• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
So basically the latest legitimate info (by the GI editor) suggests PS5 may be more powerful...but there still seems to be a lot of speculation that the next xbox will be more powerful based on what? Neither situation is confirmed in anyway, but it doesn't seem like there is any confirmed insider info to indicate the latter, except for speculation based on uncertainty around the two sku model...

Apart from the most recent tweet by the GI editor, is any think with decent credence that indicates either way? Or is it largely down to speculation orientated to a degree by the preferences of the speculator?

I am sure this is just a diversion. Most of the interesting detective work is simply around working out specs based on info, rather than the comparative stuff obviously.
We don't know what more powerful means necessarily. If the PS5 SSD is faster, is that factoring into their judgement?

The assumption that MS will field a superior machine is many-pronged.

1. Sony had made statements that they want to repeat success conditions of the PS4, which may mean they are targeting a $399 price.
2. MS has a lot of language that suggests they are targeting the best console out there, and they have pushed this angle very hard with the Xbox One X.
3. The two SKU approach allows you to make design decisions that may not ramp in volume as well as some possibilities (e.g. binning of chips)
4. MS has established a level of comfort with a $499 SKU, which would be aided by having a lower priced SKU.
5. MS set the engineering bar with the Xbox One X. They put out a console with 50% more FLOPs, memory and memory bandwidth yet that only draws 10-15W more at the wall than the Pro.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I don't know why mods bothers with SpinningbirdKick.He is a troll.

From when I called him out a while back, I was hit by "He's not a troll, he explained everything he said properly. You need to read!"

I'm sorry, but "predicting" that the PS5 will be 100 dollars cheaper and more powerful than the Anaconda is quite literally trolling.

GameSeeker

Oct 27, 2017
24GB GDDR6 RAM 14Gbps on a 386bit bus has a total bandwith of 672GB/s
HBM2 in a 2 stack (2*4GB) configuration at 1000MHz on a 2048 bit bus has a total bandwidth of 512GB/s
So you still need 160GB/s bandwidth with your DDR4 RAM solution to match GDDR6
And that would be a 256 bit interface with 5000MHz DDR4 RAM (8* 2GB)

HBM makes sense. HBM in combination with DDR4 does not make sense, unless you're okay with less total bandwidth.
And only in that case would you save any significant power savings over GDDR6 only.

If I was the engineer on the project, I would chose 8GB of HBM2 + 16GB DDR4 over a 24GB GDDR6 solution. If you are trying to optimize performance in situations where both the CPU and GPU are fully utilized at the same time (i.e., a typical game), the split memory solution wins, even though on paper the GDDR6 solution has a higher BW number. For the reasons I explained in my prior post, the higher paper number yields lower performance in actual games.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
So one thing I wanted to mention, I've seen people doubt whether Lockhart exists or not, and this line from the Halo Waypoint article stood to me.

And at E3, we're also pleased to announce that Halo Infinite will debut in Holiday 2020 on Xbox One, PC and our next generation of consoles, Project Scarlett.

Specifically the word "consoles".

I know it might not mean much, but hey, it could mean something.
Here's the full link:

www.halowaypoint.com

Discover Hope

<p>E3 is an exciting time for the entire video game industry, but for our team at 343 Industries it also marks a new beginning. Last year we unveiled a first look at Halo Infinite and a glimpse of our new Slipspace Engine; built from the ground up to power the future of our game. This […]</p>

chowyunfatt

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We don't know what more powerful means necessarily. If the PS5 SSD is faster, is that factoring into their judgement?

The assumption that MS will field a superior machine is many-pronged.

1. Sony had made statements that they want to repeat success conditions of the PS4, which may mean they are targeting a $399 price.
2. MS has a lot of language that suggests they are targeting the best console out there, and they have pushed this angle very hard with the Xbox One X.
3. The two SKU approach allows you to make design decisions that may not ramp in volume as well as some possibilities (e.g. binning of chips)
4. MS has established a level of comfort with a $499 SKU, which would be aided by having a lower priced SKU.
5. MS set the engineering bar with the Xbox One X. They put out a console with 50% more FLOPs, memory and memory bandwidth yet that only draws 10-15W more at the wall than the Pro.

