• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Agreeee

Why do peopel mute others on a forum is beyond me, on a game i understand because of all the kids
To be fair once mod banned me when I was talking to him about 2019 not happening and mod said stop arguing (albeit ban was for 1 day ) but from that day I decided to put him on ignore list so I don't get into discussion with him .

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I think anything Matt or Zhugex say for example is as factual as it can be without being official, that's why I said "Is safe to say". I didn't say "It's a confirmed fact"

It's safe to say PS5 will have hardware RT?

I think it's safe to say, wouldn't you agree?

Edit: Btw what is this arguing with semantics when noone here (Kyofu, me and you) is a native english speaker? I said "Is safe to say" when I could've said "It's probably the case" or whatever other idiom. I think both of you missed the point but whatever..

Edit2: Regarding the price if we believe those 2 things are "probably" true then $499 is more likely. That's the link
I think I look indeed differently on information from certain sources than you ;)

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
To be fair once mod banned me when I was talking to him about 2019 not happening and mod said stop arguing (albeit ban was for 1 day ) but from that day I decided to put him on ignore list so I don't get into discussion with him .
You miss a lot of news by ignoring VX1
He is the retweet machine of this thread of all KOMACHI and APSIAK tweets and other fancy sources.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is clearly a discussion not belonging here and would be a better fit for a DM discussion.
You also miss a lot of news by ignoring VX1
He is the retweet machine of this thread of all KOMACHI and APSIAK tweets and other fancy sources.
Yea I understand many times he is a good source but when mods ban over discussing differing opinions in civil manner , I have no choice but to avoid the whole thing . Anyways once the price is revealed I LL remove him from ignore list haha he has had me on if ignore list for longest time cause he didnt appreciate me telling him release is 2020.

Anyways back on topic of next gen :)

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
kML.gif

Speaking of PS5 :)
Please don't put words into my mouth :p

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I think I look indeed differently on information from certain sources than you ;)

Your lack of faith is disturbing!

PS: Now seriously I think it's a prejudice from your part, so shouldn't be projected unto others? I shouldn't be corrected for assuming what people with a spotless track record say is probably the case, specially in a speculative argument. But whatever, I haven't posted/read in days due to the lack of news and I guess i stomped into an ongoing war of mistrust that I was unaware of

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Your lack of faith is disturbing!

PS: Now seriously I think it's a prejudice from your part, so shouldn't be projected unto others? I shouldn't be corrected for assuming what people with a spotless track record say is probably the case, specially in a speculative argument. But whatever, I haven't posted/read in days due to the lack of news and I guess i stomped into an ongoing war of mistrust that I was unaware of
Has nothing to do with mistrust. Has to do what I see as a fact. I also made no comment about if I think the claims from the sources we talked about could be true or not. But they are definitely not facts at this moment in time even they may materialize as promised in the future!

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Has nothing to do with mistrust. Has to do what I see as a fact. I also made no comment about if I think the claims from the sources we talked about could be true or not. But they are definitely not facts at this moment in time even they may materialize as promised in the future!

Yes but were did I say there were facts my friend?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is my friend, at least at this point.

It's important insofar as, knowing this, MS will try to revert it, and Matt thinks they'll succeed in doing so.

Independently of the outcome, all of this information can help us surmise things like price, which for me is the key puzzle part missing.

So no, it's not important which one ends up on top, but yes, this info is relevant to the discussion in a big way, because I was a firm believer of $399 and now I'm on the $499 due to it

Matt over the years normally give info he certain about or don't mince words .
Which is why i value his info like when he said both will have hardware RT .
When it comes to which one stronger he gave his guess , which very different than what he normally does .
So if he wrong or right i won't hold that agaist his track record and that is how i look at that compare to his other info.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Matt over the years normally give info he certain about or don't mince words .
Which is why i value his info like when he said both will have hardware RT .
When it comes to which one stronger he gave his guess , which very different than what he normally does .
So if he wrong or right i won't hold that agaist his track record and that is how i look at that compare to his other info.

Of course...all I said is that it was safe to assume that:

- At this point in time PS5 has an slight advantage
- Both MS and Sony will try to improve their SKU's
- Both SKU's are really close to each other.

Aren't those thinks probably right?

Jesus loo

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Reiner was stating a fact, conveying what the state of the affairs is right now, Matt was making a prediction about the future.
Matt even said he said just guessing. He never refuted Reiner's claims, so as of today, no insiders have claimed that the next Xbox would be more powerful than the next PlayStation, but two journalists have heard from sources that the next PlayStation's devkits were stronger than the next Xbox's.

