• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Only ray traced reflections? That's a bit disappointing. I want my ray traced global illumination, if not at least ray traced ambient occlusion!

I don't think Klee is giving us a full technical breakdown of the game he saw, so no need to worry I think.

The important takeaway is an impressive RT implementation in an open world game that is definitively above what is achievable on current gen is what he saw, and this is on a title early in development. We should all be dancing in the streets over this news 🕺

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for some hints Klee. Nice to see some of the old GAF posters still hanging around.

Silencerx98

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Klee is giving us a full technical breakdown of the game he saw, so no need to worry I think.

The important takeaway is an impressive RT implementation in an open world game that is definitively above what is achievable on current gen is what he saw, and this is on a title early in development. We should all be dancing in the streets over this news 🕺
You know what, you're not wrong, ray traced reflections in an open world game with supposedly massive draw distances and highly detailed objects is already an outstanding achievement. We should wait to see more

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Wanted to answer some general questions about what I saw.

Game was not shown behind closed doors at e3

Really early

Running on PS5

I didn't see Scarlett so I can't directly compare

Framerate wasn't always smooth....seemed to be in the 20-30fps range

Open world and the scope was unbelievable. Never seen anything like it...far beyond Witcher/BOTW/HZD

Even so, close up details were beyond anything I have seen before

Ray Traced reflections....looks really impressive

Dynamic destructable environments...this game is just WTF

When I asked him about the SSD, he got visably nervous. Didn't want to talk about it at all.

As good as it looks, I get the feeling this isn't a launch game, really early.

That's all I can think of for now.. I should be able to get more information when I go back in October. I will see if I can share anything else at that time.

Hm so targeting 30 fps you think?

That would be very disappointing if so.

I used to think 30vs60 wasn't an issue for single player games, but after seeing how much more fluid and smoother God of War is even at an unstable and broken 60 fps on PS4 Pro I really hope devs will change their philosophy.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Thanks to all that participated in my "Power Difference Poll" while I was playing HZD and made my visit at FARO HQ ;)

Btw I have nice memories about Faro, Portugal where I made a 1 week golf vacation a couple of years ago

--------------------------

I checked the prices for 1 TB SSD NVME PCI-E 4 and it's like 300 bucks, PS5 and Scarlett are going to use this new SSD according to rumours right?

Isn't it too expensive for a 400-500 bucks console? O.o

Colbert
I think we definitely look at $499. It could be even higher in the US due to tariffs if they materialize. I actually are okay with it as money is not my issue, my biggest issue regarding gaming is TIME. I also think MS and Sony definitely will use custom SSDs we are not seeing on the market which could lead into some better cost.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain

I used to think 30vs60 wasn't an issue for single player games, but after seeing how much more fluid and smoother God of War is even at an unstable and broken 60 fps on PS4 Pro I really hope devs will change their philosophy.

You will see tons of 30 fps games. 60 fps games mean mostly current-gen games with better resolution. The most difficult will be to find a PC conf to be able to run at 60 fps... I hope game engine will soon be better multithreaded...

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No. It's far from disappointing. 60 fps takes double the resources from the gpu and cpu. I'd rather they go into actual features like ray tracing, better physics and destruction and of course more detail and npcs on screen.

Every game is 60 fps on pc anyway.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017

This sounds like a game meant to break visual barriers. I can't see them going to 60 if it's currently struggling at 20-30.
I'm with you though, I'll happily give up visuals for more fluid experience.

OP
OP
Mecha Meister

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Really early

Running on PS5

Open world and the scope was unbelievable. Never seen anything like it...far beyond Witcher/BOTW/HZD

When I asked him about the SSD, he got visably nervous. Didn't want to talk about it at all.

That's all I can think of for now.. I should be able to get more information when I go back in October. I will see if I can share anything else at that time.
World detail of The Order 1886+miles long draw distance+fully dynamic world destruction + Ray Traced reflections.

It didn't look very polished like those nVidia/Unreal/Unity demos but at the same time beyond and I could imagine running on an Xbox One X or Pro

So yeah, not like a current game, but not like a GDC demo either. You would have to see it yourself to understand because I can't quite articulate it properly because I can't compare it to anything else.

