• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lynux3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I did find it somewhat interesting at least that Microsoft did not specifically mention an 8-core Zen 2 CPU, and there is this note from a Windows Central article today - https://www.windowscentral.com/micr...t-be-best-console-says-xbox-head-phil-spencer:

"There are rumors floating around that Scarlett features a 12-core processor compared to the 8-core one found in the PS5, but nothing has been confirmed yet. As with any such leak, take it with a grain of salt until we receive official confirmation and both parties confirm specifications."
"Hopefully Scarlett will be the most powerful console than the PS5."

It's hard to take this guy seriously.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
what if:

When they made the prediction, it was probably accurate. If up until mid 2018 sony was planning on a 2019 release, MS would've launched a year later with newer hardware ala oneX vs PRO and it would've paid off. Unfortunately AMD announced NAVI is not on schedule, plans fell through and both had to rethink their plans.

I think it's much more likely that Sony had two development tracks, one aiming for 2019 a bit further ahead and one, a bit behind in the dev cycle, aiming at 2020. At least one of companies we work with (not in the gaming sphere, mind you) has multiple dev tracks for most of their major products up to a certain point, I'd imagine something much bigger, more expensive and, specially, as important as PS is for Sony, must follow a similar path.

They wouldnt have said 4x faster in this case but 6x faster.

And if they had a clear "win" over the scant hard info Cerny gave about the PS5, I'd imagine they'd have used it.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I did find it somewhat interesting at least that Microsoft did not specifically mention an 8-core Zen 2 CPU, and there is this note from a Windows Central article today - https://www.windowscentral.com/micr...t-be-best-console-says-xbox-head-phil-spencer:

"There are rumors floating around that Scarlett features a 12-core processor compared to the 8-core one found in the PS5, but nothing has been confirmed yet. As with any such leak, take it with a grain of salt until we receive official confirmation and both parties confirm specifications."
They wouldnt have said 4x faster in this case but 6x faster.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
That said, Scarlett going with 12 CPU cores instead of 8 could definitely explain how PS5 could theoretically be more powerful - more area available to be dedicated to GPU.

I'm inclined to think that'd be overkill, though.

Feb 26, 2018

WindowsCentral trying to damage control. What a sight

Anyway with this in mind. With MS and Sony probably being really close to each other in GPU power what do you think will be the main HW differences between the 2?
I think for Sony its gonna be custom SSD and for MS - more custom CPU.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
"Hopefully Scarlett will be the most powerful console than the PS5."
662ff7dd1c1aa6a5b2068a0b85f9ecaa.gif

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I personally doubt that Scarlett has 12 cores too, but all they said was that there were some rumors out there somewhere about it. There could even be some confusion somewhere because there are some additional dedicated cores for RT or something. The bottom line is that we are all sorting through nothing but rumors and such at this point, so calling out a site and folks that are simply fans of one platform and yet have had some legitimate Xbox info in the past as being "biased" is just laughable. We are all biased toward something, and this thread sure is filled with it all over the place of course :)

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Amazing how they only publish that "rumor" after Reiner tweeted his about PS5 a few days back. Windows Central indeed.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
WindowsCentral trying to damage control. What a sight

Anyway with this in mind. With MS and Sony probably being really close to each other in GPU power what do you think will be the main HW differences between the 2?
I think for Sony its gonna be custom SSD and for MS - more custom CPU.

I actually think that you may be right on the Sony SSD vs. Microsoft CPU thing. I personally would be more in favor of CPU customization on the Xbox side as long as the use of SSD in general on the Xbox side gives the expected dramatic load time differences anyway. I can live with a slight difference in those areas in favor of better processing to maintain frame rate (Spencer mentions this repeatedly when discussing Scarlett) and deal with AI and physics etc.

Jan 17, 2019
I personally doubt that Scarlett has 12 cores too, but all they said was that there were some rumors out there somewhere about it. There could even be some confusion somewhere because there are some additional dedicated cores for RT or something. The bottom line is that we are all sorting through nothing but rumors and such at this point, so calling out a site and folks that are simply fans of one platform and yet have had some legitimate Xbox info in the past as being "biased" is just laughable. We are all biased toward something, and this thread sure is filled with it all over the place of course :)

Yes, they are laughable. Asher Madan is a former ICXM journalist ( that site is dead for 2 years now ). I remember that ICXM also wrote articles about infos from MrXmedia. They can't be reliable in anything.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing how they only publish that "rumor" after Reiner tweeted his about PS5 a few days back. Windows Central indeed.

