• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So at least we can safely assume Sony isn't settling for 8tf console ? As Matt said they r both trying to outdo each other in the TF war games.

Good for us as gamers haha

Nov 2, 2017
970 despite being much smaller & cheaper to produce, it beat out the large $699 780 Ti.
Nope. Atleast not at launch, but Kepler aged badly.

1070 couldn't beat a 980 Ti because Maxwell had better clocks.

And nope.

Better clocks? What? Do you mean it OC'd better than Pascal because that's true but Maxwel doesn't have better clocks than Pascal.

Maxwell was pretty unusual. Such a jump on the same node didn't happen often in the past either. Most big performance jumps are from node jumps. The fact still remains that Pascal was a bigger jump in performance than Maxwell. Pascal was very impressive. It was a bigger jump than we've had in a long time. Bigger than 480 -> 580, bigger than 580 -> 680, bigger than 680 -> 780Ti & slightly bigger than 780Ti -> 980Ti.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
As far as insiders and most powerful console, I think we can lighten up a bit.

Aims to be and intended were mentioned, and some of y'all try to tell ppl this.

If anything, some posters shouldn't have took it as definitive, gospel. Everything is speculation until officially revealed.

Dismissing the PS5 as possibly being more powerful was interesting tho, lol.

We still don't know until the specs are officially revealed.

Especially when we're so far away from their release date.

joe_zazen

Oct 25, 2017
On 'not sharing numbers' - that harks back to the B3D post earlier in the day, suggesting that paper numbers for Navi are not the full story wrt performance, and are possibly not going to be very flattering by way of comparison between this gen and last. If that's true, that would be a good reason why both are numbers shy.

The reasoning is probably not necessarily quite so much about how they compare to each other.

If the consoles are less than 2X the tf of x1x, neither is going to use TF in marketing.

Oct 25, 2017
Who is Andrew reiner

Means nothing.

Look I have a tweet too.

Let's be honest dude, you're gonna agree with whoever says the console you prefer is going to be stronger. That's all this thread really is. Fact is none of you know and no one else knows 100 percent. That's why posting this type of stuff and taking it as fact is hilarious. It's fun to speculate, but when people take it and run with it as a guarantee is where it's a joke.

Just like people taking what "Insiders" in this very thread have said and running with it as a sure thing. I mean there's got to be some type of critical thinking at some point.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
That almost sounds like the two consoles will be closer thatn PS4 and Xbox One, it would be crazy if this thing was purely down to customization and management of clocks and thermals.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This will balance the discussion. No more getting laughed at for suggesting ps5 could me stronger. Seems they'll be very very close.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Seems a huge failure by insiders that there's only one Xbox console.

And did I hear correctly...MS hitting 24tf? Goddamn!!

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Because this shit isn't locked yet, both parties are trying to outmaneuver each other, and anyone who tells you they know the answer to this question is lying to you, period.
No doubt this is the reason Sony no-showed at E3. Force MS to show their hand, real at least as much as Sony did for Wired.

Honestly, it was well played by MS, they could have done worse, and showed their hand, where Sony could then 1up them. Now we are back to a waiting game for specs.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Because this shit isn't locked yet, both parties are trying to outmaneuver each other, and anyone who tells you they know the answer to this question is lying to you, period.

Times like these I wonder what the conversation between Doctor Lisa Su and both parties individually is like. Trying to placate both parties that are aiming for highest realistic performance within (presumably) similar price points.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Welcome back Matt!

No word at all about Lockhart was surprising? anexanhume what do you make of that?
It would just muddy the waters. People want to hear about next gen because they care about powerful new hardware. And if you can't show games, then you can't show that Lockhart will look good too.

