• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of like the pagefile in Windows only with some funky ssd magic to make it less of a speed issue I guess...

It's ssd-backed virtualization of data and assets in general I guess. In the PS5 'ssd patent' thread I floated ideas of more ambitious rethinking of speed/space trade offs in memory hierarchies next gen if the storage is fast enough. Talk of virtual ram kind of confirms to me that we may be looking at that, which is kind of exciting :)

It would also make the ssd and IO performance a potentially important part of the performance puzzle next gen if the expectation is that games will lean in heavily on the use of storage throughput.

Nov 2, 2017
You can't really do comparisons at launch due to less mature drivers
970>780 Ti
980 Ti>1070
1070 can't match an OC'd 980 Ti in 2019.
It has nothing to do with drivers and everything to do with Kepler aging badly in recent engines & games. A result of consoles having AMD gpus. On older games & engines the 780ti stil beats a 970.

Yes, a 1070 can't match an OC'd 980Ti. I don't see how that's relevant though. A stock 1070 is 10% faster than a 980Ti.

Last edited:

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Sorry but what means "SSD that allows usage as virtual memory"?
Is it better than normal SSD or?
I want to know this too. Using SSD as Virtual RAM too?

Just more PR talking head nonsense.

Its literally just SWAP RAM. Basically, part of the SSD will be sectioned off to be used as a kinda virtual RAM. Its been on PCs forever and its a no brainer that it will be in the next gen consoles especially if you have SSDs. More importantly, this pretty much confirms (or strongly suggests) that we won't be seeing anywhere near 24GB of RAM. Probably more like 16GB-18GB or something like that.

Feb 10, 2018

Its literally just SWAP RAM. Basically, part of the SSD will be sectioned off to be used as a kinda virtual RAM. Its been on PCs forever and its a no brainer that it will be in the next gen consoles especially if you have SSDs. More importantly, this pretty much confirms (or strongly suggests) that we won't be seeing anywhere near 24GB of RAM. Probably more like 16GB-18GB or something like that.

Motherboard shots suggest 24gb

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You the one who's upset, lol, having to make up stuff lol.
You said matt said PS5 is more powerful then scarlett, which he didn't.
I said he semi confirmed .and if u read the thread and the post I posted u can see why I saw it that way before he cleared it up saying both are aiming high. (In the thread about ps5 being mroe powerful he replied : "there is a reason why MS didn't mention TF ;) " . What do u make of that ?

Anyways back on topic.

Hope we get more info tomorrow at AMD briefing

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Specs are looking good for MS, i'm curious of how sony would beat that.

Still the halo trailer really dissapointed me, as they showed it was for next gen but it looked worst than cyberpunk and others they showed on current gen. I really hoped for a open scene trailer for next gen and not a current gen game look a like in a spaceship. I hope they will do something lile nintendo direct and share new footages of next gen games

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
For me personally it's not really important as I'll buy both systems, however I will say that the group of people I play with only have and will buy one console. I get asked all the time if there's something known about when the next console will arrive and which one will be the most powerful.

These are people that have switched before from Playstation to Xbox and then back. It basically seems to go in a pattern; me and 1 or two others in the group buy a console at launch based mostly on which is most powerful and then the rest follows in the months after.

I really think that being the most powerful matters more than most like to admit and it really helped Playstation a lot this gen.

Feb 10, 2018
I wonder how each platforms ray tracing implementations will differ.
We now know scarlett will have hardware accelerated RT, I wonder if that something amd is working on or something more custom form ms?

Oct 25, 2017
Specs are looking good for MS, i'm curious of how sony would beat that.

Still the halo trailer really dissapointed me, as they showed it was for next gen but it looked worst than cyberpunk and others they showed on current gen. I really hoped for a open scene trailer for next gen and not a current gen game look a like in a spaceship. I hope they will do something lile nintendo direct and share new footages of next gen games

Sony could beat it by being more opaque and misleading with their power comparisons.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
What it means is that they performed same benchmark on both and Scarlett performed 4x better than X in that specific scenario. What exactly was that test? We have no idea.

This! Thank you! The metric for is unknown. However, to many folks who are not tech savvy or technically minded and were sold Scorpio with "6 TF" as primary marketing push, this would indeed be, to put it kindly, confusing especially given they also specified the performance gains on storage front being 40 times that of current gen machine.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
hw rt, probably 384bit 24 gdd6, ssd, 4x xonex perf and they still not sure that will end up faster than ps5, nextgen consoles sounds really good ;)

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
So we can finally kill the Vega for Xbox rumor? And the rumor that Sony has exclusivity to Navi? Because those were both dumb.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Except remote play doesn't work with all games as far as I know. Xbox remote play will work with all games (including BC ones) on any device that supports xCloud, much better proposition than Sony is offering.

