• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Good news from CD PR about Cyberpunk & consoles:

Cyberpunk 2077 will look just as good on PS5 and Project Scarlett as most PCs

I think this is just speculation by TechRadar that PS5/XBS versions are in the works. CDPR has already commented that they are focusing on current consoles for now and haven't confirmed any plans for nextgen. Just that the current gen versions should technically work via BC on nextgen.

I mean I doubt they won't make nextgen console versions of CP2077 but the article just seems like speculation and wishful thinking at the moment and trying to pass it off as confirmation for clicks with that headline.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
I heard relation of person that watched new gamplay after e3 2019 of Cyberpunk. Graphic is ok but it's not new quality at all(there are better looking games), is curentgen title so will look ok on ps4 and xone.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Finding it hard to believe that no one has taken a ryzen 7 CPU, downclocked it to 3.2Ghz or even 3Ghz, pair it to a 5700/5700XT and run that fire strike test.

I'm looking at you DF. Do this for us instead of giving us comparison videos of hoe journey runs on PC

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Finding it hard to believe that no one has taken a ryzen 7 CPU, downclocked it to 3.2Ghz or even 3Ghz, pair it to a 5700/5700XT and run that fire strike test.

I'm looking at you DF. Do this for us instead of giving us comparison videos of hoe journey runs on PC
Haha exactly
Let's find out where the gpu for Gonzalo stands
Paging Dark1x

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well yeah,i thought the same about RDR2 and in the end i was pleasantly surprised.
CDPR is not R*,of course,but i'll give them the benefit of the doubt.I hope they learned a lot from Witcher 3 experience.
eh. i dont trust them at all. they completely changed the renderer for witcher 3 after the initial showing. the first gameplay footage of cyberpunk looks way too good to be true. i refuse to believe that can be done on current gen consoles. it will be downgraded to hell and back.

what will be interesting to see is if they will also downgrade the pc version like they did with witcher 3 by changing the renderer for the pc version as well. with next gen consoles coming out, i hope they keep the pc version looking as good as last year's footage and aim to port that version to the ps5 and x2.
So Gonzalo is probably based on 5700xt but that CPU is 4.4 GHz and not 3.2.
we don't know graphics score of gonzalo
this only bodes well for gonzolo though. if the overall score of gonzolo was over 20k with a 3.2 ghz CPU that means the gpu is at least just as strong as the 5700 XT or much more stronger than that.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
wasnt there a theory going around that the actual SSD would be smaller than 1TB and an actual HDD would be used for storing game data?

More so since the mention of using the SSD as "virtual ram" instead of just noting larger storage?

IDK why i can see bullet points where it shows off the size of the SSD and speed and then an additional option of how much Hard Drive space is available, like 1tb or 2tb.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019

Haha exactly, Dictator DF check firestirke 1080p general score with ryzen 7 3700x downclocked to 3.2ghz with 5700 and 5700xt

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I meant something similar to NVIDIA's solution in the RTX series, a small part of the CU is designed to handle RT and most of the CU is the usual rasterization machine that we are used to seeing. Every CU has some part which is dedicated to RT, just like NVIDIA's SM:
image11-601x1024.jpg

Okay, so this would mean actual HW design alteration at CU level to do something like that. From what I have read, Tensor Cores are something akin to Blackbox and so there is no actual breakdown of how nVidia designed it beyond documentations provided by them that show how to make it work efficiently (afaik).

On the AMD side of things, I think they had a patent about some "Hybrid" version of the RT. Now whether that would necessitate in apportionment of existing CUs into something akin to tensor cores or having separate set of CUs in their own cluster dedicated to RT or something else is unknown to me.

Whatever the case may be, the die size will most likely not be 251mm2.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
eh. i dont trust them at all. they completely changed the renderer for witcher 3 after the initial showing. the first gameplay footage of cyberpunk looks way too good to be true. i refuse to believe that can be done on current gen consoles. it will be downgraded to hell and back.

what will be interesting to see is if they will also downgrade the pc version like they did with witcher 3 by changing the renderer for the pc version as well. with next gen consoles coming out, i hope they keep the pc version looking as good as last year's footage and aim to port that version to the ps5 and x2.

this only bodes well for gonzolo though. if the overall score of gonzolo was over 20k with a 3.2 ghz CPU that means the gpu is at least just as strong as the 5700 XT or much more stronger than that.
Yea to me it looks like what ever Gonzalo is , it's minimum 5700xt level or stronger and let's not forget those Gonzalo results are for engineering samples.final versions most probably will improve even further

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
These are most likely my final predictions for the PS5 until the official reveal (PSX 2019):

Price: $499

GPU: 9-13 RDNA TFLOPS
CPU: 8-core 16 Threaded Zen 2 (3.2 GHz)
RAM: 24 GB (20 GB usable for devs) of unknown type or speed
SSD: 1 TB with 5 GB/s+ write speeds

Edit: I'll continue to add different smaller hardware features.

The most realistic specs/price so far. Don't be surprised if it gets some features a little higher like the Tflops and/or the SSD size.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of taking a massive loss, I don't see how Sony could possibly sell the PS5 for $400.

