• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Did you see that ?

70% scale 4K + RiS seems to be 30% more faster than native 4K and almost no visual losses.

I hope there will be a native sharpening easier to use than CB 4K...

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Reading some comments here it's almost as if SSDs are a new technology that are about to release soon and that the world isnt ready for it. :"")
how exactly did shaders change game design? like from more than just a visual perspective
Having SSDs as a baseline will be huge.

Shaders changed game design from a visual perspective. SSDs will change game design by gameplay. That's what the debate was about.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
feels like all the leak well died, i am starting to even miss the tons of fake paste bin leaks....

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
yea probably gotta wait until then for official reveal event, BUT, if PSX is a thing, i can see Sony ending PSX with a teaser inviting everyone to watch the stream in february about the "future of playstation"
Have they made any indication that they want to do psx again? Like I feel like we'd more likely see it labeled as the PS5 reveal event and not PSX. Seeing a new console with a bunch of fans in a small venue and hear about GDDR6 ram for 50 minutes seems like a bastardization of the event. An event hyper focused on giving fans of PS smaller but more dear to their heart type games and announcements

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Have they made any indication that they want to do psx again? Like I feel like we'd more likely see it labeled as the PS5 reveal event and not PSX. Seeing a new console with a bunch of fans in a small venue and hear about GDDR6 ram for 50 minutes seems like a bastardization of the event. An event hyper focused on giving fans of PS smaller but more dear to their heart type games and announcements
well yea, i am saying to hold a PS4 focused PSX in december, and end it with a teaser for the PS5 reveal event in february.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
well yea, i am saying to hold a PS4 focused PSX in december, and end it with a teaser for the PS5 reveal event in february.
I think they're going to just do the February event and do states of play in between. I honestly think both companies might do well to just not reveal their console like last gen, given how we may just not see any difference in visuals. But then the other part of me is like, I don't even know what next gen looks like and I'm a really into gaming. Others are even more clueless. So maybe we do need a reveal event

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
I think they're going to just do the February event and do states of play in between. I honestly think both companies might do well to just not reveal their console like last gen, given how we may just not see any difference in visuals. But then the other part of me is like, I don't even know what next gen looks like and I'm a really into gaming. Others are even more clueless. So maybe we do need a reveal event
I was actually thinking the opposite. Since both companies want to show off the new tech in their machines they would do a reveal earlier than this gen. I'm also basing part of my prediction off of the RuthenicCookie leak.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
I was actually thinking the opposite. Since both companies want to show off the new tech in their machines they would do a reveal earlier than this gen. I'm also basing part of my prediction off of the RuthenicCookie leak.
I mean these consoles are only like 2x more powerful than x1x or something. A bit different from the 7x difference from x360 to Xbox one. Which impacts the way id think about doing it.

But maybe those are the wrong variables to measure? Maybe we should be looking at the diff between Xbox one OG to Scarlett. Since devs HAVE to build around og x1 power.

Oct 25, 2017
yea probably gotta wait until then for official reveal event, BUT, if PSX is a thing, i can see Sony ending PSX with a teaser inviting everyone to watch the stream in february about the "future of playstation"
Mhm, I could see that at most. The focus would be on giving PS4 its last hurrah and end with a tease of what is coming next. It would be cool with the 25th anniversary thing.

Was the PS3 revealed at E3 2005?
I think it was E3 2006. It had the price reveal and giant enemy crabs and Ridge Racer.

Edit - Wait, I think it was officially revealed at E3 2005. We just got the full blowout at E3 2006.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
I mean these consoles are only like 2x more powerful than x1x or something. A bit different from the 7x difference from x360 to Xbox one. Which impacts the way id think about doing it.

But maybe those are the wrong variables to measure? Maybe we should be looking at the diff between Xbox one OG to Scarlett. Since devs HAVE to build around og x1 power.
Exactly.

For the devs who aim for visuals we should see around a PS3-PS4 sized leap.

