• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Matt confirmed the reason Phil didn't share specs was the same as Sony's. I honestly don't know what that means. They don't have completely locked specs? Neither want to confirm specs first? *shrug*

Good to see you back around, Matt.

chowyunfatt

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I see the back pedaling from certain people has already begun. What did people really think? These console will be nearly identical. There was never going to be this almighty Xbox conquering vastly superior console.

Some people are really gullible or blinded by corporate loyalty.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
On 'not sharing numbers' - that harks back to the B3D post earlier in the day, suggesting that paper numbers for Navi are not the full story wrt performance, and are possibly not going to be very flattering by way of comparison between this gen and last. If that's true, that would be a good reason why both are numbers shy.

The reasoning is probably not necessarily quite so much about how they compare to each other.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 more powerful than Anaconda?
sohWhy9.jpg

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018
Cerny has done one over MS again.

If they're not certain anymore that Anaconda beats PS5, it renders Lockhart utterless pointless as why release 2 consoles if they're both weaker than the opposition haha.

Buy this weak machine, or buy this even weaker machine. haha MS are between the devil and the deep blue sea now.

At least they have their combined SSD and solid state drive though hey?
Price.

I've posted this before, but assuming there's only one PS5 then I'd predict a line-up where Xbox Two Lite sits around the PS4 Pro and MS retires Xbox One X.

Then those who are very price-driven or are late to the party have the choice of next-gen or old-gen. And you'd be a fool to pick up a PS4 Pro over Xbox Two Lite.

If accurate, I think it is quite a cunning move.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No, go read the whole thread. Neither company is sharing specs for the simple reason specs can change easily.

Just take PS4, they started it with 2GB RAM target, upped it to 4. At the E3 the dev documentation still said 4 GB when they announced 8GB RAM on stage because things changed - in this case RAM prices crashed.
Gpu do.not change that easy due to tdp heat and many other reasons as changing going changes many things

AverageFisk

Oct 30, 2017
Hopkins making a hard U-turn, I see.

It's looking likely the consoles will be pretty much equal in power. Now it comes down to games and services.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
People arguing about power now just seem insane to me. So if we assume both release holiday 2020, that probably means the consoles are not even finalized.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Take rumours with a grain of salt folks, there was about 50 things that didn't come true today.
I don't think Sony can make much of a better GPU, because AMD can't make a much bigger Navi fit in a SOC.

Instead we should be talking about if Scarlett has 24GB's of GDDR6 & DDR4??? cause otherwise some of that GDDR6 will be reversed for the system.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Matt confirmed the reason Phil didn't share specs was the same as Sony's. I honestly don't know what that means. They don't have completely locked specs? Neither want to confirm specs first? *shrug*

Good to see you back around, Matt.
Because this shit isn't locked yet, both parties are trying to outmaneuver each other, and anyone who tells you they know the answer to this question is lying to you, period.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hopkins making a hard U-turn, I see.

It's looking likely the consoles will be pretty much equal in power. Now it comes down to games and services.
He is having semi hard attack lol at least now we r allowed to say ps5 might be also powerful without him and Kaylee attacking us with 399 stick and 8tf lol

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think scarlet will be more powerful but at this point there both gonna look beautiful. I'll never not own every console ever again. Give me those fresh new boxes. It's been long enough

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a total ignorant in terms of hardware, so I'll probably say something totally wrong, but for what I've read about the PS5 and saw today at Xbox's conference both consoles look like to be very similar spec-wise. What I really want is the PS5 to be a silent console. Really, I'm playing RDR 2 on my Pro and every time I pause the game and go back to it the sound it makes is similar to an Airbus taking off.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
As far as insiders and most powerful console, I think we can lighten up a bit.

Aims to be and intended were mentioned, and some of y'all try to tell ppl this.

If anything, some posters shouldn't have took it as definitive, gospel. Everything is speculation until officially revealed.

Dismissing the PS5 as possibly being more powerful was interesting tho, lol.

We still don't know until the specs are officially revealed.

cjn83

Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Scarlet is probably 4x the X overall. Probably 4x CPU / 2x GPU / 2 x RAM / 4x RAM bandwidth / 8x HDD bandwidth.

He said "from a pure processing perspective" though??? I really don't know what to make of that. It surely can't mean 24 TF? A GPU at 10 TF with a low precision RT hardware part at 14 TF or... what?

Dec 31, 2017
I see the back pedaling from certain people has already begun. What did people really think? These console will be nearly identical. There was never going to be this almighty Xbox conquering vastly superior console.

Some people are really gullible or blinded by corporate loyalty.
At this point in time no one knows for sure what will happen. Neither Sony or MS can claim most powerful console because they don't know what the competition has. So at this point claiming you are the best and and not being in the end would hurt your brand more than being humble. Even if MS would have said 14TFlops of power we still wouldn't know if that is better than what Sony has or not. The pictures showing the RAM at least kind of confirm 24GB of GDDR6 so it will be interesting to see if Sony matches that.

As for the Halo showing, game definitely looks great, and it is cross gen, although imo it looks ahead of what we've seen so far. This early in a gen it makes sense to release crossgen as fans will all buy Scarlet to play the definitive edition of the game, and with people on Xbox One it'll most likely make the player pool huge and guarantee huge sales of the game / an insane amount of gamepass subscription.

Halo sold the OG Xbox, and it'll guarantee early success of Scarlet at retail.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Because this shit isn't locked yet, both parties are trying to outmaneuver each other, and anyone who tells you they know the answer to this question is lying to you, period.
Thanks Matt for clearing but now we can at least suggest ps5 can also be powerful without being attacked by few MS fans and their 8tf stick haha

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

I'm just happy the PS5 will be in the same ballpark, MS aren't going cheap by the looks of it, so it's all good.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Both consoles are going to be the exact same specs, the only difference will be whatever MS/Sony want to over or under clock their consoles, just like this gen.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

I'm pretty sure Mark Cerny recreated this famous Crash Bandicoot commercial but at MS' headquarters instead of Nintendos. He stood outside of the Scarlet design team's building with a megaphone just yelling the PS5's design specs and calling them out.

Hey Halo boys! Anaconda men! Your worst nightmare has arrived!
Pack up your stuff. I got a little surprise for ya right here! What do you think about that?
We've got ultra fast SSD. Powerful AMD chipsets.
How's that make ya feel buddies? Feeling like your days are numbered?

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Like Sony changed the ram in the PS4 I'd be surprised if things cannot be changed for a holiday 2020 release.

MS have more money than Sony so I just can't see them wanting to put out the less powerful console twice after what happened between the PS4 and Xbox One.
Yes. I expect MS to overclock their Scarlett GPU until they have a slight edge over PS5 GPU. They'll make a bigger box, put more money on the cooling and the PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.