• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

grosbard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why people are arguing already. We all know that no matter what happens or who has the better conference and reveals, Sony will win by default as it always has on this forum going back years, even back to the other *cough forum.

You'll see in a few days that I'm right, Mark my words!!

I see this all the time. Why don't people just say gaf? Insecurity?

Feb 10, 2018
⚠️Wishful thinking ahead ⚠️

Brad Sams screwed it with the perf multipliers.

It is instead *drum roll*:
Lockhart = 4x Xbox One S (5.59TF)
Anaconda = 2x Lockhart (11.19TF)

What a nice coincidence with my prediction 🤣🤣🤣

I thought he meant 2 x 1X = anaconda.
So 12 gcn tflops would be 9.6navi tflops

Also 4 x 1s with NAVi would be 4.8tflops because of the 1.25x ppc

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
What I find hard is that, despite the myriad of benefits fast IO brings being explained to him over and over again he keeps ignoring and/or downplaying it. Always "I don't see the big deal with faster loading times" even after it has been explained how vital IO is for most things.

Why is he continually down on it even when it has been explained rationally and logically to him that it could provide huge benefits to almost all aspects of game design and especially open worlds?

I get the impression, that the minset would be very different if the feature was exclusive to next gen XB platform.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I am surprised I get so many (serious) responses on a comment that begins with "⚠Wishful thinking ahead ⚠"!
But I love it! 🕶

Last edited:

GhostofWar

Apr 5, 2019
I am fascinated that bunch of people expected they won't have to pay full price and buy new games in order to stream them and that they can get new AAA blockbusters on some ~ $10/month streaming service.

Expecting some aaa new releases included with the sub does seem somewhat feasible. MS and EA are doing it with their 1st party titles in their subscription things.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
After ps3, better RAM, and the PS4 tools were more mature is not needed? If u remembered how they market ps4, they use ps3 as disadvantage and claim ps4 will better it and developing for ps4 will be breeze. He worked with most developers and got feedback. He bought changes in making ps4 and it was one of ps4 success. Same as what happening on Ms, if they successfully bring 1st party games for next gens, Phil is game changer for them because that what xbox community wants now.

If the spec are same, that is good for all. That's it. It is more inportant what are the games and services they offering.

revolutionizing gaming is pr talk, I understand that. Lets wait for another 3 days to see if she is giving the man credit or pure pr
1.You want something revolutionary? That was Cell (difficult to deal with) and Xenos (first unified shader graphics card on any platform).

2. Microsoft's emphasis on gaming comes from upstairs. Phil Spencer finally is answering to someone that believes in gaming as opposed to someone that never invested in it. Shane Kim, Peter Moore etc had the backing of Microsoft in the 360 era, and they invested a lot in games, including Japanese titles that never pushed sales in the market they were designed for. That games will come is not a question of if, but rather when.

3. Lisa Su is a businesswoman. She will praise both parties in public, any opportunity she gets.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Of course-it sounds reasonable only if Google is publisher and fully finances game development (just like MS,EA etc.)

Yep anyone that thought 3rd parties were going put there games there day 1 for sub money were kidding there self.
As rich as google is there not going to eat that cost because it damn a lot of money .

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Unless the SATA controller will be built into the APU itself, there will always be the option of using these lanes for SSD in addition to the SATA drive.
I would also imagine that this part of the APU on both PS5 and Xb4 will be somewhat standard as in copied from Zen2 as is and the only way there wouldn't be enough of PCIE lanes is if they won't be traced from the chip to the board physically.

PCIe comes from the IO die, not the CPU chiplet. Xbox almost certainly won't use a standard issue IO die.

I know you all will love this, but especially anexanhume if I understood some of his comments correctly ...

tenor.gif

They're going to get their asses handed to them by xCloud/gamepass if that's seriously their strategy.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
This tread is so depressing with all the non-experts expressing opinion as fact...it needs something new and meaty to chew on!

Y'all just now catching up on Anthony Hopkins? Come on, son. Dude's been steady twisting words since these threads started.

