• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Gotta get this off my chest...

Fun Fact: what do...

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
Spider-Man PS4
Grand Theft Auto 4

...all have in common?

All three were world premiere Game Informer cover reveals written by our know-nothing friend Andrew Reiner!

Andrew was flown by those those publishers(at their expense) to cover those niche indy games and write a feature about them before anyone else in the world.

So way before era/reddit/neogaf were busy scanning his fucking articles, he was, you know, putting a comprehensive feature together about the game months before you or I had a chance to read it.

So I have a little suggestion for those who are again tempted to question Andrew's journalistic integrity and/or sling his reputation through the mud to follow these two simple steps.

A) Use objective, critical thinking

B) Post thought-provoking opinion

Full disclosure, I am not saying Andrew is one of the next generation console knowledge deities or cannot be challenged but journalistic ethics is a real thing friends. They have been taken to court over those ideals, don't get it twisted.

Y'all can do what you like, but if there is anyone outside of maybe SIE/MS whose information I can take at face value, it's Andrew Reiner.

Rant over

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That rumor tom warren referenced is most likely the 12.9TF rumor, that was debunked.
why would the editor of verge quote a random crossaint rumor lol

hes got his own sources just like reiner and colin. he was at E3 at the time.

i mean we can keep ignoring rumors that point to the ps5 having 56 CUs, but at some point, we have to start looking at all the pieces and those pieces point to the ps5 being a monster 12.9 to 14.2 tflops monster.

read his second tweet. he said MS is going to mention the specs if they have the most powerful console, MS did not. Which means MS got the same info him, reiner, and colin did. And MS kept quite on the tflops count after gloating about it before the Pro was even revealed.

Trust me, Warren is right, if MS was sure they had a powerful GPU, they wouldve been screaming at the top of their lungs. I am pretty sure MS was at 11 tflops (56 CU at 1.55 Ghz) and is now going back to see if they can push the clocks up higher.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tend to agree but I'm getting really curious about why not a single outlet or recognised game journo has done a detailed article about the Komachi/APISAK finds. Richard's article about Gonzalo was more about whether APISAKS method of decoding was valid than it was about PS5 info. A follow up would be very interesting now!

I know that we're excited about these finds, but is there really enough to warrant a follow up yet? I expect the smaller outlets to give us weird recaps of this stuff, but I'd rather DF save their energy for the full thing.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

i mean we can keep ignoring rumors that point to the ps5 having 56 CUs, but at some point, we have to start looking at all the pieces and those pieces point to the ps5 being a monster 12.9 to 14.2 tflops monster.

read his second tweet. he said MS is going to mention the specs if they have the most powerful console, MS did not. Which means MS got the same info him, reiner, and colin did. And MS kept quite on the tflops count after gloating about it before the Pro was even revealed.

Trust me, Warren is right, if MS was sure they had a powerful GPU, they wouldve been screaming at the top of their lungs. I am pretty sure MS was at 11 tflops (56 CU at 1.55 Ghz) and is now going back to see if they can push the clocks up higher.
For the same reason benji tweeted about the 12.9TF rumors thinking its legit and was later told by someone in the know that this is wrong and delete it.
I tend to agree but I'm getting really curious about why not a single outlet or recognised game journo has done a detailed article about the Komachi/APISAK finds. Richard's article about Gonzalo was more about whether APISAKS method of decoding was valid than it was about PS5 info. A follow up would be very interesting now!
I think its hard to explain at its current form as its just a bunch of somewhat disjointed tweets. If komachi ends up writing that article then i expect more will report on this.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
In terms of next Gen console data.....all I will say is....those who know, don't tell and those who are speaking, don't know.

And I'm out...

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom

Spider-Man PS4
Grand Theft Auto 4

...all have in common?

All three were world premiere Game Informer cover reveals written by our know-nothing friend Andrew Reiner!

Andrew was flown by those those publishers(at their expense) to cover those niche indy games and write a feature about them before anyone else in the world.

So way before era/reddit/neogaf were busy scanning his fucking articles, he was, you know, putting a comprehensive feature together about the game months before you or I had a chance to read it.

So I have a little suggestion for those who are again tempted to question Andrew's journalistic integrity and/or sling his reputation through the mud to follow these two simple steps.

