• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanFodio

Alt account
Banned
May 28, 2019
The system they will put out under a one SKU strategy is unlikely to be the same one they would release under a two SKU strategy.

But they have had a while to think about it already.
Damn. Explains so much.

With the two SKU approach, MS was confident they'd have the most powerful console. After cancelling Lockhart, I think they're aiming for $399 and not $499. The $499 box was probably 12TF. The new box is 8-10TF I'm betting.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Poor Mr. Penello gets his last name misspelled all the time...I've seen like 5 different variations in the last week alone

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
No. These are big companies we are talking about here. They have teams of people who feed their families from thinking about and planning for nearly every eventuality you can imagine and how to work out it. Very little that these companies do is reactionary.

They are not reacting to the competition but to the developers who with all indications were not happy at all with a two SKU approach. If they planned for two but upon seeing reaction changed it to one SKU, that is a reaction. But let's be clear, a good reaction. I would rather that decision than shoving an unwanted SKU down the throat of developers.

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't his job to confirm everything he sees floating around.

No
And floating isn't confirmation.

I mean, it's not my job to confirm or deny any random piece of misinformation being spread online.

But...

Yeah?!
That's the point.
But again, no one said was cancelled until today.
5 OT's of people speculating about Lockhart and Anaconda, 6 months of discussion, no one appears denying the information.
But you're the first saying PS5 has RT hardware few hours after Xbox conference.
But again, it's not your job confirm or deny any information.
I'm fine with this

SPDIF

Oct 27, 2017
Wait what? So people at that time not being aware that it was incorrect information just made it correct information?
If people at the time don't know that information that they thought was correct and up to date was actually outdated, then yes obviously to them it's going to be correct information. I'm not sure why that's so hard to understand.

Have you ever been waiting for some sort of delivery and you get given a specific time that it'll be at your house? If the delivery doesn't show up at that specific time, does that mean that the delivery people at the time of first giving you that information were lying to you and purposefully giving you fake information? No, of course not*. It just means plans change.

*Well, I guess some of them might, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
No

Yeah?!
That's the point.
5 OT's of people speculating about Lockhart and Anaconda, 6 months of discussion, no one appears denying the information.
But you're the first saying PS5 has RT hardware few hours after Xbox conference.
I'm fine with this
I think he's just saying people knew, my man.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
arstechnica technically was the first? to say hw rt for both. matt followed up shortly after.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So, taking into account that PS5 devkits might be stronger than Scarlet devkits, has anyone thought about this for a second, and would it make any sense:

Scarlet: 11 TFlops, less RAM: 399$
PS5: 12.6Tflops, more RAM: 499$

Maybe Sony will be aiming high (see PS3 gen) and MS decided to go middle ground like they did on 360 with a very balanced console for a lower and more enticing price point while not sacrificing too much so that they have close enough parity for all 3rd party games. Personally I think that'd be a smart business move as it's the perfect price point and is a good value. It also fits with the "most powerful console we've ever made" comments from Phil, as that would still be true, and it's be the best that they could achieve at that price point and fits with the rumours of Scarlet being less powerful.

I've never been much into specs and all that, only when I was still PC gamer only. After I bought the first Xbox it was just that, done. Not paying specs any mind, just buy it and go!

So with that I'm saying I don't know terribly much about tflops and all that. But that tflop number sounds like a significant difference. Not even counting less ram as well, I know you're just speculating but could such a situation be comparable to X and Pro now or not even close?

At this point, it would be minor improvements. The core parts are set.

I see. Well, I'll then just hope next Xbox won't fall too far behind PS5.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
No

Yeah?!
That's the point.
I'm fine with this
I never endorsed it either...after 6 months of discussion...wonder why that might be...

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was in a nerdy coffee shop in Cali during E3 when I overheard Shu and Cerny talking about how much more powerful the PS5 will be.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
They are not reacting to the competition but to the developers who with all indications were not happy at all with a two SKU approach. If they planned for two but upon seeing reaction changed it to one SKU, that is a reaction. But let's be clear, a good reaction. I would rather that decision than shoving an unwanted SKU down the throat of developers.
I don't think that qualifies as a reaction n this case. Being that the consoles are unreleased.

