• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
THEORY TIME!

The recent foxygames leak where he stated that Sony will release 6 AAA exclusives on their platform got me thinking:

(Take this theory and his leak with a grain of salt of course)

What if Sony wants to familiarize their fan base with a batch load of sequels to get people acquainted with their IP's more and let the supporters of those IP's rejoice. Once all of the big sequels are released they'll reveal their new IP's to show the creativity that these new machines will allow. Let me elucidate:

foxygames stated that these 6 AAA titles will be released within the first year of the consoles lifespan (presumably Q4 2020-Q4 2021).

These 6 titles are possibly:

HZD 2 (all but confirmed) Shows off a combination of the creativity that can now be allowed with the CPU and the SSD

GT 7 (all but confirmed) Shows off RT capability's

Spider-Man 2? Shows off SSD streaming tech

God Of War 2? Shows off all of the craziness with physics and AI (many enemies on screen) with the new CPU's

Bloodborne 2??? Shows new gameplay design possibilities with the new SSD

Until Dawn 2??? Shows how story-telling can evolve with new hardware

(This isn't even including potential cross-gen remasters)

The words in bold are to show what I think the main selling point will be for newcomers.

This probably can't work as the public may be turned away by the sequels and will say "the originality is gone".

However I think this could work and would please both audiences.

Everybody would win!

Thoughts?

Feb 26, 2018
THEORY TIME!

The recent foxygames leak where he stated that Sony will release 6 AAA exclusives on their platform got me thinking:

What if Sony wants to familiarize their fan base with a batch load of sequels to get people acquainted with their IP's more and let the supporters of those IP's rejoice. Once all of the big sequels are released they'll reveal their new IP's to show the creativity that these new machines will allow. Let me elucidate:

foxygames stated that these 6 AAA titles will be released within the first year of the consoles lifespan (presumably Q4 2020-Q4 2021).

HZD 2 (all but confirmed) Shows off a combination of the creativity that can now be allowed with the CPU and the SSD

God Of War 2? Shows off all of the craziness with physics and AI (many enemies on screen) with the new CPU's

The words in bold are to show what I think the main selling point will be for newcomers.

This probably can't work as the public may be turned away by the sequels and will say "the originality is gone".

Everybody would win!

Thoughts?
Dude
Its just some random person posting tales from his ass for attention

From this list only games possible for the launch lineup is GT7 and maybe hZD2

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Daily pastelulz.

Ps5- 8c/24t (new cpu tech that triples the number of virtual cores!)@3.1ghz/ 8.9 Navi cumstomized Gpu with 1955ghz clocks baked in

Pasting what I know: ps5= octa core with a custom blue bonnet butter paste specifically for the ps5 from what i'm seeing it is keeping the cpu cooler than any standard pastes on the market, this is just what I know!

Xbox Scarlett: Cpu: 1.7gz +3 raytracing unit to unitfy all the seperate chunks of raw data with a bus@ 33MpH with 343 gpu core cores @ 170Mhz with no limiter

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
THEORY TIME!

Everybody would win!

Thoughts?
Loos unlikely to me that Sony Santa Monica, Polyphony Digital, Guerrilla Games and a heavy hitter from Insomniac all launch at the same time. It would also come less than a year after Naughty Dog launch The Last of Us II, and Sucker Punch launching Ghost of Tsushima, a year after Kojima Productions release Death Stranding.

It would be one sure way to ensure that there is a barren period. My thinking is that they space those games better.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Even though Microsoft said that their next gen platform will support framerates up to 120 fps, do you guys think that these high framerates can become a standard? (in 1080p of course!!!)

More and more games had a performance mode as a option and with a ryzen up to 3.2 ghz and the new rdna architecture why not right?

Not a chance. Some older games played with enhanced BC could get 120fps modes (DMC5 for example is checkerboard 4K 60fps on the X and I assume the next-gen machines could just take that mode and double the framerate), but not new titles unless they're very simple indies.

