• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How much money are you willing to pay for a next generation console?

• Up to $199

Votes: 33 1.5%
  • Up to $299

Votes: 48 2.2%
  • Up to $399

Votes: 318 14.4%
  • Up to $499

Votes: 1,060 48.0%
  • Up to $599

Votes: 449 20.3%
  • Up to $699

Votes: 100 4.5%
  • I will pay anything!

Votes: 202 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
9 active dual CU per SE (10 with 1 disabled,same as 5700) = 18 CUs per SE = 54 CU for 3 SE
Way too big imo ...
That is even without audio block and RT!

F3iA6dH.png

It is getting worse if you actually put the underlying 320-bit memory bus into the SOC ... again without Audio and RT!

1fumM8m.png

cc Oluasc

Last edited:

Locuza

Mar 6, 2018
index7rj4n.jpg

(Old picture from VideoCardz after the first name drop of Arcturus)

The identity of Arcturus is finally revealed:
AMD Sends Out Linux Graphics Driver Patches For "Arcturus" As New Vega Derived GPU

But indeed this "Arcturus" part isn't based on Navi but rather a new swing on Vega based on Vega 20 in part.

So what is Arcturus? Betting on a soon-to-be-announced workstation card we'd bet could be announced as soon as SIGGRAPH. Remember just days ago we spotted a new AMD "GFX908" target added to the AMDGPU LLVM shader compiler code. GFX908 is a new Vega target not paired with an existing graphics card. It points to workstation due to ECC memory and other attributes.

We've also heard from AMD directly at the Navi event and E3 over their plans to continue to use Vega+HBM when it comes to workstation/compute offerings as Vega is still quite good in that regard.

So all things considered, Arcturus appears to be a forthcoming Vega workstation "Radeon Instinct" type offering we'd be could be announced at SIGGRAPH or Hot Chips based on the timing. Digging through this code drop today, it further points at a compute accelerator without any 3D support, "It's because Arcturus has not 3D engine."
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Arcturus-Linux-Driver-Patches

Thanks to the Arcturus codename we could dumb a lot of false rumors instantly, I will miss that a bit.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
index7rj4n.jpg

(Old picture from VideoCardz after the first name drop of Arcturus)

The identity of Arcturus is finally revealed:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Arcturus-Linux-Driver-Patches

Thanks to the Arcturus codename we could dumb a lot of false rumors instantly, I will miss that a bit.

Hopefully that will kill Arcturus related speculation once and for all.

It won't.

Also, will miss your old GitS avatar. Had to track that illustration and get it as a wallpaper. Way too good.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
320. I think I used 4.5mm^2 per 32 but bus, based mostly on what Duke measured. I'm no expert in this stuff, so I could be way off. Just pieced it together based on various estimates from others. I've got a spreadsheet saved on my laptop that I used to put all the info together.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
320. I think I used 4.5mm^2 per 32 but bus, based mostly on what Duke measured. I'm no expert in this stuff, so I could be way off. Just pieced it together based on various estimates from others. I've got a spreadsheet saved on my laptop that I used to put all the info together.
I think there is the difference.

I use 8.17mm^2 for a 32-bit GDDR6 PHY. Using my formula I also get to the 251.1mm^2 of a RX 5700 as a result (see below).

With your formula you should get a too low result.
Can you share your result for a RX 5700 XT with the below attributes (40 CUs, 2SE, 256-Bit memory bus)?

LyFYpTs.png

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
It seems Intel couldn't fathom the superiority of Zen 2 performance wise and price wise they are already announcing Comet Lake Core i10 (or whatever it will be).
Alas, by then AMD would already be doing a new Zen and still outclassing them. XD

Locuza

Mar 6, 2018
Hopefully that will kill Arcturus related speculation once and for all.
SPOILER: It won't.

Also, will miss your old GitS avatar. Had to track that illustration and get it as a wallpaper. Way too good.
I mean I like to have knowledge to invalidate false rumors immediately.
Otherwise you have even more spinning discussions about certain claims and people build wrong expectations.

PS: I would probaly still have the old avatar but I saw another ResetEra member using it and thought it would be time to settle down with something I made myself and wouldn't lead to possible confusion.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
I think there is the difference.

I use 8.17mm^2 for a 32-bit GDDR6 PHY. Using my formula I also get to the 251.1mm^2 of a RX 5700 as a result (see below).

With your formula you should get a too low result.
Can you share your result for a RX 5700 XT with the below attributes (40 CUs, 2SE, 256-Bit memory bus)?

LyFYpTs.png
My calc spreadsheet is on my laptop which I left at work, I'll check it out tomorrow and see what I've got.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
My calc spreadsheet is on my laptop which I left at work, I'll check it out tomorrow and see what I've got.
Make use of the cloud! I can access this (my) Excel sheet from anywhere, even on my phones ;)

I get so lost when we start doing die size calculations.
Okay I will stop it. But it is a good indicator tool for what is realistic and what is not!

#Teamdisappointment :P
Just a reality check ... and a reason why I am still on 256-bit in my own prediction!

