• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the 8GB HBM2 rumour vs the possible 24GB GDDR6; it's worth noting it's not a straight bandwidth comparison of 512GB/s vs 672GB/s:

The HBM solution is filling 8GB @ 512GB/s which gives you bandwidth per GB of 64GB/s, whereas the GDDR solution is filling 24GB @ 672GB/s which gives a bandwidth per GB of 28GB/s. Each GB -- or whatever arbitrary unit you wish to use -- is being moved 2.3x faster.

Whether 8GB at any speed is enough capacity for bandwidth sensitive tasks is of course another question..?

PS5 | HBM2 8GB + DDR4 16GB | Combined UMA

Pros:

• Reduced CPU<>GPU Memory Contention
  • HBM: 2.3x Bandwidth Per GB
  • DDR: Access & Latency Better Suited to CPU
  • Can default to a single memory pool using HBCC (or similar) while providing multiple layers of abstraction/management for further optimisation.
  • Reduced physical footprint, power consumption and thermals which may allow for a slightly more performant CPU/GPU.
Cons:

• HBM: Reduced Overall Capacity for Bandwidth Sensitive Tasks
  • DDR: Only Suited to Low Bandwidth Tasks
  • Flexibility and ability to compete with a single 24GB UMA depends entirely on the effectiveness of HBCC (or similar) or optimisation by devs if bypassed.
  • Increased I/O Complexity

16+16 would be my pipedream and a no brainer if possible! :p
Thanks for the breakdown!

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
I would hope that they would still keep enough memory to support external storage which is not SSD,. Has anyone heard if MS or Sony will even support external storage next gen ?
Microsoft has hinted at externals but haven't said if they will be able to run the newer games. I thought about it and think it will go something like this...

Old gen game no enhancement patch -> can run off of external
Old gen game with enhancement patch + new gen games -> must be installed on main storage
New speed approved externals possibly could run old enhanced + new gen games

There probably will be some kind of background software that moves your most played games to the internal so you won't have to wait for them to transfer over.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
I completely agree. I, after all, have no idea whatever that "keep in memory just in case" size is. But yeah, you are right.... I was able to dig up RAM usage in KZ:SF on the PS4. Back whn they were using only like 4.5GB for games.

wx7XRap.png

KUtFJoh.png
And this is Spider-man's memory setup:
7zr0Ck2.jpg

Unfortunatlly, these don't really help us much :)

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory accusations and multiple previous infractions for trolling
I remember Digital Foundry mentioned hearing a rumor that PS5 would use Jaguar again. I wonder if MS heard the same thing and that was the basis of their confidence regarding hardware. 🤔

I'm pretty sure MS is Digital Fountry's source for PS5 rumors. Same FUD was getting filter through them about the PS4 last year.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
And this is Spider-man's memory setup:
7zr0Ck2.jpg

Unfortunatlly, these don't really help us much :)
HAHA! was just thinking the exact same thing. Well at least I guess we can say next gen it would be easier streaming in over 469MB of textures... and everything could have more detail since the number of textures that can be streamed in could literally quadruple.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Let's speculate on the 2019 Jaguar based PS5 🤔

-3.0Ghz Jaguar CPU?
-Downclocked version of the Radeon VII with less CUs?
-12-16GB GDDR6? 8GB HBM2?
-1TB SSD?

ppn7

May 4, 2019
Did you notice that MS said about the storage solution : SSd used as virtual RAM with HDD. For me it simply means SSD cache solution like intel Optane or Primocache. Using the SSD as cache to boost HDD performance. And maybe some RAM as L1 cache to boost a little more the drive disk

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
MS has been spreading FUD or am I reading these posts wrong?

A Twitter user mentioned Easy Allies questioning whether MS was using controlled leaks, which led to a user questioning whether MS had made a specific leak which happened to have rumored specs for PS5, which led to talk about MS purposely putting out low number specs for PS5. So basically a game of tin-foil-hat-telephone and here we are. Doesn't take much around here.

Oct 25, 2017
Did you notice that MS said about the storage solution : SSd used as virtual RAM with HDD. For me it simply means SSD cache solution like intel Optane or Primocache. Using the SSD as cache to boost HDD performance. And maybe some RAM as L1 cache to boost a little more the drive disk

40X over HDD is possible with Virtual Ram?

