• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
There is a metric ton that can be done with 16 GB.

Question is whether 16GB total system RAM prior to all the apportionment or Usable.

16GB GDDR6 ( Game ) + 8GB DDR4 ( 4GB OS / 4GB SSD ) is top tier.
But i doubt.
Probably 12GB for game and 4GB for OS.

I am still unsure as whether it will have DRAM for SSD given Sony's patent.

The heretic unity tech demo and the unreal rebirth open world demo are both using cards with 8gb vram. One looks straight up cgi. The other looks photorealistic.

There are dozens of unreal engine demos out there both open world and indoir areas that look photorealistic.

The unity open world mega city demo is also running on 8gb cards.

This demo is running on a 2080ti which is a 11gb card. Native 4k. Highest settings.

After both the Heretic demo running at 1440p30fps and AMD's press conference about how 5700 series is best suited for 1440p resolution, I am betting top dollars on next gen base resolution being 1440p.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
we will see i guess.

i think 16-18 gb should be enough for games. they will have 4gb ddr4 for the OS. no point in having fast GDDR6 RAM for the OS.
However much ram we get, I'm sure devs would be happy with having more. I know I could max out Wildlands and rise of the tomb raider at 1440p with 8gb. I saw one of the cod games hit 12gb at 4k.

If consoles come with 16gb, devs will use it all. If they come with 24gb, they'll use it all as well.

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
After both the Heretic demo running at 1440p30fps and AMD's press conference about how 5700 series is best suited for 1440p resolution, I am betting top dollars on next gen base resolution being 1440p.
1440p scales poorly to 4K displays, better off sticking with 1080p in that case.

Neither Sony or MS are going to back away from the 4K marketing point, it's crazy to think otherwise. I'd bet top dollar no first party games run below 4K whether that be native or reconstructed.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
1440p scales poorly to 4K displays, better off sticking with 1080p in that case.

Neither Sony or MS are going to back away from the 4K marketing point, it's crazy to think otherwise. I'd bet top dollar no first party games run below 4K whether that be native or reconstructed.

IIRC, DF said 1440p scales well with 4K display output. AFAIK, both Uncharted games were 1440p and they lacked any notable artefacting when upscaled.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ms 56 cu at 1500 mhz. this would explain Phil feeling so confident last year. I doubt he wouldve been so confident with a 8-9 tflops gpu. rdna or not.

Sony 56 cu at 1800 mhz. No idea how Sony would do it but im going by the gonzolo rumors and andrew reiner's sources saying PS5 is more powerful.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Ms 56 cu at 1500 mhz. this would explain Phil feeling so confident last year. I doubt he wouldve been so confident with a 8-9 tflops gpu. rdna or not.

Sony 56 cu at 1800 mhz. No idea how Sony would do it but im going by the gonzolo rumors and andrew reiner's sources saying PS5 is more powerful.
That would be incredible and too good to be true! That would probably be above RTX 2080 performance (56 CU @1,800 MHz).

Socky

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester, UK
Honestly, I don't much care about PS3 BC. All the best games have been remastered or are online dependent and so wouldn't work anyway, e.g. KZ2, WarHawk etc.

I kind of agree, but...

What I want is PS2 BC... and a way to play Ring of Red again. Fucking loved that game...

Screw Konami for not continuing the IP with a sequel.

Bro-fist, fellow Ring of Red fan. :D

You are somewhat arguing against your 'all the best games are remastered' statement here though. There are many excellent games from previous consoles that should be accessible, although how that might best be don't is open to debate. Im not holding out much hope of pre-PS4 BC.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

It should be reconstructed, I think. The point of reconstruction is that you end up with an image that matches the display pixel-for-pixel - only catch being that some of those pixels may not be perfectly accurate. You trade upscaling artifacts for reconstruction artifacts, but the latter can be more easily minimised by smarter techniques and higher framerates. I really want to see a top-quality reconstruction technique at 120fps at one point, that would be fascinating.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know but for photogrammetry at native 4K with very advanced shaders and details, all to be loaded in a big scene like open world, they need more than just 3x memory increase. iam still chuckling whenever I see suggestions of 16 GB or 18 GB VRAM. Both Sony and Microsoft know that this will never be enough for next-gen barely enough to run current-gen in 4K.
It won't be less than 24 GB for both regardless of the type of memory.
Being wasteful of resources is certainly a way to need a lot of resources.
I can easily spend GB of data to badly handled tree stump and no one would know the difference to an few MB one.

Now that we are getting fast SSD drives we should see more fine grained streaming methods and thus reduce memory pressure.
UE4 should have virtual texturing in next release which is huge relief for texture memory.. and so on. (Current 4.23 has it.)

