• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
What
About taking into account designing for additional cooling ? Maybe the previous upper limit was not 1.8 and. Honestly just spitballing, maybe the additional time went to the hbm2 ddr4 ram setup
Has there been any update to that rumor? It's such a weird one. Everything made a ton of sense except for the bandwidth numbers and the split in RAM types being more DDR4. If it was something like 12gb HBM2 with higher bandwidth and 8gb of DDR4 for games I could see it being a viable route. Just curious for some more insight on that one.

Oct 25, 2017
About hardware sales from Mat and Benji and what to expect next year:

One of the reasons why i was skeptical about late 2020 next gen launch, especially from Sony.
Keep in mind, this is just US commentary.

They'll both be late 2020 and everything will be fine. It won't matter that sales are declining in 2020 if new consoles are coming that year.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The 2070/1080/vega scores being thrown around yesterday were set using a 4.2ghz 5960. That cpu gets a 13400 physics score while a 2700x hits 19800.

For reference my ocd 2070 and 8700k does over 25k graphics, 21k physics, with an overall score just under 22k. So imo a 22k overall score is extremely impressive if it's real.

Like if these consoles have as good or better rtx implementation than a 2070, I'd probably part out my rig and just use my laptop on my monitor. Even if they don't rtx is so limited I'd be tempted to. It's really just a gaming rig and I like my oled and couch gaming better.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
For reference my 2070 and 8700k does over 25k graphics, 21k physics, with an overall score just under 22k. So imo a 22k overall score is extremely impressive if it's real.

Core clock: 2 085 MHz Memory bus clock: 1 950 MHz ? Boost Clock for standard rtx 2070 is 1620 MHz and memory 1750 MHz. Don't put overclocked results of your computer, nobody cares.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

Balance has been restored to the force once again :-)

c2ZWuSO.png

Also the reaction when I pay a $100 (and 15% tax) more for the new console that MAGA residents.

Don't worry, if my missus has anything to do with it, I may be joining you up there too.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Core clock: 2 085 MHz Memory bus clock: 1 950 MHz ? Boost Clock for standard rtx 2070 is 1620 MHz and memory 1750 MHz. Don't put overclocked results of your computer, nobody cares.

Why? For reference a stock 2080 does about 27000 firestrike graphics score and 10.5k graphics timespy. My 2070 does over 10k timespy. And I'm not really even pushing the memory. Also that 2080mhz core clock isn't sustained boost. Like it maybe hits that for a few seconds at the beginning of the benchmark run. Then it holds just over 2000mhz.

Also a stock 2070 will boost much higher than 1750 without touching anything. Without touching core clock it should boost into the 1900s if you have an A chip variation. Imo the the 2070 is the best perf/$ card out right now.

It pretty much hangs with a 1080ti with a slight memory OC. The Samsung chips were originally specced for 16000mhz, so it makes sense they don't really have a problem hitting that. That said I am a tinkerer and I believe I have scores for Vega 64 and 2070 in the top 100 on both fs and timespy, on air. I have fun with it.

And plenty of people do care about ocing. So I don't really get the hostility.

Was just trying to point out a cpu with 21k phsyics and a gpu with 25k graphics doesn't quite hit 22k overall.

If that overall score is actually real we are looking at Vega 7/2080 performance in consoles. Which is awesome. Like that is a straight up beasty score you can only really get with very high end gpus and CPUs.

So if we do end up getting current high end PC hardware equivs in a console, that's super awesome.

Yes these are synthetic benches but in my experience they actually do correlate pretty well to real world performance in modern titles. I would say historically amd does better in firestrike than timespy. A Vega 64 for example should be pretty close to a 2080 based on firestrike alone but it's not really. Timespy is more accurate for comparing a score vs actual game benches.

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Why? For reference a stock 2080 does about 27000 firestrike graphics score and 10.5k graphics timespy. My 2070 does over 10k timespy. And I'm not really even pushing the memory. Also that 2080mhz core clock isn't sustained boost. Like it maybe hits that for a few seconds at the beginning of the benchmark run. Then it holds just over 2000mhz.

Also a stock 2070 will boost much higher than 1750 without touching anything. Without touching core clock it should boost into the 1900s if you have an A chip variation. Imo the the 2070 is the best perf/$ card out right now.

