• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
This thread is certainly a roller coaster.

Strap in and enjoy the ride, Matt.

An economic crisis in 2020 would delay ps5 and xbox2?

Are we expecting another global recession in 2020? I feel like this has been being predicted since 2011. What's gonna cause it?

US Cowboy fracking finance collapse? Brexit? Greece/Italy or some other EU territory going tits up? Trade wars?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
What's with the articles saying the PS5 GPU is above RTX 2070 SUPER and close to RTX 2080? They are basing all of this on the rumored 2 Ghz clock speed?

brokenswiftie

Prophet of Truth
Banned
May 30, 2018
What's with the articles saying the PS5 GPU is above RTX 2070 SUPER and close to RTX 2080? They are basing all of this on the rumored 2 Ghz clock speed?
probably because of this
FH4.png

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Thuway probably creating some nice headaches for the marketing people within Sony and MS with that tweet, lmao. Bet ya quite a few people went "oh, for fuck's sake, man".

Are we expecting another global recession in 2020? I feel like this has been being predicted since 2011. What's gonna cause it?

US Cowboy fracking finance collapse? Brexit? Greece/Italy or some other EU territory going tits up? Trade wars?

Yes, been talked about since 2017. Showing super strong signs right now in the US and Central Europe, like Germany and France, isn't being helped at all by the trade wars and Brexit might very well be the thing that takes everything down the shitter. This time it doesn't seem to be a single thing, what might very well be way worse that the last one.

Jan 21, 2019
I am very very curious about potential mid gen refreshes. I know it's too early for that, but since nodes aren't shrinking as hard as before and since shrinking actually makes stuff more expensive, what approach do you expect? I would think they would go for higher end price and a larger die. Maybe a 600€ ps5 pro, Xbox two X(funny name) with a bigger box, larger cooler and a bigger die mit more CUs.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Thuway probably creating some nice headaches for the marketing people within Sony and MS with that tweet, lmao. Bet ya quite a few people went "oh, for fuck's sake, man".

Yes, been talked about since 2017. Showing super strong signs right now in the US and Central Europe, like Germany and France, isn't being helped at all by the trade wars and Brexit might very well be the thing that takes everything down the shitter. This time it doesn't seem to be a single thing, what might very well be way worse that the last one.
LMAO so true. If they could get their hands on him.

On a more serious note though, if the GPU is even a 36CU unit but clocked as high as 2Ghz it will beat a 2070. If it's more than 36CU then that's a different matter. The only real question now is if its actually a 2Ghz GPU. And with the amount of 2Ghz plus 570XTs popping up now its beginning to seem like that's doable. especially on a more mature7nm node or maybe even a better variant of the 7nm process being used now.
I am very very curious about potential mid gen refreshes. I know it's too early for that, but since nodes aren't shrinking as hard as before and since shrinking actually makes stuff more expensive, what approach do you expect? I would think they would go for higher end price and a larger die. Maybe a 600€ ps5 pro, Xbox two X(funny name) with a bigger box, larger cooler and a bigger die mit more CUs.
Don't overthink it. He is a good way to look at mid gen refreshes.

1. Its facilitated by a new node. No new node no mid gen refresh. So, in this case, we are talking 3/4nm process. (which would be the equivalent of going from 28nm to 16/14nm)
  2. Just lookt whatever the consoles are in 2020, then when said new nodes become a thing, say 2023/24 and then ask yourself if a console were to be made in 2020/2024 using tech available then, what would it be?
  3. You would be looking at something that's at least twice as powerful a whatever we have in 2020 for about the am the amount of money. Cause they would spend more on certain areas than others. Eg, they wouldn't have to put in twice tha RAM, they could leave it the same and instead up to the bandwidth or increase it by like 25%. They also wouldn't have to change the CPU, just up the clocks a bit. So basically the only thing they really would be changing is the GPU.
Funny, when you look at mid gen refreshes like that it doesn' seem so special anymore does it lol.

