• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I remember, one of the pastebins from the end of last year was actually pretty much dead on, from predicting the rough specs, to even correctly stating when Sony would do their initial mini reveal. I don't know if this particular pastbin is from the same user, or if the other one was just lucky guesses, but it's something to consider.
Pastebins were a little less shit before members here started making their own for shitposting purposes, though.

That is not even low key! You can't reach that with 36 or 40 CUs at 1800 Mhz.
They won't be 36 or 40 CUs.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
I would be so pumped for a 9.6tf Navi, that would be upper end of everyone's expectations these last 12 months.

I'm not saying 9.6 is def happening obviously but I wouldn't doubt anything at this point since we really don't have a firm grasp on what amd is cooking up. This is really first time a gen is starting along side a major revamp in its suppliers gpu and cpu line up. Add to the fact Sony likes to do some customization to its chips. Ps5 most likely based on 2020 pc amd gpu fab.

Same goes for Microsoft

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Even if games do stay around the 100GB mark, you are throwing data from the SSD to memory 50 times faster with a 5GB/s SSD so the more computing power for decompressing and building data structures the better. Even the PS4 and XBO are limited by the CPU when loading data from their slow HDD, you can see that just by looking at how much faster X games load because of the 30% CPU clock boost. So they need a very fast decompressor, sounds like something that will take a significant area on the die. I'm with Colbert on this one, it's probably closer to 2GB/s than 5+. BTW, Microsoft keeps talking about how heavily customized their CPU is, maybe part of that customization is related to decompressing data from the SSD.

isn't there a considering that - the faster your SSD gets (and therefore the faster you can replace RAM) - the less decompression you need on the fly? You decompress because your HDD is shit. You could store things ready to use if you can dump them in ram fast enough.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Good point but amd claims 9.75tf navi is 1.14x 12.58tf vega64. Soon after first review we will know for sure. Edit: radeon vii has 1,024 GB/s bandwidth which gives him additional performance boost. There were no info about navi10 vs radeon vii.
That would be ~50% architectural improvements in game performance.
I believe it, when I see it. I would love AMD being able to make such a jump, but the GPU division disappointed way to often.

Vega 64@ 1735 MHz is the same as Radeon VII @1850MHz in raw computing power.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
isn't there a considering that - the faster your SSD gets (and therefore the faster you can replace RAM) - the less decompression you need on the fly? You decompress because your HDD is shit. You could store things ready to use if you can dump them in ram fast enough.
If you are storing uncompressed data, you need to store and transfer more data.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
That would be ~50% architectural improvements in game performance.
I believe it, when I see it. I would love AMD being able to make such a jump, but the GPU division disappointed way to often.

Vega 64@ 1735 MHz is the same as Radeon VII @1850MHz in raw computing power.
The most important ratio is still per/power consumption, navi could consume more per 1tf compare to gcn on 7nm (and I'm sure it does as it utilize more shading units on avarage)

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
That new patent from Sony for loading times sure sounds interesting. If they end up with having significantly shorter/faster loading times and also the more powerful box, even if slightly, who knows, then PS5 will definitely have a few edges over the next Xbox. It could be reasons for me to decide to stick with a Sony system this time for multiplatform titles.

Of course everything remains to be seen. And if true, who knows MS has their own "thing" to tackle loading and maybe something else.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
When the performance came out for Gonzalo to be above Vega 64, my tune changed for sure.
Just giving you a hard time.

My prediction is that things will only get better with time. Navi drivers will improve, and Navi's architecture is much more similar to Maxwell/Pascal, meaning Nvidia optimized titles should be more performant on Navi with less disparities. Case in point the fact that Navi does well on Metro and Witcher 3.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

"Devinder Sharma, Engadget: I feel like someone has to ask about graphics details. I'm interested in what you guys are doing with ray tracing – it seems like the next big thing for the next generation of consoles. I know we've heard about it before, can you confirm with RDNA?

Lisa Su:
We have a lot more RDNA content coming, both David (Wang) and Scott (Wasson) will be presenting – some of you may be coming to our Tech Day in a few weeks at E3 and we're going to talk about all that. We only had an hour today! I won't say any more, but we'll give you more of our roadmap at E3.

Ian Cutress, AnandTech: Given that Ray Tracing has been announced in the PS5 specs, can you say if that's a specific Sony optimization or is that inherent in RDNA?

Lisa Su:
We certainly have done very specific optimizations for Sony. They are a very deep partner with us on semi-custom, and there are optimizations there. However we view ray tracing as a very important element across the portfolio. We will have ray tracing in a number of places. Will you look at that, you got me to say more about ray tracing!

