• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
2:20

"When we launch Project Scarlett you'll be able to play all of the Xbox One games you own, but in fact four generations of games, this has never been done before,And you'll get all the benefits of the speed and graphical performance upgrades that come with project scarlett"

Did he just confirm enhanced backwards compatibility on the Scarlett?

4K@60fps remasters of 4 generations of Xbox games perhaps?

It's how it already works on the X. If a game has variable resolution it will max out on the X. If it has an unlocked frame rate it will max out.

You get benefits depending upon the game.

Sekiro

Jan 25, 2019
United Kingdom

EGOMON

Nov 5, 2017
Earth
I honestly don't believe that MS and Sony doesn't know about each dev kits and target, I mean both are out with the devs and am pretty sure both of them have good connection and friends developing for both so it's not hard to have an idea about the competition specs

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Interesting:

Google translate:"AMD, the price of RX 5700XT/5700 seems to have been decided just before (there are some things that are TBA as far as I can see)"

Joystick

Oct 28, 2017

So basically it's not running on Scarlett and talked around the performance / specs. Given he said "in game" (provided that means in real time) then it's high end PC.

Quoting myself, here's a transcript:

G: What we saw there that's running on prototype hardware of what Scarlett will look like?
A: Halo Infinite is running in the slipstream engine, that's actually in engine, in game

G: And is that a quality level...
A: That's in game, that's actually in game footage

G: And at the scale that's running on Scarlett hardware?
A: We're working on getting the dev kits out for Scarlett and performance and all that, so I don't think we want to say this is what Scarlett spec looks like quite yet but the nice thing about Scarlett, huge increase in processing power, that's going to enable us to deliver not just native 4K but also 120 frames, we talked about being 40x faster with a solid state drive... so not just graphical improvements

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
MS said hw "accelerated" , no mention of RT Cores??
They said Hardware Ray Tracing. That might be cores, that might be specifically engineered hardware outside of the core that just do RT, who knows! It's Hardware Based, therefore it's the best option for high performance RT.

chowyunfatt

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Like I said, a year and a half of this insanity lol
Lets prey to god then that Sony releases some info around PSX as like you imply it will just be the same conversations repeated every 3 days at least until next E3. The main problem as it seams are "insiders" are just mudding the waters.

I bet the planning discussions on going to the moon were less LOL.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
2:20

"When we launch Project Scarlett you'll be able to play all of the Xbox One games you own, but in fact four generations of games, this has never been done before,And you'll get all the benefits of the speed and graphical performance upgrades that come with project scarlett"

Did he just confirm enhanced backwards compatibility on the Scarlett?

4K@60fps remasters of 4 generations of Xbox games perhaps?
I wouldn't go that far, but it is telling they already moved the BC team on. Scarlett should be able to equal the Xbox One X out of the box because of the shared architectures. They can just brute force it. If they're working on BC now, it's to enhance performance beyond equalling X1X IMO.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Has Richard discussed his info from his meeting with AMD re: PS5 (and maybe Scarlett)?

I am a bit puzzled cause he said he will talk with AMD PR people about next gen consoles,or something like that,right?
I wonder what makes him think AMD will discuss those things publicly...it's odd. Lisa & co. were very careful with their next gen console statements.I can't believe they will suddenly go into tech details without Sony/MS talking first about it.

Nivek

Banned
Apr 24, 2019
They said Hardware Ray Tracing. That might be cores, that might be specifically engineered hardware outside of the core that just do RT, who knows! It's Hardware Based, therefore it's the best option for high performance RT.
Yeah but even software accelerated ray tracing has to run on HARDWARE too.
So seems like RT Cores is the gold standard.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I am a bit puzzled cause he said he will talk with AMD PR people about next gen consoles,or something like that,right?
I wonder what makes him think AMD will discuss those things publicly...it's odd. Lisa & co. were very careful with their next gen console statements.I can't believe they will suddenly go into tech details without Sony/MS talking first about it.

From what Richard said right at the end of the last DF Direct, he and others poured over the slides and how they relate specifically to PS5 and maybe Scarlett.

My immediate thoughts went back to the rumours of Navi being made for PS5. I've always thought that was wrong and more think it was confused because Sony simply started work with AMD on PS5 first.

Hopefully later today we get the video.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I wouldn't go that far, but it is telling they already moved the BC team on. Scarlett should be able to equal the Xbox One X out of the box because of the shared architectures. They can just brute force it. If they're working on BC now, it's to enhance performance beyond equalling X1X IMO.

One would assume the perf 8x Zen 2 cores gives them should allow them to eventually be able to emulate XB360 fully -- so provide a universal emulator that runs every game at full speed.

I guess the eDRAM+ROPs arrangement of the 360 may inject some timing inconsistencies that might still cause issues in some games? I dunno

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I guess the eDRAM+ROPs arrangement of the 360 may inject some timing inconsistencies that might still cause issues in some games? I dunno
I think it's pretty clear most of the hangups are not technical but licensing (in terms of number of available titles). On tech side the uprez method doesn't look to work in a generic manner, but I guess people wouldn't mind giving that up on most titles if it meant access to the whole library?

Feb 10, 2018
Some posters convinced themselves that 14 to 16 TFLOPS consoles were not only possible but very likely for next-gen.

So of course the AMD reveal shattered those dreams.

Imagine auditioning for X-factor after convincing yourself you're gonna be the next beyonce, and then Simon Cowell tell you to "go home, you can't sing!".... imagine the mental trauma lol

I'm sure you already know this.
But ppl wanting 14tflops were talking about GCN tflops.
The 5700xt is more powerful then an RTX 2070 which trades blows with a vega 7 which is a 13.82TFLOP gpu.