Last edited:

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Crytek: SSD Will Be the Real Game Changer for PS5/Next Xbox, Opening Up Lots of Design Possibilities

"If visual quality will most likely continue to increase in the same large steps as is expected with any new generation of consoles, the real game changer will certainly be the new fast storage that has been promised. Apart from the obvious advantage of crushing loading times, it will open up quite a lot of possibilities for games to be designed for it with regards to streaming. That's also a front on which game engines will need to evolve quite drastically, but it's definitely exciting."

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
What insider info did you have and how does bc issues collide with that?

I've already posted it but it was the initial design goals, which included full BC. I imagine they figured it out a long time ago with the Pro so It's really weird to hear that a hardware launch was delayed an entire year (what would a year achieve?) due to that. Usually a hardware launch delay would be down to games not being ready or the hardware silicon itself not being ready.

I was under the assumption that a PS5 delay had something to do with the Navi delay.

Oct 25, 2017
Crytek: SSD Will Be the Real Game Changer for PS5/Next Xbox, Opening Up Lots of Design Possibilities

"If visual quality will most likely continue to increase in the same large steps as is expected with any new generation of consoles, the real game changer will certainly be the new fast storage that has been promised. Apart from the obvious advantage of crushing loading times, it will open up quite a lot of possibilities for games to be designed for it with regards to streaming. That's also a front on which game engines will need to evolve quite drastically, but it's definitely exciting."
SSD hype.

The loading stuff is the cherry on top really. The most exciting stuff is definitely the potential in game design. The way worlds are built and laid out should change quite a bit.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

yep that is why i said i looking forward to the GDC talks about engine changes thanks to the SSD.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
My next-gen hype train has reignited. Only think that could take it even higher is if Klee says the game he saw was targeting 60fps

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
What are peoples thoughts with the PS5/Scarlet and how external Storage will work for these? Packing in a SSD, I doubt we will get anything with more than 1tb of SSD storage, so the need for external storage will be a must for most people. Right now I have about 9tb of Storage used up for Xbox One X and about 5tb on my PRO. How will the benefits of increased load times etc. work if you need to use an external drive?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Beyond VRS, I wonder if the consoles will be packing something to support Texture/Texel Space Shading. PSVR, in special, would benefit quite a bit from that, as it can ease considerably the load of rendering to two slightly different viewpoints (and also do some neat stuff with shading at different spatial and temporal rates to save processing). Have read some neat stuff that indicates it can give RT some speedup, as well.

What are peoples thoughts with the PS5/Scarlet and how external Storage will work for these? Packing in a SSD, I doubt we will get anything with more than 1tb of SSD storage, so the need for external storage will be a must for most people. Right now I have about 9tb of Storage used up for Xbox One X and about 5tb on my PRO. How will the benefits of increased load times etc. work if you need to use an external drive?

Worst case scenario: you have to move stuff to/from the internal storage manually. Best case scenario: initial load when you start playing the game as it fills RAM with data from external storage. Once you start the game, system moves data from the external storage to internal in the background, RAM gets fed from the internal SSD as expected.

Last edited:

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Heathen, Klee already confirmed it had ray tracing.

My next-gen hype train has reignited. Only think that could take it even higher is if Klee says the game he saw was targeting 60fps

I was thinking whether the game could be RAD's third-person action game that sounds like it goes quite deep on combat/strategy going by job postings but then apparently it got rebooted quite recently so would there be anything to see yet?

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
That's the thing, I had "insider" info of PS5 back in late 2014, hence why this makes no sense to me.

Not saying it can't be true, but I'm more interested to know what the issue was specifically.

Best case scenario is that just getting the games running is long done, but they want want to make some amazing enhanced BC that took some more work.

This thread is certainly a roller coaster.