Those are the facts.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Right here in your first comment on the topic of the sub discussion ... :p

No, he was stating a fact, because for him it's a fact that developers have told him that the PS5 is more powerful. That's the fact he is stating, while Matt was making a prediction. I was expliciting the difference s between those 2 statements.

That doesn't make it a fact for the rest of us, but for me it's safe to assume that is the case

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Matt even said he said just guessing. He never refuted Reiner's claims, so as of today, no insiders have claimed that the next Xbox would be more powerful than the next PlayStation, but two journalists have heard from sources that the next PlayStation's devkits were stronger than the next Xbox's.

Those are the facts.

I didn't say it was a fact that the Xbox will be more powerful, only that Matt believes so.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I think is safe to say PS5 has an slight edge at this point in time, that both Sony and MS will work on improving their respective SKU's, and that the end result will be 2 machines that are very close in terms of specs, and they have to be the same price really.

Are those statements really that outrageous??

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Not saying you did, just adding to your post. :)

Matt didn't even say Xbox would be more powerful, it was a guess that Microsoft would not want to relinquish the power battle.

Yes but for me the takeaway of his words is that they're really close, hence must be the same price, hence it has to be $499

I even said doesn't matter which one ends on top...

PS: It was a post about price people...

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Yes but for me the takeaway of his words is that they're really close, hence must be the same price, hence it has to be $499

I even said doesn't matter which one ends on top...

PS: It was a post about price people...
They're definitely going to be close, they share practically the exact same architecture.

Either way, it doesn't really matter all that much in the end. I'd argue that most people already know which platform they will buy next regardless of the power difference. Even price is not a huge factor as I don't see the price difference being more than $50 between the two competitors.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
I have a feeling these consoles will be so close neither Sony or Microsoft will want to reveal details/price first leading to a complete lack of info until very close to launch.....

Whoever ends up blinking first will risk the other undercutting them unless super confident.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
They're definitely going to be close, they share practically the exact same architecture.

Either way, it doesn't really matter all that much in the end. I'd argue that most people already know which platform they will buy next regardless of the power difference. Even price is not a huge factor as I don't see the price difference being more than $50 between the two competitors.

Yes but wouldn't you like to know if it's $399 or $499?

Not in regards as to which one will be more successful, as you seem to imply, but because if it's more expensive they can put more goodies in?

That's why I wanna know the price.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017

Like i dont even care about the power difference between the Pro and OneX. Its the build quality that made me feel its worth the price increase. The dead silentness, the build itself, controller.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
These are most likely my final predictions for the PS5 until the official reveal (PSX 2019):

Price: $499

GPU: 9-13 RDNA TFLOPS
CPU: 8-core 16 Threaded Zen 2 (3.2 GHz)
RAM: 24 GB (20 GB usable for devs) of unknown type or speed
SSD: 1 TB with 5 GB/s+ write speeds

Edit: I'll continue to add different smaller hardware features.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Did anyone try fire strike with Navi 5700 / xt paired with ryzen 3 clocked at 3.2 GHz to see which one scores above 20000 in firestrike test ??
5700 or 5700xt or even better than those ?

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Not saying you did, just adding to your post. :)

Matt didn't even say Xbox would be more powerful, it was a guess that Microsoft would not want to relinquish the power battle.

While this whole topic is likely pointless, to be accurate that is not how Matt presented it. He clearly said "educated guess" and put the words in bold, so the inclusion of the word educated doesn't point toward just purely guessing based on public statements about Xbox wanting to aim for more powerful.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
These are most likely my final predictions for the PS5 until the official reveal (PSX 2019):

Price: $499

GPU: 9-13 RDNA TFLOPS
CPU: 8-core 16 Threaded Zen 2 (3.2 GHz)
RAM: 24 GB (20 GB usable for devs) of unknown type or speed
SSD: 1 TB with 5 GB/s+ write speeds

Edit: I'll continue to add different smaller hardware features.
I dont think we'll get more than 9 RDNA TF. Even if we get 8 RDNA TF it will be fine,its somewhere between Vega 64 and GTX 2070.

