• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
The cost could be countered by the possibility of it lowering over the gen. Eat it now and reap the benefits later.

It probably is unlikely. I just don't think we can definitively rule it out. Things have already happened that only a few expected to happen.

Not to mention that, as has been stated so many times, the rumour is not that PS5 will have HBM2 instead of GDDR6. The HBM2 is only supposed to make up a third of the RAM. The rest is DDR4, which I believe is considerably cheaper than GDDR6 (how much cheaper is it, anyway?). If we then take into account what the rumour said about buying cheaper rejected chips and using InFO_MS to improve those chips and avoid the interposer cost, along with what you said about the HBM2 dropping in price quicker over time, would this solution really cost any more than 24GB of GDDR6? And if it did, would the cost be a huge issue given the space savings and the extra power that could be allocated to the GPU?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Why did Anexanume defect from team HBM2 to team GDDR6.
When did u classify hbm 2 as completely false.i remember u were considering it before.what happened ? I probably missed something
Kyoufu and anexanhume, it just occured to me that I must be misunderstanding the point of your ban bet.

Are you both betting on HBM, and if right you take a ban? -- cuz that's how I first read it -- which of course in hindsight doesn't make sense.. lol

Or are you betting against HBM and if you're wrong you take a ban?

LOL. I was never team HBM, look at my poll choice. I was promoting the most technically viable alternative for discussion to make things interesting. I stated at the time that HBM2 plus quad channel DDR4 seemed to defeat the purpose, and I still believe that.

Kyoufu is wagering a ban on no console using HBM.

My wager was that at least one console will have 10TF. FWIW, his wager is safer than mine IMO.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
After reading the matt booty interview about the goal to release a First party game every 2 3 months on game pass , I kinda got the feeling that MS is done with AAA games .AA games released quickly is their model due to nature of gamepass (and their recent studio acquisitions also shows samething kinda, small AA studios).

Isn't that a bit alarming to Xbox gamers ?? AAA games take 4 to 5 years minimum . And sacrificing quality for quantity should not be objective of the platform holder.

Anyways this doesn't speak well to me but hey I haven't been their target audience since 2011 so maybe Xbox gamers are fine with this .

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
After reading the matt booty interview about the goal to release a First party game every 2 3 months on game pass , I kinda got the feeling that MS is done with AAA games .AA games released quickly is their model due to nature of gamepass (and their recent studio acquisitions also shows samething kinda, small AA studios).

Isn't that a bit alarming to Xbox gamers ?? AAA games take 4 to 5 years minimum . And sacrificing quality for quantity should not be objective of the platform holder.

Anyways this doesn't speak well to me but hey I haven't been their target audience since 2011 so maybe Xbox gamers are fine with this .
they will still have 2 yearly AAAs with your forza +halo/gears/fable, but i expect the rest of the games to be lower budgeted 2.5A yea.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017

They have 15 studios now and aim to have a few more over the next few years. If they plan to release a new game every 2-3 months that's 4-6 games a year. That gives a dev 2.5 - 3.75 years to make a new game on simple average, if they stick with the same 15 studios... some studios will obviously produce more games and some will take longer. I don't think this changes anything; they just have more studios.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

Untrue.

Let me just share a few examples.

2014: - 4 AAA calibre games. ( Halo 2 Anniversary is a remake packaged with MCC )
  • Forza Horizon 2
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  • Kinect Sports Rivals
  • Sunset Overdrive
2015: 3 + 1 AAA game. ( ROTR counts, it shows MS was willing to sign timed-exclusives to increase their exclusive library )
  • Forza Motorsport 6
  • Gears of War Ultimate Edition
  • Halo 5: Guardians
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
2016: 3+1 AAA ( Another one as per 2015 )
  • Dead Rising 4
  • Forza Horizon 3
  • Gears of War 4
  • Quantum Break

And if we look at examples above - we can see situations where MS had different plans for 4 games per year. QB was supposed to be 2015 before it got delayed.
2016 was supposed to have Crackdown 3 and Scalebound and we both know what happened to it.

MS's AAA output only declined in the past 2 years, and they're clearly doing all they can to go back to 2014/15 level output with their acquired studios.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France

They haven't so much AAA at the moment either.
Forza doesn't need 4-5 years, so it will continue to exist.
That let Gears and Halo, and they will continue.
Most of the studio they bought can't do AAA.
So nothing will change, but you will have more games.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
LOL. I was never team HBM, look at my poll choice. I was promoting the most technically viable alternative for discussion to make things interesting. I stated at the time that HBM2 plus quad channel DDR4 seemed to defeat the purpose, and I still believe that.

My wager was that at least one console will have 10TF. FWIW, his wager is safer than mine IMO.

I think we will both survive, but yeah my bet is much safer.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
But why assume they'll keep clocks at PC level?
I'm not assuming that at all, I'm going with a conservative estimation of 1600-1750 for a chip with more CUs than 5700XT has.
And on the contrary, I don't fully understand why people here think that a wider part with lower clocks would consume less than a narrower one with higher clocks - all examples we have in PC space show the exact opposite of that.

Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention that, as has been stated so many times, the rumour is not that PS5 will have HBM2 instead of GDDR6. The HBM2 is only supposed to make up a third of the RAM. The rest is DDR4, which I believe is considerably cheaper than GDDR6 (how much cheaper is it, anyway?). If we then take into account what the rumour said about buying cheaper rejected chips and using InFO_MS to improve those chips and avoid the interposer cost, along with what you said about the HBM2 dropping in price quicker over time, would this solution really cost any more than 24GB of GDDR6? And if it did, would the cost be a huge issue given the space savings and the extra power that could be allocated to the GPU?
Mhm, good points. I think folk are overlooking the role DDR4 plays in all this.

I think the advantages HBM gives with space and GPU power are worth it.

Right, it seems Halo/Forza/Gears will be the obvious mainstays while the rest buffer the lineup with AA content. These new studios are not equipped to deliver a big AAA experience yet. I think MS will attempt to nurture them toward that though. It makes sense to start small and see who can grow into something more.

Of course, consistently released smaller games meshes well with GamePass. So, I also wouldn't be surprised if MS just keeps these new studios doing that for a long while.

It will be interesting to see it play out.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Right, it seems Halo/Forza/Gears will be the obvious mainstays while the rest buffer the lineup with AA content. These new studios are not equipped to deliver a big AAA experience yet. I think MS will attempt to nurture them toward that though. It makes sense to start small and see who can grow into something more.

Of course, consistently released smaller games meshes well with GamePass. So, I also wouldn't be surprised if MS just keeps these new studios doing that for a long while.

It will be interesting to see it play out.
They also have Fable, the Initiative and Rare, who will do AAA stuff. And i could see Ninja Theory and Obsidian develope some AAA games.

PunkMilitia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel the community need to discuss this whole 8k thing. There is no way we will see games running 8k/60fps out of these predicted specs, unless some form of checkerboard system is in play.

Either that, or games won't graphically improve and just get res bumps for each console.

XB S - 800p/60fps
XBX - 1800p/60fps
XB3 - 8K(checkerboard)/30fps

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

They're currently building at least two new AAA studios giving them at at least 5 studios currently working on AAA games. Releasing a game every 3 months means 4 games a year, and with Xbox having 20+ teams all 4 games could be AAA. So no, it's not alarming at all if you actually take a second to think about it.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the community need to discuss this whole 8k thing. There is no way we will see games running 8k/60fps out of these predicted specs, unless some form of checkerboard system is in play.

Either that, or games won't graphically improve and just get res bumps for each console.

XB S - 800p/60fps
XBX - 1800p/60fps
It just means they have HDMI 2.1.

Rikimaru

Nov 2, 2017

XB S - 800p/60fps
XBX - 1800p/60fps
There is nothing to discuss. They said PS4 can do 4k before launch and it is technically true.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Only one thing can approve this rumor, only if ps4 refresh is coming around September for 199 !

I think that is something people could possibly guess (plus, the super slim could be delayed). The Samsung EUV 7nm might be a bigger indicator.

How likely will HBM price decrease? People keep saying this as fact, but how accurate is that assumption, or is it just wishful thinking to support the rumor?

Well, it's tough to say since one of the biggest reasons why the price would drop would be a console manufacturer using it. 😉

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
How likely will HBM price decrease? People keep saying this as fact, but how accurate is that assumption, or is it just wishful thinking to support the rumor?
It's unlikely to decrease at all since HBM is not a mass market product. Also HBM's price hike is built into its architecture and can't go away at all - meaning the costly and complex assembly and the need for a separate interposer die which isn't free either.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
So do you guys think Phil's interview with the Verge is bad news for the 2 SKU strategy or you think he's being vague on purpose?

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
At the moment it seems one of them is dead .we don't know if it's anacinda or Lockhart .most probably Lockhart though

His exact words:

"So is Scarlett one console? Or is it like the Xbox One where you have a high-end, a middle class, and a cheaper one?

The video that we showed is talking about Project Scarlett. That's the focus that we have, on that console and hitting that specification. That's the console that we're talking about."

So yeah, looks like Lockhart is either dead or hidden

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me if Lockheart is dead. If you read Brad Sams book on the surface line, MS has killed off hardware very late. I believe it was a surface rat model that literally had consumer units built and packaged and MS pulled the plug on it at the very last minute. Obviously they can't do that for consoles because of dev kits and the fact that making a console is more complex than a surface tablet.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't surprise me if Lockheart is dead. If you read Brad Sams book on the surface line, MS has killed off hardware very late. I believe it was a surface rat model that literally had consumer units built and packaged and MS pulled the plug on it at the very last minute. Obviously they can't do that for consoles because of dev kits and the fact that making a console is more complex than a surface tablet.

If the rumours are true it would be rather easier since there suppose to be one devs kit for both Ana and Lock .
Plus it's still early so no consoles get made yet and it would just be R&D down the drain .

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

Thanks Chris, but I think the link is broken.

What did Sebbbi say?