For the devs who aim for overall complexity (CPU, SSD, etc) the leap will be massive.

Current gen games will feel ancient.

Edit: I've seen some estimations that claim the PS4 overall is about 10x more powerful than the PS3 overall. The PS5 should absolutely be more than that.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019

No, this consoles will be far more advanve that the one x.

They will be at least 2x the Gpu, 4x the cpu 2x the ram and the sdd.

That alone will put the one x looking like a weak console.

The leap from the ps4 to the one s will be like 10x

Oct 25, 2017

That is correct.

It should always be looked at in terms of the lowest baseline current gen to lowest baseline next gen because that is where all the work starts from. A game developed solely for Pro or X would be on another level compared to games designed solely for PS4 or X1.

The gap between base PS4/X1 and PS5/Scarlett is really big.

Edit - Heck, even if you want to compare the mid-gen consoles to PS5/Scarlett, you're still getting a big jump. The CPU difference alone blows Pro/X out of the water. You can't just look at the numbers.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
That is correct.

It should always be looked at in terms of the lowest baseline current gen to lowest baseline next gen because that is where all the work starts from. A game developed solely for Pro or X would be on another level compared to games designed solely for PS4 or X1.

The gap between base PS4/X1 and PS5/Scarlett is really big.
Right. And I love being told I'm right. Trust me. But we are in a different place IMO. These engines are becoming very scaleable. I don't think as much effort goes into designing around different models of hardware. That's why X and Pro exist. If it were that hard, I don't think we would've seen the massive list of X improvements across not only current gen games but BC games as well

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Mhm, I could see that at most. The focus would be on giving PS4 its last hurrah and end with a tease of what is coming next. It would be cool with the 25th anniversary thing.

I think it was E3 2006. It had the price reveal and giant enemy crabs and Ridge Racer.

Edit - Wait, I think it was officially revealed at E3 2005. We just got the full blowout at E3 2006.
I'm starting to think the rest of the PS4's lineup will be revealed in State Of Plays. That way PSX will have full dedication to the next generation!

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
there is also a second option, an event for both the PS4 and the PS5. due to PS5 being backwards compatible with the PS4, every game shown in the event will release on that system anyway, maybe actually separate them to 2 streams, start with the PS4 stream of what to expect in 2020 and then the PS5 stream of what the PS5 really is, what launch window games will be, etc. i personally think this idea might muddy up the message of the new console and would rather have them as 2 separates events at different dates completely.

What would they even show at psx? I don't think anyone wants to see any more tlou until it comes out in February 2020. I feel like if they were going to show anything it's be at TGA, which have become really big imho.
a 1 minute teaser like they did for the original playstation meeting

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
What would they even show at psx? I don't think anyone wants to see any more tlou until it comes out in February 2020. I feel like if they were going to show anything it's be at TGA, which have become really big imho.
We all have different predictions. I think a blowout with specs, tech demos, games in development/launch games, etc. E3 2020 might be for a few smaller megatons with more information in general. I predict Microsoft will have a full reveal at E3 2020. The opposite of the small reveal (April 2019 for Sony and June 2019 for MS).

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
We all have different predictions. I think a blowout with specs, tech demos, games in development/launch games, etc. E3 2020 might be for a few smaller megatons with more information in general. I predict Microsoft will have a full reveal at E3 2020. The opposite of the small reveal (April 2019 for Sony and June 2019 for MS).
Yeah if Phil is smart he would just hold it until E3 2020. That way there's less time to have a PR disaster

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Teaser trailer of ps5 announcement with 5 to 10 second of unkown games for next gen . Saying tune in on Feb 2020

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I feel Sony have been quiet and secretive for so long that every possible option is open for them to do. The only thing that would surprise me is if they didn't do something incorporating the 25th anniversary.