So in what world does it make sense to flat out float lies about additional power on the Xbox side as a way to combat the PS5 being actually more powerful if you were to believe that tweet and that Xbox believes it themselves? Note that I doubt strongly any 12 core thing, just saying that strategy would be moronic to say the least.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Do you also find it amazing Reiner tweeted that half an hour after Scarlett was introduced in video? Dial down your hate boner.
Not really, he specified that he heard that before the conference. If this rumor he's talking about had any weight to begin with we'd have heard it here by our "insiders" or from sams/warren.

And the Scarlett reveal video was literally just a video version of Cerny's article.

And Reiner didn't hope that one console was stronger than the other like this guy did.

Sloane Ranger

Oct 27, 2017
New Albany
So in what world does it make sense to flat out float lies about additional power on the Xbox side as a way to combat the PS5 being actually more powerful if you were to believe that tweet and that Xbox believes it themselves? Note that I doubt strongly any 12 core thing, just saying that strategy would be moronic to say the least.

I don't disagree with you ... but were you around on NeoGaf last console launch when MS repeatedly exaggerated/mislead in the forums .. just sayin.

Feb 26, 2018
Not really, he specified that he heard that before the conference. If this rumor he's talking about had any weight to begin with we'd have heard it here by our "insiders" or from sams/warren.
They were so fast to react to that ps5 soft reveal. And now they are so silent

I actually think that you may be right on the Sony SSD vs. Microsoft CPU thing. I personally would be more in favor of CPU customization on the Xbox side as long as the use of SSD in general on the Xbox side gives the expected dramatic load time differences anyway. I can live with a slight difference in those areas in favor of better processing to maintain frame rate (Spencer mentions this repeatedly when discussing Scarlett) and deal with AI and physics etc.
Yeah. Something like that. I think that more stable framerate is better than faster loading too. MS and AMD got some CPU partnership going if im remembering correctly so it may be the case here

Metfanant

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, if you're MS it would be moronic, but from basically a fan site? Its par for the course. You were not around in the misterXmedia heyday were you?...not to mention we had actual MS employees on Gaf talking craziness about power gaps, and DirectX, and ridiculous spin.

Last edited:

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
They were so fast to react to that ps5 soft reveal. And now they are so silent

Yeah. Something like that. I think that more stable framerate is better than faster loading too. MS and AMD got some CPU partnership going if im remembering correctly so it may be the case here

Yep, Microsoft and AMD said on stage together at Computex that they got together in Redmond 2 years ago to develop the next generation of Ryzen CPUs together. So I do think that is likely where the Xbox "special sauce" ends up being focused the most.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I don't disagree with you ... but were you around on NeoGaf last console launch when MS repeatedly exaggerated/mislead in the forums .. just sayin.

Yeah, MS has a habit of muddying the waters.

Vide the "4x the processing power" that we now know (kinda sorta) is only about the CPU (or cobbled from a bunch of stats, according to a different source). Make big, ambiguous claim in a very big and visible venue, clarify through smaller, less visible channels. Create rumors and/or let them run wild.

Metfanant

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, Microsoft and AMD said on stage together at Computex that they got together in Redmond 2 years ago to develop the next generation of Ryzen CPUs together. So I do think that is likely where the Xbox "special sauce" ends up being focused the most.
along with the second GPU that they are waiting to activate with a firmware update to really stick it to the Sony Ponies by making them think the Xbox is weaker than it is?...

I'm not saying you are spreading rumors like this, but that is the type of stuff that was being thrown around back at the launch of this current gen by xbox fans talking about "secret sauce." So as a suggestion, while speculation based in REALITY is great, and makes for good conversation and debate on forums, its very easy to find yourself going off the rails.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Yup. Wouldn't be surprised if Grossman replaces him.

Got to say it is a bit scary how much top talent Intel have nabbed in the last couple of years. Everyone else feeding on scraps.

The SoC absolutely has to be locked down by now for both, as Phil Spencer said last night that the silicon gets locked down first. It would be clocks and such that they can mess with at this point.

Right. I've been saying it forever but most think one company can release some specs and the other can just go back and up their specs or have a second 'pill' they can respond with.

Mark Cerny himself said specs are for the most part locked 2 years from release. I guess/assume just tweaks can be done if manufacturing goes well enough.

Even PS5's rumoured 1 year delay wouldn't be near enough time to completely redo the SoC (basically meaning the whole console). I would more believe a 2019 release was a Sony ruse and they were always going to be 2020 than a delay at this point!

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Mark Cerny himself said specs are for the most part locked 2 years from release. I guess/assume just tweaks can be done if manufacturing goes well enough.

Even PS5's rumoured 1 year delay wouldn't be near enough time to completely redo the SoC (basically meaning the whole console). I would more believe a 2019 release was a Sony ruse and they were always going to be 2020 than a delay at this point!

