• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What do you think could be the memory setup of your preferred console, or one of the new consoles?

• GDDR6

Votes: 566 41.0%
  • GDDR6 + DDR4

Votes: 540 39.2%
  • HBM2

Votes: 53 3.8%
  • HBM2 + DDR4

Votes: 220 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe

"I tried turning 3D Mark Fire Strike / Time Spy with Ryzen 7 3700X default and PPT 55W limited, but there was almost no difference in the CPU part either in terms of score or power"

cc Colbert , anexanhume

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Jun 18, 2018
Shouldn't we be getting decent surround sound (or binaural) audio as default through any pair of headphones..?

We should, but it's not the only part of 3D audio. Binaural deals with how sounds change relative to the direction of the user, as it passes through the skill etc, whereas other forms of 3D audio deal with how audio passes through and / or bounces off a variety of different materials.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Can somebody tell me what presumably 20 Tflop will be capable of doing?
depends on the architecture and a lot of other factors, and also way out of reach for consoles, but in teraflops number this is 11x the PS4's GPU power which would allow you to render close to 4k 90fps on current gen games , and if we use Navi efficiency in that would be 15.5x the PS4's GPU = 4k 120fps on current gen games.

anyway we are not getting anywhere close to that, we will have ~9TF.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Well TrueAudio was already a dedicated dsp integrated into GPUs with the promise of 3D Audio. Cerny was excited about it back then. Yet we see what happened.
www.eurogamer.net

Cerny Computer Entertainment

For years, Digital Foundry has chased the PlayStation 4 story. This week, we talked in-depth with the man who holds all the answers.

More about the 3D audio on PS4 with GPU and ray casting.
That was in 2013.
AMD's TrueAudio wasn't released on PC GPUs till Radeon 2XX series of GCN cards, and was not incorporated in the PS4. PS4 had hardware for compressing/decompressing only, and relied on compute or CPU for processing of audio streams.

Xbox One did have specific audio hardware (SHAPE) on the SOC, not only for compressing/decompressing, but also processing audio streams. I think the tech in the Xbox One is similar to TrueAudio, but is custom devleoped by MS (according to former dev "bkilian")

Oct 25, 2017
AMD's TrueAudio wasn't released on PC GPUs till Radeon 2XX series of GCN cards, and was not incorporated in the PS4. PS4 had hardware for compressing/decompressing only, and relied on compute or CPU for processing of audio streams.

Xbox One did have specific audio hardware (SHAPE) on the SOC, not only for compressing/decompressing, but also processing audio streams. I think the tech in the Xbox One is similar to TrueAudio, but is custom devleoped by MS (according to former dev "bkilian")

Yeah
Custom Tensilica Audio DSP for Xbox One.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From the Scarlett video: Zen 2, 320bit memory bus, SOC around 380+mm2...
What Zen 2 is 12C/12T?
448GB/s with 320 Bit?
44CUs and 380+mm2?

Fake, fake and fake :)
lol i didnt notice 12 threads with 12 cores. makes no sense indeed.

i think 44 CUs can easily fit in a 380mm2 soc though. hell, i think you can fit 56 cus in a 380-400mm2 SoC.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

It was though:

Oct 25, 2017

i think 44 CUs can easily fit in a 380mm2 soc though. hell, i think you can fit 56 cus in a 380-400mm2 SoC.

Yup.
56CU can fit in the estimated Scarlett SOC size.

My predictions based on everything we know so far:

CPU: Zen 2 8C/16T @ 3.2GHz
GPU: RDNA2 with 56CU @ 1.575MHz
RAM: 16GB GDDR6 @ 560GB/s
SSD: 1TB NVMe @ 4GB/s

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
RT audio can do some neat stuff, like edge diffraction, natural reverberation, surface absorption, resonances and standing waves etc.

Would help integrating audio into the environments and make them more immersive - sounds does a bunch of weird stuff that can be counterintuitive (who has never been fooled by sound bouncing of the walls and seemingly coming from different place than it actually did come from?).

Also, should make shooting a gun inside obtusely, deafeningly loud and disorienting.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Exactly from an economical point of view and for indie it is ideal for well known studio. It is more difficult for new indie studio... Subscription will not replace everything, this is just one sales channel...
It depends of the game. Look at Rocket League. Would it have been so successful without PlayStation+?

Of course, subscription isn't necessarly enough, but it can help to find your first consumers, which will talk about your game and maybe stream it.

You are right . Not every publisher offering is suited for subscription based model. Which publisher you see as potential for subscription model based on their offerings ?
I don't know. I'm not even sure another publisher could do it, at least for new titles. If we have more subscriptions, I think it will come from retailers (like Amazon, Steam or even GoG for old games) and not from publishers, because I don't think there is more publisher which are as big to launch their own subscription service.