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017

For now PS5 might be more powerful, but it's probably just slightly more powerful (I'd say 10.2 and 10.6, something like that), not 20% more powerful which is highly improbable as both target the same price without spending on gimmicks.

But most importantly Matt thinks xbox will eventually be more powerful. And Matt knows more than any of us. That means 2 things for me:
- Currently the gap is very small, probably <10% (if it was 20% I don't think Matt could even think MS could catch up).
- MS will be able to fill the gap according to a guy that allegedly knows both sides of the story: devkits, specs and docs. So there must be a reason for that.

My guess is that PS5 silicon is near final design, and MS is far from being final, so they can still tweak it somehow or improve the cooling solution, make a bigger box, in order to significantly overclock the APU (like +10%), just enough to beat PS5.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
For now PS5 might be more powerful, but it's probably just slightly more powerful (I'd say 10.2 and 10.6, something like that), not 20% more powerful which is highly improbable as both target the same price without spending on gimmicks.

But most importantly Matt thinks xbox will eventually be more powerful. And Matt knows more than any of us. That means 2 things for me:
- Currently the gap is very small, probably <10% (if it was 20% I don't think Matt could even think MS could catch up).
- MS will be able to fill the gap according to a guy that allegedly knows both sides of the story: devkits, specs and docs. So there must be a reason for that.

My guess is that PS5 silicon is near final design, and MS is far from being final, so they can still tweak it somehow or improve the cooling solution, make a bigger box, in order to significantly overclock the APU (like +10%), just enough to beat PS5.
i am pretty sure phil spencer said in an interview after E3 that the sillicon is finalized or near final.

whats this thing about "MS will be able to fill the gap according to a guy that allegedly knows both sides of the story: devkits, specs and docs. So there must be a reason for that." is this a legit person or another reddit/pastebin

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
i am pretty sure phil spencer said in an interview after E3 that the sillicon is finalized or near final.

whats this thing about "MS will be able to fill the gap according to a guy that allegedly knows both sides of the story: devkits, specs and docs. So there must be a reason for that." is this a legit person or another reddit/pastebin
I am talking about Matt, obviously.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando

Matt's feeling shouldn't be taken as gospel here. It's not based on knowledge but feeling.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
Honestly, I don't much care about PS3 BC. All the best games have been remastered or are online dependent and so wouldn't work anyway, e.g. KZ2, WarHawk etc.

What I want is PS2 BC... and a way to play Ring of Red again. Fucking loved that game...

Screw Konami for not continuing the IP with a sequel.

Same for me, but I want to play Silent Hill 2+3 and Shadow of Memories again.

Screw Konami for screwing up the remasters, and not making one of SoM

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I am talking about Matt, obviously.
oh i misread your post, i thought matt was unrelated to that.
i always took matt as someone with more access to the business side rather than a super technical access, and that his reasoning for his guess mostly comes from MS wanting to be the performance leader, rather than direct knowledge of the specs.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Matt's feeling shouldn't be taken as gospel here. It's not based on knowledge but feeling.

Not taken as gospel but an educated guess is based on a lot more than feels.

Seriously guys, it won't be the end of the world if MS is stronger than Sony next gen. As long as there is no glaring oversight with the PS5 or it is significantly underpowered (like the OG xbone) all will be fine I'm sure.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

Seriously guys, it won't be the end of the world if MS is stronger than Sony next gen. As long as there is no glaring oversight with the PS5 or it is significantly underpowered (like the OG xbone) all will be fine I'm sure.

Likewise, the opposite right? Since there is just about as much indication both ways...

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

the thing is that we are hearing two opposing rumors from 2 different sources.
one is Andrew Reiner, who knows a lot of developers due to his position in Game Informer, and he often plays games that are in development before anyone else, he likely has a very good relationship with developers in the industry, and he claims PS5 is stornger (note, he never said its from dev kits, and he doubled down on it by saying that developers already know the target specs)
the other is Matt, a very trustworthey moderator on this forum which has been very generous in letting us know about things going behind the scenes like about the future of the industry, and on the PS5 in the old forum mostly. and he says that based off an educated guess scarlett will be stronger.

tbh, i do not know which one is accurate, i trust both of them to deliver the most accurate answer to their knowledge, which is why the best course of action is to just be open minded about everything.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Bro-fist, fellow Ring of Red fan. :D

You are somewhat arguing against your 'all the best games are remastered' statement here though. There are many excellent games from previous consoles that should be accessible, although how that might best be don't is open to debate. Im not holding out much hope of pre-PS4 BC.

I actually meant that all the best PS3 games had been remastered.