1. maybe but most informed people think the tech will have to be $499
2. not so much after the press conference
3. maybe devs don't want this? there was no indication in the press video of 2 sku's
4. see 3
5. a year late obviously gives better tech

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
1. maybe but most informed people think the tech will have to be $499
2. not so much after the press conference
3. maybe devs don't want this? there was no indication in the press video of 2 sku's
4. see 3
5. a year late obviously gives better tech
1. Most tech people thought the PS4 wouldn't be $399.
2. Opinion. I disagree.
3. That doesn't mean it wasn't their going in approach.
5. They are built on the same process and all the technology Microsoft uses would have been available a year earlier.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
2. Opinion. I disagree.
5. They are built on the same process and all the technology Microsoft uses would have been available a year earlier.
Right now my opinion aligns pretty well with yours. I also look to the early estimates of the Scarlett SOC die area based on the render. Potentially going bigger than any current gen console, to me, is a sign they want to be aggressive with this consoles capability.

ImGumbyDammit

Banned
Nov 25, 2018
So one thing I wanted to mention, I've seen people doubt whether Lockhart exists or not, and this line from the Halo Waypoint article stood to me.

www.halowaypoint.com

Discover Hope

<p>E3 is an exciting time for the entire video game industry, but for our team at 343 Industries it also marks a new beginning. Last year we unveiled a first look at Halo Infinite and a glimpse of our new Slipspace Engine; built from the ground up to power the future of our game. This […]</p>

Good catch.

unapersson

Oct 27, 2017

I know it might not mean much, but hey, it could mean something.
Here's the full link:

www.halowaypoint.com

Discover Hope

I'm not sure, "next generation of console" doesn't sound quite right, I think the set described by the word consoles includes everything from XBox to XBox One X.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Oh man, it's so hard to keep up with this thread during E3 AND AMD's full Navi reveal :)

I'm not sure if it was brought up, but I'm pretty sure both Flight Simulator and Halo Infinite used ray tracing in their trailers.
* A very noisy reflection on a curvy surface:
WYt2kkO.jpg

* A very noisy reflection of the chief on the wall:
wB5B3bj.jpg

In Halo it's on a flat surface but it's not SSR, it's very noisy (take a look at the 4K trailer in youtube, you can see the time-stamp in the image and see how noisy it is when the camera moves) and doesn't show occlusion artifacts even though the character is occluding most of the Chief.

chowyunfatt

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So why didn't Microsoft release a year earlier then?

The fact is Microsoft have clever people, Sony have clever people. There both designing consoles for gaming, from the same chip maker, with the same key parts, at the same time and the same goals so I really don't see this assumption that Microsoft will automatically be more powerful.

It's basically going to come down to a few tweaks here and there between the two so it's 50/50. I personally think a lot of people need to accept the fact, (not saying you) that the two next gen machines will be nearly identical.

Services, games and feature will separate them.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I'm not sure, "next generation of console" doesn't sound quite right, I think the set described by the word consoles includes everything from XBox to XBox One X.

The line refers to Project Scarlet as plural. Sure that could be referring to make an eventual X like upgrade in 2025, but I think it's a little premature to talk about that.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
AMD has already stated they're going to target a limited number of RT effects for RDNA 2. I would expect their solution to be more compact.
I fully expect their solution to be less compact actually as AMD has shown time and time again that they are spending more transistors building the same blocks as NV.
Also - RT is not "effects". This slide was misleading in many ways (I liked the "power of the cloud" step there especially). You can have limited use of RT in your scene but you can't limit RT to just some effects - how would that even work?

Liabe Brave

Professionally Enhanced
Oct 27, 2017
Phil Spencer said:
The video that we showed is talking about Project Scarlett. That's the focus that we have, on that console and hitting that specification. That's the console that we're talking about.
I'm not sure why people have been taking this quote to mean Lockhart is dead. To me, it sounds like the exact opposite: indirect confirmation that Lockhart exists. Why say "this is the console we're talking about" unless there was another one you could be talking about?

It doesn't change my point that you do benefit from going wider and reducing clock speeds.
I agree with that point (my posted predictions rely on it!). I was only disagreeing with the specific scenario you used as an example.

Hoping for zero defects at ~250mm2 is likely to have serious yield implications.
Yep, but both the schematic block diagram from AMD and the annotated one anexanhume shared show only 40CUs.