Full disclosure, I am not saying Andrew is one of the next generation console knowledge deities or cannot be challenged but journalistic ethics is a real thing friends. They have been taken to court over those ideals, don't get it twisted.

Y'all can do what you like, but if there is anyone outside of maybe SIE/MS whose information I can take at face value, it's Andrew Reiner.

Rant over

I fully agree with everything you've said, but then I consider the folks actually perpetrating what you're arguing against and it's pretty clear both A) and B) is asking waaaay too much from them.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia

Outside of Digital Foundry and Anandtech, I can scantly remember off the top of my head - any mainstream sites or game journos who are genuinely interested in granular tech analysis and an understanding of CPU/GPU/APU, etc.

Most game journalist don't even know how to read sales charts and still get mixed up on sell-in/sell-out.

A large part of gaming journalism are just enthusiast reporting of just their gaming hobbies.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Spider-Man PS4
Grand Theft Auto 4

...all have in common?

Rant over
it's not Reiner, it's simple good old fashioned fanboyism. Xbox vs ps. Reiner is just colllateral damage. Some people were so conditioned by Microsoft to believe they would have a stronger box that they are now dismissing anyone who says otherwise.

Andrew, colin, Tom Warren, everyone that heard the same info is wrong because Phil promised the most powerful console last year.

That's our reality.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019

Spider-Man PS4
Grand Theft Auto 4

...all have in common?

Rant over

I agree.
No matter what anyone in here says, I believe what Andrew said that day MS had their conference. I noticed a total change in what MS was saying on stage. "the most powerful xbox we ever created" was when I knew something wasnt right.
When I saw Andrews tweet, i said "Bingo, there it is"

Last edited:

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
You don't need to be a technical expert to understand what it means when a dev tells you one thing is stronger than the other.

Some folks in here are acting like he was given the specs and then made the judgement of what was more powerful.
Things like that are funny. Even funnier when you consider that most of those people calling for his head would be saying the same thing if he had come out and said Scarlett was stronger. As it stands, there are people more willing to take rumors from less reputable sources that scarlett is stronger.
Once upon a time game media operated on the fringes of the companies. Now they work in tandem with them. No one wants to get blacklisted. Case there is no way a lot of the people in-game media hasn't heard concrete information by now. They know devs and a lot of those devs are working on or at least know about next-gen hardware.
I agree.
No matter what anyone in here says, I believe what Andrew said that day MS had their conference. I noticed a total change in what MS was saying on stage. "the most powerful lest xbox we ever created" was when I knew something wasnt right.
When I saw Andrews tweet, i said "Bingo, there it is"
For me, I think that was the real giveaway. Even if Reiner hadn't said anything. The company that had been drumming it into everyone's head about how they were the most powerful this and that was now making comments like those platform-specific. The way I see it, is that if MS were certain they would be most powerful they wouldn't have worded their reveal as they did. The fact they aren't just simply means that right now it could g either way. MS, after all, isn't known for their tact or humility. Even when losing a gen they still found a way to talk about MAUs.

Last edited:

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Outside of Digital Foundry and Anandtech, I can scantly remember off the top of my head - any mainstream sites or game journos who are genuinely interested in granular tech analysis and an understanding of CPU/GPU/APU, etc.

Most game journalist don't even know how to read sales charts and still get mixed up on sell-in/sell-out.

A large part of gaming journalism are just enthusiast reporting of just their gaming hobbies.

Actually you make a very good point and I keep forgetting the vast majority of gaming sites don't really care or even understand the tech spec stuff (not that I'm an expert, mind).

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

I think your CU guess is close, but you're suggesting that Sony is able to get 450MHz more out of the same GPU arch, with same CU count, as MS is? That sounds unlikely.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
I think your CU guess is close, but you're suggesting that Sony is able to get 450MHz more out of the same GPU arch, with same CU count, as MS is? That sounds unlikely.
You aren't taking what he said into context.

Getting a 36CU Navi GPU to clock at up to 1.8Ghz isn't the issue. If sony is doing anything great it's getting it to clock 200Mhz more than that. MS wouldn't have a problem getting anything to clock as high as 1800Mhz. Doesn't mean they can do whatever sony is doing to push it to 2Ghz. However, even if MS is clocking at 1800Mhz, then they can't do that for a 44CU/48CU/52CU GPU, because at those sizes their issue becomes power consumption and size of everything.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i got the 1.55ghz number back when the rumors of 11.1 tflops anaconda were going around. Sony was at 1.8 ghz at the time. I think the reason why Phil didnt mention their tflops number is because he wants to see how far they can push their clocks. I fully expect them to go well over 1.55 ghz. I think they will top out at 1.7 ghz and hit 12 tflops. this way if the ps5 is 12.9, no one would really care if the xbox was 12.1.