Of course barely any PS2 and PS1 games have. I do think an emulator is possible for PS4. I just think that many of the games we'd actually wanna play from that era are so bound up in licensing hell that Sony isn't able to sell them digitally on the PS Store.

Jan 20, 2019

And the other way around is not possible because ?

Everybody expects the xbox to be more powerful, before the reiner tweet if you said that the ps5 whould be more powerful you would get shit on.

Soo yes, both consoles can be the most powerful and there is no such thing as one is final and the other can still change, both consoles are yet to be final or we whould already had the specs.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

Everybody expects the xbox to be more powerful, before the reiner tweet if you said that the ps5 whould be more powerful you would get shit on.

Soo yes, both consoles can be the most powerful and there is no such thing as one is final and the other can still change, both consoles are yet to be final or we whould already had the specs.
most of what we are hearing does suggest the sillicon of both consoles is pretty much near final now, i think only what is left to be deicded (and i predict will be decided by december), is the exact memory size and clock speeds.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
most of what we are hearing does suggest the sillicon of both consoles is pretty much near final now, i think only what is left to be deicded (and i predict will be decided by december), is the exact memory size and clock speeds.

also if we're flip flopping which is more powerful then it may simply be down to yields, cooling, clock tweaks - so they'd have to be fairly close now, and would continue to be fairly close (just the other way round). Which hopefully lets us not worry too much about hyperbolic console warring about specs (we'll just do it about exclusives/services etc anyway..)

xICHIGOx

Oct 27, 2017

Matt was only making an educated guess nothing more it could be even an educated guess to predict an edge for ps5 or a parity of some sort. Nobody know nothing at this point.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Question is whether 16GB total system RAM prior to all the apportionment or Usable.

I can see this especially with AMD'S tech doing something like DLSS with their Imagine Sharpening tech to up for 4k.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

I can see this especially with AMD'S tech doing something like DLSS with their Imagine Sharpening tech to up for 4k.

How does 1440p look on 4K screens (never tried, and to my eyes 1080p looks good on my 4k monitor)? Does it scale well with 4K checkboard?

score01

Oct 27, 2017

oh - it absolutely is possible, and as a fan of Sonys output, it would be great news... but Microsoft absolutely need the power crown more and I fully expect them to eek out a win here even if it boils down to a last minute clock adjustment which makes little difference in the real world.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

1440p does seem to be the sweet spot for Navi 10, best quality/performance results.
and yea the patents do seem to indicate a usage of small SRAM rather than DRAM for the SSD, which is interesting. based off phil's interview about access timing i assume their SSD uses DRAM instead, i still dont exactly understand what are the advantages/disadvantage of using each one, gofreak can you clarify about that?

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
1440p does seem to be the sweet spot for Navi 10, best quality/performance results.
and yea the patents do seem to indicate a usage of small SRAM rather than DRAM for the SSD, which is interesting. based off phil's interview about access timing i assume their SSD uses DRAM instead, i still dont exactly understand what are the advantages/disadvantage of using each one, gofreak can you clarify about that?

I don't think a reference to access timing directly suggests DRAM vs SRAM. There's various things that affect access time.

On SRAM vs DRAM, I guess taking the patents' explanations at face value and trying to keep it simple:

SRAM might be faster/'better' for access to low-write, high-read data
DRAM might be faster/'better' for access to high-write, low-read data (at least vs a cache-miss in a SRAM setup)

The patent makes the suggestion that you might want to optimise for the former scenario in a games machine more than the latter, that it would be more advantageous to optimise for read-access to game asset data.

DRAM would I guess, also potentially have more space for cached data, at least depending on the size of your address lookup tables in use. Although there might be nothing to stop an implementation using SRAM for address lookup and block operation data, and a smaller-than-typical amount of DRAM on the side just for caching. SRAM has some other side advantages too - namely the ability to use it at a lower power-cost for standby mode operations.

As always, I wouldn't conclude for sure what the setup in either machine actually is at this point.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Reiner was stating a fact, conveying what the state of the affairs is right now, Matt was making a prediction about the future.

I think is safe to say PS5 has an slight edge at this point in time, that both Sony and MS will work on improving their respective SKU's, and that the end result will be 2 machines that are very close in terms of specs, and they have to be the same price really.

So they have to be $499, because there's no way PS5 has the edge while at the same time being $100 cheaper, and Anaconda at $399 didn't make sense when Lockhart was planned.

Of course Lockhart was discarded at the end of 2018 so it could be that after that they made Anaconda less powerful and cheaper, from $499 to $399....but that was semi-debunked by some people, right?

So the safest bet seems to be $499, although I can't really totally commit to it, I still feel $399 is not out of the picture

For me that's the important piece of the puzzle that is missing, because we know both of the will be almos identical, just at what level is the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.