Even if we get 8 RDNA TF + 8 core Ryzen+ 16gb GDDR6 +SSD it will be a great next gen machine. Anything above that is amazing.
10 RDNA TF would be holly shit

M3rcy

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't agree with separate threads. Segregation < Learning to coexist with people who don't share your point of view.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
This seems pretty childish to admit honestly. Then again I find the whole concept of ignore lists (over petty differences of opinion) mind boggling and a little pointless when others quote someone on the "list".
Agreeee

Why do peopel mute others on a forum is beyond me, on a game i understand because of all the kids

TBH gents, ignore lists have been a godsend for being able to weed out the stifling posts of certain posters whose platform bias constantly and consistently turns every discussion into console wars.

When you know then, they're relentless in their lack of objectivity, even to abandonment of common sense, being able to place them on ignore makes the thread and forum in general much more readable.

That said, VX1, makes consistently positive contributions to this thread and on the sliding scale of platform bias I wouldn't even be able to identify him with a side if I wanted to... i.e. he seems like a very reasonable and objective poster. As others have said, you'd miss a lot of the more meaningful discussion in the thread if you block him.

If the SSD drive is not user upgradable I wonder if we'll get SKUs further down the line with bigger drives?

Oh of course. SSD prices will get cheaper, so the capacity in later SKUs will invariably go up.

I still don't agree with separate threads. Segregation < Learning to coexist with people who don't share your point of view.

You have more faith in Era posters than I do (well the Era posters that are actively looking to engage in console wars at least).

That said, as much as I'd argue the previous solely PS5 focussed thread had less of the silly platform wars BS, it wasn't immune. And it does make me curious which of threads the more educated voices would prefer to engage in if we ended up with two separate threads; in that you may end up with more in one than the other, reducing the signal to noise ratio in the poorer thread.

I think platform-specific threads can sometime turn into echo chambers by drawing in more of the less desireable folks than a general thread. So i'm happy to keep things as is.

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone try fire strike with Navi 5700 / xt paired with ryzen 3 clocked at 3.2 GHz to see which one scores above 20000 in firestrike test ??
5700 or 5700xt or even better than those ?
you can just go to the website and search for those GPUs and CPUs.

The best result was 23k with a 27k graphics score. 1k higher than my rtx 2080 but it seems they had the core clock at 2.1 ghz for this card.

When pairing the RTX 2080 with a 3700X, the highest score is 24k with the graphics score being 29k. The highest RTX 2070 super score is 22k with a 25k graphics score.

So
2070 Super > 5700 XT > 2800.

I will look up time spy next but this card is amazing.

EDIT: Timespy scores arent as great.

Graphics scores only:
5700XT - 9.6
2070 Super - 10.3
2080 - 12.2

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
you can just go to the website and search for those GPUs and CPUs.

The best result was 23k with a 27k graphics score. 1k higher than my rtx 2080 but it seems they had the core clock at 2.1 ghz for this card.

When pairing the RTX 2080 with a 3700X, the highest score is 24k with the graphics score being 29k. The highest RTX 2070 super score is 22k with a 25k graphics score.

So
2070 Super > 5700 XT > 2800.

I will look up time spy next but this card is amazing.
But thsoe are high clocks for gpu.we should see if anyone done 1.8 GHz for gpu and 3.2 for cpu and see with those two if we get over 20000 overall firestrike

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if they can have 1TB SSD inside the console, and then having an extra empty slot inside for a secondary internal HDD.
This way the base system will have all the games readily available to read with no loading, and if a user wants he has to insert a 2nd HDD and have to go through the initial "swapping" between the two drives the first time it loads a game back into the console as mentioned in previous users posts.
This way you could also sell a base 1TB SSD base SKU plus a second, 1TBSSD+1/2TBHDD SKU.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
I wonder if they can have 1TB SSD inside the console, and then having an extra empty slot inside for a secondary internal HDD.
This way the base system will have all the games readily available to read with no loading, and if a user wants he has to insert a 2nd HDD and have to go through the initial "swapping" between the two drives the first time it loads a game back into the console as mentioned in previous users posts.
This way you could also sell a base 1TB SSD base SKU plus a second, 1TBSSD+1/2TBHDD SKU.
While I doubt it's possible especially with next-gen games but having no loading screens even when even booting up a game would be incredible. You just click and your in. It would be an experience no ones ever felt before. It would also make deciding which game to play a lot easier.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This overallscore strongly depands on cpu so 3700x boosting to 4 391 MHz is not great equivalent of gonzalo 3.2ghz

even the graphics score?
Good news from CD PR about Cyberpunk & consoles:

Cyberpunk 2077 will look just as good on PS5 and Project Scarlett as most PCs
lol. i bet it will look like shit on current gen consoles though.

Status
Not open for further replies.