David Wang, AMD: We started RDNA before the Sony engagement. I think RDNA is revolutionary, and it is very flexible in terms of being able to be customized for different types of workloads.

Engadget: Do you feel like a lot of the previews about the Playstation 5 gave a number of hints of what you guys are working on? A big thing for them is the no loading of levels. Is there anything in particular that you guys are providing that comes over to PC gaming as well, like PCIe 4.0?

Lisa Su:
PCIe 4.0 definitely helps. As it relates to things, they've been very specific on their proprietary technologies."

cc: Colbert , anexanhume , BitsandBytes

Last edited:

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
What ifind most interesting, is now that we've basically settled on single digit Navi TFs....the supposedly original plan of a 2019 ps5 with 8tf Navi doesn't seem so underpowered anymore. Even if msnhad hit bare minimum double figure (10) teraflops, it's a 20% gain in power, hell that's not even ps4 to xbox1 or x1x to pro gap

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

Without compression, size of game will be a problem. We have game size of 100 GB... The size will become a real problem... 200 GB?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
You won't have raw data. Raw data for sound and image are way too heavy. You need to do lossless compression. So you need to decompress it quicker if the data come way faster. That's why it can be huge if it is HW decompressed in the drive, because it means no CPU power needed.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

"Devinder Sharma, Engadget: I feel like someone has to ask about graphics details. I'm interested in what you guys are doing with ray tracing – it seems like the next big thing for the next generation of consoles. I know we've heard about it before, can you confirm with RDNA?

Lisa Su:
We have a lot more RDNA content coming, both David (Wang) and Scott (Wasson) will be presenting – some of you may be coming to our Tech Day in a few weeks at E3 and we're going to talk about all that. We only had an hour today! I won't say any more, but we'll give you more of our roadmap at E3.

Ian Cutress, AnandTech: Given that Ray Tracing has been announced in the PS5 specs, can you say if that's a specific Sony optimization or is that inherent in RDNA?

Lisa Su:
We certainly have done very specific optimizations for Sony. They are a very deep partner with us on semi-custom, and there are optimizations there. However we view ray tracing as a very important element across the portfolio. We will have ray tracing in a number of places. Will you look at that, you got me to say more about ray tracing!

David Wang, AMD: We started RDNA before the Sony engagement. I think RDNA is revolutionary, and it is very flexible in terms of being able to be customized for different types of workloads.

Engadget: Do you feel like a lot of the previews about the Playstation 5 gave a number of hints of what you guys are working on? A big thing for them is the no loading of levels. Is there anything in particular that you guys are providing that comes over to PC gaming as well, like PCIe 4.0?

Lisa Su:
PCIe 4.0 definitely helps. As it relates to things, they've been very specific on their proprietary technologies."

cc: Colbert , anexanhume , BitsandBytes

Old stuff from Computex :) Still relevant though.

Here's a benchmark where 6C/12T 3600 slightly beats a 6C/12T 8700K in a benchmark that focuses on AVX2 (AVX256).

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
People ar
What ifind most interesting, is now that we've basically settled on single digit Navi TFs....the supposedly original plan of a 2019 ps5 with 8tf Navi doesn't seem so underpowered anymore. Even if msnhad hit bare minimum double figure (10) teraflops, it's a 20% gain in power, hell that's not even ps4 to xbox1 or x1x to pro gap

What are you talking about? If Navi gains are correct a 9.7 Navi is closing in on a 13tf gcn gpu not something you getting in a 2019 box. We really need to stop with the tf count since it seems to be confusing a lot of people

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I see that comment as a sidestep as to what customizations they have done.

Oh yeah, she is stretching diplomatic language to its limit :)

Anyway,it seems we won't get anything official from Sony till 2020 and next ~ 6 months will be the same old pastebin/reddit/4chan garbage...

Matt told me here the other day he doesn't think it is decided if there will be some PSX for 25th PS birthday later this year.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Yes, but that is not low key (bottom line).

Lol, i'm not surprised an african-americanism like "low key" is completely lost on you, Colbert, considering you're from Germany.

Thuways' use of "low key crazy" didn't mean that. It's more just an expression of emphasis (I think --- as a British guy, I'm no expert either).

Hmmnnn, nah it seems pretty clear she's specifically referencing RT there... otoh, "optimisations" can mean anything.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
If Red Dead Redemption is on two Blu-ray I will not bet against more for GTA 6.
I won't bet against it either but don't see why it would jump to 2x. As for it being on 2 disks, blu rays are only 50Gb. They either sell it on 2 disks, or they send 1 disk and make you download another 50Gb ala division 2. Except that one was 100Gb download on ps4 I think.