Here's my Anaconda prediction now:

3 shader engines, 6 workgroup processors, 1CU pair per SE disabled - 54 total CUs. 1500MHz. 10.4TF.
If you want to quit ResetEra, just do it. You don't owe anyone anything.

Microsoft has never been shy about getting people into their ecosystems with free trials. 6 months is way too aggressive. but even 1 month trial to gamepass (two weeks feels short) could be a big selling point. ...It certainly feels like they could persuade people to buy in early by alliviating day one cost (even if they have to pay it later, little by little, to keep those games).
Oh yeah, for consumers it's very attractive how Microsoft is willing to "split the bill". My point was that their long history of subsidization, across all three platforms to the tune of billions, has shaped perception to the point that cashing goodwill back out is going to be rough. I mean, you yourself think that two weeks of playing multiple AAA next-gen games, completely for free, "feels short"!

Yes, the idea of subscriptions is to draw people in by the initial offering, then keep them around long enough for ROI. And specifically for early adopters the math probably makes sense eventually. The problem I see Microsoft facing is that their services are almost constantly on sale, or in free trial periods, etc--very few people ever seem to end up paying the "regularly" price. They're too accustomed to good deals from Xbox.

And as a generation goes on, the future-purchase value of the people coming to your platform goes down. And their price sensitivity generally goes up (or else they'd have bought in earlier). It's a far from ideal situation. Even without that issue to contend with, Netflix has still encountered problems finding any profit. And Xbox doesn't have nearly as much exclusive content.

What I see recently is Microsoft committing to massive expenditures on their gaming initiatives which require massive scale to make business sense...but I don't see where that scale has materialized (yet?). You can only prime the pump so long before the thing has to run on its own.

Of course, I'm not an expert like Microsoft has working for them, and perhaps Xbox is on the verge of blowing up. Wouldn't be the first time my predictions went awry.

i have no idea what happened here overnight but when i went to sleep we were discussing 11-12 tflops, 56-60 CUs because the Scarlett APU is huge, way bigger than the base PS4, Pro and the X1X. Some estimates are 400 mm2.
That's only 10% bigger than One X. Of course the node shrink will help oodles, but there's also been an increase in the relative complexity and size of AMD's CUs.

I did calculations based on AMD's block diagram for Navi, and it seems ~450mm^2 would be the minimum size for a 64CU part. And that's without accounting for extra RT hardware. That is, a 60 active CU chip is almost certainly off the table.

Consoles with have 3 SEs and 60 CUs. 54 active like Anex said.
My size analysis--though it is if course tentative and unconfirmed--suggests that this configuration would be bigger than the Anaconda chip we've seen. A 54 active CU chip might be possible within that constraint, but it'd have to be two SEs each with more DCUs. An entire new SE requires too much support silicon.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
The line refers to Project Scarlet as plural. Sure that could be referring to make an eventual X like upgrade in 2025, but I think it's a little premature to talk about that.

This was mentioned and discussed heavily in this thread when the article came out.

Cliffs: "of" makes it a nothing statement. "our next generation OF consoles" = we have made many consoles, and this is next.

For it to mean what you imply it means (multiple consoles), it needs to read "our next generation consoles"

As unapersson points out, "next generation of console" is grammatically odd at the least, if not plain poor grammar.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
This was mentioned and discussed heavily in this thread when the article came out.

Cliffs: "of" makes it a nothing statement. "our next generation OF consoles" = we have made many consoles, and this is next.

For it to mean what you imply it means (multiple consoles), it needs to read "our next generation consoles"

As unapersson points out, "next generation of console" is grammatically odd at the least, if not plain poor grammar.

I figured it would have been discussed, people here are like spies.
It's probably just a mis or weirdly worded statement, but it's enough for me to think Lockhart is currently still on the table.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
You can't look at past history and say neither company won't want to more powerful system .
They both want it , the question of who is going to come down to many factors that you can make a case for both companies.
Either way they should be close which going to make everything else matter even more.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
2. Opinion. I disagree.

On 5) I don't think that's true at all. Phil Spencer indicated that they had a spec for 2016 but shelved it. The extra year would have been very helpful in achieving the clocks at a given yield rate, that were a large part of Scorpio's improvement over the Pro. I think as much as time, cost was a factor too. The investment in cooling helped a lot with clocks obviously too. They also spent more die space, and omitted some features to pack more cus into that space. Cost would allow them more leeway on the larger die size and higher clock speed vs yield rate.

