• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
I think you need more than 12 Navi Tflops for 2080 performance. A 2100mhz 5700XT is still 10% below a 2080 and that's close to 11 Tflops.

that is really per game, some games seem to perform pretty much the same in 1440p between both cards, if not ahead of the 2080 going by these results. its just many games are better optimized for NVidia.
is this comparison between the normal 2080 or the 2080FE?

Nov 2, 2017
Yes, it's going to be close. But that 5700XT is limited by its ram bandwidth. I expect more bandwidth for both consoles and I hope for about 11.3 tfops for both.
They also overclocked the memory by 10%. It might still be bandwidth limited, not sure how much bandwidth Navi needs.

that is really per game, some games seem to perform pretty much the same in 1440p between both cards, if not ahead of the 2080 going by these results. its just many games are better optimized for NVidia.
is this comparison between the normal 2080 or the 2080FE?
I don't know if it's the 2080FE. With GPU boost 3 I don't think it matters much because any decent AIB card boosts to the same or higher clocks as the FE anyway.

This is Timespy which doesn't particularly favor Nvidia or AMD. Look how the other cards relate to each other. The 2070 Super is about 10% faster than the stock 5700XT and that's exactly how it compares to the 5700XT if you look the average of multiple games. I'd say that makes Timespy a good benchmark to use.

www.computerbase.de

Grafikkarten-Rangliste 2024: GPUs im Vergleich

Welche Grafikkarte kaufen? Für den März gibt es Empfehlungen mit Nvidia GeForce RTX 4000, AMD Radeon RX 7000 und Intel Arc.
www.techpowerup.com

AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Review

The AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT is based on AMD's all-new Navi 10 GPU featuring the RDNA architecture. We thoroughly test the card's gaming performance and look at power, heat, noise, overclocking, and clock frequency stability, too, sometimes with surprising results.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Zen2, 1080Ti-grade graphics, fast SSD and lots of RAM will enable devs to create really impressive games.

The only true roadblock will be crossgen games, they will limit the scope of ambitious games. We'll see if MS will force their crossgen approach for long, but for Sony I think they will go full force with nextgen-only titles from the start.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
Makes sense since they are both using Azure. Having Xbox servers that can be used for anything, then PS5 only for PS5 games, doesn't, make them compatible with each other, and the PS5 servers are basically Xbox servers, used for anything.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Zen2, 1080Ti-grade graphics, fast SSD and lots of RAM will enable devs to create really impressive games.

The only true roadblock will be crossgen games, they will limit the scope of ambitious games. We'll see if MS will force their crossgen approach for long, but for Sony I think they will go full force with nextgen-only titles from the start.
i dont think we will have a lot of RAM, i think that will be the compromise we will see, i expect 16GB GDDR6 and thats it, sony (based on flute) going with 8 (256bit) 2GB chips of 18gbps = 576GB/s bandwidth and MS (based on scarlett video) using 10 14gbps chips, 6 chips being 2GB, 4 chips being 1GB (320bit) = 560GB/s bandwidth.
it will be nice if we will see 20GB or more, but i dont expect it.
i wont be surrpised if there will be 4GB DDR4 for the OS.

Maverick-Swe

Nov 26, 2017
Sweden
It's only august and the hype is already alive and living :-D 15 months until launch -Nov 2020. 6 months until potential Sony conference - Feb 2020.

Best time to be a gamer.
Worst time is Nov-December 2020 when all games on next gen consoles look like last gen and nobody is impressed lol.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
if both consoles performance are super close, i wonder if they are actually going for the same design (same amount of compute units and close clock speeds) with the difference just being a slightly better cooling on one side for a slightly faster console, or if they are actually different designs (one priotising more compute units and lower clocks while the other is going for a smaller chip with higher clocks) and one design beats the other in performance slightly, in fact, in such a case, the wider design might lead slightly in TF but lose in real world performance due to further efficiency from the clocks.