Should I thread mark these? This sounds fascinating!

Oct 26, 2017
You will see tons of 30 fps games. 60 fps games mean mostly current-gen games with better resolution. The most difficult will be to find a PC conf to be able to run at 60 fps... I hope game engine will soon be better multithreaded...

You mean 4K/60fps?

I do think 1440p/60fps will become the baseline on PC starting in 2020 and 4K will slowly catch up

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
No. It's far from disappointing. 60 fps takes double the resources from the gpu and cpu. I'd rather they go into actual features like ray tracing, better physics and destruction and of course more detail and npcs on screen.

If a 30 fps game push the CPU, it will be difficult to have a 60 fps PC version. They need to step up in term of game multithreading...

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

Really early

Running on PS5

gAX91Jz.gif

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
You mean 4K/60fps?

I do think 1440p/60fps will become the baseline on PC starting in 2020 and 4K will slowly catch up

No I mean 60 fps, people will be surprised but the Jaguar CPU was so weak he can't even push a modern quad-core to its knee. We have a CPU if the power is equal to 1700X or a bit more knowing it is inside a console only 25% less powerful than a 3700X or 30% less powerful at least in benchmark than a i9-9900k. If the CPU utilization is high at 30 fps, find the CPU to make it run at 60 fps will be difficult if multithreading is not better... In theory a 12 cores or better a 16 core CPU can do it but I don't think the software is ready for this...

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

Keep in mind this is a game early in development running on non final hardware. It could be 60 fps in the end for all we know.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I have a feeling that Sony's NAND solution will be something special.

If the CPU utilization is high at 30 fps, find the CPU to make it run at 60 fps will be difficult if multithreading is not better... In theory a 12 cores or better a 16 core CPU can do it but I don't think the software is ready for this...

Yup, any next-gen console game that pushes the CPU really hard at 30 FPS will, likely, be a beast to try and push to 60FPS on PC without compromising somewhere. Let alone trying to get to the crazy framerates people have been using nowadays, 120, 144, etc.

Best reaction GIF, lmao, never fails to make me lose it.

Oct 26, 2017
No I mean 60 fps, people will be surprised but the Jaguar CPU was so weak he can't even push a modern quad-core to its knee. We have a CPU if the power is equal to 1700X or a bit more knowing it is inside a console only 25% less powerful than a 3700X or 30% less powerful at least in benchmark than a i9-9900k. If the CPU utilization is high at 30 fps, find the CPU to make it run at 60 fps will be difficult if multithreading is not better... In theory a 12 cores or better a 16 core CPU can do it but I don't think the software is ready for this...

By 2020 AMD will surely release new CPUs, i highly doubt next-gen games on PC at 60fps is not going to be possible at all on the newest AMD Ryzen CPUs.
And i don't think out of gate next-gen games will fully utilize the CPU, we will probably get 1-2 years of cross-gen and only 1st party devs and some devs like DICE, will push the consoles to their limit at the beginning.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling that Sony's NAND solution will be something special.

Yup, any next-gen console game that pushes the CPU really hard at 30 FPS will, likely, be a beast to try and push to 60FPS on PC without compromising somewhere. Let alone trying to get to the crazy framerates people have been using nowadays, 120, 144, etc.

Best reaction GIF, lmao, never fails to make me lose it.

That is something that going to be interesting next gen .
How much is it going to take PC gamers to run the software at crazy setting the have had this gen .

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
By 2020 AMD will surely release new CPUs, i highly doubt next-gen games on PC at 60fps is not going to be possible at all on the newest AMD Ryzen CPUs.
And i don't think out of gate next-gen games will fully utilize the CPU, we will probably get 1-2 years of cross-gen and only 1st party devs and some devs like DICE, will push the consoles to their limit at the beginning.

I don't think the problem is hardware a 3900x is perfectly able to run anything above 60 or probably more. The problem is software from my point of view...