It pretty much hangs with a 1080ti with a slight memory OC. The Samsung chips were originally specced for 16000mhz, so it makes sense they don't really have a problem hitting that. That said I am a tinkerer and I believe I have scores for Vega 64 and 2070 in the top 100 on both fs and timespy, on air. I have fun with it.

And plenty of people do care about ocing. So I don't really get the hostility.

Was just trying to point out a cpu with 21k phsyics and a gpu with 25k graphics doesn't quite hit 22k overall.

If that overall score is actually real we are looking at Vega 7/2080 performance in consoles. Which is awesome.
If you want to share overclocked results write that its overclocked and not base card otherwise you make missinformation and don't bring additional value for discussion.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you want to share overclocked results write that its overclocked and not base card otherwise you make missinformation and don't bring additional value for discussion.

Like a few posts up before posting the bench link I said a heavily ocd 2070 or Vega 64 do 25000 firestrike graphics.

And I edited that post.

The reason I made the post I guess is just that bench is real we can expect at least between a 2070 and 2080 performance (so basically a Radeon 7/1080ti) and also a high end CPU. Like this is a good thing imo.

Last edited:

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
How did some of the talk about that Gonzalo Firestrike benchmark of around 20K which was just a little more than some reported RTX 2070 score (mid range card that would be in line with what people expect from the first Navi cards based on what AMD has now revealed) morph into some saying that it was a score of 22K and will be pushing at a high end PC level?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
How did some of the talk about that Gonzalo Firestrike benchmark of around 20K which was just a little more than some reported RTX 2070 score (mid range card that would be in line with what people expect from the first Navi cards based on what AMD has now revealed) morph into some saying that it was a score of 22K and will be pushing at a high end PC level?
$500

"Mid-range."

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Prediction: TLOU2 will look better than some early next-gen AAA games. I say this with a high level of confidence.
Now imagine if the same that held true this gen, holds true next gen too. In that while TLOU is technically speaking one of the better looking games on this gen from an art standpoint, technologically speaking, it is blown out of the water even by stuff like KZ:SF.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like a few posts up before posting the bench link I said a heavily ocd 2070 or Vega 64 do 25000 firestrike graphics.

And I edited that post.
Not in a year and a half when new PC hardware will have been released.

We're not going to get current gen discrete gpu perf upon console release. Last gen high end is pretty good imo. It's just a reality of having to plan ahead and do a production run before launch.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
What I want to know is how closely will they be coding to the metal for next gen? I needs dat code to be snuggling right up against that metal for a true next gen experience! :)

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
We're not going to get current gen discrete gpu perf upon console release. Last gen high end is pretty good imo. It's just a reality of having to plan ahead and do a production run before launch.
With that being said, next gen console specs are still good.

It's gonna be a real upgrade.

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
The X1.25 performance, that thing is really weird.... Regarding performance per clock, I don't even know what to make of it. It's supposed to be performance for the same amount of CU and the same clock?
It was reported in the technical press as an improvement to instructions per clock (IPC). So not directly related to end-result performance, more talking about how RDNA differs from previous hardware in that it runs the same ISA 25% quicker.

AMD did not ever give a specific number for change in end-result performance. But given the benchmarks they presented, it can be estimated they're claiming about 1.4x or more.

WELP EVERYONE IT SEEMS THAT 8TFLOP TEAM WON

New die size estimates:
75mm for CPU
81.6mm2 for 320 bit bus
93.32mm2 for 4 SEs (ROPs, cache, etc.)
The consoles will almost certainly not have 4 SEs. Remember that Shader Engines in RDNA are differently defined and much larger than with GCN. For the likely performance profile, probably only 2 new SEs will be needed--maybe 3 at the very high end of possibility.

What is the consensus on Gonzalo? ...Who is building such a powerful console if not Sony or MS?
Slightly Mad Studios, he said sarcastically.

where was that one game where you played a "hero" and battled like hundreds of enemies on screen? now this time.. itll be THOUSANDS on screen where you dash, swing, low kick and use supers to make your screen look pretty.
I know you were just joking, but PS2 already had a game where you fought thousands of enemies on screen: God of War.

No, not that one.