Remember Phil said "consoles" last year at E3 in reference to next gen.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I think we can put HBM2 to rest :p it's GDDR6 for everybody. HBM2 makes no sense for anything beside compute and scientific use cases. It's been evident it gives no advantage to AMD in gaming and the new Navi cards are shipping with GDDR6 as well. The poll is crazy :p

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
"This is Project Scarlett, the most powerful and highest-performing console we've ever designed" ps5 > anaconda confirmed ;)

ImGumbyDammit

Banned
Nov 25, 2018
Can't help but be disappointed. I joked about it in the conferences thread, but all MS did was basically announce the PS5. It was literally everything we already knew about the PS5 without anything new to differentiate Microsoft's take. Combined with that tweet above and, well....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OK if they just said the same things then you should be able to answer these simple questions about the PS5 specs. Not expectations or guesses but, actually official words from SIE or Cerney

Is the PS5 ray tracing that Cerney mentioned hardware or software based (or both)?
Is the :PS5 a heavily customized Ryzen 2, or just the standard a semi-customized CPU (APU) that consoles usually have , or just a standard Ryzen 2?
Is the PS5 memory GDDR6 or HBM2 based or some combo HBM2/DDR4 or GDDR6/DDR4?
Is that PS5 fast loading do to smaller cache based nNVMe configuration along with large full-on SSD or just a special designed drive or a some caching static drive with a standard drive?

I can answer them all after this E3 light reveal on the Scarlett but can you do the same about all Sony has confirmed about PS5? If you already knew about these answers it should be an easy quiz to pass, shouldn't it?

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
It would just muddy the waters. People want to hear about next gen because they care about powerful new hardware. And if you can't show games, then you can't show that Lockhart will look good too.

Remember Phil said "consoles" last year at E3 in reference to next gen.

Make sense,yeah.
Do you think they might axe Lockhart completely as some people suggested?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Nope. Atleast not at launch, but Kepler aged badly.

And nope.

Better clocks? What? Do you mean it OC'd better than Pascal because that's true but Maxwel doesn't have better clocks than Pascal.

Maxwell was pretty unusual. Such a jump on the same node didn't happen often in the past either. Most big performance jumps are from node jumps. The fact still remains that Pascal was a bigger jump in performance than Maxwell. Pascal was very impressive. It was a bigger jump than we've had in a long time. Bigger than 480 -> 580, bigger than 580 -> 680, bigger than 680 -> 780Ti & slightly bigger than 780Ti -> 980Ti.
You can't really do comparisons at launch due to less mature drivers
970>780 Ti
980 Ti>1070
1070 can't match an OC'd 980 Ti in 2019.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

Yeah, makes sense. It is a bit of a shame they feel the need to outmaneuver each other these days as more than ever most people are committed to one or the others ecosystem and short of a massive difference in power or price, nothing is really going to change many minds.

Oct 25, 2017
Willing to bet the consoles will be close enough in power that any difference will be so small as to matter only to those that feel personally invested in DF analysis video victories.

Nov 30, 2017
Rmember when the PS4 was more powerful but people thought the Xbox One games looked better because the graphics popped more due to default high contrast settings?

Or when people claimed they couldn't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p at the start?

And that was with a 30% difference. This time it will be pretty much on par, maybe a minimal power advantage but watch people jump at anything to make their electronic better.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, when they said, "4 times the power of X" and knowing that 24TF would simply be quite impossible within the bounds of console constraints, I was very, very confused as well.

What it means is that they performed same benchmark on both and Scarlett performed 4x better than X in that specific scenario. What exactly was that test? We have no idea.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I think we can put HBM2 to rest :p it's GDDR6 for everybody. HBM2 makes no sense for anything beside compute and scientific use cases. It's been evident it gives no advantage to AMD in gaming and the new Navi cards are shipping with GDDR6 as well. The poll is crazy :p

Doesn't it draw less power and generate less heat? If these savings afford a GPU upclock that GDD6 doesn't afford that woukd make for a gaming advantage. I'm still noton board the HBM train but I'm looking at scenarios where one party can pull ahead and by whcih mean it can pull ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.