I won't say that it is a ruse more like they have multiple plans.
The new system planing start as soon as the old one is out and there many factors that go into it .
Like tech , how much the PS4 was selling , part prices etc etc .

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
along with the second GPU that they are waiting to activate with a firmware update to really stick it to the Sony Ponies by making them think the Xbox is weaker than it is?...

I'm not saying you are spreading rumors like this, but that is the type of stuff that was being thrown around back at the launch of this current gen by xbox fans talking about "secret sauce." So as a suggestion, while speculation based in REALITY is great, and makes for good conversation and debate on forums, its very easy to find yourself going off the rails.

People can watch the clip starting at the 36:38 mark of this to hear for themselves if they want, but I think that it is very reasonable to think that Microsoft is in a position to go all in on CPU customization on Scarlett using the Ryzen Zen 2 cores.

Nov 2, 2017
How is that the case when a 7+tflop 5700 has the same performance of a 12.6tflop vega 64?
Vega 64 often runs below its advertised clocks so it isn't actualy 12.6 Tflops.

Also Vega 64 performance scales badly with tflops so it has worse performance/tflop than Vega 56. A Vega 56 & Vega 64 with the same clocks perform almost the same despite the difference in CUs for example.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
The new system planing start as soon as the old one is out and there many factors that go into it .

It would make sense to explore and develop a few scenarios and finally double down on one, depending on market conditions and what competitors are doing. Sure, its an investment, but I don't believe that Sony (or MS or Nintendo for that matter) put everything on one horse from the start.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Even PS5's rumoured 1 year delay wouldn't be near enough time to completely redo the SoC (basically meaning the whole console).
Depends on what you mean by "completely". If you're just changing some number of units while the rest of the arch stays the same - same cores, same GPU arch, same IF interconnect, same production process, etc. - then a one year delay is quite enough to rebuild the SoC. You're locked out of any changes about 9-12 months prior to production ramp as this is the time needed for chip going from tape out to the factory through all the testing and metal spins.

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
People can watch the clip starting at the 36:38 mark of this to hear for themselves if they want, but I think that it is very reasonable to think that Microsoft is in a position to go all in on CPU customization on Scarlett using the Ryzen Zen 2 cores.

Well to be fair, Scorpio is a customized AMD CPU that we found out later was basically a higher clocked Jaguar CPU. What is AMD's "latest" Zen 2 CPU? Because that is what was stated in Scarlett video.

Feb 26, 2018
Matt has stated that 2019 was in the plans but changed at some point. Kinda corroborated by how wonky and uneven Sony's event and release schedule have been these last years, almost like they were planning something else.
Makes sense. I remember some insider (Benji maybe) told that Sony moved the release date because of software and ps4 being even more successful that they imagined. Am I remembering correctly?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure all hw manufactures do this. I don't think they ever actually have a singular spec until late into the process, but for much of it they have several options that are viable based on if they want to commit to particular price points, want to launch in a particular timeframe, or options the can change if a supplier isn't able to come through for whatever reason.

The probably do have a "preferred" option, or core set of features they prioritise though.

Edit: pretty much agreeing with what Carn is saying above.

Last edited:

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Matt has stated that 2019 was in the plans but changed at some point. Kinda corroborated by how wonky and uneven Sony's event and release schedule have been these last years, almost like they were planning something else.

Yeah,as we can see now Navi (maybe even Zen2) was not ready for 2019 new console.Plus probably new games/services etc.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Well to be fair, Scorpio is a customized AMD CPU that we found out later was basically a higher clocked Jaguar CPU. What is AMD's "latest" Zen 2 CPU? Because that is what was stated in Scarlett video.

Both Sony and Microsoft will no doubt have customization in their SoC which includes the Ryzen Zen 2 CPU cores. My only point is that there is public on record words by both Microsoft and AMD on Ryzen development work together that likely positions Microsoft very well to do some very interesting custom work in their SoC for Scarlett.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Well Lisa did say that RDNA is clock friendly so there's that to consider too.
Clock friendly or overclock friendly? 5700 base clocks are already well above Polaris, cards navi is replacing. So her claim holds true

I expect 1080ti level of performance in next-gen consoles, is that too much of expectation?

Yes.
I don't know, certain people were still having meltdowns even with the 5700/5700 XT benchmarks staring them right in the face. I think some are just married to the idea of having double digit TFLOP numbers, otherwise I don't know why anyone would be upset with getting ~2070 performance in a next gen console.

We're not getting that in a console. That's a full blown desktop card. As with previous gens, we'll get a slightly cut down version.

How do chiplets work in an APU package? 12 cores = 2 chiplets=2x die space, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.