Deleted member 36493

Dec 19, 2017
Now imagine if the same that held true this gen, holds true next gen too. In that while TLOU is technically speaking one of the better looking games on this gen from an art standpoint, technologically speaking, it is blown out of the water even by stuff like KZ:SF.
True. The first next-gen AAA 1st Party game will probably blow it out of the water. But the first few average next-gen games? They won't top TLOU2.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
True. The first next-gen AAA 1st Party game will probably blow it out of the water. But the first few average next-gen games? They won't top TLOU2.
Hopefully we don't have to wait too long to see the first AAA next-gen only 1st party game. Really hoping Horizon 2 makes it out the first year of the PS5's life.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Isn't it great that we live in a world where a $500 GPU is considered as mid range?

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I thought I read it was a 22k overall score? Is that incorrect? Where is the link for this anyway

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

22k with a 2080.

And a 13k physics score for a 5960x is some horseshit pulled from a bs CPU comparison site.

It does 20k plus physics at 4.5ghz. 300mhz doesn't get you 8k more physics points.

I would expect a sub 20k physics score from a sub 4ghz ryzen 2 but it wouldnt be anywhere near only 13k.

From this if this 22k overall firestrike is real, you are looking at 2080 level gpu performance with a high end ryzen CPU.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok so the leak is a 20k combined score with an apu that I doubt is hitting even 4ghz CPU side. That's still extremely impressive and would correlate to at least a 25k graphics score. So between a 2070 and 2080, potentially even north of a 2080 If the CPU is only clocked at sub 3.5ghz.

And given we are going to see a lot of 4k stuff this is actually good. You're gpu bottlenecked anyway at this point if there's a ryzen 2 in there at almost any clock on the ryzen side.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I am beginning to have this feeling that AMD is giving both Sony and MS the exact same chip. And the differences will come down t how each company clocks it (aka cools it), amount of RAM, SSD solution....etc.

Cause thinking about it now, Both Sony and MS technically had the exact same chip back in 2013. Or what would have been the exact same chip if MS didn't have to do the whole ES RAM thingy.

I believe that there is only so much AMD can do as far as an APU goes, and AMD will make the most powerful APU they can make. And whatever that is it's something both Sony and MS will take.
Ok so the leak is a 20k combined score with an apu that I doubt is hitting even 4ghz CPU side. That's still extremely impressive and would correlate to at least a 25k graphics score. So between a 2070 and 2080, potentially even north of a 2080 If the CPU is only clocked at sub 3.5ghz.

And given we are going to see a lot of 4k stuff this is actually good. You're gpu bottlenecked anyway at this point if there's a ryzen 2 in there at almost any clock on the ryzen side.

I think we should all be mindful that while that APU could be a representation of what we get in the nextgen consoles, it's highly possible that whatever form it was in (clocks) when it ran hat benchmark may not be the for its in when its in the consoles. Eg, in that benchmark the CPU could have been clocked at 3.5Ghz but ends up being 3Ghz in the console.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am beginning to have this feeling that AMD is giving both Sony and MS the exact same chip. And the differences will come down t how each company clocks it (aka cools it), amount of RAM, SSD solution....etc.

Cause thinking about it now, Both Sony and MS technically had the exact same chip back in 2013. Or what would have been the exact same chip if MS didn't have to do the whole ES RAM thingy.

I believe that there is only so much AMD can do as far as an APU goes, and AMD will make the most powerful APU they can make. And whatever that is it's something both Sony and MS will take.

Yeah I mean the only way this isnt the case is if sony/Ms contributed to the IP of the chip itself.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
A bit off topic but important for next gen streaming "future":

It seems we Euros are not exactly big fans...

"German players are the least interested, with just 10% of gamers keeping an eye on the services and 75% who are not interested."
cc: Colbert :)

And I'm sure if you asked the same question about gaming subscription services, and a predominantly digital future 10 years ago you would have been met with similar results. Yet here we are. Conveniency and cost-of-entry rule all.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I did not read the post properly. I genuinely thought that it was about the Last of Us 2. I apologize for that...
Ah, no, lol. That's alright.

I'm just saying that as amazing as TLOU:II looks to us right now, there is a distinct possibility that it will be blown out of the water by the first first party title that releases on PS5, by sheer virtue of it being on new hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.