From inflation alone, the $400 USD that the PS4 cost at launch would be $440 today (not to mention fall 2020!). To keep up the appearance of price parity, this supposed super console would sell for $40 less than the PS4. Then you add in the threat of crazy trump tariffs, the likelihood of taking a loss even at $450+ with the rumored specs, the outrageously high marketing cost during US presidential election season, the advantageous position they hold over their direct competitor, etc. etc.

I would think 449 with three months of Plus or something would maybe be a compromise, but that feels way too messy for Sony. (Can you imagine how challenging it would be to communicate that value? Plus they will have already lost the benefit of the 3 at the start of 399.)

So, maybe they are exploring the possibility of $399 and trying to make it work with their engineering. But, again, unless they take a substantial loss (and I mean substantial), I don't get how they could make this console for that price.

Now, if Sony wants to shoulder that much of the cost, be my guest. I certainly wouldn't mind a $400 machine, as long as it isn't built as a $400 machine

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this would fit with MS talking about their SSD as virtual ram while cerny is talking about the SSD as a means of eliminating loading and streaming assets as fast as possible.
basically MS are planning to use the SSD as an actual additional ram which they write to a lot, while the SSD based off sony's patents will mostly read data very fast.
wonder what will developers favor more.
i do fear that writing to the SSD that much might increase the likelyhood of a SSD fault.

Page files suck as a rule. Even if on an SSD. Bragging about needing virtual RAM in Scarlett is a bizarre flex for MS. It suggests to me they expect the PS5 to have more RAM. Devs will absolutely prefer greater read speed. You don't need to resort to virtual RAM when you can load data on demand more efficiently.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I heard relation of person that watched new gamplay after e3 2019 of Cyberpunk. Graphic is ok but it's not new quality at all(there are better looking games), is curentgen title so will look ok on ps4 and xone.
The french gamesite I follow (gamekult) clearly state that the e3 demo 2019 doesn't match the e3 demo 2018. He thinks the 2018 version was a vertical slice.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Outside of taking a massive loss, I don't see how Sony could possibly sell the PS5 for $400.

I agree ,if they kept late 2019 launch there is no way they could avoid 499 price with Zen2+Navi 10+SSD+GDDR6.
But we are talking now about late 2020 launch and that is a different story,none of the tech in PS5 will be new by then-next year this time AMD will have Zen3,Navi 20 or whatever,price of SSD and memory will go down,so i think 399 price (with some smallish 50-100 loss) will be possible.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Page files suck as a rule. Even if on an SSD. Bragging about needing virtual RAM in Scarlett is a bizarre flex for MS. It suggests to me they expect the PS5 to have more RAM. Devs will absolutely prefer greater read speed. You don't need to resort to virtual RAM when you can load data on demand more efficiently.
Interesting way to look at it

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
It's not bizarre. It's a diversion. Hey our SSD is not a relatively slow PC SSD (compared to fully custom PS5 SSD with x GB of dedicated cache + custom file system ) : it's a "custom" SSD. Custom, like PS5 custom SSD.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

This seems more impressive than I would've thought. Is there much chance of AMD's Content Aware Sharpening appearing in the consoles? Possibly even an enhanced version tailored to specific games?
I am curious if AMD's lag reduction will get increased focus on consoles. With this feature, VRR, QFT, ALLM, 240 Hz and esports all being buzzwords, this area may see some increased focus too. I don't think I've ever seen PS4 compared to XB1 lag.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I agree ,if they kept late 2019 launch there is no way they could avoid 499 price with Zen2+Navi 10+SSD+GDDR6.
But we are talking now about late 2020 launch and that is a different story,none of the tech in PS5 will be new by then-next year this time AMD will have Zen3,Navi 20 or whatever,price of SSD and memory will go down,so i think 399 price (with some smallish 50-100 loss) will be possible.
I asked ths before and you conveniently ignored it so I wil ask it again.

Has it occurred to you that waiting till 2020 was the only way they could get to sell a system like what the PS5 is shaping out to be for $499?

Has it crossed your mind that $499 is what they get when they give the current gen a year extra so prices can go down a bit more on next-gen components?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Has it occurred to you that waiting till 2020 was the only way they could get to sell a system like what the PS5 is shaping out to be for $499?

Has it crossed your mind that $499 is what they get when they give the current gen a year extra so prices can go down a bit more on next-gen components?
Maybe they delayed it for 7nm EUV.

Spinning bird kick redeemed.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

Of course that's possible.But i just don't think it's likely.Remains to be seen.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Maybe they delayed it for 7nm EUV.

Spinning bird kick redeemed.

Unless I completely misunderstand how these things work:

1, 7nm EUV would mean a brand new design
2, Would be impossible to achieve in 1 additional year

Has it crossed your mind that $499 is what they get when they give the current gen a year extra so prices can go down a bit more on next-gen components

Wouldn't this suggest that Sony were planning a $600+ BOM system to sell for $500? I seriously doubt that.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
wasnt there a theory going around that the actual SSD would be smaller than 1TB and an actual HDD would be used for storing game data?