So if we do get a 5700 or 5700xt gpu in next gen we will be getting 12 - 14 gcn tflop performance.

So basicly, they did it, sony + ms are going for the high end of most predictions here.

People should be very happy.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I think it's pretty clear most of the hangups are not technical but licensing (in terms of number of available titles). On tech side the uprez method doesn't look to work in a generic manner, but I guess people wouldn't mind giving that up on most titles if it meant access to the whole library?

In the case of a universal platform emulator, I don't think game licenses can even restrict playback. I would guess they can restrict re-sale for a new platform or distribution on new distribution platforms, but games already sold and in public circulation can be played on anything that will run them. So if MS is able to provide an OS-level emulator that makes XB2 behave like a 360, gamers can play what they like on it.

XB1's current BC approach isn't a universal platform emulator though.

The 5700xt is more powerful then an RTX 2070 which trades blows with a vega 7 which is a 13.82TFLOP gpu.

So if we do get a 5700 or 5700xt gpu in next gen we will be getting 12 - 14 gcn tflop performance.

So basicly, they did it, sony + ms are going for the high end of most predictions here.

Sure, but it didn't stop folks meltdowns in this very thread.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
From what Richard said right at the end of the last DF Direct, he and others poured over the slides and how they relate specifically to PS5 and maybe Scarlett.

My immediate thoughts went back to the rumours of Navi being made for PS5. I've always thought that was wrong and more think it was confused because Sony simply started work with AMD on PS5 first.

Hopefully later today we get the video.
Doubt they could reveal concretely something more about the ps5 if not just some of their presumptions.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017

I don't know, certain people were still having meltdowns even with the 5700/5700 XT benchmarks staring them right in the face. I think some are just married to the idea of having double digit TFLOP numbers, otherwise I don't know why anyone would be upset with getting ~2070 performance in a next gen console.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, certain people were still having meltdowns even with the 5700/5700 XT benchmarks staring them right in the face. I think some are just married to the idea of having double digit TFLOP numbers, otherwise I don't know why anyone would be upset with getting ~2070 performance in a next gen console.

Yep. Some posters in this thread basically prove why MS and Sony should go with multipliers rather than tflops for marketing.

We seem to be getting great next gen consoles and some folks still lost their minds over the number.

Oct 25, 2017
All you got to do is put into perspective the games we got this gen with the flops from this gen.

Just think about it.

But just out of curiosity, what is ~2070 performance wise?

Saberus

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Some posters convinced themselves that 14 to 16 TFLOPS consoles were not only possible but very likely for next-gen.

So of course the AMD reveal shattered those dreams.

Imagine auditioning for X-factor after convincing yourself you're gonna be the next beyonce, and then Simon Cowell tell you to "go home, you can't sing!".... imagine the mental trauma lol

Oh shit... lol

Feb 10, 2018

So people would rather have 12 gcn tflops then 8.5 RDNA tflops?
Because that is incredibly stupid, I cant believe people here don't understand RDNA tflops are significantly superior to gcn tflops.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
All you got to do is put into perspective the games we got this gen with the flops from this gen.

Just think about it.

But just out of curiosity, what is ~2070 performance wise?
In AMD terms its between Vega 64 and their top end Radeon VII, probably closer to Radeon VII. In console terms, let's say ~7x base PS4.

So people would rather have 12 gcn tflops then 8.5 RDNA tflops?
Because that is incredibly stupid, I cant believe people here don't understand RDNA tflops are significantly superior to gcn tflops.
It's why if folks are waiting on Sony/MS to give them a TFLOP number, they might be waiting quite awhile. I expect Sony to talk in terms of performance multipliers as well.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
If they can hit an approximation of 13 'GCN TFs' but can't come out and say 13TF because it isn't technically, then they can use a nice clean 10x previous gen, using XB1 as the baseline measure. 10x GPU is a pretty great jump

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
If they can hit an approximation of 13 'GCN TFs' but can't come out and say 13TF because it isn't technically, then they can use a nice clean 10x previous gen, using XB1 as the baseline measure. 10x GPU is a pretty great jump

I have a hard time seeing how that would happen though, considering their new ~10 TFLOP card is going to be $450 alone. Unless we're expecting a huge jump in shaders and prices in the next year.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
The 1.25x GCN number AMD put out there is actually underselling things if you compare it the 2060/2070 benchmarks they used on stage. I'm interested to see reviewers actually get their hands on the 5700/5700 XT though.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Doubt they could reveal concretely something more about the ps5 if not just some of their presumptions.

It might be best guess stuff based on the AMD Navi slides but equally I wouldn't rule out Rich and co also having their own sources for the console hardware side. Having both would now (hopefully) bring things into focus.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I did find it somewhat interesting at least that Microsoft did not specifically mention an 8-core Zen 2 CPU, and there is this note from a Windows Central article today - https://www.windowscentral.com/micr...t-be-best-console-says-xbox-head-phil-spencer:

"There are rumors floating around that Scarlett features a 12-core processor compared to the 8-core one found in the PS5, but nothing has been confirmed yet. As with any such leak, take it with a grain of salt until we receive official confirmation and both parties confirm specifications."

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
GCN evolved a lot over the course of consoles. Vega may not be great, but it's a lot faster than early GCN. They should be able to easily claim 10X X1S.

Status
Not open for further replies.