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
With gamescom 2019 being just a few days away (20-24 August), we will soon have more information (ticket details) on Xbox X019 in November. There's also the Inside Xbox on August 19, at 5 p.m. CEST / 11 a.m. ET / 8 a.m. PT. And also the Opening Night presentation which may or may not feature something from Sony (PlayStation Experience 2019 announcement?).

Sony's FY2019 Q2 Earnings Announcement isn't until October 30 and with X019 being in November announcing PlayStation Experience in conjunction with the earnings release may provide too little time for the message to really reach a broader audience, at least if PlayStation Experience is also targeted for November.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
With gamescom 2019 being just a few days away (20-24 August), we will soon have more information (ticket details) on Xbox X019 in November. There's also the Inside Xbox on August 19, at 5 p.m. CEST / 11 a.m. ET / 8 a.m. PT. And also the Opening Night presentation which may or may not feature something from Sony (PlayStation Experience 2019 announcement?).

Sony's FY2019 Q2 Earnings Announcement isn't until October 30 and with X019 being in November announcing PlayStation Experience in conjunction with the earnings release may provide too little time for the message to really reach a broader audience, at least if PlayStation Experience is also targeted for November.
Arent sony usually announcing PSX pretty randomly?

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Guys 9 RDNA tflops outperforms 13-14 GCN flops easily and since we know both PS5 and Scarlett are above 9.2 RDNA tflops, that nearly 13tf GPU in PS5 dev-kit from benji seems legit and based on RDNA!

o7dk67c4ejv21.jpg

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
anexanhume has an avatar bet? With whom?
I countered another poster's arguments as overly pessimistic and said I'd be willing to do an account ban if neither console reached 10TF. That poster never accepted (one other poster mockingly said I could just request a ban now without the showmanship). Once the mods announced they didn't endorse ban bets, I asked what my avatar should be in the event neither hits 10TF.

cjn83

Banned
Jul 25, 2018
So, the new information we got from Klee is...

-Sony delaying the PS5's release from 2019 to 2020 back in 2017 due to BC issues
-The TF counts for both Sony and MS's machine are above 9.2
-The delta between the PS5 and Scarlett is minuscule, as most reasonable people should have expected

Am I missing anything?

Critical thinking?

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get that people are thirsty for new info, but man, this whole "insider" stuff is kind of ridiculous. Most of the time they don't tell us anything special and we either get:

1.) Extremely safe predictions ("Next-gen will be more than 9TF", "PS5 ray-tracing will be hardware", "PS4 BC is enhanced")

2.) Meaningless / vague info ("I saw a next-gen game and your eyes will melt!")

3.) Info that can't possibly be verified ("Sony delayed PS5 because of BC")

4.) Wrong info ("Things change!")

5.) Excuses when asked for specifics ("Can't tell more, need to protect sources", "I need to go", "NDA!")

Oh and of course this:

6.) Gets offended by critical questions

Why don't we ever hear any big, concrete info from those "insiders" like the exact memory amount, TF number and stuff like that (It's already out there)? Because they don't know, and it could easily be verified at some point. I honestly don't believe any of those insiders. Imo they mostly don't know anything and just enjoy the attention they get here.

And there is a reason why (good) journalists don't print this shit. Imo the only good info we will get is either from them or from official sources. I know the wait sucks, but that's how it is.

PS: Counting the seconds until someone posts "You are scaring the insiders off!! Dear @insider, I really want to apologize! We still love you!" - lol.
I mean, with this kind of attitude, if I were an insider, I wouldn't tell you jack shit either

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I get that people are thirsty for new info, but man, this whole "insider" stuff is kind of ridiculous. Most of the time they don't tell us anything special and we either get:

1.) Extremely safe predictions ("Next-gen will be more than 9TF", "PS5 ray-tracing will be hardware", "PS4 BC is enhanced")

5.) Excuses when asked for specifics ("Can't tell more, need to protect sources", "I need to go", "NDA!")

Oh and of course this:

Why don't we ever hear any big, concrete info from those "insiders" like the exact memory amount, TF number and stuff like that (It's already out there)? Because they don't know, and it could easily be verified at some point. I honestly don't believe any of those insiders. Imo they mostly don't know anything and just enjoy the attention they get here.

