• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
The worst part of the conference for me was when they announced "hybrid cloud" which turns out is remote play just 13 freaking years left.

A lot of people seemed to suggest that Sony was under-exploiting PSNow and that MS/Google have "magic" that will disrupt them over night. That one goes to the trash bin as well.

The worst part of the conference for me was when they announced "hybrid cloud" which turns out is remote play just
Says all the Insiders?
Which one? We had dozens of rumors and they also agreed that Xbox was going to be more powerful than PS5 as well.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
So they say the SSD is 40x faster than current HD. How fast is that?

~4GB/s I guess - current gen hdds are around the 100 MB/s mark. Coincidentally or otherwise is the peak bandwidth for a PCI 3 nvme unit... that might be a significant coincidence. However they did seem to suggest it might be a custom engineered ssd.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Za21Rqo.png

K6HmOxF.png

0oaCtUj.png
Samsung-16-Gbit-GDDR6-Speicher-1--pcgh_b2article_artwork.jpg

The 16gb modules at 14gb/s that Turing uses so expect something extremely similar. I believe the Quadro cards with this have 24gb VRAM.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
No 2 consoles. That rumor had been around forever. I'm surprised it made it all the way to E3 with it being completely false.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
So many questions, some I wondered about.

Biggest thing was the 4 times the One X. Either it's combined to equal 4 times like an earlier posts mentioned, or the Lockhart is weaker than expected.

If there even is a Lockhart. I wondered about this or the Anaconda being a mid gen refresh.

We know one thing: it eats monsters. As long as Sony doesn't call the PS5 some scary monster name, Sony isn't doomed.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
i mean... that trailer looked worse than the cod mw trailer graphically.
Darkness really hides flaws. Infinite was well lit up & while Chief looked great, especially how the lighting hit him, you can tell the GPU advancement is just not enough to make people go HOLY SHIT
Advancements are gonna come down to animation more than anything i think, like Naughty Dog will no doubt impress us.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Lol at the people who are butt hurt because they didn't go all out on Scarlett. It's over a year out and this wasn't a console reveal. Expecting more than a X like teaser was only setting yourself up disappointment. Good they killed the Vega bullshit and nailed the coffin on team 2019. That Reiner tweet is inaccurate don't let it poison the thread and no Scarlett is not 24tf.

The conference was good although I'm surprised they didn't have a proper gears trailer as that game looks amazing on x. Gamepass is paying off in a big way(especially if you got in with the $1 ultimate deal) and you're pretty much covered with good content to play until next gen arrives.

I hope Scarlett uses the dark gunmetal like silver and grey from the teaser for console color.

So, how long until someone does the pixel counting and puts in the math to work out the die size of the APU?

Digital foundry will likely do a video on it. They mentioned they were kicking themselves for not looking closer with the X teaser vid because Microsoft gave more clues than they realized.

Oct 25, 2017
People quoting the "we've designed" part probably didn't hear Phils next sentence where he said "the ultimate console gaming experience, anywhere". :p

But yea, it wasn't as clear as expected, so let's wait and see.
The tweet from Andrew Reiner is definitely interesting. I know him and some of this tweets, but I don't know if he is a reliable source for rumours. Did he leak some stuff before? If yes, how is his track Records?

He said that is the rumor around E3. He didn't pass it off as fact.

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've been thinking about the cost of maintaining the fabrication process for two different SKUs right from the get go. Does that mean that economies of scale aren't going to be as good for MS as they could be for Sony?

Obviously there will be some shared parts to help, but I'm expecting different boxes (thus affecting shipping) as well as cooling solutions and such.

Yes, both companies have been doing two SKUs for a couple of years now, but that was after the demand for the OG boxes had normalized and they had good ideas of demand and stuff. Launch could be difficult for Scarlett if one box is in much higher demand than the other but they haven't planned for it?

Also, do you still see MS doing a mid gen upgrade? If yes, do BOTH SKUs get upgrades or just the high end?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Well, yes. That was my point. It would have been one thing to say that during live conference and blame it on a slip of tongue but this was one of the engineers.

Anyway, now I am wondering what they actually mean by the SSD being used as virtual RAM cache and the implication of this for load times and visuals.

Also, let's see if one member still keeps on downplaying the potentially tectonic shifting implication the next gen storage media can have on the overall visual presentation of games. Of course, I am not going to remove him from the list.
I said this about when people were dunking on me for saying 12GB's in PS5 wasn't too bad, the SSD (& compression from Zen/Navi) can make that 12GB go much further, i have no doubt the SSD will help out here.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
One positive I took from the conference is that Phil didn't mention a weaker SKU..I'm guessing (hoping) that the powerful console will be the focus for developers and perhaps the rumored weaker SKU is just a relatively cheap streaming box..or doesn't exist at all.

And yes I realize all the rumors suggest completely otherwise I'm just not a fan of the multi SKU approach at launch.