Sometimes it feels like one of those 10-year gimmick ones that crazy people make on Rollercoaster Tycoon.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Beyond VRS, I wonder if the consoles will be packing something to support Texture/Texel Space Shading. PSVR, in special, would benefit quite a bit from that, as it can ease considerably the load of rendering to two slightly different viewpoints (and also do some neat stuff with shading at different spatial and temporal rates to save processing). Have read some neat stuff that indicates it can give RT some speedup, as well.

Worst case scenario: you have to move stuff to/from the internal storage manually. Best case scenario: initial load when you start playing the game as it fills RAM with data from external storage. Once you start the game, system moves data from the external storage to internal in the background, RAM gets fed from the internal SSD as expected.

That would be interesting, but then that would require a certain amount of the internal SSD to be sectioned off to have room for moving date from an external storage device to the internal.

I also wonder, if benefits of using an external SSD would be fully realized with these consoles. While my Pro and "X" each have 500gb/1tb SSD and standard HDD's as external, you don't get a huge benefit when using a SSD on current gen consoles. I really hope if you have an external SSD that the new system will take advantage of them.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
That would be interesting, but then that would require a certain amount of the internal SSD to be sectioned off to have room for moving date from an external storage device to the internal.

Or it will just shunt whatever's oldest / least recently played to the external storage.

I also wonder, if benefits of using an external SSD would be fully realized with these consoles. While my Pro and "X" each have 500gb/1tb SSD and standard HDD's as external, you don't get a huge benefit when using a SSD on current gen consoles. I really hope if you have an external SSD that the new system will take advantage of them.

Will probably saturate whatever interface they end up using - USB 3.2, likely - but still function as as a really fast external storage thing - i.e. will have to move data to the internal storage.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
Honestly, having seen how well the 5700XT performs at 1440p, I really wish there is a 4K.CB mode@60fps (performance mode) and a native 4K @ unlocked fps [30fps+] (Cinematic mode) as standard in all games next-gen. I will take 4k.CB@60ps over native 4K at 30fpsevery single time.
Just think of an external HDD now as a really big disc. Cause it will function much like the disc drive in current-gen consoles work, nothing more than a container to get the game from your tore into your internal HDD. Anything on the external HDD will have to be moved into the internal SSD to play it. This, however, will just be significantly faster than having to reinstall a game again from the disc (though if you were using the disc version you will still have to have your disc in the console).

It would be great if the consoles just came with a user-upgradeable SSD, but there is almost zero chance of that happening.

Benefits??? No matter what kinda external SSD/HDD you plug into these systems, it will be slower than the internal drive. So there are absolutely no benefits. The only benefit is that it would be better to move a game onto the external drive when trying to make space in your system than to delete the game and have to reinstall it from a disc if you want to play it again. In that case, an external drive wil be at least 4-5 times faster than the internal disc drive.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

I can tell you right now most people won't need more than 1TB .
They most likely let you use external HDD and the OS will swap stuff when need be.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I can tell you right now most people won't need more than 1TD .
They most likely let you use external HDD and the OS will swap stuff when need be.

What makes you say that most wont need more than 1tb? With game sizes growing more and more on current gen and with next gen consoles pushing 4k even more with 4k textures, I see games exploding in size due to more assets and 4k textures. I think with next gen 1tb is going to be considered "small" due to how big games will be. We have many games in the current gen over 50gb alone and some breaking the 100gb size. With reserves that most storage has and whatever amount of space needed for the OS and other functions, a 1TB internal SSD may only give users about 700gb or so of usable space. Over time, even within the first year based on your individual buying habits, how can 1tb be enough for most?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
What makes you say that most wont need more than 1tb? With game sizes growing more and more on current gen and with next gen consoles pushing 4k even more with 4k textures, I see games exploding in size due to more assets and 4k textures. I think with next gen 1tb is going to be considered "small" due to how big games will be. We have many games in the current gen over 50gb alone and some breaking the 100gb size. With reserves that most storage has and whatever amount of space needed for the OS and other functions, a 1TB internal SSD may only give users about 700gb or so of usable space. Over time, even within the first year based on your individual buying habits, how can 1tb be enough for most?

