• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
the whole obsession regarding which console is more powerful when we are likely talking <=10% performance delta (if klee is right) is so dumb. all thats important is that both are capabale machines without one holding back the other by much.

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, we just know its above 9.2 and its NOT 10.2. It could be under 10.2, no less than 9.2 or above 10.2.
I don't think there would be much point of speaking on it being above 9.2 if it is, say, 9.5. This is just my interpretation but I took it to mean it is, at minimum, in the upper 9/low 10 range and ~11TF would be the max.

Only for now. I'm sure, as always, once there is a lack of info and the rumination begins people will be dragging us down to 8TF (or even 8TF GCN) range yet again.

Next gen is gonna be lit, and all these pessimists are going to be very and pleasantly surprised.
📠

Just keep adding to the list.

"SSDs will NOT be in the systems"
Nope.
"RT will NOT be in the systems"
Nope.
"Navi will be GCN"
Nope.

It is looking like "10TF+ will NOT happen" will be added eventually.

😎

the whole obsession regarding which console is more powerful when we are likely talking <=10% performance delta (if klee is right) is so dumb. all thats important is that both are capabale machines without one holding back the other by much.
I'm more interested in the minimum baseline too. It will be what every game is developed for from fall next year to the end of the gen. That is more interesting than arguing over less than a flop difference.

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
So since both are Said to be over 9.2 tf, i can't help but think they will be over 10 TF purely from a marketing standpoint.
Like, if you got your console to 9.3 TF, surely you will try to get it to at least 10 TF. How much more could it cost to get that ~0.5? And wouldnt it be worth it?

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
So if ps5 is like xone s and scarlet is x one then ps5 is 1.07x faster and we know that both console are above 9.2tf so 10tf for scsrlett and 10.7 ps5 :d

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I just learned my wife's friend's hubby works at Rocksteady.

Gonna try and find out if they have next-gen devkits, and also what their next game is.

Edit:

Don't hold your breath though folks. We're only on first name terms, so I doubt he'd tell me anything.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
This is what happens when people spend 5 threads trying to make up differences between the two without any evidence that there would be a difference.

There was no rational reason to speculate on anything other than a basic setup as a baseline for next-gen specs. Certainly in the absence of a credible, verified leak. Instead we spent nearly two years fighting over imagined specs and imagined differences. It only fueled the console warring, and we still barely have anything over the official info that we treated with hostility and ridiculed when suggested by anyone before this past E3.

Mar 11, 2019
"What if" they are pretty much identical because one of them is holding back (true potential) final specs to not show their full hand. But at the same time deliver sufficient power for the devkits to the developers (that is at least the same power of the competitor to allow at least parity between the games).

That is at least a route I would consider, since its still over one year before release the competitor would also get their hands on dev kits and will have the time to close and even surpass the gap. Probably a similar scenario as with the 4GB / 8GB PS4 ram (although in this case not on purpose) that could have caught MS by surprise.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
This is what happens when people spend 5 threads trying to make up differences between the two without any evidence that there would be a difference.

There was no rational reason to speculate on anything other than a basic setup as a baseline for next-gen specs. Certainly in the absence of a credible, verified leak. Instead we spent nearly two years fighting over imagined specs and imagined differences. It only fueled the console warring, and we still barely have anything over the official info that we treated with hostility and ridiculed when suggested by anyone before this past E3.
Honestly a lot of this is pent up aggression over the years and marketing gone mental.

It started off this generation with the 1080p VS 900p VS 720p fiasco.

It reignited when PS4 Pro and Xbox One X both launched with adverts claiming world's most powerful console, etc.

And the final and most recent present was setup by the Scarlett announcement where Phil pledged a commitment to performance leadership and setting a benchmark for consoles.

When all things become equal there's one major differentiator: GAMES

Oct 25, 2017

Gonna try and find out if they have next-gen devkits, and also what their next game is.

Edit:

Don't hold your breath though folks. We're only on first name terms, so I doubt he'd tell me anything.
Definitely gotta ease your way into it.

Double date!

So if ps5 is like xone s and scarlet is x one then ps5 is 1.07x faster and we know that both console are above 9.2tf so 10tf for scsrlett and 10.7 ps5 :d
Something like that, yeah.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018

Edit:

well i am sure he wont answer you the second question (as much as i would love to know the answer to that...)
and i guess that they are NDA'd about the dev kits, but maybe he would just say if they have any, but at this point, i have to believe they have something.
"What if" they are pretty much identical because one of them is holding back (true potential) final specs to not show their full hand. But at the same time deliver sufficient power for the devkits to the developers (that is at least the same power of the competitor to allow at least parity between the games).

That is at least a route I would consider, since its still over one year before release the competitor would also get their hands on dev kits and will have the time to close and even surpass the gap. Probably a similar scenario as with the 4GB / 8GB PS4 ram (although in this case not on purpose) that could have caught MS by surprise.
do you realize how expensive it would be to create a whole new different specced devkit just to trick the other side? no way that is happening.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Honestly I'm not sure where Klee got his PS5 delay due to BC issues from.
that part doesnt add up to me either. i get that they are using low level APIs and all that, but the move to x86 should have still made it possible in time for 2019.
unless if the BC issues we are talking about is PS3 BC :p

Oct 25, 2017
that part doesnt add up to me either. i get that they are using low level APIs and all that, but the move to x86 should have still made it possible in time for 2019.
unless if the BC issues we are talking about is PS3 BC :p
Bingo!

But yeah, I could actually see it taking some time on Sony's end. They really need to nail it day 1. If they really are planning for something like PS1-PS3 BC, and for BC to improve games, it will take time.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Bingo!

But yeah, I could actually see it taking some time on Sony's end. They really need to nail it day 1. If they really are planning for something like PS1-PS3 BC, and for BC to improve games, it will take time.

