Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT5| - It's in RDNA

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• Total voters

ZOONAMI

Oct 27, 2017
also you need to excusde rt since navi doesnt have it, though seems like ms/sony is adding it after the fact.
just as a off topic thing, could totally see nvidia, by choice, lower tradition gpu performance on future cards to add more rt cores. I tend to think we are well beyond diminishing returns point for non rt based rendering.
Eh, no, more cus and more shaders are still needed for just 4k rendering, let alone 8k.

Diminishing returns sure in the sense you need huge dies to improve 4k and 8k performance, but you also need huge dies for RT hardware. Honestly I'd rather they focus on 4k60+ performance before worrying about RT

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, no, more cus and more shaders are still needed for just 4k rendering, let alone 8k.

Diminishing returns sure in the sense you need huge dies to improve 4k and 8k performance, but you also need huge dies for RT hardware. Honestly I'd rather they focus on 4k60+ performance before worrying about RT
I rather take 1080p and good rt, over 4k without tbh. keep in mind thew mind blowing stuff we have seen for it is with 1 rt core, what happends when nvidia dicides to put several on a chip.

terawatt

Oct 27, 2017
thats crazy. i almost never overclock my gpu or cpu. i still have a bad experience from overclocking my 2003 pc i built for half life 2. that thing degraded within a few years. my gtx 570 has lasted almost 9 years now because i never overclocked it or the cpu.

im very tempted to overclock using afterburner. all the videos show its pretty safe, but im fine with turning down the graphics to high instead of ultra. i can barely even tell the difference.

lastly, im pretty sure AMD was using the base clocks on the rtx 2070 to do the strange brigade comparison. so 16k fire strike score with an i7 8700 is what we should look at when comparing the gonzolo apu to it.
Overclocking is really safe and easy these days, alot of safeguards on the cards, basically you're leaving free performance on the table if you don't. Just use the OC scanner tool in afterburner, it does everything for you.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 is still at 299 though. A super slim with a 50 price drop will make things smoother for Sony until next-gen arrives.

I was surprised when I saw them forecasting 16m for this FY (seems high, this was their forecast for last year before the revisions), I'm curious to see how much they'll ship this first quarter.
Sony can probably weather things a little better than MS who have already used up sales and discounts a lot so the customers may have already factored that in.

But a $50 cut to $250 plus 25% tariffs lands you at a $299 console so that may not help

I do think Sony should do a super slim though. They will have a couple of years in primary markets at lower volumes to justify the investment, and it potentially opens up other markets too

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so the leak is a 20k combined score with an apu that I doubt is hitting even 4ghz CPU side. That's still extremely impressive and would correlate to at least a 25k graphics score. So between a 2070 and 2080, potentially even north of a 2080 If the CPU is only clocked at sub 3.5ghz.

And given we are going to see a lot of 4k stuff this is actually good. You're gpu bottlenecked anyway at this point if there's a ryzen 2 in there at almost any clock on the ryzen side.
If it's really gonzalo score we know the CPU clocks are max 3.2 ghz

Liabe Brave

Oct 27, 2017
so this begs the question. is the gonzolo really an 8 tflops gpu?

the 9.5 tflops 5700xt only matches the rtx 2070 in one game. how can an 8 tflops rdna gpu almost match a factory rtx 2080?
You've got a couple things wrong here, and it's throwing off your analysis. First, the 5700XT is not a 9.5 TF design, not when comparing to consoles or Nvidia. AMD "boost clock" is almost never hit, which is why they've disclosed "game clock" as well. That's the speed the GPU will actually sustain (i.e. more akin to how other products are calculated). So the 5700XT is actually a flat 9TF for comparison purposes.

Second, those 9 TF don't match the RTX 2070 in only one game. They exceed it in several (most?), at least per AMD.

So 5700XT is slightly lower TF than you say, and its results are notably better. This makes the claimed Gonzalo benchmark much less surprising. (Especially since that chip is supposedly running at marginally higher clock than the 5700XT.)

Of course, real-world results might end up less powerful than the scattered and uncalibrated benchmarks we have right now.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
so this begs the question. is the gonzolo really an 8 tflops gpu?

the 9.5 tflops 5700xt only matches the rtx 2700 in one game. how can an 8 tflops rdna gpu almost match a factory rtx 2080? i think 12 rdna tflops is back on the table.

Because benchmarks differs. As people already said, VEGA64 performs really well in that benchmark too... While it doesn't perform as well in game.

jaggies

Oct 30, 2017
I do think Sony should do a super slim though. They will have a couple of years in primary markets at lower volumes to justify the investment, and it potentially opens up other markets too
Yeah, they'll definitely do a super slim (or "PS four" for those of us who remember...). They'll want to be able to sell the PS4 for less than $299, which means reducing the build cost. I hope you like top-loading drives!

Plus, yeah, developing markets are a big opportunity for them too. The PS4 isn't done.

(No, but seriously, my dream is a PS4 built into an exact replica PS1 case for the 25th anniversary. Make it happen, Sony!)