I honestly don't know what the big deal is with this.

MS set out to make two SKUs. One to fit the $299-$399 budget price point and the other to be a premium console. For whatever reason, devs or otherwise.... they changed their minds. And that change could have been as recently as GDC this year which could explain why all the insiders had dated information. That change could also have been something MS hadn't settled o and were still keeping their options open.

Now they are defaulting to whatever option they had in place already for if they were to release just one SKU.... cause I can promise you they probably had that shit figured out too. Why any of this is a big deal here now is beyond me.

Some may call it reacting to devs... I look at it as listening to them. The same way sony listened to devs and went with 8GB instead of 4GB. The whole point of the two SKU approach was cause MS wanted to avoid having to compete with Sony on level footing. They wanted to have the cheapest next-gen console and the most powerful next-gen console. The only way to guarantee that was with multiple SKUs.

Honestly, the only shade I have to throw on MS is like I have been saying before; them not knowing how to keep their mouths shut. There was absolutely zero reasons for them to "announce" releasing multiple consoles. That should have been something they just discussed internally with devs. So if it doesn't pan out, none of this nonsense would be happening now.

Oct 25, 2017
Lockhart is gone it seems.
Which means I needed to update my prediction.
Guess what.
UPDATED PREDICTION

giphy.gif

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Matt implied Anaconda got neutered.
I mean, it won't be neutered. Just not the "premium console in a 2 SKU strategy" kinda powerful.

I guess this is probably why they're not so sure about being the more "powerful console" anymore, more so than knowing what the PS5 is up to. They're probably targeting the same price class now, instead of Anaconda being definitely more expensive than PS5.

Playboi Carti

Jan 1, 2018
Portugal
If people at the time don't know that information that they thought was correct and up to date was actually outdated, then yes obviously to them it's going to be correct information. I'm not sure why that's so hard to understand.

Have you ever been waiting for some sort of delivery and you get given a specific time that it'll be at your house? If the delivery doesn't show up at that specific time, does that mean that the delivery people at the time of first giving you that information were lying to you and purposefully giving you fake information? No, of course not*. It just means plans change.

*Well, I guess some of them might, but I'm sure you get the idea.
Well It is indeed hard for me to understand something as dumb as that.
If you're in your room and you're house is on fire but you're not aware of it, was your house not on fire until the moment you were aware of it? NO, it had been burning all along lmao. It's not about lying or giving fake information, I didn't say that, it's about the information, at the time it is being given, being incorrect, whether you, the person who is receiving, or the person who is giving being aware of it or not, it's that simple. And if the delivery guys gave you a time period for the delivery but the plans had already changed, then yes, at that time it was incorrect information, you or them not being aware of it does not matter

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I mean, it won't be neutered. Just not the "premium console in a 2 SKU strategy" kinda powerful.

I guess this is probably why they're not so sure about being the more "powerful console" anymore, more so than knowing what the PS5 is up to. They're probably targeting the same price class now, instead of Anaconda being definitely more expensive than PS5.

To me an implication of this could be the supposedly large die space of anaconda no longer be as much of an indicator as we thought. They may be disabling more CU's to increase yields. We know it won't have cooling problems for sure

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really clear here, there are some in here talking like teams are scrambling around at MS like ever since E3, when it seems it's being said this change in strategy wasn't even made this year but sometime prior to 2019, so certainly the development plans have been adjusted already.

About the worst thing I guess I can see is if they're stuck with the costs of a larger die size without any of the benefits of having a larger die.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I'm not really clear here, there are some in here talking like teams are scrambling around at MS like ever since E3, when it seems it's being said this change in strategy wasn't even made this year, so certainly the development plans have been adjusted already.
I'm sure they have been. But it's one of those puzzle pieces that clicked into place with people wondering why they stopped being absolutely positive they would be more powerful. It's an "ohhh that makes sense" moment.

