Next-gen PS5 and next Xbox speculation launch thread |OT5| - It's in RDNA

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• Total voters

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Pascal was a big leap in terms of performance. Bigger than Maxwel even. It was from that point on that AMD couldn't compete anymore at the high end.
Yes & no, people forget Maxwell was still on 28nm & the 970 despite being much smaller & cheaper to produce, it beat out the large $699 780 Ti. Pascal had to drop to 16nm to achieve this & the 1070 couldn't beat a 980 Ti because Maxwell had better clocks.
AMD have been doing small improvements to GCN for almost a decade & if people are not impressed with Infinite's visuals, you can blame that.

SG-17

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the only time that Sony hasn't had the more powerful console is when they launched a year+ before Nintendo and Microsoft.

See PS2 and the PS4 Pro. Launching at the same time or later has shown a relative parity but still an edge.

Audioboxer

Oct 25, 2017
Like Sony changed the ram in the PS4 I'd be surprised if things cannot be changed for a holiday 2020 release.

MS have more money than Sony so I just can't see them wanting to put out the less powerful console twice after what happened between the PS4 and Xbox One.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
What are the chances of there being an observable difference in rendering capabilities of the two next gen consoles? Everything seems to point to them being nearly identical, and I’m not sure what kind of secret sauce could create profound changes once you’ve passed 4K60. Dedicated ray tracing hardware?

KennyX

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Oct 27, 2017
The World

Doctor Mario

Mar 12, 2019
I think Sony and Microsoft are playing chess right now about final specs, that's why Phil Spencer needed to be careful and not said that will be the most powerful console on the market.

Internally I believe both Sony and Microsoft are working to have at least a slight edge.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, the Vega stuff should be finally put to bed.

When I heard Navi, I smiled and said there it is.

I'm just glad both companies are doing something similar with the SSD. That should make things less complicated for 3rd party devs, AFAIK.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Not as much info on Xbox next gen as I thought we might get. It was pretty much what Sony already said really. I thought they might try to one up Sony here, with that info being out for a while now but nope, nothing.

Sony already has a demo of the SSD tech working with that Spider-Man video, do we think Sony caught MS off guard going with this tech and MS are now trying to catch up ? Similar to the PS4 RAM situation ?

Gamer17

Oct 30, 2017

neptunez

Apr 21, 2018
U do know he has developer friends(which have both now ) and he has been 100% correct when he says something
His association with game developers is not enough.

I wouldn't expect either console to be finalized yet for a 2020 holiday release.

I'd bet the reason hard specs weren't revealed is because they're still trying to negotiate with component manufacturers, while trying to strategically the competition.

i-Lo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I said this about when people were dunking on me for saying 12GB's in PS5 wasn't too bad, the SSD (& compression from Zen/Navi) can make that 12GB go much further, i have no doubt the SSD will help out here.
Likewise. Although I am not brave enough to speculate on the amount of RAM in PS5.

It means they'll be using AMD's HBCC in a way that's similar to the Radeon SSGs - basically, a cache of NAND "extends" the RAM pool and is adressed as if it were RAM, and is usually used as paged memory. The controller then swaps things in and out as needed. Basically allows really huge datasets to be loaded and ready for use.
Sounds like HBCC might be a locked deal for next gen console given its tiered system of memory sensitivity and sole reliance on VRAM. From what I understand HBCC relies on slower system memory (which is still faster than the fastest NVMe on PCIE 3.?) to cache what may be later imported to VRAM.

However, in an UMA scenario, how would that play out unless there is a large enough pool to start off with so that bandwidth and latency issues of storage media is compensated for, should the said media be used as HBCC intends to. This is where I remember the Sony patent eschewing DRAM in favour SRAM (presumably smaller capacity) to pair with the NAND solution.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
He changed it as he is not supposed to say lol but I have him qputed .check my qpute before he changes it
No, go read the whole thread. Neither company is sharing specs for the simple reason specs can change easily.

Just take PS4, they started it with 2GB RAM target, upped it to 4. At the E3 the dev documentation still said 4 GB when they announced 8GB RAM on stage because things changed - in this case RAM prices crashed.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Matt confirmed the reason Phil didn't share specs was the same as Sony's. I honestly don't know what that means. They don't have completely locked specs? Neither want to confirm specs first? *shrug*

Good to see you back around, Matt.

chowyunfatt

Oct 28, 2017
I see the back pedaling from certain people has already begun. What did people really think? These console will be nearly identical. There was never going to be this almighty Xbox conquering vastly superior console.

Some people are really gullible or blinded by corporate loyalty.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
On 'not sharing numbers' - that harks back to the B3D post earlier in the day, suggesting that paper numbers for Navi are not the full story wrt performance, and are possibly not going to be very flattering by way of comparison between this gen and last. If that's true, that would be a good reason why both are numbers shy.

The reasoning is probably not necessarily quite so much about how they compare to each other.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
Cerny has done one over MS again.

If they're not certain anymore that Anaconda beats PS5, it renders Lockhart utterless pointless as why release 2 consoles if they're both weaker than the opposition haha.

Buy this weak machine, or buy this even weaker machine. haha MS are between the devil and the deep blue sea now.

At least they have their combined SSD and solid state drive though hey?
Price.

I've posted this before, but assuming there's only one PS5 then I'd predict a line-up where Xbox Two Lite sits around the PS4 Pro and MS retires Xbox One X.

Then those who are very price-driven or are late to the party have the choice of next-gen or old-gen. And you'd be a fool to pick up a PS4 Pro over Xbox Two Lite.

If accurate, I think it is quite a cunning move.