No, it's just we all need to learn to read better.

I know that this is a personal opinion but hey his design of the pro was everything but not revolutionary. Probably this have to do with their BOM....but he only designed two consoles 1 that gone agasint the mattrick og Xbox with the Kinect .....and the other against Panay X...he won easily the first round and lose badly the second one . This will be the first time where cerny and Panay will start from scratch I can't be more excited to see both fighting

Lost badly based on what metric exactly?

What did Mark Cerny do that was vastly better than what Microsoft did this generation? He chose better RAM, and the PS4 tools were more mature. That was the only thing that was different between the two companies when it came the base consoles.

Yeah, that's the only difference!

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
PCIe comes from the IO die, not the CPU chiplet. Xbox almost certainly won't use a standard issue IO die.

tenor.gif

They're going to get their asses handed to them by xCloud/gamepass if that's seriously their strategy.
Jez just told me that this information was leaked beforehand the stream in 2 hours. I have asked for a link and maybe he comes back to me so I can shre it here. If it is a real leak Stadia may be DOA indeed.

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
1.You want something revolutionary? That was Cell (difficult to deal with) and Xenos (first unified shader graphics card on any platform).

2. Microsoft's emphasis on gaming comes from upstairs. Phil Spencer finally is answering to someone that believes in gaming as opposed to someone that never invested in it. Shane Kim, Peter Moore etc had the backing of Microsoft in the 360 era, and they invested a lot in games, including Japanese titles that never pushed sales in the market they were designed for. That games will come is not a question of if, but rather when.

3. Lisa Su is a businesswoman. She will praise both parties in public, any opportunity she gets.

OK bro

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Last edited:

Jyrii

Oct 27, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
I wonder if Stadia will get any exclusive games. With subscription AND need to buy games, I would think no publisher would give the exclusivity unless they pay a shit ton of money.

Maybe they have internal studios though.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Hw design (size , loudness etc)
Power (cpu,gpu,ram,memory bandwidth, etc)

But won on time to market and price so it really depends on your metrics doesn't it? It's why the X vs Pro arguments are kinda silly - if the X was released at the same time and price as the Pro it would probably be similar in power and vice versa.

Which is mainly the reason most of us believe Anaconda and the PS5 will be fairly similar in terms of RAM, CPU and TF - they're all dealing with very known quantities. If they release at a similar time and for a similar price it is unlikely there'll be a large difference - they're both going to be using Zen 2, Navi and have HBM, DDR4 and GDDR6 which they can each evaluate. There is no "secret sauce" there to give one a huge advantage over the other.

It's the custom hardware that may differentiate, if there is any.

Nov 12, 2017
BH
Hardly surprising considering it released a year later with a significantly higher price!
Like is hardly surprising that ps4 was more powerful because good part of the boom was for the integrated Kinect? We should stop to find excuses .listen...to cut it fast I said in fact ...in a post before this that this time will be interesting because we have Panay (on who I blindly bet..after I seen what he produced on the entire surface line and both the s and x xbox) and cerny who was the supervisor for PS4 and the pro. Let's see who will do better )

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
anexanhume
Silenti

Stadia detailed leak

kotaku.com said:
The upcoming streaming platform Google Stadia won't just follow the Netflix model, as many fans had hoped. It will instead have both a subscription and games for sale individually, as Kotaku previously reported, and the whole model sure sounds convoluted.

Stadia, which was announced in March, is a streaming platform designed to let you play games without a high-end console or computer. If it works as promised, it'll let you pop a Chromecast into your television and access games through the cloud, no hardware required.