Because most people don't buy that many games per year .
Right now PS4 averages 9.6 games per users and that is over the life time of the system so far .
That means average person buys 2 to 4 games per year .
Another thing is people don't keep games there not playing on there system for years like some hardcore people .
Hell i buy many games per year and i have not run out of space since i don't keep everything on my system .

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

This is an area where first party games may blow multiplats out of the water for a few years while their engines catch up.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Right now PS4 averages 9.6 games per users and that is over the life time of the system so far .
Another thing is people don't keep games there not playing on there system for years like some hardcore people .
Hell i buy many games per year and i have not run out of space since i don't keep everything on my system .

I tend to keep most games installed on my externals because if I want to play something, I don't have to redownload. But I hear what you are saying. I know there are some people that once they beat or had enough of a game they remove it and don't look back.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
It's true. For you it may be normal or even required or you to kee the games you have finished on your system, but most people don't. Like I don't even let my system get more than 60% full. Once it hits 60% I just look through my library and delete anything I haven't played actively in the last year. And if we are to assume next-gen games will average 90GB/game, then with a 1TB HDD we would be able to have 10 games on the system at any given time.

I strongly doubt anyone is playing 10/12 games simultaneously.

It probably has to do with how I play games though, I have a few games like GT and Tekken that are always on my system, but with everything else I start a game and don't play any other game until I thoroughly finish it (or platinum if its not ridiculous) an then after that i am done with it.
Indeed.I wonder if SSD will become mandatory for PC ports of AAA games soon after next gen launch?
They will.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia

And really that number is going to be skewed by we hardcore types buying 100 games a gen. In reality, I think the majority of PS5 owners won't fill their SSD for years, or ever if they tend to delete games they don't play anymore.

It's true. For you it may be normal or even required or you to kee the games you have finished on your system, but most people don't. Like I don't even let my system get more than 60% full. Once it hits 60% I just look through my library and delete anything I haven't played actively in the last year. And if we are to assume next-gen games will average 90GB/game, then with a 1TB HDD we would be able to have 10 games on the system at any given time.

I strongly doubt anyone is playing 10/12 games simultaneously.

It probably has to do with how I play games though, I have a few games like GT and Tekken that are always on my system, but with everything else I start a game and don't play any other game until I thoroughly finish it (or platinum if its not ridiculous) an then after that i am done with it.

They will.

Keep in mind that a 1TB drive is really a 960GB drive that will also need to hold a substantial OS, and will work better if it has some free space. I think 7 games at a time is more realistic, though many games may be surprisingly small - the indies and the Sekiros, etc.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
And really that number is going to be skewed by we hardcore types buying 100 games a gen. In reality, I think the majority of PS5 owners won't fill their SSD for years, or ever if they tend to delete games they don't play anymore.

It probably looks like a Pareto-ish distribution, with 20m users owning 800m games (mean of 40 games) and 80m users owning 200m games (2,5 games per user).

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
It probably looks like a Pareto-ish distribution, with 20m users owning 800m games (mean of 40 games) and 80m users owning 200m games (2,5 games per user).

Probably. And a lot of the multiple games they buy will probably be the new CoD or FIFA, at which point they probably delete last year's version. Really, I can see most of them never even needing the external storage system at all.

Nov 30, 2017
I never did catch write speeds for the solutions were talking about. Installs should be less of a pain with them. Still have to download them but internet speeds are getting better for the majority.

I also dont know what the limitation of reading from disc are if physical.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I never did catch write speeds for the solutions were talking about. Installs should be less of a pain with them. Still have to download them but internet speeds are getting better for the majority.

I also dont know what the limitation of reading from disc are if physical.
The disc just serves as an (typically) temp
Storage to DL to you SSD and then as a license later.

Status
Not open for further replies.