Oct 25, 2017

-3.0Ghz Jaguar CPU?
-1TB SSD?
The bottleneck is real.

And to think Sony was on the verge of releasing something like this. MS would have been balling out next gen. Well, than again, 3rd party games would have been gimped because of PS5. So we all would have lost lol.

Oct 25, 2017

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
The bottleneck is real.

And to think Sony was on the verge of releasing something like this. MS would have been balling out next gen. Well, than again, 3rd party games would have been gimped because of PS5. So we all would have lost lol.
The long term ramifications are interesting to think about. Would a mid-gen PS5 Pro in 2023 also have been running a Jaguar with a 20TF GPU just to ensure continued compatibility? You might have been waiting until PS6 to get the multiplatform baseline to evolve beyond a netbook CPU from 2013.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Phil called it a PS5!!! :D

EDIT. In the Giant Bomb stream

Also callout to the people who nitpick his wording in the past, lol

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017

-3.0Ghz Jaguar CPU?
-1TB SSD?

The 2019 PS5 probably would've been navi as navi was supposed to release early last year IIRC. R7 doesn't make sense as it's the top dog AMD card.

Last edited:

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
He says Raw Power is important. He said he knows people picked up on the wording he said but he doesn't know what PS5 has.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Hopefully Sony can put some of that engineering talent into making a quieter console. Fingers crossed. PS4 pro was half assed.
That'll only happen if journalists press on them about this, hardly any of them bring it up with them in interviews or in their own reviews etc. And if they do it's the day one noise which obviously will.be quiet but test again in a year of use and see if it turned loud af

Oct 25, 2017
Phil's answer is quite diplomatic. He doesn't know the target specs but PS5 dev kits have been out for a while, and I'm sure he and the folks at Xbox have an inkling as to where it's currently at.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom
"the perfect balance between the CPU and GPU that we've never seen on a console before"

Glad the GPU for the Scarlett is good and perfectly balanced to match the Zen2 CPU with the any bottlenecking, regardless of teraflop.

This will be a perfectly balanced machine in every corner of the box with no cut backs, not under-powered in any way.

Glad to hear after having nearly 7 years of a mobile CPU and meh GPU.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
BTW, this was the controlled leak i think. They got a lot of things right and they assumed the PS5 was going to be 8 tflops. Is this before or after the first gonzolo leak? This was in January. I wonder if MS is responsible for leaking 8 tflops lol.

imgur.com

Next Xbox mysterious leak

24305 views on Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Look at all those crossgen games. i think they were trying to tell us something. ;p

Why does it read like a fanboy kid in high school wrote it?

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
Phil's answer is quite diplomatic. He doesn't know the target specs but PS5 dev kits have been out for a while, and I'm sure he and the folks at Xbox have an inkling as to where it's currently at.

Do you think Phil would lie about something like this? This next gen is about trust. He wants or trust. He wants us to believe in his consoles, studios and services. That trust cannot be built on a lie

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
User warned: personal attack against another member (accusation of astroturfing)
At least Phil is being honest there by admitting he doesn't know what PS5 specs are.

Meanwhile, you've got astroturfers like hmqgg claiming PS5 uses GPU decompression and Anaconda is more advanced.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
"the perfect balance between the CPU and GPU that we've never seen on a console before"

Glad the GPU for the Scarlett is good and perfectly balanced to match the Zen2 CPU with the any bottlenecking, regardless of teraflop.

This will be a perfectly balanced machine in every corner of the box with no cut backs, not under-powered in any way.

Glad to hear after having nearly 7 years of a mobile CPU and meh GPU.
I remember when that term got paraded around in the lead up to Xbox One.

That said, like you said, obviously it'll at least be more accurate this time with much more cutting edge CPUs we're getting this time than the already weak Jaguars paired with the GPUs of this gen, so that's good, but still.

Last edited:

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
The only ones who know what's in the PS5 is Sony and AMD, just like how the only ones that knows what's in Scarlett is MS and AMD. Beyond alpha dev kits that's floating around that doesn't indicate final hardware, the only way to know what's in both the PS5 and Scarlett is to get Lisa Su to tell you. Even the AMD teams working on Scarlett and the PS5 are likely well separated to prevent leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.