• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
V1KwXvx.gif
LOL an absolutely perfect GIF. Fantastic job!
From now on, it will be part of my prediction!
(if I have your permission)

Last edited:

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Wait a min...Why are people not calling this post out? Red Dead 2 being the best looking ps4 game? In what world does read dead look better than Uncharted 4, God Of war, Spiderman? NO way in hell does Red Dead 2 look better than those games. There is not a multiplat game out here that even comes close to Uncharted 4 or Horizon in my opinion.
Yeah. Even on Xbox I have doubts because FH4 looks gorgeous...

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. I took that as the opposite. Of course we are both probably overparsing her language, but here she uses really soft language to describe what they did with Sony:

"We certainly have done very specific optimizations for Sony. They are a very deep partner with us on semi-custom, and there are optimizations there. "

Specific optimizations? Semi- custom? There are optimizations? Feels to me like that is a description of Sony taking what AMDthey had and making slight tweaks....not heavy customization for a custom solution. I wish I could find the language she used when discussing the partnership with MS.... Does anyone have a link to that? It felt "stronger" but I could be mis-remembering and I dont have the exact quote.

You are probably reading too much into it. The next line of the quote directs to RT, then goes broadly after, so I can see why VX1 took it as RT for Sony. Both MS and Sony have deep partnerships with AMD and customizations. For example, MS/AMD might speak on developing Zen, but its not like Sony's Zen 2 is going to be off-shelf bought CPU either.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Wait a min...Why are people not calling this post out? Red Dead 2 being the best looking ps4 game? In what world does read dead look better than Uncharted 4, God Of war, Spiderman? NO way in hell does Red Dead 2 look better than those games. There is not a multiplat game out here that even comes close to Uncharted 4 or Horizon in my opinion.
I finished all the games you mentioned and In my opinion rdr2 looks most impressive.

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. Animations, shaders, models, 4K FMVs, 4K textures, even audio will probably go up in quality. Just take a look at Spider-man's BR:
QRtfGQn.jpg

Animations alone are 10GB, just imagine how much animation data next gen games will have with a powerful Zen 2. And what about models? We all expect higher detailed models with less repetition, that alone might take tens of GB.

Spidey also had 10GB of duplicate assets .
Also if i remember right how they do there time of day take up more space for assets .
I expect games to get bigger but i think people thinking to big lol.

Pretty sure its considered the best looking game this gen on this very board. You can create a thread or a poll and see it for yourself.
Gifs

Think you be wrong there we had more than one gfx thread where we had people saying Sony first party games look better .
Along with stuff like metro exodus and SC .
Then again best looking subjective to begin with .

EDIT that is not even talking about upcoming games like FFVIIR , TLOU2 , GOT , CP that people saying look great .

Last edited:

Searsy82

May 13, 2019

Disagree, RDR2 looks better than both of those (at least on the X it does). Is it a better game? No.
Its a combination of its overall visual fidelity, dynamic environments, and scale. Its astounding.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure its considered the best looking game this gen on this very board. You can create a thread or a poll and see it for yourself.

6qszGFR.gif

XlpePVu.gif

Don't fall into the trap.
It's not only does looks better, but it's also an open world game way much bigger. What, 2-3 times maybe?

The comparison isn't there at all lol.

Having played all *Big games* this gen Imo RDR2 puts all of them to shame.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
I dont know about X but on the PS4 pro RDR2 does not look better than UC4 imo. UC4 chapter 14 is the prettiest level of this gen. It is gobsmacking in its beauty. Of course narrower scope so...

I think God of War is actually pretty poor looking in comparison to RDR2, UC4 etc.. Looks blocky as hell. I think it looks really really bad in comparison.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
Folks, that conversation is going to go nowhere. Not only is it based on opinion but you have the added possibility of emotional investment with one game being exclusive. No good is going to come from that debate.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Spidey also had 10GB of duplicate assets .
Also if i remember right how they do there time of day take up more space for assets .
I expect games to get bigger but i think people thinking to big lol.

Think you be wrong there we had more than one gfx thread where we had people saying Sony first party games look better .
Along with stuff like metro exodus and SC .
Then again best looking subjective to begin with .