No doubt the announcement of the announcement will come out of nowhere leaving us all dazed and confused like the PS4 reveal teaser video did.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
new question, do you think TGA this year will feature a next gen game reveal? i mean with in game graphics, not CGI trailers like this E3.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Teaser trailer of ps5 announcement with 5 to 10 second of unkown games for next gen . Saying tune in on Feb 2020
That's not what I mean. Like, what games would they show? For the actual one hour conference. And who would be up on the stage? A lot of their "cool personalities" are gone. They just have Shawn Layden and like Mark Cerny but Cerny will only show up w hardware

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

Yup, they are the wrong variables to measure... would have thought that obvious considering you also provided the right variables to measure.

Why compare 360 to XB1 then compare XB1X to Scarlett? It should be OG XB1 to Scarlett/PS5.

Even if we are just looking at the raw TF numbers and not considering architectural IPC gains (since we are comparing GCN to RDNA) Scarlett/PS5 (@~9TF) still has a ~7x more powerful GPU compared to the OG XB1. If we take architectural benefits/gains into consideration then it's around 8.5x more powerful. And that is not even taking into consideration things like the massively better CPU, more ram, higher mem bandwidth and the fact that they are using NVMe SSDs this time around.

Those mid-gen refreshes are completely meaningless in the grand scheme of things because they were designed to just run games based on the OG hardware (2013 consoles) better.
Right. And I love being told I'm right. Trust me. But we are in a different place IMO. These engines are becoming very scaleable. I don't think as much effort goes into designing around different models of hardware. That's why X and Pro exist. If it were that hard, I don't think we would've seen the massive list of X improvements across not only current gen games but BC games as well
You are really getting this all very very wrong.

The reason 1X/Pro exists is that they have better GPUs. Which means they can run the exact same OG PS4/XB1 games at a "better" resolution. Nothing more nothing less.

Its easy o talk scalability but do you see current gen games being scaled back o run on the PS3/360? Can you see how much has to be cut from current gen games to make it run on the Switch?

Make no mistake when next gen games come along proper (2021) you will see games that would be impossible to make run on the OG current gen consoles and even the CPU will make it impossible to run on the mid-gen upgrades. And again that's not taking into account the SSD.

Its easy to scale thing when all you are doing is tweaking rez and textures, but when at the very core of your game logic your CPU loads even when underutilized are pulling 2x the work that current gen consoles CPUs can do? There is no scaling for that anymore. And when utilized you are looking at like 4-5x the CPU workload in next-gen compared to the current gen. As I said, impossible.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
That's not what I mean. Like, what games would they show? For the actual one hour conference. And who would be up on the stage? A lot of their "cool personalities" are gone. They just have Shawn Layden and like Mark Cerny but Cerny will only show up w hardware
wait do you mean what could they show for PSX in general, or for PSX as a next gen reveal event?
if we are talking about PSX as a PS4 event for the 2020 lineup there is a ton of stuff to show.
most here assume that if next gen will be a part of PSX it will just be a short teaser

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Yup, they are the wrong variables to measure... would have thought that obvious considering you also provided the right variables to measure.

Why compare 360 to XB1 then compare XB1X to Scarlett? It should be OG XB1 to Scarlett/PS5.

Even if we are just looking at the raw TF numbers and not considering architectural IPC gains (since we are comparing GCN to RDNA) Scarlett/PS5 (@~9TF) still has a ~7x more powerful GPU compared to the OG XB1. If we take architectural benefits/gains into consideration then it's around 8.5x more powerful. And that is not even taking into consideration things like the massively better CPU, more ram, higher mem bandwidth and the fact that they are using NVMe SSDs this time around.

Those mid-gen refreshes are completely meaningless in the grand scheme of things because they were designed to just run games based on the OG hardware (2013 consoles) better.
Because we live in a world where those game consoles exist and game engines are becoming increasing scaleable across all hardware.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
wait do you mean what could they show for PSX in general, or for PSX as a next gen reveal event?
if we are talking about PSX as a PS4 event for the 2020 lineup there is a ton of stuff to show.
most here assume that if next gen will be a part of PSX it will just be a short teaser
I mean for a PS4 event. You'd have to imagine that the big two remaining exclusives won't be shown. Just a bunch of indies then?