And there is a reason why (good) journalists don't print this shit. Imo the only good info we will get is either from them or from official sources. I know the wait sucks, but that's how it is.

PS: Counting the seconds until someone posts "You are scaring the insiders off!! Dear @insider, I really want to apologize! We still love you!" - lol.

Again it is not the message. It is the people who deliver the message that is important. I follow the old forum since a long time and I have confidence about what Kleegamefan told us because of the messenger. Same things if a mod like Matt or Zhuge told something or someone working in industry like Shinobi602. Imo the most important things for trust some information is who is the messenger. If it was Tidus, I would be 😀

And he is not giving us too much because things change if the difference of GPU Power between Xbox Scarlett and PS5 is less than 10%, this is like they are equal, saying the PS5 is faster than Scarlett is stupid for example because it can change and it will probably not even being meaningful...

Edit: And seeing Andrew Reiner problem because he told PS5 is more powerful than Scarlett, this is better to not give details...

Last edited:

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I mean, with this kind of attitude, if I were an insider, I wouldn't tell you jack shit either
Same. If you have a sense of entitlement with regards to what other people do with their leisure time, a little self-examination is important.

If the cycle and din without substantive updates is taxing, I'd advise just leaving the thread, if only for a few days. Any major news will break through and grab your attention via other means.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
It tickles me that we STILL don't have any meaningful new info.

I don't have any reason to believe that Klee wasn't telling the truth about what he had heard from a developer friend back in June E3 time frame as he stated, but all that we really got was some possible insight into the journey of things along the way and the not the ultimate destination/outcome. A logical view of things though is that neither will have a significant raw power advantage over the other if releasing in 2020 at the same price point, but that doesn't tell the final story on real world performance in games either.

Developer Ed Boon from Mortal Kombat said nobody can speak about final performance on these things until there is final dev kits that have been worked with and games optimized to them. And there is strong reason to believe that the PS5 dev kits were out some number of months sooner than Scarlett dev kits based on public words from mods here late last year/early this year about PS5 dev kits being in developer hands already and then rumors about preview Scarlett dev kits only out after GDC this year, along with all of the Gonzalo leaks for PS5 dev kits that go a ways back too. This could very well mean that PS5 dev kits even at the E3 time frame could have been considered a revision further along/first production target as compared to what I would expect to be the first production target dev kit for Scarlett later this fall if they were not out in preview form until say April this year.

I suspect that if they end up very close on paper raw specs wise then two areas to pay attention to possible advantage or differentiation based on public words and focus would be a possibly faster SSD in PS5 and more customized CPU in Scarlett that could provide more consistent frame rates.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Same. If you have a sense of entitlement with regards to what other people do with their leisure time, a little self-examination is important.

If the cycle and din without substantive updates is taxing, I'd advise just leaving the thread, if only for a few days. Any major news will break through and grab your attention via other means.

I want to know something about one Sony Interactive entertainment engineer working on open source AVX 512 code too. Curious to see if there is customized AVX 512 instructions inside PS5 CPU maybe needing double-cycle than a pure AVX512 implementation.

Last edited:

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Klee has been around when GAF was still part of Gaming-Age.com if I'm not mistaken. He's 'old school' and had proven his bonafides for years.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
if they're both pretty much identical, that is good.

- we can still have fun discussions about specific technical implementations for each console, while understanding they don't necessarily impact real world performance that much
- Battleground next gen will be more software and services. In particular if MS put their full weight behind the next Xbox, I can see them throwing money at gamepass in particular to try and pull people across from Playstation. Sony's counter will be their strong first party plus the natural stickiness of network services due to current high digital purchases + BC.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Kleegamefan's an ex-editor for a major videogame publication.

He has waaaaay more credibility that pastebin #929129829292, or "random reddit poster #1891818".

If you don't know who he is, read his posts and educate yourself.