RT is not a fundamental component of RDNA. Any more than the RT cores in nVidia's hardware are a fundamental component of Turing - they're not. There are Turing cards without RTX. RT acceleration seems to be a feature orthogonal to the base architecture in both the nVidia and AMD cases.

Both consoles are RDNA. They may be a second, 2020 instance of RDNA that's a bit tweaked vs the RDNA cards this year. That 2020 hw might have RT stuff in it, but there could well be SKUs that don't have it, while still being the same base 'RDNA 2020' arch as the others.There is no distinct 'RDNA/GCN' hybrid - if RDNA has legacies of GCN in it, so will every RDNA going forward.
[/QUOTE

Thank you!

Lol, thanks for the clarification. I got confused when most of the discussion got lost amid the rest of the thread discussion on other topics.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
You guys think there would be issues playing next gen consoles on 1080p tvs? I wonder if down sampling will still be a thing.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
You guys think there would be issues playing next gen consoles on 1080p tvs? I wonder if down sampling will still be a thing.
I don't expect any issues on 1080p sets. By the time of next gen launch they will likely still be used by >50% of console owners and both consoles will have to take that into account.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
D8zXIKRXkAA20Ni.jpg:large

cyberpunk-2077-nvidia-geforce-e3-2019-rtx-on-exclusive-4k-in-game-screenshot-001.png

i hope CDPR patches the PS5/anaconda version for CP2077 with options for 4k60 (or close to 4k, i guess they might not reach native) and 1080p/1440p 30fps ray tracing.

This what I was fearing, no neutral ray-tracing solution like new COD engine which will work on all but a partnership with NVidia RTX instead. Say bye bye to ray-tracing support on next-gen consoles and RDNA 2 GPUs.

Also:
i hope CDPR patches the PS5/anaconda version for CP2077 with options for 4k60 (or close to 4k, i guess they might not reach native) and 1080p/1440p 30fps ray tracing.

What is the purpose of next-gen then if they can't reach Native 4K on a current-gen game then?Have some faith please. :D

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
This what I was fearing, no neutral ray-tracing solution like new COD engine which will work on all but a partnership with NVidia RTX instead. Say bye bye to ray-tracing support on next-gen consoles and Navi 2 GPUs.
What are you on about?
This will use DXR probably (all Redengine games have been DX) - which is vendor agnostic. RTX is just the name for NV's implementation of DXR standard in driver and hardware.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
This what I was fearing, no neutral ray-tracing solution like new COD engine which will work on all but a partnership with NVidia RTX instead. Say bye bye to ray-tracing support on next-gen consoles and Navi 2 GPUs.
i doubt that this actually hurts the chances of a next gen ray tracing. the other way around, it means that by the time the consoles are out they will already have a ray tracing implementation and more than enough time to add it.
if they somehow have exclusivity its probably only for the PC version.
the likelyness of ray tracing on console depends on if they want to commit the effort and if the ray tracing on consoles is good enough.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
i doubt that this actually hurts the chances of a next gen ray tracing. the other way around, it means that by the time the consoles are out they will already have a ray tracing implementation and more than enough time to add it.
the likelyness of ray tracing on console depends on if they want to commit the effort and if the ray tracing on consoles is good enough.
Yup. Console sales dwarf PC sales for just about every multiplat out there. Also consider how little market penetration RTX GPUs have, yet every single next gen console will have RT capability. The big question is whether they do it the same.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
What are you on about?
This will use DXR probably (all Redengine games have been DX) - which is vendor agnostic. RTX is just the name for NV's implementation of DXR standard in driver and hardware.

Plastica-Man please.

I knew you will answer this and insist on this again. Check my previous post in this thread, please:

Well I hope so. they can use RTX solution for NVidia cards and do their own solution for consoles and ATI GPUs, but sincerely I doubt this will happen.
How many games did have a partnership woth NVidia to implement HairWorks for NVidia GPUs, did implement TressFX for consoles and ATI GPUs or at least create an in house solution as good as that? Same for other effects and gameworks. So don't count on that very much.
It's either that or that if there is a partnership with a GPU manufacturer, unless the game company didn't sign one and opted for an universal solution like COD i mentioned

Even if this is what its on paper, it's the decision to the devs of a certain game whether to implement the NV implementation due to a partnership or not sign any partnership and do the general supporting solution like COD.
CDProjektRed chose to do a partnership with NVIDIA like with Witcher 3. So don't expect them to offer a NV solution to consoles and ATI GPUs (obvious) and or offer a replacement solution for the others. A deal is a deal and they have to respect it.
This is purely a marketing agreement and nothing related to how the tech is developed. This is what many aren't getting and this happeend before and will happen.
We won't have ray-tracing on consoles and ATI GPUs for games having partnership with RTX and NVidia unless 2 cases: The company that signed a partnership with NVidia is willing to offer ray-tracing on other platforms than NVidia thus not fulfilling their deal or that NVidia will allow RTX implementation to work on consoles and ATI GPUs (with no hurdle) and both have chances close to none to happen.

Until then, it's a big NO.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Yep RT on consoles going to depend on how much effort Sony and MS put into it.
Hope it's a fair amount so the whole industry can move forward faster .

Status
Not open for further replies.