Feb 26, 2018
That is why it's a theory. It's most likely incorrect but it's still fun to speculate.
Okay than
I can see HZD2 and GT7 happening.
GoW2 is 2022-23 probably
Spider-Man 2 probably the same timeframe
Bloodborne 2 probably aint happening too because From is already busy with Elden Ring and we got insiders confirming no BB2 in the works
And I dont think Sony will fund anymore games like Untill Dawn or Detroit

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
he didn't say it was PS5 but around the time of this tweet lots of PS5 rumors were coming out stating it's faster than Xbox scarlet so i figured he meant PS5

This guy has seen the Gonzolo score so i would take his word for it. We are getting an 8.5-9 tflops gpu

what doesnt make sense is how the ps5 can be stronger than the xbox. what was Phil going for? 7.5 tflops scarlett? I refuse to believe he went up on stage at E3 2018 claiming he will set the benchmark for next gen consoles? would he really do that with just a 8-9 tflops GPU?

or the safest explanation is that reiner is wrong, and so is colin. people are confused because Sony's devkits have a vega 56 running at 1.8ghz to simulate a 1.8 ghz 8tflops RDNA GPU.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Okay than
I can see HZD2 and GT7 happening.
GoW2 is 2022-23 probably
Bloodborne 2 probably aint happening too because From is already busy with Elden Ring and we got insiders confirming no BB2 in the works
While I agree with most of what your saying why wouldn't Sony fund those devs? They were both successes in their own right.

Oct 25, 2017
This guy has seen the Gonzolo score so i would take his word for it. We are getting an 8.5-9 tflops gpu

what doesnt make sense is how the ps5 can be stronger than the xbox. what was Phil going for? 7.5 tflops scarlett? I refuse to believe he went up on stage at E3 2018 claiming he will set the benchmark for next gen consoles? would he really do that with just a 8-9 tflops GPU?

or the safest explanation is that reiner is wrong, and so is colin. people are confused because Sony's devkits have a vega 56 running at 1.8ghz to simulate a 1.8 ghz 8tflops RDNA GPU.
Don't know about Colin, but wouldn't doubt what Reiner heard at the time was true (doesn't mean that's what the final result will be, which even Reiner said)

Perhaps that confidence/statement by Phil in 2018 was based off the earlier rumblings of Sony's previous supposed plan of launching in 2019 which would've been another Pro/X situation where MS could easily release a more powerful system thanks to the 1 year gap. (IIRC even Matt was saying that 2019 was not off the books for Sony back at the end of 2017/early 2018).

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
I'm basing my opinion on the fact that both QD and Supermassive went multiplatform. Maybe i'm wrong
You're correct.
Don't know about Colin, but wouldn't doubt what Reiner heard at the time was true (doesn't mean that's what the final result will be, which even Reiner said)

Perhaps that confidence/statement by Phil in 2018 was based off the earlier rumblings of Sony's previous supposed plan of launching in 2019 which would've been another Pro/X situation where MS could easily release a more powerful system thanks to the 1 year gap. (IIRC even Matt was saying that 2019 was not off the books for Sony back at the end of 2017/early 2018).
I still don't get why Sony would want to have released in 2019. The only way I could see this being a possibility is if Sony thought that MS was releasing in 2019 as well.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get why Sony would want to have released in 2019. The only way I could see this being a possibility is if Sony thought that MS was releasing in 2019 as well.
Think of it this way, which console manufacturer wouldn't want 1 whole year to themselves on the market as the only next-gen console? That's why that launch timing would hold appeal to Sony/even be considered.

Thankfully though, that's not the case, because man, would've sucked for the next-gen baseline to be set to whatever that console would've looked like (probably no SSD and a worse CPU).

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
You're correct.

To have a year's headstart, obviously. If the PS5 had launched a year before Scarlett, it would have the generation won out of the gate, regardless of any power gap (and Sony would've been capable of mitigating that a little with a $600 BOM if they were concerned about it). It would've been another PS2 situation. But it obviously wasn't viable, due to either the tech or the games not being ready.

Think of it this way, which console manufacturer wouldn't want 1 whole year to themselves on the market as the only next-gen console? That's why that launch timing would hold appeal to Sony/even be considered.