EDIT that is not even talking about upcoming games like FFVIIR , TLOU2 , GOT , CP that people saying look great .
I've added the Spider-man slide in order to demonstrate how big model, animation and textures are this gen. Next gen they will be much bigger and we already have 100GB+ games this gen.

Some games take 15GB and some 100GB so not every game will take 200GB next-gen. But some games probably will.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
I dont know about X but on the PS4 pro RDR2 does not look better than UC4 imo. UC4 chapter 14 is the prettiest level of this gen. It is gobsmacking in its beauty. Of course narrower scope so...

I think God of War is actually pretty poor looking in comparison to RDR2, UC4 etc.. Looks blocky as hell. I think it looks really really bad in comparison.
UC4 looks too colorful/unrealistic. If we really want to compare tunnel game to openworld I would chose Order 1886 as best graphic of this generation. This one looks like prederendered movie.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I've added the Spider-man slide in order to demonstrate how big model, animation and textures are this gen. Next gen they will be much bigger and we already have 100GB+ games this gen.

Some games take 15GB and some 100GB so not every game will take 200GB next-gen. But some games probably will.

I think the biggest game will probably be GTA 6. There is much more density in GTA than in Read Dead Redemption...

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I've added this Spider-man in order to demonstrate how big model, animation and textures are this gen. Next gen they will be much bigger and we already have 100GB+ games this gen.

Yes but games big for many reasons and i don't think people taking to account everything .
Like better compression next gen , less duplicate assets etc etc that we going to get next gen .

UC4 looks too colorful/unrealistic. If we really want to compare tunnel game to openworld I would chose Order 1886 as best graphic of this generation. This one looks like prederendered movie.

I don't think being colorful/unrealistic should matter some people think HZD is best looking game this gen and the lighting and world unrealistic in look.
FFVIIR is the same way and it's one of the best looking games i have ever seen from clips we get .

Norml

Feb 22, 2018
It's not only does looks better, but it's also an open world game way much bigger. What, 2-3 times maybe?

Red Dead certainty does far more, but Spiderman is the only game so far that gave me next gen feels.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
i think what is impressive about red dead is its holistic approach: the number of fine details that they get right. this feels more like a money and dev time thing than a tech thing, though i suppose they are one in the same.

I don't really have any particular inclination to play it despite how good it looks, but that's outside the purview or this convo and something not even I understand

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
If Red Dead Redemption is on two Blu-ray I will not bet against more for GTA 6.

I was gonna argue that I don't remember having to change discs when I played RDR2 on PS4... but then I remembered I haven't bought a PS4 game on disc since KZ:Shadowfall, lol.

Indeed. Animations, shaders, models, 4K FMVs, 4K textures, even audio will probably go up in quality. Just take a look at Spider-man's BR:
QRtfGQn.jpg

Animations alone are 10GB, just imagine how much animation data next gen games will have with a powerful Zen 2. And what about models? We all expect higher detailed models with less repetition, that alone might take tens of GB.

Assuming devs start taking advantage of trained DL models for character and NPC animations, would that not massively reduce the need to store a large amount of animation data on disc?

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I think the biggest game will probably be GTA 6. There is much more density in GTA than in Read Dead Redemption...
The biggest games aren't always what we would expect. For instance some of the biggest games on the X are Halo 5 and Forza 7, both ~100GB. Not exactly the games you would expect to more than double the open world Spider-man.

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017
R* games are always meant to be taken in as a whole. If you zoom in on the world you'll see questionable textures everywhere. But everything comes together so coherently.

Still, I think GoW came out on top. I don't know how they pulled that dragon boss fight off, I'm sure it brought the PS4 to its knees.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest games aren't always what we would expect. For instance some of the biggest games on the X are Halo 5 and Forza 7, both ~100GB. Not exactly the games you would expect to more than double the open world Spider-man.

Forza i can understand since car games can have a huge amount of unique assets think GTS is 80GB and growing .
Still sometimes you have to look and seeing what taking up all that space and you be surprise.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finished gow after rdr2 and have feeling that I'm playing outdated game from the past.
Nah. We can argue that RDR2 has some crazy ass mechanics but doesn't make what GoW did any less impressive.

I wouldn't say the snow in GoW was better than RDR2 though. Only in one particular area.