Sony hitting 2.0 ghz is insane and makes no sense to me. i could justify 1.8 ghz by pointing to the Flute leak which showed reduced cache on the CPU, or by speculating HBM2+DDR4 combo or the 15-20% gains you get on 7nm+, but 2.0 ghz is something i didnt see coming. I think Sony realized that MS was going to get close to their 1.8 ghz clock and decided to see how far they can push it. Oberon might still just be a experimental version.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I treat all rumors I hear the same, and apply the same level of objectivity. Trust, but verify. The more broken chains in the traceability of a rumor, the less confidence I have in it.

rumors that point to the ps5 having 56 CUs
What rumors? I haven't seen any reliable rumor indicating this.

I am pretty sure MS was at 11 tflops (56 CU at 1.55 Ghz)
Based on what information?

StrykerIsland

Oct 25, 2017
Being able to resume your game without having to completely boot it up again is a great feature, in other words instant on. But honestly I don't find the feature all that good, at least not on Xbox One.

For several months now I had been using energy saving and today while playing Witcher 3 I decided to use instant on again, so that I can resume the game when I get back home. Sadly the game was closed when I got back home, all too often games just aren't able to resume at all.

On top of that come all kinds of weird issues when I use energy saving. I really hope they improve this.
Works perfectly on PS4.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
i got the 1.55ghz number back when the rumors of 11.1 tflops anaconda were going around. Sony was at 1.8 ghz at the time. I think the reason why Phil didnt mention their tflops number is because he wants to see how far they can push their clocks. I fully expect them to go well over 1.55 ghz. I think they will top out at 1.7 ghz and hit 12 tflops. this way if the ps5 is 12.9, no one would really care if the xbox was 12.1.

Sony hitting 2.0 ghz is insane and makes no sense to me. i could justify 1.8 ghz by pointing to the Flute leak which showed reduced cache on the CPU, or by speculating HBM2+DDR4 combo or the 15-20% gains you get on 7nm+, but 2.0 ghz is something i didnt see coming. I think Sony realized that MS was going to get close to their 1.8 ghz clock and decided to see how far they can push it. Oberon might still just be a experimental version.

Based on the die estimate, I think 56 CU is extremely likely for Scarlett. But the 2 GHz PS5 thing also seems as solid as any data we have right now. An alternative story would be that Sony is turning clocks as high as they can on a 36/40 CU chip to try to make up ground on Scarlett. But that would make Reiner completely wrong, which also seems unlikely.

I agree there did seem to be some tone change from MS. So maybe Sony has gotten very high clocks out of more CUs than people think is feasible?

It will be very interesting to finally find out which pieces of data were real!

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
How did we get to a point where people are speculating 12+TF again?

Wishful thinking based on numbers. If we were told PS5/Xbox next would have a 13Tflops VEGA gpu, people would be amazed. But 9Tflops Navi doesn't sound "as big" or "as good". So we might think of crazy way of thinking we may get over 10Tflops when actual hardware testing contradict that possibility, unless of course, both sony and ms aimed for a higher price than 500 dollars and for a higher tdp than usual.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Every single game.
There isnt a game out there you can't suspend and resume on, on ps4.
Obviously if you are in a online game it will kick you back to the lobby tho. but thats about it
Maybe i should try suspend and resume more. I usually just save and turn off, but i guess the cool kids aint just shutting their consoles down anymore :p

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Every single game.
There isnt a game out there you can't suspend and resume on, on ps4.
Obviously if you are in a online game it will kick you back to the lobby tho. but thats about it

Well, Jesus. That's something Xbox can really improve on greatly then. Too often game just close down and this for me defeats the whole purpose of instant on.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What rumors? I haven't seen any reliable rumor indicating this.
Based on what information?

They are based off Bullshit leaks.

