• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So Halo is next gen too, but anyone find the graphics disappointing for a next gen game? It's great for current gen and other games are already look as good if not better.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
My reaction to this conference in a Nutshell
3ec3dCF.png

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Can't help but be disappointed. I joked about it in the conferences thread, but all MS did was basically announce the PS5. It was literally everything we already knew about the PS5 without anything new to differentiate Microsoft's take. Combined with that tweet above and, well....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much what I expected. Same amount of detail Sony gave.

- Zen 2.
- Navi.
- SSD based loading.
- Ray-tracing.
- Talking heads video with less specific specs than Scorpio because they don't know full Sony details in advance like last time.
- They are purposing the units for both retail use and streaming.

Things I wasn't expecting:
- That they would confirm RT is hardware based this early (I thought specifics wouldn't be until full spec announcements).
- I didn't realise Xbox didn't have a remote streaming thing like PS4 remote play (I could have sworn that they already did).
- Nothing on multiple Scarlet consoles - maybe they end up announcing it as a "one more thing..." announcement when they do full XB2 launch.
- Halo stuff was much, much shorter than I was expecting.

Their choice of using "the same team that made the worlds most powerful console, the same team that ______," etc etc was a smart move because it lets them imply they have most powerful hw without having to commit to the statement if they aren't sure.

Last edited:

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am more focused on the CPU this time around. We can get so many cool open world games with that extra power!

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Interesting that the PS5 might take the power crown back, i was thinking i might have to wait for a possible 5.5 refresh for PSVR2.

Mar 6, 2018
From all the official info we got, both consoles might actually be very similar in performance.
Well, a year from now we will know for sure.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
What a great conference, and sounds like Anaconda is going to be a beast. Awesome that the confirmed hardware ray tracing.

xolsec

Feb 18, 2018
Is there still hope for Zen 3 and whatever Navi's successors is called to be in the next Xbox?

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
As someone watching this to see what next gen might realistically be I'm sorta underwhelmed, but:

1) Hardware RT? Together with those tweets from the Sony dev that 99% means both next gen manufacturers will have HW RT stuff. Excite!

2) SSD cache and near instant loading, also on both? So third parties will use it. Excite!

Is there still hope for Zen 3 and whatever Navi's successors is called to be in the next Xbox?

Yeah, it's in the secrwt dGPU.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
At the end of the day, both Sony and MS are limited by what AMD can offer them. When you're sourcing near identical parts from the same vendor at the same time, expect performance to be quite similar.

Last edited:

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
Conference was mediocre overall, but I was disappointed in the Xbox Scarlet news. The only thing we learned was a confirmation on GDDR6 and SSD caching.

Maybe it was my stream but that Halo 5 demo was hopefully running in Xbox One X hardware.

Mac Dalton

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"... and it eats monsters for breakfast.. "

Was this line a side blow at the PS5. Monster rumors?

chowyunfatt

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They had one of the biggest stages in the world with all eyes on them and they show a luke luster introduction to next gen with a trailer of cross gen halo.
Not a good first impression IMO.

DNice

Oct 2, 2018
This thread is brilliant! You could see it coming from a mile away, too much hype only for some to be let down by what was a pretty average run of the mill e3 conference.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
So no Zen 3, no acturis net gen AMD GPU that is coming after their still unreleased next-gen Navi GPU. And much more selective wording with regards to performance.

I am shocked.

More interestingly though, did anyone notice how one of the talking head (called it btw) said SSD and storage as if they were two different things?

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
So we basically got nothing on Scarlet.

We got largely what we should have expected. Confirmation of SSD, Navi, and Zen 2. With a bonus reference to GDDR 6.

Frankly, tipping their hand with anything more would likely not have been a wise move unless they were absolutely positive Sony couldn't trump the announcement, and at this point I think nobody is certain of anything regarding their competition. So it remains a careful dance of revealing just a little bit at a time to control the message as much as possible.

I actually thought the press conference wasn't bad. I'm likely to jump in to play the Xbox One titles I missed if they can roll out just a few more titles of interest for this coming generation as well ... but no, there was no knockout blow delivered and the likelihood of doing so was always low. I hope Halo 5 delivers in the story department but frankly, it looked like a solid current generation title rather than something amazing and new. Glimpses of interesting lighting moments, perhaps, but nothing really groundbreaking.

Next year will be when we see the stakes get raised to try to sell the imminent launches. Until then we will get a very slow drip of information sufficient only to fuel pointless sniping between factions.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
lol...Did people doubt Cerny would deliver?

A lot of people were convinced by the X1X that MS are magic.

So that was in engine footage of next gen Halo? Can't say it looked any different to current gen in any way.

More like cross-gen Halo on a high-spec PC. Expect the big boosts to be in lighting and load times come launch.

It was specifically in the context of the CPU.

Wait, really? It sounded like they were talking about the APU, or the whole console.

Status
Not open for further replies.