I think if you gave the Sony team the same timeframe and same unit BOM, you'd have had much the same outcome. Perhaps a little less raw flops in order to accommodate rpm etc. It would be wrong to say Pro vs X is and apples to apples opportunity to compare engineering talent.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
So why didn't Microsoft release a year earlier then?

The fact is Microsoft have clever people, Sony have clever people. There both designing consoles for gaming, from the same chip maker, with the same key parts, at the same time and the same goals so I really don't see this assumption that Microsoft will automatically be more powerful.

It's basically going to come down to a few tweaks here and there between the two so it's 50/50. I personally think a lot of people need to accept the fact, (not saying you) that the two next gen machines will be nearly identical.

Services, games and feature will separate them.

Because they didn't start designing it until a year later.
I fully expect their solution to be less compact actually as AMD has shown time and time again that they are spending more transistors building the same blocks as NV.
Also - RT is not "effects". This slide was misleading in many ways (I liked the "power of the cloud" step there especially). You can have limited use of RT in your scene but you can't limit RT to just some effects - how would that even work?

The implication from the slide is that they'll recommend using RT for a limited set of effects, and the size of the enhancement will be reduced meaning less overall capability.

chris 1515 has also done a good job showing Sony's interest in kd trees. I believe AMD is interested in that method too.

Finally we add 4 traversal units (TU) to each core. Each unit is accompanied by a small register file holding just enough rays to hide cache hit latency. The 4 units in a core share a small node cache.
With this example platform we have a peak throughput of 176 billion traversal steps per second. Keeping in mind that on GPUs all vector instructions consume FPU issue slots, the traversal units provide the equivalent of 4.4 TFLOPs ad- ditional performance, yet occupy only 4-8% of current ALU die area.

On 5) I don't think that's true at all. Phil Spencer indicated that they had a spec for 2016 but shelved it. The extra year would have been very helpful in achieving the clocks at a given yield rate, that were a large part of Scorpio's improvement over the Pro. I think as much as time, cost was a factor too. The investment in cooling helped a lot with clocks obviously too. They also spent more die space, and omitted some features to pack more cus into that space. Cost would allow them more leeway on the larger die size and higher clock speed vs yield rate.

I think if you gave the Sony team the same timeframe and same unit BOM, you'd have had much the same outcome. Perhaps a little less raw flops in order to accommodate rpm etc. It would be wrong to say Pro vs X is and apples to apples opportunity to compare engineering talent.

This seems to presume I'm implying there's a difference in capability. I thought it was clear there was a difference in intent. That very intent is the premise of believing a difference in design objectives exists in the first place.

Last edited:

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
If MS had canned the Lockhart, wouldn't they tell people about it?

In all interviews I read they never could give a firm answer, which makes me think the goal is to keep it hidden, while pushing the WHOLE of Scarlet has a premium product.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017

In all interviews I read they never could give a firm answer, which makes me think the goal is to keep it hidden, while pushing the WHOLE of Scarlet has a premium product.

Tell people? As in consumers? Did they ever officially say a 2 console approach was coming?

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
My size analysis--though it is if course tentative and unconfirmed--suggests that this configuration would be bigger than the Anaconda chip we've seen. A 54 active CU chip might be possible within that constraint, but it'd have to be two SEs each with more DCUs. An entire new SE requires too much support silicon.

Maybe you can do some exact calculations rather than spitballing it?
2x64 bit phy are around 10.45mm.
Central logic with 40 CUs, Rops, and ACE area is ~140mm
Display engines and IO at the bottom won't be scaled.

So with 60CUs (210mm) and 10 GDDR6 controllers, we're at ~260mm. Might be a little over since ROPs and some other pieces might not need to be scaled.