• Tom Warren Rumor:
  • Scarlett die size estimates in this very thread point to 56 CUs. Reiner said PS5 is stronger which means the PS5 also has at least 56 CUs, clocked higher to get more tflops. Which could also explain why Colin said the PS5 is DEFINITIVELY more powerful.
  • 4Chan leak in April mentioned 1849 mhz clockspeed which gets us 13.2 tflops. It also lines up with the gonzolo rumor which showed 18 (or 1.8 ghz). its entirely possible that gonzolo was 1.849 this entire time and 13 tflops instead of 12.9 like we all though.
  • RuthenticCookie who called the Sony E3 cancellation a week before it happened also said the PS5 is a monster. That Sony is going to lose $100. This is before months the RDNA reveal. I doubt anyone was
  • Jason Schrier in this very thread said both MS and Sony were aiming to top Google's 10.7 tflops number. Again, this is BEFORE we knew about RDNA. He specifically said number.
  • "In other words, don't expect much in the way of substantial leakage just yet. The only thing to know for sure is that both Sony and Microsoft are aiming higher than that '10.7 teraflops' number that Google threw out last week. (And, as has been reported, Microsoft's got a few things in the works.)"
  • Then there are the more less reliable leaks, but have proven to be more correct than 99% of the people in this thread. They confirmed hardware RT and SSD months before the official confirmation when almost everyone here was laughing at that suggestion.
  • The project episilon leak is riddled with errors and most likely fake, but i am surprised by how much this pastebin got right months before we knew anything. https://pastebin.com/PY9vaTsR
    • - No Sony at E3.​
    • - GTA6 set in Miami and NYC. (this was corroborated by another gta6 rumor a few months later)​
    • - 8k upscaling (curious how sony mentioned this)​
    • - retina tracking and wireless PSVR (someone here found a sony patent for this)​

So we have 4 industry vets, 2 saying higher than 10.7 tflops, 2 saying PS5 is more powerful, plus a bunch of leaks than line up with the gonzalo leaks. But almost everyone seems to ignore all of this and had no trouble believing era insiders who created threads right after the PS5 reveal claiming the Xbox Anaconda was more powerful based on no information on PS5 tflops counts. They even ignored Brad Sams who changed his tune from MS aiming to be more powerful to simply matching Sony on performance. This was back in March.

I just find it funny that when Gonzalo was first leaked to have 1.0 ghz clock, everyone assumed a 64 CU part. 8 tflops. Then when 1.8 ghz was revealed, everyone went down to 36 CUs. Once again, 8 tflops. When Navi was revealed and it looked like 40 CU might be on the cards. And now that it has a 2.0 ghz clock, we are down to 36 CUs? We seem to downgrade the PS5 after every piece of good news. Its hilarious.

Jan 17, 2019
I just find it funny that when Gonzalo was first leaked to have 1.0 ghz clock, everyone assumed a 64 CU part. 8 tflops. Then when 1.8 ghz was revealed, everyone went down to 36 CUs. Once again, 8 tflops. When Navi was revealed and it looked like 40 CU might be on the cards. And now that it has a 2.0 ghz clock, we are down to 36 CUs? We seem to downgrade the PS5 after every piece of good news. Its hilarious.

Because it must be weaker at every cost. :D

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Jesus. That's something Xbox can really improve on greatly then. Too often game just close down and this for me defeats the whole purpose of instant on.

Yeah. I definitely agree that Microsoft should copy Playstation here.

On Playstation, if I start and then suspend a game, the console makes damn sure I know of scenarios in which the suspended game might close down.

Trying to start up another game? The PS4 gives a prompt to make sure you're ok with closing the current suspended game.

Trying to update the system firmware? You get the same prompt about closing suspended software.

I don't know all the specifics, but I know that my Xbox is very willing to shut down suspended games without warning. IIRC, there's also a "glitch" where certain apps can cause a suspended game to close without prompting you.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
  • Tom Warren Rumor:
  • Scarlett die size estimates in this very thread point to 56 CUs. Reiner said PS5 is stronger which means the PS5 also has at least 56 CUs, clocked higher to get more tflops. Which could also explain why Colin said the PS5 is DEFINITIVELY more powerful.
  • 4Chan leak in April mentioned 1849 mhz clockspeed which gets us 13.2 tflops. It also lines up with the gonzolo rumor which showed 18 (or 1.8 ghz). its entirely possible that gonzolo was 1.849 this entire time and 13 tflops instead of 12.9 like we all though.
  • RuthenticCookie who called the Sony E3 cancellation a week before it happened also said the PS5 is a monster. That Sony is going to lose $100. This is before months the RDNA reveal. I doubt anyone was
  • Jason Schrier in this very thread said both MS and Sony were aiming to top Google's 10.7 tflops number. Again, this is BEFORE we knew about RDNA. He specifically said number.

