• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
All I'm saying Colbert is that his leak might be the most credible one we've had so far.

Besides, have you noticed that Jez, klobrille, hmgqqg, etc. Haven't said any thing to refute it.

What leak? Andrew's tweet simply said that's what he's heard and on that very tweet he said things could change. He then followed it up with another tweet that clarified they said "more flops" and "what a weird thing to say". And again said things could change. But why keep saying things could change? Maybe because he knows they're comparing Sony's kits which are apparently further along than MS kits?

Jan 20, 2019
What leak? Andrew's tweet simply said that's what he's heard and on that very tweet he said things could change. He then followed it up with another tweet that clarified they said "more flops" and "what a weird thing to say". And again said things could change. But why keep saying things could change? Maybe because he knows they're comparing Sony's kits which are apparently further along than MS kits?

There is no such thing as further along, both dev kits already have the specs lock, they are not gonna release a stronger dev kit by the end of the year, that does not happen.

The final specs is a different story.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
PS3 Nov2006 - Dec 2007 = 10.5M ($600 console)

PS4 Nov 2013 - Jan 2015 = 18M ($400 console)

It's a safe bet to say the PS5 at $499 will fall somewhere in the middle in the same time frame. So Around 14M.

Other things to consider, price isn't the only reason the PS3 didn't sell well. The people buying in the first 12 months are the least to be affected by price. Even the XB1 that didn't do too well at launched at $500, was just at around under 1M in sales behind the PS4. That $399 price point isn't all that its made out to be.

Neither console will be above $499.

Thing is the consoles can still be $400 if they willing to eat a larger lost .
Truth is Sony is in very good position to eat a larger lost compare to last gen .
Coming into this gen they had way to many companies worrying consoles were going to die.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So you heard that too. Fuck, if I just could remember where I read or heard it. Okay, as long I don't remember I see it as a rumor as all the other things around here. I know it was not Pastebin or reddit as I did not visit those sites for two weeks or so.
Heard what? He's literally saying "I think", didn't the hm dude also say kits went out after GDC?

Oct 25, 2017
So you heard that too. Fuck, if I just could remember where I read or heard it. Okay, as long I don't remember I see it as a rumor as all the other things around here. I know it was not Pastebin or reddit as I did not visit those sites for two weeks or so.
If that was the case then you wouldn't have people comparing specs beetween devkits and rumors of PS5 being more powerful at E3.

Based on Greenberg statement...
The first wave seems to be on XGS first.
Even so, those Devkits probably are Preview Version.
Can be a PC with Zen and Vega with the TF target.

Could HW RT not be a custom mod from Microsoft on RDNA 1?

Yes. But i doubt it.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
sure. but i dont think anyone thinks they are making a $399 console anymore. i thought we were past that?

Honestly Sony can go for a 399$ and get it's money back from games/Plus if they wish too.

Despite that I still believe 499$ makes more sense and it's realistic regarding Cerny's Wired comments towards pricing.. either that or 449$

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

About the dev kit only just starting to go out? I posted the other day about Aaron Greenberg telling Geoff Keighley that they were trying to get the kits out ASAP (or words to that effect). Is this what you might be thinking of?

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Based on Greenberg statement...
The first wave seems to be on XGS first.
Even so, those Devkits probably are Preview Version.
Can be a PC with Zen and Vega with the TF target.
About the dev kit only just starting to go out? I posted the other day about Aaron Greenberg telling Geoff Keighley that they were trying to get the kits out ASAP (or words to that effect). Is this what you might be thinking of?
It seems it is. Thx.

Oct 25, 2017
Or simply RDNA 1 + custom RT. Or RDNA 1 + just RT from RDNA 2, same as PS4 Pro had a pair of features from the upcoming Vega.

Yes, but...

"Custom Processor co-engineered between our team and the Microsoft team, with one goal in mind, to deliver the ultimate gaming experience. It uses our Zen 2 CPU Core and next generation Radeon RDNA gaming graphics architecture."
- Lisa Su

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Ayy lol lmao rofl

I'm just saying, you party pooper. The way the Microsoft representative wanted to talk about something but couldn't, and the eay Lisa kept saying "we can't talk about that right now".

Hehe, yeah I saw that. Just wasn't sure how that equaled Navi 20 :)

RDNA 1.0 = No Raytracing
RDNA 2.0 = Raytracing?
Scarlett = Raytracing HW!

If Navi 20 is supposed to be the "high end" of the lineup I'd imagine it's more realistic to think Scarlett would be borrowing some of its tech like RT than actually being Nav20, if only due to the likely price.

Rizla+

Jun 11, 2019
Based on your link , plus recent statements on ps5 dev kits from others, seems that sony have an advantage over Microsoft in this field.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Yes, but...

"Custom Processor co-engineered between our team and the Microsoft team, with one goal in mind, to deliver the ultimate gaming experience. It uses our Zen 2 CPU Core and next generation Radeon RDNA gaming graphics architecture."
- Lisa Su

That says the exact same thing. She's referring to Navi.

Oct 25, 2017

He said, "we'll see" and "what happens in the end." There's nothing in his tweets indicating that different stages of dev kits are being compared or that he's covering for that sort of eventuality.