Oct 27, 2017
Well at least we learned it's not using HBM and isn't a chiplet die(s). I'm surprised by the SSD virtual memory usage. I thought this was generally frowned upon?

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Which one? We had dozens of rumors and they also agreed that Xbox was going to be more powerful than PS5 as well.

Pretty much every MS insider has echoed a 2 console approach since rumors started.

Nothing about the power has changed. We have no idea where the Scarlett consoles sit in relation to the PS5.

TheInsider

Banned
Jun 9, 2019
Cerny has done one over MS again.

If they're not certain anymore that Anaconda beats PS5, it renders Lockhart utterless pointless as why release 2 consoles if they're both weaker than the opposition haha.

Buy this weak machine, or buy this even weaker machine. haha MS are between the devil and the deep blue sea now.

At least they have their combined SSD and solid state drive though hey?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Lol at the people who are butt hurt because they didn't go all out on Scarlett. It's over a year out and this wasn't a console reveal. Expecting more than a X like teaser was only setting yourself up disappointment. Good they killed the Vega bullshit and nailed the coffin on team 2019. That Reiner tweet is inaccurate don't let it poison the thread and no Scarlett is not 24tf.

The conference was good although I'm surprised they didn't have a proper gears trailer as that game looks amazing on x. Gamepass is paying off in a big way(especially if you got in with the $1 ultimate deal) and you're pretty much covered with good content to play until next gen arrives.

I hope Scarlett uses the dark gunmetal like silver and grey from the teaser for console color.
You're still pretending to be an insider?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Matt semi confirmed ps5 is stronger than Scarlett family in other thread btw.

Damnnnn.all that power talk ? Wtf

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Anyway, now I am wondering what they actually mean by the SSD being used as virtual RAM cache and the implication of this for load times and visuals.

It means they'll be using AMD's HBCC in a way that's similar to the Radeon SSGs - basically, a cache of NAND "extends" the RAM pool and is adressed as if it were RAM, and is usually used as paged memory. The controller then swaps things in and out as needed. Basically allows really huge datasets to be loaded and ready for use.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day, both Sony and MS are limited by what AMD can offer them. When you're sourcing near identical parts from the sams vendor at the same time, expect performance to be quite similar.

I've been saying this to the infinite war chest crowd the whole time. There is no AMD secret sauce for them to spend money on.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
I think both consoles will have hardware RT. I think AMD's briefing tomorrow will be really interesting to see now.

Dec 31, 2017
The worst part of the conference for me was when they announced "hybrid cloud" which turns out is remote play just 13 freaking years left.

A lot of people seemed to suggest that Sony was under-exploiting PSNow and that MS/Google have "magic" that will disrupt them over night. That one goes to the trash bin as well.

The worst part of the conference for me was when they announced "hybrid cloud" which turns out is remote play just

Except remote play doesn't work with all games as far as I know. Xbox remote play will work with all games (including BC ones) on any device that supports xCloud, much better proposition than Sony is offering.

iceatcs

Oct 30, 2017
If Lockhart non exists on next E3 then it is likely PS5 near match or runs better than Anaconda.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is only ONE way to guarantee that you will have the most powerful console atm and that is that you aim to sell at a significant price than what you believe the other to sell at. $599 would do it. Don't think Microsoft is gonna aim for that.

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
You heard it. We had a lot of rumors about 2 SKU's with one of them expecting to be Premium and the most powerful. After their conference it is clear as day that there is only one SKU now (Scarlett). The only reason to cancel cheaper device I see that they know they couldn't make Premium console better than PS5 so no point to have both options weaker than PS5 on market.
Pretty much. I don't know why they though they'll be able to pull it off because it appears they're using an APU. If they were using some sort of MCM, they could have ramped up the specs (for a price), but using an APU pretty much gives them the same ceiling as Sony has.

Also - using an APU pretty much means that consoles will be very, very close as there are physical limitations for 7nm APU design and price/performance. Introducing hardware RT automatically means sacrificing a part of the raster silicon.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They said where "we" will set the benchmark in console gaming, last year.
So ppl trying to set up this false narrative that MS are back peddling are looking pretty stupid.
Matt confirmed in other thread that ps5 is more powerful btw for your reference

Edit : he did but he just changed it to "yea" lol

Last edited:

TheExecutive

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, yes. That was my point. It would have been one thing to say that during live conference and blame it on a slip of tongue but this was one of the engineers.

Also, let's see if one member still keeps on downplaying the potentially tectonic shifting implication the next gen storage media can have on the overall visual presentation of games. Of course, I am not going to remove him from the list.
It would be mostly stupid to use even an SSD as a cache for RAM. I thought they said virtual memory- which would be well... you know... paging.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
So guys, what if Anaconda and Lockhart were never a thing. It would explain a lot because what they showed today was neither one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.