• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
I
PS5:
  • 80 CU die (Big Navi) - RDNA is scalable, 64 CUs is no longer a limitation
  • 4 shader engines - optimal amount to balance activated/disabled ratio
  • 1 dual CU disabled per shader engine - more acceptable chips per wafer
  • 72 active CUs - beast #4ThePlayers
  • clocked at 1550 - more power efficient
  • 7nm EUV - THE reason to delay from 2019
  • 14.2 (Navi) TF - the magic number
Wide and slow.

It was never going to be fewer CUs that were clocked higher.

Enough power to define and last a generation.
is this speculation or?

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony already sold close to 100 million ps4s right? Im sure they are happy enough to announce at PSX after skipping e3, which came after even revealing ps5 info.

Ps4s will still sell regardless of ps5 announcement or not, especially if ps5 is gonna be around 500 bucks and ps4 could be half that price or less. Great games are still coming.

I just want to know if sony will attend e3 2020.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
As I have always said with regards to HBM... the question is, what is cheaper? Having GDDR6? Or having DDR4 + HBM2. More importantly, what is cheaper 3 years later. Anyways, I voted for DDR4+HBM2 but I am expecting GDDR6.
It doesn't matter what's cheaper 3 years later, memory configuration changes over the curse of a generation. What ever is cheaper in 2023, Sony and Microsoft will use in the 2023 iteration of the consoles.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Did some homework, joined some dots.
jointhedotsvfj9u.png

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Outside of crazy leaks and tales from the ass, when do you think we will get solid info? This year at Gamescom? Or PSX/X019? Or are we thinking nothing solid till next year?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
PS5:
Wide and slow.

Today's pastebin leak? Link please.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of crazy leaks and tales from the ass, when do you think we will get solid info? This year at Gamescom? Or PSX/X019? Or are we thinking nothing solid till next year?
I don't know. It's weird, Sony was almost certainly bullshitting about doing the Wired interview to get ahead of leaks (We all know for the most part they wanted to get ahead of any Xbox announcements), but they also couldn't have been lying about sending out devkits.
And yet... Nothing. Not a single credible leak.

I think both companies would rather keep quiet for as long as humanly possible. For a 2020 holiday release, any time before February/March of next year is probably too early. Then again, in Sony's case, they can't let the 25th anniversary pass by quietly.
So I'm gonna say PSX for more official PS5 info. For Scarlett, I think Microsoft would like to stay silent until they're ready to do a major reveal early next year.

https://www.psu.com/news/gran-turismo-ps5-in-development-psvr2/ this leak is consistent with old 2018 december pastebin leak about ps5 ;d
I'm not sure what that link is supposed to tell me about the leak...

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
PS5:
Wide and slow.

This is insane.

You're looking at a die pushing 600mmsq.

Sorry, mate but you must have been on dat reefer again to come up with this.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe people are still listening to SpinningBirdKick. Mr #TEAMVEGA for Anaconda. Most of the time I just see his name and scroll past.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
PS5:
Wide and slow.

You're close, my brother.

Take a few more puffs and join me in the 20tf club.

Sowrong

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yup. Some people here have the strangest idea about business. Like, take this post:

"No point waiting"? They're trying to sell PS4s! The question isn't "why would Sony wait until February?", the question is "why wouldn't they?" Sony knows announcing the PS5 will have a negative effect on PS4 sales. That's why Sony would wait.

The goal isn't to reveal the PS5 as early as possible, as soon as the details are firmed up. The goal is to reveal the PS5 as late as possible without it A) getting leaked or B) causing problems for their dev partners. They want the period of depressed sales after announcement but before release to be as short as possible, and they certainly wouldn't voluntarily have that include a holiday season.

This is why so many of us are expecting a reveal just before GDC.
Sony already announced the PS5. People know the PS5 is coming next year. The people that are waiting 6 years to purchase a $200 holiday PS4 are not the same that would be buying a 400-500 PS5.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Team "Sub 10TF Navi Flops" from now on.

PS5:
Wide and slow.

When you've spun so hard that you did not realize that you drilled through the ground then through the core and finally come out to the other side in "Epitome of Absurdity" land.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Having advance notice of an announcement that will be made the following day is quite different from knowing details of Sony's strategy for revealing their next-generation console a year in advance. That's the type of thing that very few people within Sony would know.

Also, FWIW, RuthenicCookie didn't just say that Anthem was a mess, they stated that it would be delayed, and it wasn't.
as he explained in a later edit, EA didnt allow a delay because they wanted to launch the game before the end of the fiscal year, which very likely did happen based off the state of the game at launch.