Unlike other "so-called" insiders on Era, Kleegamefan has been very transparent about who he is. He's precisely the kind of person divulging information we should be putting a little more trust in.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Kleegamefan's an ex-editor for a major videogame publication.

He has waaaaay more credibility that pastebin #929129829292, or "random reddit poster #1891818".

If you don't know who he is, read his posts and educate yourself.

Unlike other "so-called" insiders on Era, Kleegamefan has been very transparent about who he is. He's precisely the kind of person divulging information we should be putting a little more trust in.
I'd still rather he will go through a verification, just to have it more official with no reason to doubt what they say and to avoid further accusations from users.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
why do you need verification on a speculation thread? You just apply whatever filter you deem fit to their comments. Personally he has history and I'm familiar with his posts for years so what he says has some weight to me personally.

Oct 25, 2017
So now we in the ~11TF range. Imagine having the baseline for next gen being a 10-11TF console. It was a 1.31TF console for this gen and we got some pretty great stuff.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

Oh and of course this:

They don't tell us anything specific, but they do help us set boundaries and not engage in needless speculation. Like thanks to insiders we know they will have hardware RT. We know they will be above 9.2TF.

Its not a good as the good old cboat days.... but its what we've got.
So now we in the ~11TF range. Imagine having the baseline for next gen being a 10-11TF console. It was a 1.31TF console for this gen and we got some pretty great stuff.
Not really, we just know its above 9.2 and its NOT 10.2. It could be under 10.2, no less than 9.2 or above 10.2.
I'd still rather he will go through a verification, just to have it more official with no reason to doubt what they say and to avoid further accusations from users.
I don't think that's necessary. He's made it clear that people can believe him or not. If people choose not to, then they should just say they don't. N need to accuse or attack him for saying anything.

As it stands, what he has said is totally harmless.

Last edited:

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone doubting Kleegamefan should knock it off. He predates RoboPlato and I - and we've been around the old forum since 2007. He's got quite a history of existing.

Most importantly he presented information in a non biased, succinct, and informative way. He genuinely thinks both machines will be fire. That's good enough for me.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense since they are both using Azure. Having Xbox servers that can be used for anything, then PS5 only for PS5 games, doesn't, make them compatible with each other, and the PS5 servers are basically Xbox servers, used for anything.
I don't know about this but think of a third party developer. Imagine finding out that the hardware of both machines is extremely similar so you can actually get your heads down and code to the metal - doing effectively what a first party studio does.

The less fixed function hardware to work for, the better results and optimization.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

Only for now. I'm sure, as always, once there is a lack of info and the rumination begins people will be dragging us down to 8TF (or even 8TF GCN) range yet again.

Next gen is gonna be lit, and all these pessimists are going to be very and pleasantly surprised.

Gemüsepizza

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't my intention to start a debate about verification and stuff, just thinking out loud. I realise that this discussion is probably not really constructive and will lead nowhere, so I will just remove the post.

why do you need verification on a speculation thread? You just apply whatever filter you deem fit to their comments. Personally he has history and I'm familiar with his posts for years so what he says has some weight to me personally.

Yeah, probably not a bad idea.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any reason to believe that Klee wasn't telling the truth about what he had heard from a developer friend back in June E3 time frame as he stated, but all that we really got was some possible insight into the journey of things along the way and the not the ultimate destination/outcome. A logical view of things though is that neither will have a significant raw power advantage over the other if releasing in 2020 at the same price point, but that doesn't tell the final story on real world performance in games either.
That's not what I meant. I appreciate any amount of info anyone can manage to get us here. They're helpful setting some parameters for speculation.

But considering that devkits have been supposedly out in the wild for months now, it's genuinely shocking there has been no articles on leaked specs verified by any journalist.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But considering that devkits have been supposedly out in the wild for months now, it's genuinely shocking there has been no articles on leaked specs verified by any journalist.

That just shows that ps5 is indeed more powerful. Otherwise we would have controlled leaks shouting from the rooftops about scarlet...

Status
Not open for further replies.