PS5 having access to PS1 to PS4 games would be nice selling point early on .
For me don't care about games so old but would make certain people happy.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Bingo!

considering sony are apparnetly going heavy on the "hardcore" marketing, at least for the beginning of the generation, it makes sense to have this BC "megaton" announcement

Oct 25, 2017
I always think BC is at its best at the very beginning of a gen. I'd get some mileage from it (I need to play more Ratchet and Clank games!) but I would definitely be more interested in the new next gen games.

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Honestly I'm not sure where Klee got his PS5 delay due to BC issues from.

It is the BC software issues that confuses me. PS4 BC will be hardware based and the Wired article goes even further here and states the PS5 APU is partly based on the PS4 architecture. Even if there would need to be some sort of software layer added it surely wouldn't result in a substantial delay?

Mar 11, 2019
do you realize how expensive it would be to create a whole new different specced devkit just to trick the other side? no way that is happening.
The current devkit is not even finalised and will most likely have multiple revisions before release, so not sure why they would not, that is, if it is important to them to keep it a secret from the competitor.

I am not talking about completely changing the specs, this would be too drastic and foolish since that would probably also cause compatibility issues. I am talking for example about deliberately significantly(5-10% TF) holding back on GPU and CPU frequencies / memory amount that would not hamper the development of the games until devkits are more finalised closer to release (6 months before release?) and official reveals are made.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
The current devkit is not even finalised and will most likely have multiple revisions before release, so not sure why they would not, that is, if it is important to them to keep it a secret from the competitor.

I am not talking about completely changing the specs, this would be too drastic and foolish since that would probably also cause compatibility issues. I am talking for example about deliberately significantly(5-10% TF) holding back on GPU and CPU frequencies / memory amount that would not hamper the development of the games until devkits are more finalised closer to release (6 months before release?) and official reveals are made.
5~10% different will just keep them close together and wouldnt serve as any actual help.
I don't think it was BC issues that delayed the PS5 (though I suppose it could have been a factor I'm unaware of).
welcome back and thanks for the response :)

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
PS1-PS3 (may also vita and PSP) BC would be a megaton.

"PS5 - play any playstation game" would be pretty amazing.
i still highly doubt we will see vita BC (more than PS3 BC) because there is no working emulator for it, plus lack of return (too small of a fanbase for Vita).
but if they can do PS1-PS4 BC they can market it as "relieve all generations of play" or something like that.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Edit:

Start with a gentle question, like why they only released one game this gen.

This thread is certainly a roller coaster.
A roller coaster is just a hype train with hills.

Oct 25, 2017
considering sony are apparnetly going heavy on the "hardcore" marketing, at least for the beginning of the generation, it makes sense to have this BC "megaton" announcement
PS1-PS3 (may also vita and PSP) BC would be a megaton.

"PS5 - play any playstation game" would be pretty amazing.
Absolutely.

Even if it doesn't make it day 1, I do see them getting it to happen sooner or later. A PS Meeting/E3 announcement of PS5 having all gens day 1 (with enhancements) would be huge.

Mar 11, 2019
5~10% different will just keep them close together and wouldnt serve as any actual help.

The 5-10% difference wont give a noticeable difference between third party games, but a 12TF vs 11TF will add an important tag line to a console ("most powerful console") which especially MS would like to keep using, and for which some costumers are susceptible for.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
I countered another poster's arguments as overly pessimistic and said I'd be willing to do an account ban if neither console reached 10TF. That poster never accepted (one other poster mockingly said I could just request a ban now without the showmanship). Once the mods announced they didn't endorse ban bets, I asked what my avatar should be in the event neither hits 10TF.

Very well.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
if both consoles performance are super close, i wonder if they are actually going for the same design (same amount of compute units and close clock speeds) with the difference just being a slightly better cooling on one side for a slightly faster console, or if they are actually different designs (one priotising more compute units and lower clocks while the other is going for a smaller chip with higher clocks) and one design beats the other in performance slightly, in fact, in such a case, the wider design might lead slightly in TF but lose in real world performance due to further efficiency from the clocks.

Kind of goes back to what Ed Boon was saying on Twitter. They don't know final clocks so no telling which is more powerful. It makes more sense now that we have the context that both systems are very close. Clocks may decide.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
The 5-10% difference wont give a noticeable difference between third party games, but a 12TF vs 11TF will add an important tag line to a console ("most powerful console") which especially MS would like to keep using, and for which some costumers are susceptible for.
The thing about a 5 or 10% difference is that, unless there were drastic silicone decisions made that meant they're at the very edge of what each company managed to get out of them (which I find highly unlikely), it's a difference that can be closed with a pre-release overclock.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019

Bingo.

I'm fairly confident there will be an indiscernible difference between 3rd party games running on PS5 and Scarlett. At that point which is most powerful is entirely academic and moot outside of those who are susceptible to PR manipulation.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Honestly a lot of this is pent up aggression over the years and marketing gone mental.

It started off this generation with the 1080p VS 900p VS 720p fiasco.

It reignited when PS4 Pro and Xbox One X both launched with adverts claiming world's most powerful console, etc.

And the final and most recent present was setup by the Scarlett announcement where Phil pledged a commitment to performance leadership and setting a benchmark for consoles.

When all things become equal there's one major differentiator: GAMES

And services

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
An economic crisis in 2020 would delay ps5 and xbox2?
The Wii sold 3.8M in December 2009, and sold 9.6M that year.

DS sold 3.3M that same December, and even peaked at 11.2M in 2009.

Xbox 360 and PS3 increased from 2008 as well, both selling over 4M.

Video games will do okay in a economic downturn.

Status
Not open for further replies.