260mm GPU + 70mm zen2 = 330mm. There is still 30mm left over on a 1x sized die for special sauces and IO.

b3da034.png

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, it's so hard to keep up with this thread during E3 AND AMD's full Navi reveal :)

I'm not sure if it was brought up, but I'm pretty sure both Flight Simulator and Halo Infinite used ray tracing in their trailers.
* A very noisy reflection on a curvy surface:
WYt2kkO.jpg

* A very noisy reflection of the chief on the wall:
wB5B3bj.jpg

In Halo it's on a flat surface but it's not SSR, it's very noisy (take a look at the 4K trailer in youtube, you can see the time-stamp in the image and see how noisy it is when the camera moves) and doesn't show occlusion artifacts even though the character is occluding most of the Chief.
I was thinking Halo was using ray tracing when it looked like there was some ray traced ambient occlusion in effect.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
We are a;ready on the edge of what can possibly be squeezed into an APU - how will they get RT hardware in there? Are we thinking it's more an extension of existing CUs, so each one is a little fatter for the extra features? Rather than dedicated silicon

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
It wouldn't make sense to talk about future (~2023) mid-gen upgrades, since the website lists what platforms Halo Infinite will debut in 2020:

"Halo Infinite will debut in Holiday 2020 on Xbox One, PC and our next generation of consoles, Project Scarlett."

This definitely gives the impression that MS is still going to launch both Lockhart and Anaconda simultaneously. This was a good finding Splander.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Wouldn't that mean no unified memory for the CPU and GPU? A feature Mark Cerny advertised as a highly requested dev feature and a big advantage of the PS4 ?
Yes, its sought after.... or was.... but it's not anymore more complicated than every single game made for the PC. It's only a problem when you do have enough RAM to begin with, and you have a system as complex as the PS3.

If you have enough DDR4 ((at least 8GB for the CPU) and at least 8GB HBM for the GPU.... devs aren't going to have any problems with RAM. Even in a unified pool all RAM is addressed anyways.

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Now thats one game I would be there day one for on new Xbox, Microsoft's conference didn't really interest me with what they showed but that looked incredible, especially if they can pull off what it looks like their trying to do.

Can only imagine how good that will look and feel on a 60" Tv next gen

EDIT:' Sorry for double post my internets jumping all over the place

Yeah. For me it was the highlight of their show. Looked Incredible. If next gen Looks anywhere near that good i will be more than pleased. But i doubt we will get those graphics Even on high end PCs. I wonder if there is anything cloud based in the game (like the environment ir something like that)

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The implication from the slide is that they'll recommend using RT for a limited set of effects, and the size of the enhancement will be reduced meaning less overall capability.
DXR/RTX is used for a limited set of effects everywhere outside of Q2RTX. This doesn't tell us much on how complex or capable AMD's RT h/w may be.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'd say yes, but I don't think Microsoft ever confirmed the existence of two consoles anyway. I thought our speculation was just based off of rumors, and Phil saying "consoles" last E3.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Hmm. That video makes it sound like Infinite is next gen only. With the wondering about the impact of the new CPU on gameplay mechanics specifically, and how things like richer AI and destructibility can affect gameplay. I thought it was coming to XB1 also?

Halo will be 30fps on current gen consoles.

On Xb1. 30fps with dynamic checkerboarded 1080p.
On 1x. 30fps with dynamic checkerboarded 4k.

On Lockhart. 60fps with 1080p RT? CPU headroom might be used for assisting RT.
On Anaconda 60fps with 4k RT.

Might not have RT. I don't expect 343 to be pioneers in rendering graphics amongst the MS studios.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Maybe you can do some exact calculations rather than spitballing it?
2x64 bit phy are around 10.45mm.
Central logic with 40 CUs, Rops, and ACE area is ~140mm
Display engines and IO at the bottom won't be scaled.

So with 60CUs (210mm) and 10 GDDR6 controllers, we're at ~260mm. Might be a little over since ROPs and some other pieces might not need to be scaled.

260mm GPU + 70mm zen2 = 330mm. There is still 30mm left over on a 1x sized die for special sauces and IO.

b3da034.png
All this talk about whats left after adding this or that doesn't really pant the whole picture though.

The OG PS4 was a 328mm2 chip on a 28nm process and sony paid around $121 or 37c/mm2. We have no idea how much a 7nm chip cost.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Yes, its sought after.... or was.... but it's not anymore more complicated than every single game made for the PC. It's only a problem when you do have enough RAM to begin with, and you have a system as complex as the PS3.

If you have enough DDR4 ((at least 8GB for the CPU) and at least 8GB HBM for the GPU.... devs aren't going to have any problems with RAM. Even in a unified pool all RAM is addressed anyways.

Plus the SSD. Crazy read speeds means there's way less RAM being taken up by assets that the system is just guessing you might use soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.