd party studios showing what their new game engines can do on the Scarlett.

- Full price and launch reveal and the name reveal at E3 2020 similar to what happened to the Xbox One at E3 2013 (but better obviously) and 2 hours of their entire Scarlett 1st and 3rd part games portfolio for the next few years.

- Final discussions about Scarlett at Gamescom 2020 and more plans of when they're release the scarlett in the rest of the European market.

- Maybe even a presence at TGS 2020 to further attempt to penetrate the Japanese games market with Xbox, something that Xbox has struggled to do since the OG Xbox.

- And finally, the Scarlett will launch the same day as X020 in November in a giant global fan event celebrating the launch of the Scarlett.

Do you guys think that this is a realistic roadmap that MS might be doing?

Phil did say on the Giant Bomb show that unlike previous generations he and MS are going to be more open about their plans on Next Gen.

One more thing that i'd like to add.

MS originally announced the Xbox One name at the reveal event before E3 2013, so say that they follow suit with the Scarlett, when would they most likely reveal the name of the Scarlett? During X019 with the fans? during GDC 2020 with the devs? Or go Scorpio style and announce it at E3?

Also if MS does give more Scarlett info at X019 in November, they could essentially be taking some of the limelight from Sony potentially talking more of the PS5 during PSX 2019 to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the Playstation brand, kind of ironic given that Sony talked next gen first in the Wired article 2 months before E3.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes before ram cache :

After RAM cache same HDD:

SOurce : https://www.overclock.net/forum/320...using-your-extra-ram-cache-your-ssd-hdds.html

Conclusion : when Microsoft said 40x faster. They don't tell you it's 40x faster for loading screen. But it 40x faster in benchmark. That's all...

You have it backwards. They are not using RAM as hard drive space like a RAMdisk, MS said they are using hard drive space as virtual RAM. Irrespective of that, the 40x improvement is just a straight description of the delta between a 100MB/s typical speed for current console hard drives and an nvme SSD that provides 4,000MB/s.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Most importantly he says they focus on what will be a transformative experience. X1X being able to reach 4K30 in a lot of games was that threshold. I'm curious what their magic threshold is this time.

Going by everything MS has been doing since the XB1X and Phil's statements in the past 12 months, it looks they're really shooting for 4K 60fps titles across the board (1st party-wise).

I think Gears 5 is 4K 60fps on the XB1X, and going forward I don't see that changing on Scarlett.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
There are some things that people maybe think about that ought not be posted.

1. Why would people think that Microsoft would have such a low opinion on Sony that they would think that they would go once again with Jaguar? Off all the CPU's out there, including the first generation Zen cards, ignore all of those and again go with Jaguar.

2. Why would anyone in their right mind think that Phil Spencer or anyone else from Microsoft or Sony would go out there and say ''yes, we know what Sony/Microsoft is doing.'' That would lead to questions about how they know all of this seeing as Matt has stated that nothing is locked i.e. AMD leaking stuff.

3. Why would anyone think that Microsoft was leaking fake Sony stuff? Some people in this thread, especially some that posted on how Microsoft could use Vega and call it Navi, or would go Vega because of compute have their minds once again on overdrive, and not in a good way.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
I watched some of it and I think Phil said some stuff isn't settled yet. I really think with a release date 17 months away that some of the specs aren't even nailed yet. Sure, they have an idea but still room for changes and nothing final.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Zen 2 is such a huge upgrade that I hope we see the industry as a whole move to 60fps tbh. Sure, we'll still get 30fps from the likes of Rockstar etc. but I'm hoping we see A LOT more 60fps titles next gen than we did this gen, especially from developers who don't have the budget or manpower to push the CPU for simulation.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering that user injected pages upon pages of discussion and debate with false information, I don't see what there is to respect.

That person literally came here, made false claims about something he later admitted he has no knowledge about just to make a Microsoft product look and seem superior, for whatever reason. I can't respect that.
if you've got an issue with a user being an astroturfer you can take it up with the mods privately. surely, accusing them like that is not a good look for anyone. especially without proof.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando

That puts him in the laughable column. But IMO no need to accuse him of astroturfing.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018

No idea, had it in the background and was watching it live sometime after it started. I can be wrong but I think he said something to that effect. When he was describing the specs, the potential names, around there, he said there is some stuff they don't even know yet. He said the first thing they do is determine the silicone because that can't change. He said factors like tariffs, pricing, etc. come into play, conversation continued, and he said they don't know some stuff and confirmed there working with AMD just like Sony is.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
We got a lot of good information today about MS plans for the Scarlett, didn't know Giant bomb were that good, lol.

Well were 5 months till the X019 where well get some more info after E3, hopefully some next gen gameplay.

Oct 25, 2017
Ether Vs Rubbing Alcohol.
Precisely.

Zen 2 is such a huge upgrade that I hope we see the industry as a whole move to 60fps tbh. Sure, we'll still get 30fps from the likes of Rockstar etc. but I'm hoping we see A LOT more 60fps titles next gen than we did this gen, especially from developers who don't have the budget or manpower to push the CPU for simulation.
I think we will definitely see a good percentage bump compared to this gen. I still think we will see more go for the graphical "wow!" factor more than not though. That will always sell games better than framerates.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
We got a lot of good information today about MS plans for the Scarlett, didn't know Giant bomb were that good, lol.

Well were 5 months till the X019 where well get some more info after E3, hopefully some next gen gameplay.

If X019 is anything like X018 then lol, don't expect much.

Microsoft always saves their big guns for E3.

E3 2020 will be huge, it's the big next-gen showcase to get early adopters on board. A lot's at stake.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
You'll see plenty of 4K/60, a lot of it especially in the early crossgen days but it will fade out as we get deeper into the cycle. Look at the amount of people calling the Halo Infinite video unimpressive if you don't believe me. There's a price to pay for that.

There are some things that people maybe think about that ought not be posted.

1. Why would people think that Microsoft would have such a low opinion on Sony that they would think that they would go once again with Jaguar? Off all the CPU's out there, including the first generation Zen cards, ignore all of those and again go with Jaguar.

Only thing I'll say on this is that if Leadbetter heard it, it must have been making it's way around the industry. The dude isn't out there sourcing rumors from likes of reddit and pastebin like our esteemed users here.

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
Cerny and Co. putting a Jaguar in the PS5..??! It goes against his entire ethos as to what constitutes a generational leap (see his PS4 Pro / Digital Foundry interview).

And it makes zero sense when Zen exists.

I flat out don't buy it. xD

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
I hear ya. But we won't. Everything of worth will hit that 30fps mark with huge iq pushed to the limits. Just like every gen ;)

That's what I expect anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.