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
As a hardware enthusiast, I mourn the loss of what could have been. I wanted to see (the real) Anaconda. :/

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
With Lockhart gone, I wonder how that affects the development and price point of Anaconda.
Sounds like it was shelved last year, so whatever affects it may have had have already been considered. We are way post reaction.

I don't doubt that Anaconda and PS5 Si is 95% shored up at this points as well.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Fact is xbots leaked a document and blocked out the Teraflops number since it us lower than PS5.
We're not gonna see a situation where one is more expensive than the other, no one will give away such an advantage, $499 for both.

While Lockhart and Anaconda were both a thing, I totally saw Anaconda at $499 or even $599

Now, if we really are only getting one SKU, fair chance MS will take a hit at $399 now. Even MORE so if we're going to now believe these brand new rumours of a pared back Anaconda.

DanFodio

Alt account
Banned
May 28, 2019

What he said.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Since I was tagged in this thread.

1. A while means last year. There is a reason I never really commented much, if at all, on those rumors.
2. MS next gen plans are strong and still on track, I wouldn't read too much into the news.
3. Given I've seen some confusion around it. Klobrille isn't verified on Era. Although they are free to send a PM to myself if they want to be.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I'll try to answer as I can, though I have only a layman's knowledge of silicon production.

I don't know the true etymology of "binning", but I've always assumed it was an analogy (or maybe an actual physical activity!) of separating dice into bins. It's driven by faults in the physical structure of supposedly identical chips, presumably caused by crystal defects, vapor deposition variability, etc. Some faults are so bad that they make functional blocks unusable. Some are less serious and can be made to work by adjusting the voltage of the current running through them. But overvolting or undervolting to accommodate the flaw may cause the rest of the chip to stop working, so there's a limit.

Silicon is expensive (I think I've heard estimates like $15k for a single 300mm wafer?). So you don't want to just throw away the chips with parts which don't work, or chips that need altered voltage. By designing an end product which uses the perfect chips, and another which uses partially disabled chips, you can still sell the defective parts. As long as the number of faulty CUs doesn't exceed the number you ignore anyway, you can use the chip. For example, Navi 5700XT uses all 20 WGPs/40 CUs, whereas Navi 5700 is the exact same chips but with 2 WGPs/4 CUs disabled.

As for power variability, a certain amount can be tolerated by normal power supplies, and fans can be driven at different speeds by software. The range covered is relatively small, but you don't have to customize each console's hardware for this. That's why different users' consoles can reach different temperatures or noise levels (due to cooling needs): they're drawing and dissipating different amounts of power. The Hovis Method widens the acceptable range, presumably by a significant amount.

I don't think specifics are known, or at least I haven't heard any. From what I do understand, One X has a bank of extra capacitors in the traces leading to the APU, so presumably turning these off or on for specific machines does basically what you say, "fingerprinting" the power to particular die needs. I'd wager the Hovis hardware itself is identical across all motherboards, with the profile of which caps to use stored in a profile.

Even if the testing is done with final boards rather than a rig (which I'm not sure about), I imagine they'd just demount the chip rather than discard the entire assembly. And consoles don't perform equally--for some definitions of "perform". During testing, the constant standard that's being checked against is "Can this chip operate at a specific clock with [x] amount of silicon active?" The amount of power necessary to make it operate is what's adjusted. So a specific PS4 may get less TF per watt, and by that sense perform worse...but it still hits the exact same TF number as its brethren.

Sorry I missed your post earlier.

Thank you so much for the detailed overview.

From your post, in the greater scheme of things, I am unable discern the difference between the traditional and Hovis method of creating a finished console besides the latter offering better diagnostic capabilities to assess which parts require extra power and craft customized power profile for that specific unit (as opposed to simply feeding extra wattage to the overall system so that the overall TF value or computational capacity for the unit is on par with the reference).

Status
Not open for further replies.