Locuza

Mar 6, 2018
The german media outlet PCGamesHardware did an interview with Phil Spencer, talking about stuff which was shown on the E3 show.
I just copy the (interesting) HW related pieces (through Googel Translate :P) :
(I skimmed super fast through the last 3 pages, if it was already posted mea culpa)

"PC Games Hardware: Project Scarlett will have an SSD by default. This ensures as on the PC shorter load times, no question.
But how could game developers use that for their titles? For PCs they can not build on it automatically, because in some PCs traditional hard drives are still present.

Phil Spencer: Thanks to its speed developers can now practically use the SSD as Virtual RAM. The access times of the SSD approach the memory access times of the current generation of consoles. Of course, the OS has to allow the developers appropriate access that goes beyond that of a pure storage medium. But then we will see how the address space will increase immensely - comparable to the change from Win16 to Win32 or in some cases Win64.

Of course, the SSD will still be slower than the GDDR6 RAM sitting directly on the die. But the ability to directly supply CPU and GPU via the SSD will allow for the creation of game worlds that will not only be richer, but more seamless as well. Not only in terms of pure loading times, but also in terrain mapping. A graphic designer no longer has to worry about when GDDR6 ends and when the SSD starts. I like the fact that Mark Cerny and his team are also investing in an SSD at Sony for the PlayStation 5 ...

PC Games Hardware: ... the manufacturers of multiplatform games, too.

Phil Spencer: That's right! And the engines and tools can implement appropriate functions. Together, we will provide a larger install base - and developers will do their utmost to master and support the programming of these hardware capabilities. While I do not have a PS5 development kit, I do not think our Minecraft team even has that. But it will be exciting to see how the industry will benefit from the overarching deployment of such solutions.

PC Games Hardware: Does the statement of 4x times faster performance apply to the whole console?

Phil Spencer: No, that's a pure CPU statement. It would also be a little too simplistic to refer to the whole system, as much as I would like to, because so many components flow into it. Take the Xbox One X: In its development, the memory bandwidth was the bottleneck. It had to be big enough to provide content to the GPU without idle time. We could have brought the console to market a year earlier, but we waited another year to get all 6 of the GPU's TFLOPS up and running.

Our primary goal with Scarlett was to improve the graphics capabilities and GPU of the console. Primarily because another goal was to integrate a CPU into the system that can keep up with the GPU. Unlike PCs, consoles have historically been "arm-wrestlers" with a strong arm - the GPU - and a weak arm - the CPU, which does nothing other than changing the frames which got calculated by the GPU as fast as possible, often with only a maximum of 30 fps.
Now we are talking about 120 Hertz or variable refresh rates. Because if the timing of the game loop - the core routines of a game - corresponds to the refresh rate, this reduces the input latency and thus ensures a smooth gaming experience. And that depends largely on the CPU and memory bandwidth. That's why you have to see a statement like "Scarlett is x times faster than Xbox One X" a bit more differentiated.

--------------------

PC Games Hardware: Incidentally, just before the Microsoft press conference, Intel ran its own press event, one of which was that they still produce the fastest CPU. But in all current consoles are chips from AMD.

Phil Spencer: Lisa Su and her team at AMD did a great job. They play in a league above their own weight class, looking at market shares and stock price. And their chips are the backbone of Google's cloud - and they're in the upcoming console from Sony and us.

I'm not saying anything against Intel and Nvidia - it's just amazing how AMD has held its own in the last five or six years. And it's good for everyone when several competitors spur each other on to innovation and excellence."

Source:
https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Xbox...ials/Phil-Spencer-Das-Mega-Interview-1293543/

Last edited:

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
PS5:
Wide and slow.

$699

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
The german media outlet PCGamesHardware did an interview with Phil Spencer, talking about stuff which was shown on the E3 show.
(I skimmed super fast through the last 3 pages, if it was already posted mea culpa)

"PC Games Hardware: Project Scarlett will have an SSD by default. This ensures as on the PC shorter load times, no question.
But how could game developers use that for their titles? For PCs they can not build on it automatically, because in some PCs traditional hard drives are still present.

Phil Spencer: Thanks to its speed developers can now practically use the SSD as Virtual RAM. The access times of the SSD approach the memory access times of the current generation of consoles. Of course, the OS has to allow the developers appropriate access that goes beyond that of a pure storage medium. But then we will see how the address space will increase immensely - comparable to the change from Win16 to Win32 or in some cases Win64.

Of course, the SSD will still be slower than the GDDR6 RAM sitting directly on the die. But the ability to directly supply CPU and GPU via the SSD will allow for the creation of game worlds that will not only be richer, but more seamless as well. Not only in terms of pure loading times, but also in terrain mapping. A graphic designer no longer has to worry about when GDDR6 ends and when the SSD starts. I like the fact that Mark Cerny and his team are also investing in an SSD at Sony for the PlayStation 5 ...