He's merely pointing out that the dev kits aren't the final product.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
looking at that raytracing roadmap AMD shared at e3, I don't think anyone is borrowing AMD's non existent Raytracing implemntation. They got nothing and their approach is dismissive, they want to leave it to the clouds! At best you will get some raytraced effects from AMD like shadows or reflections, the type of effects that even Pascal cards can produce playable framerates with. That makes me think that if there is any proper hardware acceleration already implemented for these consoles, it is based on the IP of console manufacturers. Like MS has been working on DXR for years and it's been out for like 2+ years now, they probably had their own design and who knows what Sony has. I'm not expecting much from AMD regarding raytracing, they are so behind or maybe console raytracing will be very limited like those shadows and reflections.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
She didn't said: "Our Radeon RDNA Navi".
She said: "Our next generation RDNA gaming graphics architecture".
Yes, she's referring to Navi, but the Navi 20 ( RDNA 2.0 ).

I didn't take it that way at all.

Navi/RDNA isn't launched yet, therefore Navi/RDNA is their next generation architecture. Saying "our next generation RDNA architecture" to refer to Navi (any Navi) makes sense. "Our Radeon RDNA Navi" would just be a tortured way of saying things.

And I don't think Navi 20 is going to be RDNA 2.0, anyway. That would be Arcturus, and AMD isn't talking about that yet.

They're talking about Navi.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
looking at that raytracing roadmap AMD shared at e3, I don't think anyone is borrowing AMD's non existent Raytracing implemntation. They got nothing and their approach is dismissive, they want to leave it to the clouds! At best you will get some raytraced effects from AMD like shadows or reflections, the type of effects that even Pascal cards can produce playable framerates with. That makes me think that if there is any proper hardware acceleration already implemented for these consoles, it is based on the IP of console manufacturers. Like MS has been working on DXR for years and it's been out for like 2+ years now, they probably had their own design and who knows what Sony has. I'm not expecting much from AMD regarding raytracing, they are so behind or maybe console raytracing will be very limited like those shadows and reflections.
oh I fully expect it to be custum. its up to sony'/ms's internal enginers to disgin them.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Yes!

She just said it will be using RDNA which is their nextgen architecture.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Based on your link , plus recent statements on ps5 dev kits from others, seems that sony have an advantage over Microsoft in this field.

I think it too early to say which one is more powerful (it matters less and less really) but I think it more likely the PS5 kits are more mature and Sony have had them out there quite a bit longer. I think previous gens show the same pattern of Sony being out much earlier than Microsoft with dev kits. Just a different philosophy I guess?

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I mean hasn't Microsoft already confirmed hardware raytracing right in their Scarlet reveal video? Why is this no longer believed to be true? They used the term "hardware raytracing" and talked about it...

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean hasn't Microsoft already confirmed hardware raytracing right in their Scarlet reveal video? Why is this no longer believed to be true? They used the term "hardware raytracing" and talked about it...
they will have it, the question is is it amd tech, or ms based tech. my money is on ms based tech. amd seems to be nowhere on rt.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Nothing is true until it is confirmed. For me it is unclear they actually mean by HW accelerated RT. But I assume they will have something that can accelerate DXR for some workloads with their hardware. I also assume that this is some of MS tech/IP going into the SOC.

Oct 25, 2017
"Our Next Generation Radeon RDNA..."

It changes the meaning.
I didn't take it that way at all.

Navi/RDNA isn't launched yet, therefore Navi/RDNA is their next generation architecture. Saying "our next generation RDNA architecture" to refer to Navi (any Navi) makes sense. "Our Radeon RDNA Navi" would just be a tortured way of saying things.

And I don't think Navi 20 is going to be RDNA 2.0, anyway. That would be Arcturus, and AMD isn't talking about that yet.

They're talking about Navi.

She just said it will be using RDNA which is their nextgen architecture.

Scarlett have VSR and Raytracing HW.
Navi ( RDNA 1.0 ) don't have VRS or Raytracing HW.
As i said, can be RDNA 1.0 with custom MS sauce, like VSR and Raytracing HW and other things.
But that means Scarlett it's not RDNA 1.0 since is heavily customized.

Last edited:

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scarlett have VSR and Raytracing HW.
Navi ( RDNA 1.0 ) don't have VSR or Raytracing HW.
As i said, can be RDNA 1.0 with custom MS sauce, like VSR and Raytracing HW and other things.
but that doesnt mean it rdna 2.0 ether, b/c it may not be amd tech for the addons.

Rizla+

Jun 11, 2019
I think it too early to say which one is more powerful (it matters less and less really) but I think it more likely the PS5 kits are more mature and Sony have had them out there quite a bit longer. I think previous gens show the same pattern of Sony being out much earlier than Microsoft with dev kits. Just a different philosophy I guess?
Yes, i was talking about dev kits diffusion between devs. I think that next gen consoles will be so similar in raw power that the real difference will be in exclusive games.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017

Yes!

No, she's not. You're readingly it wrongly. The mentioned RDNA as their next gen architecture many times during the conference.
If MS was refering to RDNA 2.0 (whatever that is, because it was an unsubstantiated rumors from sweclockers), MS wouldn't call it Navi. They would scream it's next-gen Navi or wouldn't call it Navi at all.
This is purely making stuff up that's not there.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
Pre Reiner tweet:
Anaconda XDK currently smoking the PS5 devkit
Zen 3
Post NAVI codenamed "Arcturus" (lmao at this part)
3 way SMT 24 threads

Post Reiner tweet: The devkits aren't even out

when-nick-young-the-basketball-player-met-nick-young-the-meme-body-image-1485378510.jpg

Hilarious

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I also assume that this is some of MS tech/IP going into the SOC.
Why not licensed IP(for either console really)? NVidia is not the only RT HW game on the market.

Doesn't really matter - according to internet COD is still running on Quake engine. But to be fair - RT acceleration could be very orthogonal to the rest of GPU depending on how and what they implement (to the point of not necessarily touching the core architecture).

Status
Not open for further replies.