• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ah, alright. I read it as if it was built into the GPU, not only supported.

Shows me right for trying to understand specs and stuffs. Thanks for the clarification!
Thats ok. TBH, both sides really did not say much and I don't think we will find out for a while but MS did say Hardware based RT from the outset. I am expecting them to do another DF video for Scarlett and go more indepth later in the year...maybe haha.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Damn is Sony going for $599 again? Otherwise you can't be noticeable more powerful as 4x Xbox One X

Neither will be that, at least not in GPU power. That'll be more of an overall performance thing. If the rumours of PS5 being stronger are true, I'm guessing $499, maybe with a loss. Way closer to PS4 than PS3, especially when you consider the time gap + all those PS4s ready to be traded.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Za21Rqo.png

K6HmOxF.png

0oaCtUj.png

Last edited:

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
Wait, really? It sounded like they were talking about the APU, or the whole console.
I'm pretty sure.

At the heart of our next-generation console is our custom-designed processor, leveraging the latest Zen 2 and Navi technology from our partners at AMD. From a pure processing perspective this is 4 times more powerful than Xbox One X.

To me it sounds like the guy is talking about the processor being 4x.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
the halo infinite trailer confirmed my fear.
the xbox one is 100% holding back the quality of the titles.
Diminishing returns is a big thing too, the last big jump we got in GPU technology was from Nvidia Maxwell in 2014 & AMD has been just giving minor improvements each gen for a decade & Nvidia is doing that now too.
There was that article about how how PC gamers would move to Consoles & blah blah & people were claiming that PC doesn't effect the advancements of Consoles, but it very much does, if AMD & Nvidia don't make big leaps, Consoles don't magically get them either.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
ms said hardware rt, sony's is still up in the air. honestly I want to see a split like that. it would make things intreasting if sony had the better gpu, but no raytracing, and ms has a weaker gpu, but rt hardware.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Diminishing returns is a big thing too, the last big jump we got in GPU technology was from Nvidia Maxwell & AMD has been just giving minor improvements each gen like Nvidia is now.
There was that article about how how PC gamers would move to Consoles & blah blah & people were claiming that PC doesn't effect the advancements of Consoles, but it very much does, if AMD & Nvidia don't make big leaps, Consoles don't magically get them either.
i mean... that trailer looked worse than the cod mw trailer graphically.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
how you combine "SSD with a Solid State Drive"? Sounds like cutting edge secret sauce stuff ./s

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I guess the xbox 2 refresh may have the higher end specs rumored? You guys know that will happen again. Sony and ms will do that for their new "slim" models now I bet.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
That doesn't make "SSD & solid state drive" any better.

Well, yes. That was my point. It would have been one thing to say that during live conference and blame it on a slip of tongue but this was one of the engineers.

Anyway, now I am wondering what they actually mean by the SSD being used as virtual RAM cache and the implication of this for load times and visuals.

Also, let's see if one member still keeps on downplaying the potentially tectonic shifting implication the next gen storage media can have on the overall visual presentation of games. Of course, I am not going to remove him from the list.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Sony played it so smart man. They have got MS everywhere. I think that the ps5 will be more powerful

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Well, yes. That was my point. It would have been one thing to say that during live conference and blame it on a slip of tongue but this was one of the engineers.

Anyway, now I am wondering what they actually mean by the SSD being used as virtual RAM cache and the implication of this for load times and visuals.

Also, let's see if one member still keeps on downplaying the potentially tectonic shifting implication the next gen storage media can have on the overall visual presentation of games. Of course, I am not going to remove him from the list.

It will be certainly similar to Intel Optane, Primocache or something else

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017
People quoting the "we've designed" part probably didn't hear Phils next sentence where he said "the ultimate console gaming experience, anywhere". :p

But yea, it wasn't as clear as expected, so let's wait and see.
The tweet from Andrew Reiner is definitely interesting. I know him and some of this tweets, but I don't know if he is a reliable source for rumours. Did he leak some stuff before? If yes, how is his track Records?

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Sorry but what means "SSD that allows usage as virtual memory"?
Is it better than normal SSD or?

Nachtmaer

Oct 27, 2017
So, how long until someone does the pixel counting and puts in the math to work out the die size of the APU?

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
The worst part of the conference for me was when they announced "hybrid cloud" which turns out is remote play just 13 freaking years left.

A lot of people seemed to suggest that Sony was under-exploiting PSNow and that MS/Google have "magic" that will disrupt them over night. That one is dead as well.

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
Unless I'm wrong, what they are claiming in their video is that the Scarlett will be a huge improvement design around fastest loading times and ray tracing in the core, on par with PS5. We'll have another year of drama leaks and "insiders" anyway.

loicperrin31

Oct 12, 2018
France
You heard it. We had a lot of rumors about 2 SKU's with one of them expecting to be Premium and the most powerful. After their conference it is clear as day that there is only one SKU now (Scarlett). The only reason to cancel cheaper device I see that they know they couldn't make Premium console better than PS5 so no point to have both options weaker than PS5 on market.

Jan 17, 2019
They confirmed Ray Tracing, not hardware Ray tracing. Also, MS confirmed GDDR6 Plus some hardware photos like they did with Scorpio (I know it's CG but the ram count was knows ahead because of those renders with Scorpio).

That's news to me, is there a link?

ms said hardware rt, sony's is still up in the air. honestly I want to see a split like that. it would make things intreasting if sony had the better gpu, but no raytracing, and ms has a weaker gpu, but rt hardware.

Well, if you want to take tweet from Naughty Dog dev as proof :

Btw. didn't some dev also said during Xbox conference it's hardware RT in new Xbox?

Nov 2, 2017
Diminishing returns is a big thing too, the last big jump we got in GPU technology was from Nvidia Maxwell in 2014 & AMD has been just giving minor improvements each gen for a decade & Nvidia is doing that now too.
Pascal was a big leap in terms of performance. Bigger than Maxwel even. It was from that point on that AMD couldn't compete anymore at the high end.

Status
Not open for further replies.