Oct 25, 2017
If a 30 fps game push the CPU, it will be difficult to have a 60 fps PC version. They need to step up in term of game multithreading...
It'd be nice to have game engines designed to take advantage of as many cores/threads as available. Such a shame some of the higher core count CPUs on the market are not able to utilize all the power they have available to them while playing games 99% of the time.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

Early in development. Probably not even close to final anything.

However make no mistake, as is always the case we will have the majority of the games running at 30fps. Its the bane of console gaming and a world here visuals sell games. You can't see 60fps, but you sure as hell can see them pretty graphics.

there is no marketing premium, or review score value, in supporting the highest-possible refresh rate common to all HDTVs. We want to give you guys, our fans and players, the best looking games you can buy on a console.
- The book of Insomniac, Chapter 2009

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think the problem is hardware a 3900x is perfectly able to run anything above 60 or probably more. The problem is software from my point of view...

You mean optimization?
Epic Games and Unity will eventually update their engines or make entirely new versions, for internal engines is a bit tricky, something like Frostbite will always perform extremely good on PC, Ubisoft Anvil Engine on PCs is really demanding, but at the same time Snowdrop is not.

I think developers will be aware of that because if running games at 60fps on PCs is going to be demanding due to bad optimization, then oof, that's going to be really bad.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

However make no mistake, as is always the case we will have the majority of the games running at 30fps. Its the bane of console gaming and a world here visuals sell games. You can't see 60fps, but you sure as hell can see them pretty graphics.

I think it will be 50\50 for AAA .
More and more games are running at 60fps .
The smaller games i expect most to be 60fps .

Oct 26, 2017
I think it will be 50\50 for AAA .
More and more games are running at 60fps .
The smaller games i expect most to be 60fps .

I don't know about that.

I'm pretty sure devs making open world games will try to push NPCs, physics and everything possible for 30fps.
Fully native 4K and 30fps is going to be the "norm" going forward.

The new Battlefield can potentially offer 128 players at 60fps on the Frostbite, that's going to be really cool and impressive.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
All console gamer community in current gen mp 60 fps will probably be able to play some version at 120 fps on the next-generation console maybe 1440p temporal reconstruction 120 fps and 4k 60 fps... Great...

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All game engines will be updated to support multi threading to take advantage of the 16 threads in the zen 2 cpus. A 12 core 24 thread at 4-5 ghz or 16 core 32 thread at 3.2 ghz should be able to easily run next gen games at 60 fps.

Of course when paired up with a decent gpu with enough vram. I remember when everyone told me that a gtx 570 is more powerful than whatever was in the ps4 but because of the vram being only 1.3 ghz, i was locked into the lowest settings on most next gen games.

If the ps5 is indeed over 10 Navi tflops, it would be interesting to see how the 2080 runs next gen games.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Exactly. And it's not just pretty graphics. Devs will not let other devs have full destruction and hundreds of npcs because a small vocal minority on the internet wanted 60 fps.

I do believe online multiplayer shooters will continue to be 60 fps. That's one genre where everyone wants responsiveness over beauty.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017

30fps will remain default framerate for vast majority of games.

Vast majority of gamers does not care about framerate [as long as it is stable, or very close to stable], and developing for 60fps is hard. Plus, devs like to prioritize visuals and have breathing space when rendering a frame, and 30-33ms is much easier than 16ms [which actually have to be ~14ms to account for worst case scenarios].

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018

Fluidity of experience is an "actual feature".

And I don't care about PC - I want 60 fps on the console.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. And it's not just pretty graphics. Devs will not let other devs have full destruction and hundreds of npcs because a small vocal minority on the internet wanted 60 fps.

I do believe online multiplayer shooters will continue to be 60 fps. That's one genre where everyone wants responsiveness over beauty.

Yep it's not only about gfx .
Just think about playing spidey 2 where parts of the city get destroy in a boss fight.
Stuff like that would eat into the power of the systems making 60fps harder to do .

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone summarize? I Skimmed the last 4 pages, but I am lost.
A brief impression of *a multiplat* PS5 game has rocked Era.

It's still early for even launch games to get promotion. We'll get something hopefully early next year, and a full force promo blast at E3 and summer/fall conferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.