• Then there are the more less reliable leaks, but have proven to be more correct than 99% of the people in this thread. They confirmed hardware RT and SSD months before the official confirmation when almost everyone here was laughing at that suggestion.
  • The project episilon leak is riddled with errors and most likely fake, but i am surprised by how much this pastebin got right months before we knew anything. https://pastebin.com/PY9vaTsR
    • - No Sony at E3.​
    • - GTA6 set in Miami and NYC. (this was corroborated by another gta6 rumor a few months later)​
    • - retina tracking and wireless PSVR (someone here found a sony patent for this)​

So we have 4 industry vets, 2 saying higher than 10.7 tflops, 2 saying PS5 is more powerful, plus a bunch of leaks than line up with the gonzalo leaks. But almost everyone seems to ignore all of this and had no trouble believing era insiders who created threads right after the PS5 reveal claiming the Xbox Anaconda was more powerful based on no information on PS5 tflops counts. They even ignored Brad Sams who changed his tune from MS aiming to be more powerful to simply matching Sony on performance. This was back in March.

Thanks for breaking it down like this.

Bullet-point format makes all this info so much more digestible, especially since we're dealing with leaks/rumours spanning several months.

lol @ that last line though. It does seem that way sometimes.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
  • Tom Warren Rumor:

• - No Sony at E3.​

Also, The 12.9 rumor accompanied by the meeting pictures was the most believable rumor we had in the last couple years. Everything else has been based on logical guesswork pulled out of thin air based on current technology which is not what we're dealing with.

56cu at 2ghz is what, 14.2tf? This is far more believable than anything sub 10tf.

Remember when:

We laughed at the idea of SSD in next gen - now confirmed to be fastest SSD available

We laughed at Ray Tracing in next gen - now confirmed to have dedicated hardware

We laughed at HBM2 - now seems more plausible than ever

Now we're laughing at more than 10tf, I guarantee 90% will change their tune in 6 months and pretend they expected it all along lol

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do you explain Navi 10 Lite? Navi 10 is not 56 CUs
where does it say that Navi 10 can only have 56 CUs?

Does Navi 10 have RT? PS5 has RT.

Why can it have RT and not have more CUs? a 2.0 Ghz clock almost assures that its on 7nm+. 7nm+ gives 15-20% die size reduction. that should give allow them to add 56 CUs without going over 320mm2. smaller than the pro die size.

Also, The 12.9 rumor accompanied by the meeting pictures was the most believable rumor we had in the last couple years. Everything else has been based on logical guesswork pulled out of thin air based on current technology which is not what we're dealing with.

56cu at 2ghz is what, 14.2tf? This is far more believable than anything sub 10tf.

Yes. 14.2 tflops is exactly what the pastebin leak back in october mentioned. 14.3 tflops was on that hilarious project epsilon leak back in April 2018. Ruthentic cookie also hinted at 14 tflops but i cant find that post.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

That 12.9 TF rumor was debunked, there was indeed a meeting held on that day from Sony, but it wasn't related to the gaming division.

Oct 27, 2017
  • Tom Warren Rumor:

• - No Sony at E3.​

You have my axe.

PS5: 72 CUs @ 2000 = 18.4 TF

Bring on the megatons!

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which rumors are "most definitely correct"?
the ones that obey the laws of physics which seem to change after every gonzolo leak. Next Consoles wont go over 1.5 ghz! Few months later, laws of physics are bent by the will of Cerny and 1.8 ghz becomes the law of the land.

Two months later, laws of physics are set aside as 2.0 ghz becomes the magical standard.

You have my axe.

PS5: 72 CUs @ 2000 = 18.4 TF

Bring on the megatons!

you are not helping lol

I can believe the rumor that the PS5 is 13 teraflops...

...if it was based on an early devkit with a Vega GPU.

this was at E3. two months after Cerny said the devkits went out. 2 months after the 1.8 ghz gonzolo qualifying sample which likely went into those devkits. Orbis dev kit with 1.8 tflops GPU went out around the same time last gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.