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018
Have we seen any in game benchmarks on RX 5700 overclocked (maybe with a BIOS flash) to XT speeds? The non-XT card is already suspiciously close to the XT in most benchmarks. I wonder how Navi scales with extra CUs.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
Right now in top 10 Amazon us video games, there are 4 PlayStation consoles . No wonder Sony doesn't feel the need to reveal more about ps5.they r selling PS4 strongly .Feb 2020 is the earliest we hear about ps5 .it is what it is I guess but damn I was hoping we would hear about it earlier rather than later .

Yeah Sony is not reallly worried and should take their time.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right now in top 10 Amazon us video games, there are 4 PlayStation consoles . No wonder Sony doesn't feel the need to reveal more about ps5.they r selling PS4 strongly .Feb 2020 is the earliest we hear about ps5 .it is what it is I guess but damn I was hoping we would hear about it earlier rather than later .

Same story over in Amazon.uk

Top 7 are Playstation related.

People thirsty for niche-man.

Mar 11, 2019
I was not aware there would be such a big difference in FPS between the 3700x and the 2700x and 1800x (about 10% and 20% respectively), let alone the difference between current gen CPU and a ZEN 2 CPU. Combined with a SSD and Navi GPU+RT, besides the graphical advancements will also make it possible to have novel gameplay elements not possible with current gen. And with all this to have a significant leap over current gen including the pro and xbox x a price tag of 499 is almost a certainty imo. As I doubt both Microsoft and Sony would risk going any higher.

Next gen to me is really promising with the focus on not having bottle necks and trying to introduce new technology with lessons learned from the past.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I was not aware there would be such a big difference in FPS between the 3700x and the 2700x and 1800x (about 10% and 20% respectively), let alone the difference between current gen CPU and a ZEN 2 CPU. Combined with a SSD and Navi GPU+RT, besides the graphical advancements will also make it possible to have novel gameplay elements not possible with current gen. And with all this to have a significant leap over current gen including the pro and xbox x a price tag of 499 is almost a certainty imo. As I doubt both Microsoft and Sony would risk going any higher.

Next gen to me is really promising with the focus on not having bottle necks and trying to introduce new technology with lessons learned from the past.
My question though is can Indies take advantage of those options? Or is it just first party, Ubisoft and Bethesda?

Mar 11, 2019
My question though is can Indies take advantage of those options? Or is it just first party, Ubisoft and Bethesda?
That does not really matter, indie games that do not take advantage of the hardware can be fun as well, as with current gen you have seen that many games have not taken fully advantage of the ps4/xbox hardware. However they should for example be able to run better physics / higher framerates / resolutions, or focus on few elements of the new hardware to make their indie game standout.

There are still plenty of studios that can take full advantage of the hardware, and I believe these AAA games will be a major selling point for the new consoles.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
A fair number of indies had a number of performance issues due to the low speed CPUs in current consoles, especially if they were built on Unity. New hardware will allow them to power through issues like that and have the game be more polished on more platforms. Higher specs raise everyone up. Plus raytracing could help indie devs speed up advanced lighting processes, CPUs could allow for more complex physics interactions, SSDs will speed up load times for everything. Lots of benefits to games outside of AAA.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
A fair number of indies had a number of performance issues due to the low speed CPUs in current consoles, especially if they were built on Unity. New hardware will allow them to power through issues like that and have the game be more polished on more platforms. Higher specs raise everyone up. Plus raytracing could help indie devs speed up advanced lighting processes, CPUs could allow for more complex physics interactions, SSDs will speed up load times for everything. Lots of benefits to games outside of AAA.

Yep we will get better res , frame rate , effects for indies .
More power will help everyone even if they don't take full advantage of it .

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I'd say that some stuff, like vastly increased CPU power, might end up having a bigger impact on a certain crop of indies than in most AAA gaming. If you're doing a lot of procedural generation on the fly, for instance, something that tends to show up much more often in indie games.

And now we just wait for the inevitable No Man's Sky port for the PS5 :D

Trilobite

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I guess I am a pessimist still disappointed with the the PSX -> Ps2 leap from way back.
For an affordable console I am guesstimating it'll match a high end PC performance circa 2014 which will be pretty nice considering the price point.
From what I have read a lot of the USP's seems to revolve around incorporating an SSD and fast RAM to reduce loading times.
For a consumer product for the mass market it is going to be priced attractively while not bringing anything revolutionary.
I will be very successful no doubt.

Personally I am still a bit bummed about getting the PS4Pro and realizing that 4K/60 was just a pipe-dream.

My PC from five years ago is still going strong so I am not missing out. But then, I paid an arm and a leg for that thing.
Can't wait to buy the PS5Pro for half of that price.

Team 599 (799, adjusted for inflation).

Metalane

Jun 30, 2019
Massachusetts, USA
I guess I am a pessimist still disappointed with the the PSX -> Ps2 leap from way back.
For an affordable console I am guesstimating it'll match a high end PC performance circa 2014 which will be pretty nice considering the price point.
From what I have read a lot of the USP's seems to revolve around incorporating an SSD and fast RAM to reduce loading times.
For a consumer product for the mass market it is going to be priced attractively while not bringing anything revolutionary.
I will be very successful no doubt.

Personally I am still a bit bummed about getting the PS4Pro and realizing that 4K/60 was just a pipe-dream.

My PC from five years ago is still going strong so I am not missing out. But then, I paid an arm and a leg for that thing.
Can't wait to buy the PS5Pro for half of that price.

Team 599 (799, adjusted for inflation).
What?

Status
Not open for further replies.