Thankfully though, that's not the case, because man, would've sucked for the next-gen baseline to be set to whatever that console would've looked like (probably no SSD and a worse CPU).

I'm pretty sure the PS5 was always going to have the SSD and the powerful Zen CPU, and was delayed because those things weren't ready. Cerny sure made it seem in the Wired interview that the SSD was something devs were asking for from the start, and has likely been what the PS5 is built around from the beginning.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA

I get what your saying. Ya, not only would the baseline be screwed be MS would also have and advantage and would be able to improve on what Sony failed with (launch wise).
To have a year's headstart, obviously. If the PS5 had launched a year before Scarlett, it would have the generation won out of the gate, regardless of any power gap (and Sony would've been capable of mitigating that a little with a $600 BOM if they were concerned about it). It would've been another PS2 situation. But it obviously wasn't viable, due to either the tech or the games not being ready.
I think it's best for everybody that their releasing around the same time now. Hopefully power wise they'll both be within around 5-10% of each other.

Oct 25, 2017

If Gonzalo/PS5 is 8.5~9TF, no way Scarlett is weaker.
Devkits and Final Specs are different things.
Reiner can be right, based in early Devkits, not Final.

If the 380+mm2 Scarlett is right and Gonzalo is PS5, than next Xbox is more powerful for sure.

Oct 27, 2017

The 2019 talk is nonsense.

If Sony had wanted to launch in 2019 they would have. Even with the eventual lower powered system, it would have been a PS2 gen all over again. The brand power would have had the systems flying off the shelves no matter the power difference, and the snowball effect would have been in full force before the next Xbox had even launched. Sony, Microsoft and everyone who reads this know it. It would have been a blood bath.

Red Tapir

May 10, 2019
The delay from 2019 might very well be true, but I feel plans changed a loooong time ago.

Can't imagine MS leaving Sony a whole year to themselves.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The delay from 2019 might very well be true, but I feel plans changed a loooong time ago.

This is my take on things. I'm sure that Sony may have considered a late 2019 launch at some point in time, but that's it.

That said, I'm still a firm believer that Spring 2020 isn't out of the question.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
So many weeks have passed and we still keep jumping between 8-12tf (sometimes 14) on a daily basis. This thread is amusing. I'll give it that.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
THEORY TIME!

Everybody would win!

Thoughts?

Foxygames is full of shit.

HZD sequel won't be out until Q4 2021 at the soonest.
GT7, we be lucky to have it before 2022
Spider-man 2, probably Fall 2021, not 2020.
God of War 2 - 2022
Bloodborne 2, probably never.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Foxygames is full of shit.

GT7, we be lucky to have it before 2022
Spider-man 2, probably Fall 2021, not 2020.
God of War 2 - 2022
Bloodborne 2, probably never.
Interesting predictions. Here are some of mine:

HZD 2: Mid-2021
GT7: 2021
Spider-Man 2: 2022 (2021 would be surprising)
God Of War 2: 2021-2022

Last edited:

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spring would be awesome but I feel like something would have leaked by now if it was that soon

Yeah. The lack of any substantial leaks seems pretty telling.

Unless... *puts on tinfoil hat*

The Spring 2020 launch will just focus on improved patches for big first-party releases.

This isn't what's going to happen at all.

Side note... This was my crazy theory for a late 2019 release as well, but I also assumed that at least 2 of the big 3 upcoming first party titles would release by this fall. Instead, we're just looking at one (Death Stranding).

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018

He would if the initial plan for ps5 truly was 2019 and MS got wind of that. It wouldn't even be obfuscation on Sony's part, shit happened, it got delayed and they had time to work on things. What's more interesting to me is if Sony designed a more powerful console by reengineering an initially 2019 design than MS who always planned to have 2020. That's a bit of egg on your face, IF that's the scenario that took place

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017

I'm not convinced it was that long ago if the delay did happen. There were pretty solid info that dev kits were out in 2018 and there wouldn't be if late 2020 was the plan all along.

I hope once details start being officially released it makes things clearer.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Every gen we surpass CGI from a certain time period. This gen we matched 90s/early 2000s CGI.
It's the time taken for hardware and software improvements to reduce a rendering time per frame from hours to milliseconds.