Phil Spencer: That's right! And the engines and tools can implement appropriate functions. Together, we will provide a larger install base - and developers will do their utmost to master and support the programming of these hardware capabilities. While I do not have a PS5 development kit, I do not think our Minecraft team even has that. But it will be exciting to see how the industry will benefit from the overarching deployment of such solutions.

PC Games Hardware: Does the statement of 4x times faster performance apply to the whole console?

Phil Spencer: No, that's a pure CPU statement. It would also be a little too simplistic to refer to the whole system, as much as I would like to, because so many components flow into it. Take the Xbox One X: In its development, the memory bandwidth was the bottleneck. It had to be big enough to provide content to the GPU without idle time. We could have brought the console to market a year earlier, but we waited another year to get all 6 of the GPU's TFLOPS up and running.

Our primary goal with Scarlett was to improve the graphics capabilities and GPU of the console. Primarily because another goal was to integrate a CPU into the system that can keep up with the GPU. Unlike PCs, consoles have historically been "arm-wrestlers" with a strong arm - the GPU - and a weak arm - the CPU, which does nothing other than changing the frames which got calculated by the GPU as fast as possible, often with only a maximum of 30 fps.
Now we are talking about 120 Hertz or variable refresh rates. Because if the timing of the game loop - the core routines of a game - corresponds to the refresh rate, this reduces the input latency and thus ensures a smooth gaming experience. And that depends largely on the CPU and memory bandwidth. That's why you have to see a statement like "Scarlett is x times faster than Xbox One X" a bit more differentiated.

--------------------

PC Games Hardware: Incidentally, just before the Microsoft press conference, Intel ran its own press event, one of which was that they still produce the fastest CPU. But in all current consoles are chips from AMD.

Phil Spencer: Lisa Su and her team at AMD did a great job. They play in a league above their own weight class, looking at market shares and stock price. And their chips are the backbone of Google's cloud - and they're in the upcoming console from Sony and us.

I'm not saying anything against Intel and Nvidia - it's just amazing how AMD has held its own in the last five or six years. And it's good for everyone when several competitors spur each other on to innovation and excellence."

Source:
https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Xbox...ials/Phil-Spencer-Das-Mega-Interview-1293543/
Arthur Gies was right

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

--------------------

Source:
I like what I read! Nice interview! Thx for sharing!

Last edited:

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
Water is wet! anyone expected anything else? 24 gcn flops in a console? :))

p.s: 4x the jaguar perf in Scarlett is somehow underwhelming to me :/
They've said 4x the One X. The X CPU is running at 2.3Ghz, that's 43% faster than the PS4 which is the CPU baseline for this past generation. If Scarlett is 4x the One X CPU, it's X5.7 the PS4's CPU. Obviously, I wouldn't take these numbers to the decimal point, it's probably hyperbole mixed with some PR talk. But still, ~5x times the CPU power compared to the PS4? Sounds amazing. If it really is 5.7x the PS4's CPU, we are talking about 8/16 c/t at a higher than a 3Ghz clock which is again, amazing.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017

This is the most relevant and interesting thing posted on here for a long while IMO, thanks for sharing. I am far more confident after reading his words here that Xbox is doing some serious engineering with their SSD solution also, which should be interesting.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
This is the most relevant and interesting thing posted on here for a long while IMO, thanks for sharing. I am far more confident after reading his words here that Xbox is doing some serious engineering with their SSD solution also, which should be interesting.
Makes me think Phil isn't ultra tech inclined with phrases like "GDDR6 on the die", but he's focused on how things impact games and has smart people to tell him how to do that, so it's more of a curiosity than anything.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Makes me think Phil isn't ultra tech inclined with phrases like "GDDR6 on the die", but he's focused on how things impact games and has smart people to tell him how to do that, so it's more of a curiosity than anything.

I know that he wouldn't claim to be a hardware engineer, but also remember that this is being translated from German with some likely minor oddities present in wording.

mangochutney

Jun 11, 2018

Phil Spencer: No, that's a pure CPU statement. It would also be a little too simplistic to refer to the whole system
I'm glad this has been clarified.

I said at the time the video segment was clearly talking about the CPU at that stage.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This makes me think even more that next gen consoles will not have more then 16 gigs of memory.

As someone with a ton of money invested in games for Xbox, I hope for parity between the platforms. I'd hate to see a scenario where PS5 gets something like 32Gb of RAM while Microsoft opts for 16Gb with extra "virtual RAM".

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
that guy for sure had quite few correct info hidden in there .not 100% correct but many things were correct there

but 14 TF navi? haha we will not hit above 11TF.

I will eat my hat if we do haha

If we got 11 tf Navi I would still be flipping out with excitement. Over 15 tf gcn. You would of been laughed out of the room with that thought six months ago

Status
Not open for further replies.