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA

How do you think the PS4/XB1 GPU ->PS5/Scarlett GPU leap compares to the PS3/360 ->PS4/XB1 GPU leap?

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
new question, do you think TGA this year will feature a next gen game reveal? i mean with in game graphics, not CGI trailers like this E3.

On one hand if they, like MS, could show off a snipped on Horizon Zero Dawn II. On the other hand they still have current gen spectacles like TLoU II and Ghost of Tsuhima in their pipeline with unannounced release date. Given that PS5 is said to be feature BC, it will not deal a great blow to the latter two either way.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
On one hand if they, like MS, could show off a snipped on Horizon Zero Dawn II. On the other hand they still have current gen spectacles like TLoU II and Ghost of Tsuhima in their pipeline with unannounced release date. Given that PS5 is said to be feature BC, it will not deal a great blow to the latter two either way.
i was talking about next gen game reveal from a third party actually, not exclusive.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Yeah if Phil is smart he would just hold it until E3 2020. That way there's less time to have a PR disaster
Hmmm.... you really seem to have a knack to just get things backward.

If you are considering a PR disaster? then you are better off having it early than late. MS would have been fin with the XB1 if they had their PR disaster in feb/March 2013 then would have been able to right the ship at E3 2013. As opposed to having it at E3 2013 then lack any future stage to show that corrections have been made. Which is exactly what happened to the XB1. They set everything right that they could have before launch, it didn't matter though because at the biggest gaming stage the error was made and too late into the timeline. By the time they lanched five months later, there were still people that thought the XB1 couldn't play used games or required you to be always online.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
i was talking about next gen game reveal from a third party actually, not exclusive.

Unlikely given there is zero incentive before the HW is publicly announced. E3 2020 will be the place where we will see them especially if the devs have supposedly learned from a ton 'Downgrade' controversies that were highlighted at the earlier phase of current gen. First generation games of a new generation are developed on a moving target pertaining to HW; devkits get revised until final specs can be fully nailed down.

Of course the only exception here is Stadia. Given their release schedule, contractual obligations may necessitate some devs showing off 'next gen' games on it.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Hmmm.... you really seem to have a knack to just get things backward.

If you are considering a PR disaster? then you are better off having it early than late. MS would have been fin with the XB1 if they had their PR disaster in feb/March 2013 then would have been able to right the ship at E3 2013. As opposed to having it at E3 2013 then lack any future stage to show that corrections have been made. Which is exactly what happened to the XB1. They set everything right that they could have before launch, it didn't matter though because at the biggest gaming stage the error was made and too late into the timeline. By the time they lanched five months later, there were still people that thought the XB1 couldn't play used games or required you to be always online.
Technically the debacle/disaster started in May

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
How do you think the PS4/XB1 GPU ->PS5/Scarlett GPU leap compares to the PS3/360 ->PS4/XB1 GPU leap?
If looking purely from a TF numbers perspective, about the same. Bt its not just about TFs. There are a lot of other things that play into it that TFs alone doesn't even begin to cover. Eg, in adition, to have around ~7x the GPU jump, we are also getting ray tracing. Also getting at least 2-3 time the usable RAM and it's over 8x as fast (if looking at the XB1) and at least 3x as fast if looking at the PS4. It big. And this is just looking at RAm and GPU.
They've been shown like 2-3 times a piece
not running on the PS5 they haven't.
Technically the debacle/disaster started in May
Semantics. It was a week or so before E3. And come E3 they didn't hang anything but just made it worse. And after that there wasn't any other opportunity t make the changes public or take center stage.

The point still stands though, if you are gonna fuck up, then do so early... at least you have a chance to either correct your original messaging or build on top of it if it was well received.

Status
Not open for further replies.