Xbox Game Pass is strong because it has many first party games, which help to sell the subscription, but also because it has dozens of games coming from indie and third party publishers. But thoses games come because Microsoft has a great relationship with third party publishers and with independant studios (with ID@Xbox). So if Bethesda wants to launch their own subscription service, they should convince Sega, Paradox and THQ to include their games on this subscription and I doubt it would be easy.

But I think many publishers could have something like Stadia in the distant future (10-15 years). You will still need to buy each game individually, but you shouldn't buy a console or a PC to play it.

I am 100% against this subscriptions nonsense. Especially with regards to gaming. I could understand why PS+ and XBL exists. And there is an indisputable added value in getting either of those services.
Not me. Why should we pay for playing online? If I play Sea of Thieves on PC, I don't need to have Xbox Live Gold. If I want to play it on Xbox One, I need to have it. Why?

Just for me, I have PS+, Netflix and Amazon Prime (and would have Youtube TV/PS Vue if it were supported in my region). So what happens if EA, SE, Ubisoft, Activation, Take two...etc all roll out their own subscriptions services. So say we tack on another $5 for each individual service. then Disney wants to make their own sub service.... can't you see where this is going? Honestly, I would rather these companies adopt an ad-supported model, yes make me sit through 30-sec ads at certain intervals or whatnot. I would take that over paying for yet another subscription any day.
As long as you have the choice, I don't see any problem with that. If you want to see a new TV Show on Netflix, you must subscribe; I agree, it sucks. But if you want to play Sea of Thieves, Anthem or Watch Dogs Legion, you can subscribe, but you also can buy it individually. In the video game industry, subscriptions add more choices, so as long as it remains like that, I think it's only positive.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
depends on the architecture and a lot of other factors, and also way out of reach for consoles, but in teraflops number this is 11x the PS4's GPU power which would allow you to render close to 4k 90fps on current gen games , and if we use Navi efficiency in that would be 15.5x the PS4's GPU = 4k 120fps on current gen games.

anyway we are not getting anywhere close to that, we will have ~9TF.
giphy.gif

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

Directly from an Audiokinetics guy, it was not inside the PS4 maybe they use TrueAudio only for compression/decompression...

And the Dominic Mallinson slide no trace of AMD trueAudio DSP

EDIT:
Digital Foundry: Is there dedicated audio processing hardware within the PlayStation 4? What can it do?

Mark Cerny: There's dedicated audio hardware. The principal thing that it does is that it compresses and decompresses audio streams, various formats. So some of that is for the games - you'll have many, many audio streams in MP3 or another format and the hardware will take care of that for you. Or, on the system side for example, audio chat - the compression and decompression of that

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
@11.3TF.
Navi with Raytracing, VRS and other new things. Can be full RDNA2? We don't know.
Thanks. I'm still in the 9-13 RDNA FLOPS range (depending on the performance multiplier). How big of an advantage does 7nm+ give over 7nm?
RT audio can do some neat stuff, like edge diffraction, natural reverberation, surface absorption, resonances and standing waves etc.

Would help integrating audio into the environments and make them more immersive - sounds does a bunch of weird stuff that can be counterintuitive (who has never been fooled by sound bouncing of the walls and seemingly coming from different place than it actually did come from?).

Also, should make shooting a gun inside obtusely, deafeningly loud and disorienting.
Judging by the crazy 3D audio demos on Youtube, its gonna be insane. That's if Sony and MS implement it well.

Last edited:

Rylen

Feb 5, 2019

52-56 I'm hoping
1650-1750 MHz

I think something with these specs can be pretty power efficient from what's been shown with Navi, especially if RDNA2 on 7mm+

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox devkit specs from polish forum:
CPU: Custom Zen 2 CPU / 12c/12t, 2.5GHz no turbo
RAM: 24GB GDDR6 448 GB/s (20GB available for games)
GPU: Custom Navi GPU - 44CU / Clock: 2000MHz
FPU: 4CU
SSD: 1TB
API: Next Generation LL API

Doesn't sound too reliably but still "leak" ;)
I'm immediately wary of any rumour that has more than 8 cores. I'm always wondering how well multithreaded most game engines actually are that 12c @ 2.5GHz would end up being more useful than less cores w/ higher speeds.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Yes, but for PSN I don't think it matters. I'm pretty sure the data cap is less than even 250 Mb/s. Do you know how fast download time is from disc to HDD?

I think it depends where you reside in relation to AWS server that PSN is built on. I get speeds between 250 and over 400 Mb/s. On the other hand, I think MS has a hard cap of around 125 Mb/s, a speed I have never exceeded despite lacking any background tasks. I hope it changes with the new gen.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Haha why ? The other guy has 1000mbps .let's be both jealous of him and not my tiny 250 haha
Because 250Mbps would be a big upgrade for my current 100Mbps. If the block I living in would allow 250Mbps it probably would allow me 500Mbps and 1000Mbps because of a technology change. But 250Mbps would be for the same price as my current 100Mbps line, so I would start with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.