According to wikipedia, Toy Story took anywhere form 45 minutes to 30 hours per frame. So at the upper end we're talking about having to be a million times faster to hit 30fps.

Which is an interesting number, does modern CGI really look a million times better than modern games?

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
He would if the initial plan for ps5 truly was 2019 and MS got wind of that. It wouldn't even be obfuscation on Sony's part, shit happened, it got delayed and they had time to work on things. What's more interesting to me is if Sony designed a more powerful console by reengineering an initially 2019 design than MS who always planned to have 2020. That's a bit of egg on your face, IF that's the scenario that took place

If MS thought that Sony was releasing in 2019 they would know the ceiling on power available and thus could know that a year later they'd be stronger. If Sony delayed to 2020 they are then picking from the same parts as MS for a 2020 launch. I'm not seeing the egg on face part. Seems like a regular business reality.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
Imagine what will happen if both machines will end up marketing 20TFlops
FP16
This may be a dumb question but why don't devs use FP16?
It's the time taken for hardware and software improvements to reduce a rendering time per frame from hours to milliseconds.

According to wikipedia, Toy Story took anywhere form 45 minutes to 30 hours per frame. So at the upper end we're talking about having to be a million times faster to hit 30fps.

Which is an interesting number, does modern CGI really look a million times better than modern games?
Art style has a lot to do with it. Pixar or Dreamworks don't need to aim for photorealism. I guess animation, polygon counts, and lighting are the only true factors that make CGI look so much better than real time. That's why it may seem with some games we've surpassed even modern CGI (even though we really haven't). Also, there are different methods and programming when it comes to real time. So no, CGI doesn't look a million times better because I don't think they would have to.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
There's so much that goes into a launching a console. Nevermind the physical box itself, that's just one of 50 things that has to be collaborated on in time for a specific launch date.

I understand now why the OS is always so barebones, but I'd hope that it'd be different this time.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
This may be a dumb question but why don't devs use FP16?

Art style has a lot to do with it. Pixar or Dreamworks don't need to aim for photorealism. I guess animation, polygon counts, and lighting are the only true factors that make CGI look so much better than real time. That's why it may seem with some games we've surpassed even modern CGI (even though we really haven't).

And particle effects, volumetrics etc. And physics though I don't know if you were including that in animation. Liquids, material movement...that sort of thing.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts

My take on this is that whatever the best they can both get from AMD is what they are both getting. And as of right now my money is on a 44CU GPU with 40CU active.

A GPU like that coupled with a ryzen CPU is probably the absolute best they can fit into a reasonable target power draw, f say like 190W - 200W. Both sony and MS probably know that they can't do better than that chip config, also know what that costs them and thus what it will kinda cost the other and probably now that the "other" is capable f building out such a system. Which leaves things to come down to things like RAM amount, memory bandwidth, CPU and GPU clocks, and SSD type or implementation.

MS doesn't have to have the best APU to set the "benchmark". That's mostly just PR talk and both companies will claim that wherever they excel at is what is most important t the future of games.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
GoW2 is 2022-23 probably
Spider-Man 2 will probably be released before God of War 2. I don't know if God of War will be released in 2021, but for Spider-Man it seems sure that it will be this year.

It would be so, so sad... Detroit and Until Dawn are some of the best exclusives this generation.

Because?

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Have never written a pastebin in my life. Nobody is really getting attention, they're all anonymous.

At this point it's popular enough of a platform for dumb shits to use it to waste our time with their gibberish. It's jumped the shark 🦈 and we should probably just ban it from discussion. The faking efforts are getting more and more trolling with time.

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
And particle effects, volumetrics etc. And physics though I don't know if you were including that in animation. Liquids, material movement...that sort of thing.
Ya, I included physics in with animation (in a game scenario would be different because animation doesn't necessarily rely on the same reactants as physics). We're getting closer to that in real time however. TLOU 2's motion-matching brings us one step closer. Physics and animation will probably be the next big leaps in immersion.

Status
Not open for further replies.