Google plans to release pricing and software details at 12pm ET today, but the news has leaked out early thanks to Canadian newspaper La Presse, which was pre-briefed. A rough translation of the article reveals that:

• There will be a base subscription available when Stadia launches in November, for $11.99 Canadian per month. This one will give you access to some Stadia games at 4K resolution/60FPS.
  • Other games—newer ones, especially—you'll have to buy.
  • In 2020, Google will launch a "Stadia Base" model that's totally free, but only allows you to play games at 1080p resolution.
  • A pricey Stadia Founder's Edition will be for sale this fall ($169 Canadian) that includes a Chromecast Ultra, a Stadia controller, a three-month subscription, and Destiny 2 (which, as Kotaku revealed yesterday, will be on the platform at launch).
  • Doom, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, the new Tomb Raider trilogy, and The Division 2 are also part of the Stadia launch lineup.
Source: https://kotaku.com/google-stadia-pricing-leaks-will-have-both-subscriptio-1835294433

Era thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ru...e-launch-details-line-up.121269/post-21485904

Edit: beaten by FSavage

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol to that stadia service, is that what Sony/Microsoft should be afraid?
Well yeah, its all about the entry price point. $150 is way too high, but they can easily get a $100 version out there with a controller and chromecast.

If a casual looks at that $150 and compares it to the $500 xbox two and ps5, why wouldnt they go with the $150 streaming device?

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How is stadia any different from the expectation of xplay? Offline downloads? I'm sure that'll become available once the chrome browser version is released.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
BH

Like is hardly surprising that ps4 was more powerful because good part of the boom was for the integrated Kinect? We should stop to find excuses .listen...to cut it fast I said in fact ...in a post before this that this time will be interesting because we have Panay (on who I blindly bet..after I seen what he produced on the entire surface line and both the s and x xbox) and cerny who was the supervisor for PS4 and the pro. Let's see who will do better )

But also PS4 was cheaper which offset the Kinect, even with Kinect removed the prices were the same.

I don't doubt this time will be different, but anyone thinking there will be some significant difference in the way the games look (ie resolutions, effects and frame-rate) are likely going to be disappointed. And I suspect that's why Sony have looked to something that could be a real game changer. I'm not saying MS don't have their own game changer/USP (of course), just saying the SSD (or rather their proprietary aspect of it) is likely Sonys USP.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Stadia will get any exclusive games. With subscription AND need to buy games, I would think no publisher would give the exclusivity unless they pay a shit ton of money.

Maybe they have internal studios though.

The exclusive games they will get will be the ones the fund unless we talking about smaller games.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Wait why is google stadia information in here? Streaming has nothing to do with the PS5 or the next xbox.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
People are going to be in for a big shock when Microsoft stops putting their brand new games on Game Pass once the service takes off.

That said, having to buy a console, subscribe AND buy games without the ability to download is really shite and could sink Stadia by itself.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
Well yeah, its all about the entry price point. $150 is way too high, but they can easily get a $100 version out there with a controller and chromecast.

If a casual looks at that $150 and compares it to the $500 xbox two and ps5, why wouldnt they go with the $150 streaming device?

Because it's streaming which you'd need super fast connection for and in some places you can't get it or it's expensive...and what if your connection is down (etc) !?

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
People are going to be in for a big shock when Microsoft stops putting their brand new games on Game Pass once the service takes off.

That said, having to buy a console, subscribe AND buy games without the ability to download is really shite and could sink Stadia by itself.
The subscription is to get free games a la game pass. You can stream games you purchase without a subscription.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Did you folks read the article that said Jim Ryan (President of PlayStation) in an interview said PS5 is capable of 4K 120Hz. But where it gets interesting is Jim says the SSD is available in the default version of the console. does it mean multiple SKUs?

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
The subscription is to get free games a la game pass. You can stream games you purchase without a subscription.
Sorry I meant for just playing yourself, no streaming, obviously a limitation of a streaming box

Though this will be 100% the case with xCloud and neo-PSNow as well to be fair. The first proper generation of game streaming is going to be a bit rubbish.

EDIT: By the above, I mean xCloud and neoPSNow games not played on native hardware at least

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Did you folks read the article that said Jim Ryan (President of PlayStation) in an interview said PS5 is capable of 4K 120Hz. But where it gets interesting is Jim says the SSD is available in the default version of the console. does it mean multiple SKUs?

It was discussed. We are almost certain PlayStation will have one SKU

Status
Not open for further replies.