Quad layer blurays have 128GB capacity. PS5 shud use that.
Let's hope it does.

Chris Metal

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
V1KwXvx.gif

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Unless a game ships with 8k texture and audio in every language known to man, I don't think it would balloon in size.

Agree. It could ship with compressed data, and then uncompress onto SSD either during installation or during quiet moments at run time.

Also HDD based games had duplication of data due to slower seek times - so the same game on PS5 would be smaller. Of course overall sizes will increase but I'm just saying faster transfer speeds open up options on how games are designed and that can go as far as how data is stored at installation

Jun 18, 2018
X enhanced games are usually 100GB, FFXV on PC with 4K textures is ~150GB and that's with current gen assets. We will see some games hit 200GB next gen.

Agreed. It's not just an increase in texture resolution that's going to hit the memory, but also the demand for more texture types in order to build more complex shaders that present more realistic surfaces.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
doesnt the x enhanced games duplicate assets? dont most current gen games duplicate shit all over to speed up load times? i dont think the fact that some games are sized the way they are today can give us much of a clue about how big they'll be next gen, especially when you factor in new compression techniques.

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Anyway, i haven't seen this before-that Lisa essentially confirmed heavily customized HW RT in PS5 back then during Computex days.

Interesting. I took that as the opposite. Of course we are both probably overparsing her language, but here she uses really soft language to describe what they did with Sony:

"We certainly have done very specific optimizations for Sony. They are a very deep partner with us on semi-custom, and there are optimizations there. "

Specific optimizations? Semi- custom? There are optimizations? Feels to me like that is a description of Sony taking what AMDthey had and making slight tweaks....not heavy customization for a custom solution. I wish I could find the language she used when discussing the partnership with MS.... Does anyone have a link to that? It felt "stronger" but I could be mis-remembering and I dont have the exact quote.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas

Yeah a little. They can't/don't want to spill any beans on what their partner is doing so I can understand the restraint.

At least this finally puts the idea to bed that AMD is only really partnering with MS and doing customizations for them. I don't know why people were saying that in the first place, but at least there's direct words from Lisa's mouth that Sony is also a "deep" partner with lots of custom stuff going on.

It's also good to see her (double) confirm that Sony's SSD solution really is custom and isn't as simple as throwing in a PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive like most people are still assuming.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, MS and AMD are basically BFFs. The way they giggled on stage, you know it's special.

I wish I could find the language she used when discussing the partnership with MS.... Does anyone have a link to that? It felt "stronger" but I could be mis-remembering and I dont have the exact quote.

There's no need to start this again.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Agreed. It's not just an increase in texture resolution that's going to hit the memory, but also the demand for more texture types in order to build more complex shaders that present more realistic surfaces.
Indeed. Animations, shaders, models, 4K FMVs, 4K textures, even audio will probably go up in quality. Just take a look at Spider-man's BR:
QRtfGQn.jpg

Animations alone are 10GB, just imagine how much animation data next gen games will have with a powerful Zen 2. And what about models? We all expect higher detailed models with less repetition, that alone might take tens of GB.

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, MS and AMD are basically BFFs. The way they giggled on stage, you know it's special.

There's no need to start this again.

so much salt here....not sure why. The terms used to describe the relationships and they work they did were different. You also convieniently cut out the part where i explicitly say its probably over parsing the language....but ok.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Rockstar had all 3000 of their employees and 7 full studios help make one game just last year. The highest rated game of this gen was a multiplatform game. The best looking game on the PS4 is a multiplatform game. Rockstar engineers and artists didnt phone it in because they had to make sure the game also worked on a 1.3 tflops X1.

Wait a min...Why are people not calling this post out? Red Dead 2 being the best looking ps4 game? In what world does read dead look better than Uncharted 4, God Of war, Spiderman? NO way in hell does Red Dead 2 look better than those games. There is not a multiplat game out here that even comes close to Uncharted 4 or Horizon in my opinion.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait a min...Why are people not calling this post out? Red Dead 2 being the best looking ps4 game? In what world does read dead look better than Uncharted 4, God Of war, Spiderman? NO way in hell does Red Dead 2 look better than those games. There is not a multiplat game out here that even comes close to Uncharted 4 or Horizon in my opinion.
Perhaps because RDR2 is the best looking game of all time? ;p

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
some of these leaks i see feel like its someone who lurks here and then posts it on one of those sites. like they just read the conversations between some of you and think that sounds good enough to post it lol
and even make articles ... lol little do they know ... were all insiders and everything we say is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.