More so since the mention of using the SSD as "virtual ram" instead of just noting larger storage?

IDK why i can see bullet points where it shows off the size of the SSD and speed and then an additional option of how much Hard Drive space is available, like 1tb or 2tb.
Yea to me it looks like what ever Gonzalo is , it's minimum 5700xt level or stronger and let's not forget those Gonzalo results are for engineering samples.final versions most probably will improve even further
So like 15-16 Vega FLOPS?

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
That might be why they delayed from 2019 to 2020? Maybe, if the rumor is in fact true.

I'm suggesting Sony would never have even been designing the console to that high a cost in the first place.

Also the design and price target decisions would've been made back in 2015/16 when work on next-gen started as I'm sure Albert has explained previously?

Jan 20, 2019
I'm suggesting Sony would never have even been designing the console to that high a cost in the first place.

Also the design and price target decisions would've been made back in 2015/16 when work on next-gen started as I'm sure Albert has explained previously?

Sure, but peopel were saying that the Navi had a lot of problems and that might be why they delayed or they just had soo much sucess with the ps4 that they decided to delayed the ps5 because of that.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ya all these performance multipliers and different architectures are confusing me. I'm still hoping for around 2080 level performance. That would probably be huge jump from the PS4/XB1 GPU's anyway.
I feel we fall between 2070 and 2080. I LL be pleasantly surprised if we hit above 2080 as that's a 800$ gpu releasing this year

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Sure, but peopel were saying that the Navi had a lot of problems and that might be why they delayed or they just had soo much sucess with the ps4 that they decided to delayed the ps5 because of that.

I guess it is possible but if Gonzalo really is PS5 then it seemed to be going fine with those Jan/Apr ES/QS chips and I doubt Sony would choose to delay a year just because PS4 was doing better than expected. Especially because it puts them releasing the same time as the direct competition and will allow a full year on the market for new competition in Stadia.

Then again maybe 2019 release was never the plan in the first place ergo there has been no delay. We'll likely never know now.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So say it's in between a 2070 and a 2080 (non-super) do you think it would an 8-10x (similar to PS3-PS4) increase over the base PS4? I still don't know how to calculate GPU power that well.
No, more like 7 to 7.5 time base PS4 not around 9 or 10. But just look what naughty dog is doing with last of us part 2 on 1.8 TF machine as base. Now imagine what they would do with a cpu 400% stonger and gpu about 7.5 time as powerful mixed with ultra fats SSD and 20 gb of ram for games . They will melt our eyes hehe

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless I completely misunderstand how these things work:

1, 7nm EUV would mean a brand new design
2, Would be impossible to achieve in 1 additional year
it would seem they did do a redesign.

there were rumors of a 2019 launch back in 2018. MS was certain they were going with an 8 tflops GPU. Panello was at MS back then and was sure the PS5 was 8 tflops.

Then something changed. Console seemed to have been delayed to 2020. Now Sony somehow has the more powerful console. 7nm EUV should give a 10-15% reduction in die size allowing them to push clockspeeds higher. its a likely explanation for this sudden shift in tflops wars.

Or MS was always using 7nm EUV as well since they were always targetting holiday 2020 and thats why Phil was so sure of xbox being more powerful. Then Sony saw that and said might as well go with 7nm EUV as well.

Lastly, RDNA2 cards are on 7nm+. We know RDNA2 cards will have RT. We know consoles have RT. Makes sense consoles will be on 7nm+ just like RDNA2 cards which were always designed with EUV/7nm+ in mind.

ammd-rdna2-2020.jpg

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
No, more like 7 to 7.5 time base PS4 not around 9 or 10. But just look what naughty dog is doing with last of us part 2 on 1.8 TF machine as base. Now imagine what they would do with a cpu 400% stonger and gpu about 7.5 time as powerful mixed with ultra fats SSD and 20 gb of ram for games . They will melt our eyes hehe
Ya, it's gonna be crazy. I was just asking because each generation the leap in GPU power gets smaller. I was hoping that maybe this gen could break that trend.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
But then an SSD data cache will require data copied between the two storage devices by definition... so how is that any better?

So if it's big SSD it's basically that and no external option at all?
It's better because it can be unified and transparent for all storage sources, external or internal (or even network maybe?)

If there will be one big SSD and the system will require for a game to remain on this SSD to be ran then you will have to copy a game from external HDD to SSD. The details of how exactly this will be handled can be wildly different of course. But assuming that the system itself doesn't copy anything anywhere when running a game off its SSD would mean that the user will have to perform some actions to make a game stored on external HDD playable off the system's SSD. So it likely won't be completely transparent.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
better to just look at Polaris flops to do a much more accurate comparison to current gen and mid gen GPUs.

Navi seems to be 40% more efficient than Polaris per flop. So 10 tflops Navi is 14 tflops Polaris or ~2.5x X1X and ~3.5x Pro.
Doesn't the difference in architecture matter when comparing performance to older cards as well? Each PlayStation generation had a different architecture for each GPU.

Edit: Sorry if I'm not making much sense I'm just trying to compare this GPU leap to other generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.