HZD's DLC snow though? That's the best snow this gen. It's no surprise though, given RDR2 has many more things it does better.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

You should probably be ashamed for making this post in the absence of any realisation that "what looks best" is inherently subjective -- I mean some posters on Era will tell you BoTW is the best looking game across all platforms.

On the other hand, I think you would struggle to make any reasonable or rational case that RDR2 doesn't stand shoulder to shoulder with the best looking games of the gen - among which are a handful of Sony exclusives some of which you mentioned.

RDR2 is absolutely stunning. Your post makes me question whether you've played it or just watch heavily compressed footage on YouTube?

Thank you for making this post.

Visually, The Order 1886 is one of the most criminally underrated games ever. The game is a spectacular triumph of near-cgi level game graphics nirvana.

Their PBR implementation in particular just made materials in the world look so tangible (AND best yet... no RT was needed to achieve it, lol).

Luckydog

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You are probably reading too much into it. The next line of the quote directs to RT, then goes broadly after, so I can see why VX1 took it as RT for Sony. Both MS and Sony have deep partnerships with AMD and customizations. For example, MS/AMD might speak on developing Zen, but its not like Sony's Zen 2 is going to be off-shelf bought CPU either.

Neither are going to be off the shelf parts. Based on the wordings I've seen, it felt like Sony spent more effort customizing the GPU and Microsoft spent more effort customizing the CPU. That would seem to agree with the leaks that Sony's devkit has more graphical power as well as Spencer saying framerate is important. If I had to guess, I think they just focused on different aspects of the APU. That doesnt mean MS did nothing to the GPU and Sony did nothing to the CPU, just that their area of focus or where they spent more time is different.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Each to their own.
I don't find it comparable to RDR2.
For me, RDR2 far and beyond all.

Overall it is the most impressive to me at the moment, although I think upcoming games surpass it. Death Stranding has better environment renedering and character models, TLoU2 has better animations, modelling and geometric detail, FFVII R has very impressive modelling, effects and lighting...So yeah, I think there are a number of games that will probably match if not surpass it in overall visual punch by the end of this gen.

Actually, I do find Spiderman does some things that impressed me as much...character models, set pieces and real time cutscenes

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for making this post.

Visually, The Order 1886 is one of the most criminally underrated games ever. The game is a spectacular triumph of near-cgi level game graphics nirvana.

Their PBR implementation in particular just made materials in the world look so tangible (AND best yet... no RT was needed to achieve it, lol).

Yes it's still very impressive .
Truth is early games this gen have age much better compare to last gen .
You have stuff that came out years ago that look just as impressive as games that not come out yet .

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Played all four. On the Pro and FH4 on PC at native 4k 60 fps ultra settings.

If you dont think that looks impressive there is nothing to talk about frankly.

Told ya not to fall into the trap :D

Overall it is the most impressive to me at the moment, although I think upcoming games surpass it. Death Stranding has better environment renedering and character models, TLoU2 has better animations, modelling and geometric detail, FFVII R has very impressive modelling, effects and lighting...So yeah, I think there are a number of games that will probably match if not surpass it in overall visual punch by the end of this gen.

Actually, I do find Spiderman does some things that impressed me as much...character models, set pieces and real time cutscenes

Yeah, Am not gonna make a comparison to unreleased games.

By that logic I can list all upcoming games.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Played all four. On the Pro and FH4 on PC at native 4k 60 fps ultra settings.

If you dont think that looks impressive there is nothing to talk about frankly.

Yea I should have ended it after you responded to me. There really isn't anything out on consoles that looks better than uncharted 4 its self, not even speaking on GOW or Horizon Zero dawn. But hey we all have our opinions.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Disagree, RDR2 looks better than both of those (at least on the X it does). Is it a better game? No.
Its a combination of its overall visual fidelity, dynamic environments, and scale. Its astounding.

Any argument will be obsolete once TLOU2 launches.

https://videocardz.com/newz/sapphire-registers-radeon-rx-5950-5900-xt-rx-5850-5800-xt-series-at-eec

Registering every name they can, or something else? Maybe one of these big boys is in the next consoles?

Navi 20 rising.

Status
Not open for further replies.