Shareplay doesn't work with all games. Remote play does and we been doing it since vita. If there was ever a time for the what year is this.gif it would be now.

Feb 10, 2018
I said he semi confirmed .and if u read the thread and the post I posted u can see why I saw it that way before he cleared it up saying both are aiming high. (In the thread about ps5 being mroe powerful he replied : "there is a reason why MS didn't mention TF ;) " . What do u make of that ?

Anyways back on topic.

Hope we get more info tomorrow at AMD briefing

No he didn't, please stop with this nonsense.

Lol more lies, you clearly said matt confirmed PS5 is more powerful.

Matt confirmed in other thread that ps5 is more powerful btw for your reference

Edit : he did but he just changed it to "yea" lol

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
So as a recap for Scarlett,

CPU: latest Zen 2
GPU: latest Navi
RAM: GDDR6
Storage: SSD (to be used as virtual RAM)
RT: hardware accelerated
Supports: 8K, up to 120fps, VRR

Did I miss anything else?

Nothing specific was said about SSD outside of its use as virtual RAM. Im gonna guess Sony's is better only because it was demoed and had a bit more info on it.

Im assuming Xbox using Dolby for the audio. Let's see how that measures up to Sony's 3D audio tech.

I am curious as to why MS didn't specifically say 8-core Zen 2.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
For me personally it's not really important as I'll buy both systems, however I will say that the group of people I play with only have and will buy one console. I get asked all the time if there's something known about when the next console will arrive and which one will be the most powerful.

These are people that have switched before from Playstation to Xbox and then back. It basically seems to go in a pattern; me and 1 or two others in the group buy a console at launch based mostly on which is most powerful and then the rest follows in the months after.

I really think that being the most powerful matters more than most like to admit and it really helped Playstation a lot this gen.

If they are roughly the same power and price then Playstations more global following will probably be the difference, we should still see scenes of germans kicking the shit out of each other on day 1.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Lol e3 did nothing but made it worse .at least before e3 I was more sure anacando will be stronger.now I m doubting everything haha
I have no idea about Ps5 performance, but with 672GB/s bandwidth the next Xbox performance range is what I expected.
12 - 14TF was my range for Anaconda.

You know the RAM configuration was shown?
12* this:

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
They said nothing of 2 sku, ram or gpu.

Best we have right now is 4x X, which is 24tf.

8-10tf believers should be eating crow about now :)

Edit: shots fired with "eat monsters for breakfast" Hahahahaha direct at Sony

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
What it means is that they performed same benchmark on both and Scarlett performed 4x better than X in that specific scenario. What exactly was that test? We have no idea.

no one knows how Microsoft go that number. they could be factoring in cloud computing, which would be a stupid move on their part but saying 4x is a mistake itself. sure it probably gets sony wondering wtf and will make this thread interesting in the coming months but because the final unit wont be 4x an X(TF wise), there will be people complaining it's downgraded or Microsoft lied no matter what.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
Anyone else think the Halo graphics were a little underwhelming for next gen?

The lighting was great (ray tracing in action) but aside from that I could almost believe it's current gen.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The issue is that halo didnt looked any better as all most current gen aaa titles. It needs to lift the bar in realistic gfx somethin more like this https://youtu.be/J3ue35ago3Y ingame, otherwise it will be just current gen with high res

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
Finally a lot of the bullshit that has plagued these discussions for months has been put to rest and the anaconda powerhouse dream is over.
Both consoles will be based around the same key amd technologies. I doubt there will be meaningful differences as both companies are totally aligned on the same priorities (Zen CPU, Navi GPU with ray tracing and fast load times with SSD). To get a significant power difference a significant price difference would be required but it seems both are targeting the high end in the same way.
On this matter....what about the Lockheart SKU? Did they decide just to focus on their top model to make headlines for now or they scrapped it or maybe it simply didn't exist?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
They said nothing of 2 sku, ram or gpu.

Best we have right now is 4x X, which is 24tf.

8-10tf believers should be eating crow about now :)

Edit: shots fired with "eat monsters for breakfast" Hahahahaha direct at Sony
24TF is impossible, it's 4x because they are counting the CPU improvements, it's the same marketing as "the highest quality pixels"

Status
Not open for further replies.